Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Bulletproof Nudity is a classic, listed as part of the Cinematic Combat Rules on p417 of the Basic Set, Fourth Edition.

quote:

PCs with Attractive or better appearance can get a bonus to active defenses simply by undressing! Any outfit that bares legs, chest or midriff is +1. Just a loincloth or skimpy swimwear is +2. Topless females get an extra +1. Total nudity gives no further bonus to defense, but adds +1 to Move and +2 water Move.

Is it actually a good way to implement the thing where action heroes can shrug off attacks while not wearing much of anything?
Not really! No sane GM is going to use the rule across their campaign, and it's unfairly priced if enabled for one character with the Extra Option perk. The action hero thing is better modelled with some DR.
Do people actually use it?
Not that I can tell! I searched the GURPS forum, and couldn't find anyone saying they use it.
Why is it there?
:psyduck:

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Put this card in your deck, get two cards free when you draw it. It's a free +1 hand advantage. Needless to say it's been on the ban list forever.
I never understood why this was banworthy, frankly. You're only allowed three or four of them in your deck (I forget which) so your chances of drawing it are never very high.

They did the same thing in the Pokémon TCG with Bill, but the one I really hated was when they banned Professor Oak and made you use Imposter Professor Oak instead - the exact same card, but with a fifty percent chance of doing nothing. The video game has attacks that do absolutely nothing 50% of the time - virtually nobody uses them.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

4th edition fixed this by having a character on fire make fear checks; but if you're unfazable...
You might also reasonably ask by what means the character is creating fire.

If you've got matches, there's no point in setting yourself on fire with them versus just striking a match. If all you have is flint and steel, you need something to keep a small flame going long enough to set fire to your clothes, and then getting your clothes to ignite is tough since they're either flame-retardant (modern clothing) or caked in sweat and mud (premodern clothing).

If your intent is to use a spell, you need to stop - you're probably using GURPS Magic, which is never a good idea because that entire subsystem is terrible. :v:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Vorpal Cat posted:

Does GURPS have rules for spontaneous human combustion?

Not in the Basic Set. Spontaneous Human Combustion is listed here as a -30-point disadvantage, though as the name suggests it's not intended to be taken seriously.

The ability to catch fire at will would be an Alternate Form which grants the Body of Fire template, but that wouldn't give a -6 penalty.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I notice that the card's name is "Ring of Ma ruf" (I don't see an apostrophe or a circumflex) but the card text says to destroy "Ring of Ma'rűf".