Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anime Studio Story is out. So far it's VERY similar to Game Dev but with all the bells and whistles of newer Kairosoft games.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.animestudio_en

Can you name what your studio produces in this one? Being able to name my game console Dicktendo 64 or something equally immature was one thing sorely missed going from Game Dev Story to Magazine Mogul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Catts posted:

Can you name what your studio produces in this one? Being able to name my game console Dicktendo 64 or something equally immature was one thing sorely missed going from Game Dev Story to Magazine Mogul.

Yeah, you can name both series and characters.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, you can name both series and characters.

There's two new games out for Android, both of which are mostly IAP sorts of games. High Sea Saga sort of feels to me like a really suped up version of Beastie Bay, with training pirates instead of raising monsters. But there still is raising monsters. Bonbon Cakery is a bakery sim that I haven't gotten too much into so I can't say a whole lot about it.

Both these games rely on their own game currency, but Kairosoft also released an app called Kairo Club, which can earn you a chunk of currency in those games if you already have other Kairosoft games installed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Roberto_Silencio posted:

High Sea Saga sort of feels to me like a really suped up version of Beastie Bay, with training pirates instead of raising monsters.

Is there any indication of this coming to iOS. :aaa:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Roberto_Silencio posted:

There's two new games out for Android, both of which are mostly IAP sorts of games. High Sea Saga sort of feels to me like a really suped up version of Beastie Bay, with training pirates instead of raising monsters. But there still is raising monsters. Bonbon Cakery is a bakery sim that I haven't gotten too much into so I can't say a whole lot about it.

Bonbon Cakery has been pretty decent so far, it does not have a time limit in which to complete your game. Instead you go from month to month, years are not measured, while a real time clock measures your ability to make new items and trips a food truck makes. It combines Cafeteria Nipponica and Pocket Clothier; you need to be aware of seasonal changes in taste and the abilities of your staff to make things run smoothly. You can buy tickets to make more crap ASAP, but Kairo Club and contests provide you with enough to get by, and you can whore yourself out with TapJoy if you're really desperate.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I Watson posted:

. You can buy tickets to make more crap ASAP, but Kairo Club and contests provide you with enough to get by, and you can whore yourself out with TapJoy if you're really desperate.

these things you say... are we now in a world where all the new Kairosoft games are IAP/Tapjoy fests instead of pay once play forever?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Telex posted:

these things you say... are we now in a world where all the new Kairosoft games are IAP/Tapjoy fests instead of pay once play forever?

Yes.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Can you tell if they're stepping up the quality or delivering more for that model?
If not, I don't see it working well...

Maybe. I don't know, I'm cheap as gently caress, so there's my reasoning.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Going purely off Beastie Bay I don't think it's a bad thing because I am also cheap as gently caress. Though I think Summoners Wars is the free pokemon game of choice at the moment.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Bel Monte posted:

Can you tell if they're stepping up the quality or delivering more for that model?
If not, I don't see it working well...

Maybe. I don't know, I'm cheap as gently caress, so there's my reasoning.

Yes and no? Bonbon has a bunch of mechanics I have not encountered in a Kairo game before, but they are not all positive things. One example is that it gives you log in bonuses like some of the more recent titles, but some of the game features are gated behind it, like item creation.

I have not tried High Seas yet because it is $1 with ads and I heard that if you want to remove those, you have to pay a :siren:monthly:siren: fee, as opposed to a one time payment like in Beasty Bay.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I Watson posted:

I have not tried High Seas yet because it is $1 with ads and I heard that if you want to remove those, you have to pay a :siren:monthly:siren: fee, as opposed to a one time payment like in Beasty Bay.

If that's for real, Kairosoft is dead to me. It was a good few years I guess.

Their games are good for 5 bucks. They're not good for a monthly, and they don't look nearly as good as any of the other chock full of microtransactions/timers games available.

I guess it's tough to make games these days and only charge 5 bucks for 'em and be able to support a company or something.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Kairosoft is out

http://appshopper.com/link/biz-builder-delux

Business Sim

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I know it's probably just me... but why did they emphasize odd words all over in the pictures?
ERECT your very own business empire!
Pump out HIT PRODUCTS!
TRAIN your staff

Bold is mine, because they enlarge some text while "bolding" others and color choice is a mess... But they emphasized some rather...choice words.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is this one freemium or all in for $5?

worth getting?

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Telex posted:

is this one freemium or all in for $5?

worth getting?

Already own it on android and I say yes, its the most... All inclusive title from them I've seen. Manage several stores, light town management, employee management. Contests, secret recipes. Not to mention that more stores options open up along the way. Its definitely broader than say video game maker.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
Fish Pond Park and The Ramen Sensei are out for Android. They're thankfully one-time-payment games with no extra charges.

Fish Pond Park is... okay. It's a park/tourist attraction sim, placing cards on a map for different scenery like forests, mountains and tourist centers. You can also place ponds and combine them into rivers and such, allowing you to fish for extra money and prizes. Fishing isn't too complicated or deep, but it's a unique distraction as far as these games go.

The game suffers with some really horrible translation errors to the point I had to save and reload a bunch of times to try and figure out what exactly they were trying to tell me: "You got a Happy Forest Park x1!!!" But "Happy Forest" is the name of my park? Oh, I see, it's a card that gives me a mountain range. "You got a Happy Forest Park x1!!!" More mountains.. wait, no, it's a forest this time, what the hell? "You placed !### in the National Contest!!!" It literally displays "###" instead of an actual number.

Most Kairosoft games have a certain set time limit for when the game "ends", but this one is weird because it does have that time limit, but also the game "ends" when you get the full five star rating on your park. It definitely isn't one of their best and kind of feels like an early game, but it's still Kairosoft and charming in their way.

The Ramen Sensei is more what I think of when I think Kairosoft. You make ramen by selecting noodles, soups and toppings and eventually, you're given the ability to make your own noodles and soups so you can create different flavors and adjust the menu to customer preferences. This one's also a little more unique in that you have a single main restaurant and then the much larger Ramen Hall. The main restaurant has that unmovable, single-screen format and is used to try and lure customers in to become regulars. Once they are regulars, they'll start to visit The Ramen Hall which is a more customizable, scrolling multi-screen area. You can place smaller restaurants inside and also add those Kairosofty attractions to make customers spend more money and work up an appetite.

I really love this one. Tons of options and does well at mixing it up while still feeling familiar. And also, overly dramatic metal music plays when you face off against rival businesses.:black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Have they made any more games like Dungeon Village or Beastie Bay? Only recent iOS ones I've noticed have been more like gam dev story.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Have they made any more games like Dungeon Village or Beastie Bay? Only recent iOS ones I've noticed have been more like gam dev story.

The ninja village game is similar to those.

Ninja Village by Kairosoft Co.,Ltd
https://appsto.re/us/8mRpV.i

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm really enjoying Biz Builder Deluxe. It's a lot of the typical Kairosoft stuff - shop arrangement, leveling products and employees, entering contests and staging events, but with the added bonus of running up to three businesses at once and building up a town at the same time. Once you cap out at three shops, you can "release" one so that it generates a bit of revenue for you and lets you start a new one. It also calculates score yearly, instead of at the end of 15-20 years, so you can restart with added bonuses any time you want. Pretty solid Kairo title.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Orvin posted:

The ninja village game is similar to those.

Ninja Village by Kairosoft Co.,Ltd
https://appsto.re/us/8mRpV.i

That's a solid game, there. Fun for several playthroughs, what with the carryover options. I haven't quite managed to break it over my knee, mostly because of those stupid Bearington Ballers. I have no clue how to deal with those jerks.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Grundulum posted:

That's a solid game, there. Fun for several playthroughs, what with the carryover options. I haven't quite managed to break it over my knee, mostly because of those stupid Bearington Ballers. I have no clue how to deal with those jerks.

Ninja Village takes forever to fully 100%

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I haven't had a chance to play it, but there is a new fishing game for iOS.

Fish Pond Park by Kairosoft Co.,Ltd
https://appsto.re/us/5L_K8.i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

metallicaeg posted:

Ninja Village takes forever to fully 100%

So it's like Dungeon Village? IE: Play a dozen times to cap everyone out in everything, then start over and make everyone only use the good melee classes because the rest are poo poo?

• Locked thread