Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

My list of things from this game:

#1 This game has really fun combat! And when I say that, I mean you actually have to do something, you sit around and press buttons, you very easily just die/have to overly rely on potions.
#2 The areas and monsters look fun and interesting!
#3 All the classes feel different and you can find something that you really like!
#4 a) The questing is horrible! The story is abysmal!
b) Leveling up doesn't take too long, you get help from your guild/goons, so a) doesn't really matter.
c) The cutscenes are hilarious.
#5 a) The armor on the different races look different! (yes there's a metal bikini, but there's also a fur coat looking thing, and loads of other cool ones)
b) The races too look very different.
#6 a) EME is actually really good about customer support/making the game better. There is no future dread for me. True, some stuff takes ages to put in game, but it's an MMO so that's understandable.
b) Frogster/Gameforge ie. The European Publisher for Tera is super terrible! Don't go there, it's full of pain, tears and misery!
c) The NA server Goon guild has a ton of europeans and it's not an issue at all. I get usually around 220ms to the game, and I don't really notice it. (But admittedly some classes suffer from it a bit more than others)
#7 a) If you buy the core game, you get 'Founder' status which is very generous in its list of things you get, and you never have to pay again and you still keep them and it doesn't cost that much.
b) Elite (ie. the subscription) gets you some really cool stuff. My favourite thing is the "Village Atlas", it lets you teleport to any pegasus platform for free, without cooldown so you can zoom around the world really fast. (It's incredibly useful for when you're 60)

tl;dr:
I like this game, and even just the combat of this is game enough to justify the bad parts that are very few in my opinion.
I highly recommend people to try it out, just to see how the combat feels like, since it's nothing like pretty much any other MMO out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Grogsy posted:

Wow did the EU publisher screw this up...

Anyhow, for those of us in the EU it would be cool to see some lag info in the op. As in how bad is it to play from the EU side.

Normally I would not be worried but it is an action MMO after all :)

Well the game is free so I guess I can just download it and check it out for myself :)

You totally didn't read my post. :smith:
Anyway, just to answer your question, it's totally fine, some classes suffer from it more, like apparently archers. So if an EU goon has tried those they could answer a bit more in depth.
I usually get 200-240ms. Even with the active combat it doesn't feel like a problem.

ninjaedit: Kane! Add some lag info to the op itself for our EU goon friends who are too lazy to scroll down to my post. :toot:

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

RE: Crafting
They've fixed up the crafting a lot since launch, but it's still very expensive since the amount of regents is so high. So not really an early game thing at all. But you do have crafting quests, and especially potions/one time use scrolls are really useful, so those might be worth it to level up a bit even before hitting 60.
(Money becomes pretty much a non-issue once you hit 60, so you can fund crafting while getting end game armor very easily)

The thing is, you don't really need a ton of potions, since you can easily get good enough to fight with just HP regen crystals on (bits of things you put in armor to get active stats)
Combat is just as much about not getting hit, as it is connecting your own hits. If you do what I call "facetanking" (ie. tanking with your face) you're going to die very quickly unless you group up with a healer, who might get very pissed off at you for draining his/her mana all the time. :)

Every enemy has a 'tell'/set of moves that you learn as you fight them, so you avoid most if not all of the dmg. Or at least the high powered moves that would get you flattened.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Pierson posted:

Oh just a new zone? Fantastic. The one I'm in looks great but yeah the mob health is insane, and that I'm a Lancer doesn't really help.

There's several zones to choose from, with quests giving insane amounts of XP, there's literally a quest in bastion that's "pick up 10 grass for me" and you get 1mil.
And another where you take a walk with Kaia (the goddess of war or something) while she kills waves of argons, and presto, you get 10 million XP for it.
So yeah, besides the enemies hitting for less dmg, having less health, the quests give a ton more experience as well. In short, it's a super fast cake walk to get from 58 to 60.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Now that I think of it, I think I'm not seeing anything on the guild quest board because I'm not in a guild. I am dumb. I'm stuck on the old PvE server, so no goon guild for me. And all the guilds here scare me. I don't really want to join the loli brigade.

You can transfer from PvE to PvP if you're lvl 40 or higher :toot:

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Welp, saw the Unified Field Labs new mount for the first time, looks really loving freaky.

Also, my screenshots look terrible, I have no idea if there's some settings I could set so it saves them in higher quality png which would be nice.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Bowrrl posted:

Dude is now offering 500g.

I just started playing yesterday so I'm not up to date with current goon events. What did you guys do to piss him off?

It's right on the previous page.

We didn't get the usual area we have for vanarchy, but we got Lumbertown's area.
And then Crowd disabled PvP in the area. And the amount of butthurt clenching suddenly generated could power a space elevator.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Just started getting into the game... And I am seriously liking it. Wish I had joined earlier...

Any inclinations that the game is flopping in F2P? I can really see myself playing this game for a while and I don't want to invest time (and probably money for Elite status) only to see the game die in a month or two :(

As far as I can tell they're doing really well. There's really high player numbers, and people are using the cash shop a lot. There's tons of stuff on the broker that people bought for real game moneys, besides just using them themselves.

Edit: Also tons of people with Elite status (the subsciption)

Edit2: Re: Kelsaik: I still haven't done Kelsaik, on any of my characters =/ I've been meaning to now that my armor is better so I don't die so horribly quite so fast, but the fire/ice mechanic is really loving annoying, or it was when I tried it.

Zaq fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 25, 2013

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Phosphia posted:

The F2P launch could have been a lot worse. As for the companies' income I don't think they have any problems. I have the feeling an awful lot of people are still paying subscription.

Well it helps that the Elite stuff you get is actually really good.
The Village Atlas alone is pretty much worth it, and then you get three boosts as well.
(the mount is kinda useless, unless you somehow always wanted to have a nexus warhorse for some reason)

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

That depends on what changes EME makes to the drop rates of stuff.
Sometimes stuff gets exponentionally more expensive, and sometimes the price drops dramatically.
I can't imagine they'll be going more expensive though... 4.5k sounds ridiculously high even for inflated prices.
So I'd sell them now, but it's totally up to you =D

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Amante posted:

Are the rewards for the powerleveling thing any good? Re: the shades -- are those exclusive or just something you get in the shop?

They are worth some money/gold sure, nothing really to start farming alternate accounts for. But if you're just starting up, they're a nice incentive for it.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

tyblazitar posted:

I got up early today (GMT+1) to start powerleveling with my friend, but after seeing the changes we decided to just stay on EU. gently caress you, Enmasse.

Erm, what? The prizes are great, and even if they weren't, it's still way worth it to roll on NA since Frogster/Gameforge is terrible =/ That's been established several times in several ways.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Phosphia posted:

I can only say I found out about this later than I would have liked as well.

They only put it in in the latest patch.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

I haven't played in two years and my priest is still in the guild :confused:

The drat gunner tease drew me back in, and so far in the beginning it's really fun. Ridiculous, but fun.
Don't really know if I'll end up playing again for reals. They did give three days of free Elite status which does help to smooth out the leveling.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

The classes are different enough that I would suggest trying them out yourself. And sometimes that feeling for a class changes as they get more skills.
So this xp event is perfect for that, you level up ridiculously quickly and get a good quick feel for how they function.

Can't really tell you about pvp, except that it's a lot about how well you know the character you're playing. There's plenty of terrible pvpers like me to roll over if you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Gindack posted:

How long has it been taking yall to level 60-65? Last time I played WH raids were a thing and I am thinking about picking it back up.

I've had a lot more work after getting my gunner to 65, and switched to my priest (who was 60 from when I played years ago). Even with its ridiculously slow killrate I've gotten to 64 in a few days, with a few hours every day.

The story quests for the 60-65 stuff gives a fuckton of money and XP, don't bother doing anything else if you want to level up quickly.

ninjaedit: also don't ignore the vanguard missions (they're missions that pop up as you move through an area) they give good xp, plus some feedstock as well. You can't quite reach 65 by just doing the story missions.

Zaq fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 28, 2015

• Locked thread