Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Taciturn Tactician posted:

This is basically at the core of every Murphy involving forced actions in games and every weird forced action exception in games. Setting mines and then firing arrows over them so your opponent has to charge over the mines to stop you? Good tactics. Setting mines, then picking up the enemy and dunking them onto the mines? Extremely silly and potentially immersion breaking. It's only a "trap" for your enemy if your enemy's actions contribute in any way to activating it.

Actually dunking dudes into mines is :krad: and should be done as often as possible, and if you were a real tactician you would've known that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

My time in dynasty warriors has taught me that the best traps usually involve beating a couple hundred dudes up, then lighting their general on fire.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My time in Super Robot Wars has taught me that the best traps involve armies of giant robots fighting each other and also horrifying abuses of the time-space continuum.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
any issues with using forced movement to trigger traps and hazards can probably be handled simply by reining in the amount of damage caused by the trap/hazard so that it's valuable enough to want to do without causing instant kills

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hyphz posted:

Pathfinder 2e, it turns out, has a complete mess of rules related to responding to a character or creature moving.

As is common in 3e related games, you can make 5' steps to move around safely. A Step which "doesn't trigger reactions that can be triggered by move actions or upon leaving or entering a square".

You can also have someone else push you. Forced movement "doesn’t trigger reactions that are triggered by movement." Or, if you're a really bold demonologist, you can have a Barbazu do the moving; if a Barbazu uses its Reposition ability, it can make you move in a way that "does not trigger reactions." Full stop.

This seems fair enough until you look through the hazards section and realize that a whole bunch of hazards are written up in terms of triggers and reactions, that these moves therefore technically ignore. Also, many of them are misworded.

• If you step or are pushed, or run or jump, onto a loose trap door it doesn't open.
  • You can cross quicksand freely as long as you keep jumping up and down. (Its trigger is "walking" onto its square.)
  • If a Barbazu pushes you onto a pressure-sensitive floor tile or a tripwire, it doesn't trigger.
  • If you step or are pushed over a patch of spore-emitting mold it's not at all bothered.
  • A moray eel hiding in its lair waiting to strike cannot strike you if you are thrown towards it.
  • A hammer trap in an entrance will hit you if you walk through yourself, but not if you're pushed through.
  • If you walk into a planar rift you're transported into it, but if someone pushes you into it nothing happens.
  • But a trapped poison dart mechanism will fire at you no matter which of these you do.

(This is what happens if you wonder if it's possible to write RPG rules up to DITA standard...)

I like how PF2E feels the need to clarify that "when you are dead, you cannot take actions" but doesn't have a consistent definition of "move" or "walk"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Omnicrom posted:

My time in Super Robot Wars has taught me that the best traps involve armies of giant robots fighting each other and also horrifying abuses of the time-space continuum.

The only thing in Super Robot Wars that gets abused more than the fabric of the universe is children!

:smith:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Every SRW has a bad GM moment where the party are untouchable and blowing through mook after mook and then the GM goes "and uhhh, so you're getting overwhelmed, there's too many guys" and everyone has to go "Oh no! We can't keep this up!" despite it being someone doing the hand on a child's head so they can't hit them thing.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like how PF2E feels the need to clarify that "when you are dead, you cannot take actions" but doesn't have a consistent definition of "move" or "walk"

They read the part of this thread about the RAW definition of drowning and death.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

gradenko_2000 posted:

any issues with using forced movement to trigger traps and hazards can probably be handled simply by reining in the amount of damage caused by the trap/hazard so that it's valuable enough to want to do without causing instant kills

I mean, for intelligent foes, a visible trap that cannot be triggered by forced movement is essentially a boulder that doesn't provide cover. If it really made flavor sense to have the distinction, I think the d20 solution would not be "no forced movement", but to have a saving throw of some kind when the target is aware of the trap.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean the Edition That Shall Not Be Named (4e) solution was you get a saving throw to not fall into bad things on forced movement but we're not allowed to take good ideas from that system because it is unclean and this is Pathfinder.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

Glagha posted:

I mean the Edition That Shall Not Be Named (4e) solution was you get a saving throw to not fall into bad things on forced movement but we're not allowed to take good ideas from that system because it is unclean and this is Pathfinder.
Only some things if I recall. Pushing someone over a cliff granted a save to fall prone at the edge instead, but pushing someone into the Wizard's wall of eldritch flame didn't. That led to ridiculous pingpong shenanigans where you bounced enemies in and out of zones repeatedly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Masiakasaurus posted:

Only some things if I recall. Pushing someone over a cliff granted a save to fall prone at the edge instead, but pushing someone into the Wizard's wall of eldritch flame didn't. That led to ridiculous pingpong shenanigans where you bounced enemies in and out of zones repeatedly.

Strike! had an explicit rule on only taking area damage once per round - being waved back and forth through fire isn't going to hurt you more than being held in it - which is an obvious patch-job, but effective.

I feel like PF should just let things trigger on forced movement, and give the reactions where this is inappropriate an explicit exception. So AoO would trigger "when an adjacent enemy voluntarily moves away from you".

Or even "you cant react to movement you cause". The current rules are messy, contradictory, and likely to be house-ruled into something else just for simplicitiy.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Strike! had an explicit rule on only taking area damage once per round - being waved back and forth through fire isn't going to hurt you more than being held in it - which is an obvious patch-job, but effective.
Yup. Pretty much everything in that potentially-abusable category in 4E was eventually errata'd to be limited to once per turn, or the first time the trigger occurs, or something similar. While it was kinda funny to wave a monster back and forth over your shaman's at-will Blazing Starfall to make it fall over, it was incredibly degenerate.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Flame Spiral was the big one that remained after the great nerfening, along with a couple of daily powers.

But even at its most broken, 4e wasn't especially broken.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The forced movement + damage strat was good if only because it resulted in a build for 4e where two fighters juggle an enemy back and forth between them until death. It was called Knights of the Roxbury.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Glagha posted:

The forced movement + damage strat was good if only because it resulted in a build for 4e where two fighters juggle an enemy back and forth between them until death. It was called Knights of the Roxbury.
Sir Thomas and his ally, the Pinball Wizard

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nessus posted:

Sir Thomas and his ally, the Pinball Wizard

Something something somatic components something something such a supple wri~ist.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
In Call of Cthulhu 6th Ed, reading long, boring, difficult books causes Sanity damage:

quote:

Reading an occult book usually costs no Sanity, but not always—it might be lost because of dullness, complexity, length, or incomprehensibility.

One of the books is The Zohar, which causes 1/1d6+1 Sanity damage if you read it. This is more than "find mangled human corpse" (1/1d4+1) and very close to "undergo severe torture" (0/1d10). Unlike severe torture, even if you pass your Sanity check, you still take damage.

More importantly, The Zohar is a real book. Reading dense, difficult books on any topic should also cause Sanity damage.

So in CoC you can't play a professor because anybody with a PhD is already insane.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.

Not The Wendigo posted:

One of the books is The Zohar, which causes 1/1d6+1 Sanity damage if you read it.

It's not just 6th Ed.; The Zohar is still listed as causing Sanity damage in the 7E rulebook, though the amount has been changed to 1/1D3+1. Nor is it the only real book that causes Sanity loss; there's also Frazier's The Golden Bough—which, as it happens, I've read, so welp, guess I lost some Sanity.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jerik posted:

It's not just 6th Ed.; The Zohar is still listed as causing Sanity damage in the 7E rulebook, though the amount has been changed to 1/1D3+1. Nor is it the only real book that causes Sanity loss; there's also Frazier's The Golden Bough—which, as it happens, I've read, so welp, guess I lost some Sanity.

To be fair, the Golden Bough is so infuriatingly wrong and bad that I might buy that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Not The Wendigo posted:

So in CoC you can't play a professor because anybody with a PhD is already insane.

i don't know what you're talking about that sounds realistic to me

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.

Mors Rattus posted:

To be fair, the Golden Bough is so infuriatingly wrong and bad that I might buy that.

Heh. Fair enough. I said I'd read it; I didn't say I agreed with Frazier's theses.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Jerik posted:

Assume this is the secret occult appendix or something. Go full Bible Code and make the PCs get out templates and count every 16th letter.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Not The Wendigo posted:

In Call of Cthulhu 6th Ed, reading long, boring, difficult books causes Sanity damage:

One of the books is The Zohar, which causes 1/1d6+1 Sanity damage if you read it. This is more than "find mangled human corpse" (1/1d4+1) and very close to "undergo severe torture" (0/1d10). Unlike severe torture, even if you pass your Sanity check, you still take damage.

More importantly, The Zohar is a real book. Reading dense, difficult books on any topic should also cause Sanity damage.

Huh, I guess the lesson here is that you dont mess with the Zohar.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I took 1d6+1 sanity damage from that pun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I took 1d6+1 sanity damage from that pun.

If he was in the room he'd be taking 1d6+db physical damage from that pun, because someone would stab his rear end.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jedit posted:

If he was in the room he'd be taking 1d6+db physical damage from that pun, because someone would stab his rear end.

Some-One? Please, we'd take turns.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro
Here's a murphy from the Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying system, which I'm currently refreshing myself on as part of a FATAL & Friends review.

The game includes what amount to three different systems of conflict resolution: Combat, the classic character-scale fighting with which we're all familiar; Intrigue, which is social interaction as combat dressed up with hitpoints Composure and various modifiers for how much the participants like each other; and Warfare, which is a crappy off-brand wargame that covers mass combat. We'll be looking at how Warfare works for this one.

Generally, a Unit in warfare is comprised of 100 men. These might be archers, swordsmen, mercenaries, or the like. They have a statline as with regular characters, and move and attack in similar ways. Unlike character-scale combat, there are optional rules for formations, maneuvers, and flanking, which aim to add some sort of tactical element to what otherwise would play out like two 40k Ork armies facing off.

Not everyone who plays tRPGs is a wargaming fan, and there can only be one Commander for an army. Out of a party of, presumably, more than one person. Though, the system does a somewhat passable job of making sure that people who aren't Commanding the armies aren't left out. This is by giving those players a number of actions they can take to contribute to the combat. Due to the larger scale of Warfare, each player character gets five rounds worth of actions to take before the Units act on their orders.

If you're the Commander of the army, you can Renounce Command, letting someone else have a go of it. You can attach yourself to a Unit, fighting alongside them and providing support. You can also recklessly charge in at an entire unit of 100 men by yourself, if you're feeling suicidal.

Rather than any of those, we're going to look at the Attack Portions of Unit action.

This lets you fight a 10-round combat against 10 enemy combatants (because nothing excites the table more than having one player spend a long combat by themselves). Make a note of the two things I've called out in particular - that this is a Lesser action, meaning you can do it twice per round (and players get five rounds of actions per turn of Warfare, meaning you can do this 10 times in total); and that each man who's slain in an Attack Portions of Unit action costs the Unit one point of health.

Well, that's can't be too useful. I mean, it's 100 men - they've got to have a pretty large health pool in comparison to a character, which averages 12-18, right?

Oh.

Also of note is that armour in the game makes you easier to hit, but gives you greater protection against damage (in this case, soaking 4 damage per hit).

Now, let's be fair - you're still pitting a single character against 10 combatants. This could be a nasty mistake, especially given how fatal combat in the game can be. A quick summary is that, on an attack, for every 5 points (degrees of success) you roll over the target's combat defense, you increment the multiplier on your damage by 1. So if you roll 5-9 over the target number, you double your damage. This goes up to 4x at 15+.

So far, so good. Let's see what the Combat Defense of the 10 individual men our brave hero will be facing is. Combat Defense is a character's Agility + Athletics + Awareness - Armor Penalty. With our example unit, that means their Combat Defense is 2 + 2 + 2 - 4 = 2.

Oh. Well, that's okay, right? They're soaking 4 damage out of every hit, so that mitigates a lot... right?

Meet Larry Longshot.

Source: Drawception, found on Google Images

Larry is a dwarf, in the style of fan-favourite Tyrion Lannister. Unlike Tyrion, though, Larry is skilled at killing people with a bow and arrows. Very skilled, in fact.

He's not some Epic-level character; Larry is decently optimised, but is almost solely a product of baseline character creation.

His Marksmanship skill is 5 (an average person is Marksmanship 2), and he's invested 4 points into the Bows specialty. Bows require training to use, so you drop one of the bonus dice from being specialized (You straight-up lose one of your main ability dice if you're untrained). This means that on every shot, he's rolling 5 + 4 - 1 = 8d6, keeping the highest 5.

Meaning he has no chance to not hit one of the poor saps in that Unit of infantry - who, by the way, are armed with swords and can deal no ranged damage. Not in the budget, you see.

In addition, Larry has an outstanding bow, and plenty of arrows. His bow damage is based on his Agility (which is 6), and modified by his Strength (3) plus a flat 1 for the quality of his bow. So with one degree of success he's dealing 10 damage, 4 of which is soaked by the Infantrymen's armour, taking out ⅔ of one man's health per shot.

Okay, that's nice and all, but they're still alive. Wait, poo poo, we forgot about the degrees-of-success fuckery that multiplies damage. Well, let's see what the average of 8d6, keeping only the highest 5 dice, looks like.

Oh.

So his average roll is 22.39; let's be charitable and round down. With a 22, against a Combat Defense of 2, that means he exceeds the target by 20; firmly putting him in the 4x damage bracket. So that single shot is now dealing (6 × 4 = 24) + 4 = 28 damage per shot. Which, to be fair, is reduced by 4; in exchange, the infantryman is reduce to a smear.

Is that enough? Maybe not. There are still 9 more of them, they're pissed that their friend got merked, and they're coming for Larry. Larry knows this, however, and has started pretty far away from them. For the sake of argument, we'll assume he's 20 yards away - well within range of his bow. The infantrymen can move 3.5 yards per round, and Larry can run away 3. So a net gain of 0.5 yards per round - let's give them the benefit of the doubt and call it 1.

They're 20 turns' worth of movement away; this is a problem for them, as they'll all be dead in 10 rounds. Not only that, but the combat will be over - remember, this miniature combat is limited to 10 rounds.

Okay, so Larry might be able to kill 9 or 10 of them, narrowly escaping death himself. That's 9-10% of the total men in the Unit, so we'd correspondingly reduce their health, right?

Oh yeah. Well, that's okay, they've got plenty, right?

Whoops.

Looks like our little dwarf friend, if luck goes his way and he can keep his range, is able to force a unit into a Disorganized state, giving them a whopping -1 die on all of their tests. Furthermore, they won't be restored to being Organized unless given the appropriate Order (which is at a -3 due to their disorganization), and if they take any more damage they Rout.

Routing units attempt to flee the field, as anyone familiar with Total War can tell you. They can be Rallied by a Commander but, again, that's an Order that would take place after all of Larry's turns.

If a Routing unit takes any damage, they are Destroyed and removed from play.

If Larry's luck holds true, this one little man can completely Destroy three units of 100 men each, and Disorganize another. Or, if he wants to spread the hurt around a little more, he could Rout five units - which is likely to be the majority, if not entirety, of the enemy force.

At least the enemy commander can rest assured that the remainder of Larry's party probably isn't going to be doing as much damage to his forces, right?

Well, maybe not. But his men aren't going to do much, either.

Althalin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 4, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Always bring archers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
But only if they're named characters. Faceless mook archers don't really do anything.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jabor posted:

But only if they're named characters. Faceless mook archers don't really do anything.

You just need more archers then.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

To be fair, this example uses chumps from Flaveurtown. If it was a real elite fighting unit, like say Margueriteville Heavy Infantry, this would be a different story.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah yes, the Margueriteville Heavy Infantry, aka the Wasters, masters of the "Lost Shako" assault

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

Ah yes, the Margueriteville Heavy Infantry, aka the Wasters, masters of the "Lost Shako" assault

Boo this man!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phy posted:

Margueriteville
Is that near Pina, Colorado?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Some people claim that there’s a kobold to blame.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 20, 2019

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
But I know, it’s the dice’s fault.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I did a simpler look over the math in ASoIaF way back and ranged characters are basically mobile murder machines. The strongest creatures in the book stands little chance against a lone archer from char gen. God forbid more than one. Iirc, individual archers are better than having an actual unit of them too

Xelkelvos posted:

This fits best in here I realize. There's an A Song of Fire and Ice TTRPG made by Green Ronin which involve rolling pools of d6s. It touts itself as having a relatively robust social combat and warfare system in addition to regular combat and styles itself as relatively gritty. One issue is that players and NPCs follow almost all of the same rules except for the damage mitigation rules. Enemies specifically do not get to utilize these things which has some potentially unintended consequences.

Rolls in the system are basically rolling a number of d6s equal to the relevant stat and summing it up. Success is meeting a given target value and extra degrees of successes are gained by exceeding it by a certain amount. Specialties allow for rolling of more dice, but they keep however much they have in a stat. Damage from weapons is just the stat value. Extra degrees of success are a multiplier to damage.

Having high Agility and Marksmanship can and will ruin most enemies in a few hits. Marksmanship determines to-hit and Agility determines damage for bows. Since a Standard Attack is a lesser action, a player can generally get off two hits on an enemy before anyone else even gets to act since Agility is also used for Initiative. Take the stock Scout with Marksman 5 Bows 3 and Agility 4 with their starting Longbow. Against a Knight, on average, they'll have 4 degrees of success (average roll is 23 against the Knight's 7 Defense) for 24 base damage (Longbow damage is Agility+2) and 18 total damage after reduction. The Knight has 9 health. Against a Knight of Quality, they'll get the same base damage (same 23 vs 7), but the DR from Armor makes it 13 damage with the best armor and shield available to them. They have 12 health. Welcome to combat against humans in this game.

Against a Giant, the results are largely the same, except that it's 18 base damage that goes to 15. Their health is coincidentally that much. About the only things listed in the core book that wont die to a single average shot by the Scout is the Mammoth (two shot), certain steeds (same) and The Others (three shot, or one shot if using fire arrows). English style longbowman tactics will pretty much ruin any groups of individual units and can definitely pincushion players into a pule of Wounds and Injuries.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 26, 2019

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
In Pathfinder 2e, Sea Serpents and Dragon Turtles have the special ability to capsize boats.

There are no other meaningful attacks on boats, and no other creatures have this ability, not even much bigger level ones.

“Don’t worry, cap’n, it’s only a Kraken...”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Wizards of the Coast recently released a partnership between D&D 5e and the Legends of Runeterra Collectible Card Game, including 3 new subclasses for the Fighter, Rogue and Barbarian. The fighter subclass is the Renegade, meant to be a ranged fighter with some abilities keyed off of charisma. It's pretty neat, even if it is another Charisma-focused option in a game that frankly has a bit of an overreliance on the stat already, but there's one thing about it which is... Odd.

The subclass' abilities are unlocked at level 3, with the Gunfighter Form feature. This is meant to be where you decide if you're going to focus on close-range multiattacks or long range, high-damage single-shot attacks. The problem is, the way both options are worded is missing something.

Pistoleer posted:

As an action on your turn, you can target a creature within 30 feet and shoot. Make a ranged attack roll against the target. You are proficient with the attack, and on a hit, the attack deals piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Dexterity modifier.

Sniper posted:

As an action on your turn, you can target a creature within 120 feet and shoot. Make a ranged attack roll against the target. You are proficient with the attack, and on a hit, the attack deals piercing damage equal to 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier.

You're clearly meant to read that as "shoot with a firearm you are wielding", but at no point is the player actually required to be weilding a weapon to use this action. A pistoleer who attacks by spitting watermelon seeds at high velocity or a sniper that fires a laser beam from their eyes are technically both valid options to run with this subclass.

This gets even sillier when you get to the 'modifications' that can be added; with the right choices, your unarmed fighter can:

• cause any creature within 120 ft to be restrained
  • make a 10ft cube of vision obscuring smoke appear anywhere within 120ft
  • do 3d10+Dex piercing damage to a 15ft cone
  • shoot a 30ft line of lightning
  • or make all of their attacks do bonus fire damage for a turn

I'd applaud Wizards for their bravery in opening up this new design space for themselves if I had any reason to believe this wasn't just the result of poor proof-reading.