Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Really almost every BG3 change to 5e's rules are just objectively better and should be backported to the tabletop.

It wouldn't be the first time. The discrete grid based, individual turn based combat, as opposed to loosely goosey ruler based team scrimmage wargaming, was basically back ported from Gold Box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

blastron posted:

They then built what was effectively a brand new game from the ground up,
Lol I wish

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I don’t want to get into a deep dive on the source of 4e’s flaws, but when I pick apart its core rules I see a new game that leans on older editions for inspiration, rather than an iteration on the previous edition. It may have been an exaggeration to say it was new “from the ground up”, but not by much.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tendales posted:

It wouldn't be the first time. The discrete grid based, individual turn based combat, as opposed to loosely goosey ruler based team scrimmage wargaming, was basically back ported from Gold Box.

when I ran a 5e game we went loose goosey with 2e style initiative and it made fights 10min instead of 1/3rd the session

the grid can burn in hell

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

blastron posted:

I don’t want to get into a deep dive on the source of 4e’s flaws, but when I pick apart its core rules I see a new game that leans on older editions for inspiration, rather than an iteration on the previous edition. It may have been an exaggeration to say it was new “from the ground up”, but not by much.
especially when compared to the minor, almost unnoticeable mechanical differences between 2e and 3e

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Peanut Butler posted:

when I ran a 5e game we went loose goosey with 2e style initiative and it made fights 10min instead of 1/3rd the session

the grid can burn in hell

You can also save a lot of time by eating all food raw.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I liked 4e for the same reason everyone hated it: It didn't make a lot of pretense about D&D being first and foremost a game about fighting monsters in (hopefully) interesting setpiece encounters, and leaned into making that as robust and satisfying as they could-- on both sides of the screen. It was my favorite edition to DM because building combat encounters was fun and rolling dice on the table and challenging the players felt very honed.

It wasn't without it's flaws (feat bloat, skill challenges were half baked-- hell raw dough) but I think there's really something to the fact that they "pulled back the curtain" too much as someone said upthread and it freaked people out. People really seemed to respond badly to leaning into making it a capital G Game you just played wanted to retreat a little more into a fuzzy theater of the mind campfire narration. I'd argue the two modes aren't incompatible, but I can see where it takes a bit more imagination to paper over your encounter power martial burst attack power or whatever and how that works as a narrative conciet for some people.

I've made my peace with it and however people play is fine with me. I'm onboard with 5e because it's the lingua franca of D&D but I do miss just how satisfying a good combat encounter in 4e could be with both the DM and the player using complimentary abilities on all the combatants.

Anyway for an on topic tax, gravity is markedly lower in D&D than in the real world. Terminal velocity is 500 ft/6 second round. In the real world you'd fall another ~80 or so feet depending on air resistance. Unless I hosed up my math, which is a distinct possibility.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

I liked 4e for the same reason everyone hated it: It didn't make a lot of pretense about D&D being first and foremost a game about fighting monsters in (hopefully) interesting setpiece encounters, and leaned into making that as robust and satisfying as they could-- on both sides of the screen. It was my favorite edition to DM because building combat encounters was fun and rolling dice on the table and challenging the players felt very honed.

It wasn't without it's flaws (feat bloat, skill challenges were half baked-- hell raw dough) but I think there's really something to the fact that they "pulled back the curtain" too much as someone said upthread and it freaked people out. People really seemed to respond badly to leaning into making it a capital G Game you just played wanted to retreat a little more into a fuzzy theater of the mind campfire narration. I'd argue the two modes aren't incompatible, but I can see where it takes a bit more imagination to paper over your encounter power martial burst attack power or whatever and how that works as a narrative conciet for some people.

I've made my peace with it and however people play is fine with me. I'm onboard with 5e because it's the lingua franca of D&D but I do miss just how satisfying a good combat encounter in 4e could be with both the DM and the player using complimentary abilities on all the combatants.

Anyway for an on topic tax, gravity is markedly lower in D&D than in the real world. Terminal velocity is 500 ft/6 second round. In the real world you'd fall another ~80 or so feet depending on air resistance. Unless I hosed up my math, which is a distinct possibility.

Said it before, I'll say it again. If they had marketed 4th edition as 'd&d adventures' without cutting 3.5 off at the knees to do so, it would have been a very successful offshoot for the brand.

4th Ed was imperfect, to be sure, but the overall rules and mechanics were fun to use. But all anyone saw was 'this killed d&d as I know it' and so the community rejected it out of hand.

Also your math checks out. I think. Unless I hosed up my math.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
These past two pages :3:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Here's a Murphy Murphy: While the RAI is clearly for a Murphy thread to be about sharing weird or poorly written rules, RAW anytime someone mentions D&D it actually becomes an edition talk thread

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

That it's good because of them. You'll get a people giving an introduction about BG3 being easy to learn and good because it's based on "the best" or "easiest to learn" version of D&D. Statements that only make even a little sense if you're exclusively comparing them to the Owlcat Pathfinder games.

"Pikmin 3 is easier to get into than Age of Empires 2 and this proves that Wii U is the easiest to learn controller system."

A Murphy a friend of mine pointed out: The Oracle in Pathfinder 2e gets spells from the Divine spell list, but their power doesn't come from their diety. Not normally an issue, but there is one cantrip on that list where it becomes one.

Divine Lance posted:

Cantrip 1
Attack, Cantrip, Evocation
Traditions divine
Cast [two-actions] somatic, verbal
Range 30 feet; Targets 1 creature
You unleash a beam of divine energy. Choose an alignment your deity has (chaotic, evil, good, or lawful). You can't cast this spell if you don't have a deity or if your deity is true neutral. Make a ranged spell attack roll against the target's AC. On a hit, the target takes damage of the chosen alignment type equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier (double damage on a critical hit). The spell gains the trait of the alignment you chose.

If you don't worship a god, or worship a neutral god, the non-god source of your powers simply will refuse to let you cast this spell until you hurry up and worship a non-neutral god.

Probably going to be fixed when they remove alignment damage, but funny for now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A lance of pure Neutrality would be funny too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Lone Badger posted:

Maybe.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Owlbear Camus posted:

This checks out, as a level 1 character with 16 strength gets a whole 6 feet of height when they jump vertically, provided they get a bit of a run up.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

The Lone Badger posted:

The beige beam.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Divine Lance has always been a goofy spell because of the way PF2e currently (but soon won't) uses alignment damage - it only works on the opposite alignment.

So spells like Detect Evil are labelled Uncommon because they could affect a plot, but Divine Lance is a common spell that works as an infinite use evil detector, just blast everyone with it and note who flinches.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps the neutral lance is real, but nobody notices it when it hits them.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

bewilderment posted:

Divine Lance has always been a goofy spell because of the way PF2e currently (but soon won't) uses alignment damage - it only works on the opposite alignment.

So spells like Detect Evil are labelled Uncommon because they could affect a plot, but Divine Lance is a common spell that works as an infinite use evil detector, just blast everyone with it and note who flinches.
Similarly, I have used Hold Person to sniff out Dopplegangers in BG3 cause if you mouse over one (without casting the spell) it will warn you that it can only be used on humanoids.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

That Italian Guy posted:

Similarly, I have used Hold Person to sniff out Dopplegangers in BG3 cause if you mouse over one (without casting the spell) it will warn you that it can only be used on humanoids.

The alternative is simply to right-click them and examine their character sheet where they'll be listed as doppelgangers before they transform. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jabor posted:

Perhaps the neutral lance is real, but nobody notices it when it hits them.

"The light! It feels like nothing in particular!"

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
The Beam of Maybe. The Maybeam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Taciturn Tactician posted:

"Pikmin 3 is easier to get into than Age of Empires 2 and this proves that Wii U is the easiest to learn controller system."

A Murphy a friend of mine pointed out: The Oracle in Pathfinder 2e gets spells from the Divine spell list, but their power doesn't come from their diety. Not normally an issue, but there is one cantrip on that list where it becomes one.

If you don't worship a god, or worship a neutral god, the non-god source of your powers simply will refuse to let you cast this spell until you hurry up and worship a non-neutral god.

Probably going to be fixed when they remove alignment damage, but funny for now.

It’s even worse for Sorcerers that get the divine spell list, if you worship a heroic god like Sarenrae your powers from your infernal blood give you holy beams of goodness when called upon. While also giving you bonus powers that do evil damage (which is worthless in like 99% of campaigns where you aren’t facing good creatures, and also kind of gimps any sort of “turning against my dark side” character which are probably more common than the sorcerers that play straight servants of evil).