Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

It is: http://kairosoft.net/pc/gamedev2.html

However, it says on that page that it's available on iOS and Android - so GDS2 on the PC is the version released on phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Suggestion for Beastie Bay players:

Once the volcano island opens arm some (fire) creatures with water-attack fangs and the fire resist tems and go collecting there. If you only get one create get a Hotalot Devil. Tripplo is pretty nice as well but they're rare, early morning only I think.

BizZ
May 23, 2002
Been playing Beastie Bay a bit and I think it's great. I only wish there was a way to play it on the PC. I think this game would be great using a mouse and keyboard.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\ Yeah, this.

I'm bought and am having a surprising amount of fun with GameDev Story, but GOOD GOD does it eat through my battery. :stare:

Is there a way to play it on my PC like in the virtual android development software or something? Would I just copy the files off my phone, or...? I assume if Dolphin and such is okay then android emulation is?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
You can run Beastie Bay through the (currently) free beta of BlueStacks [website], but I can't help when it comes to copying your save file off of your phone. BlueStacks comes with access to several app stores, so you can just download Beastie Bay through the Google Play market.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

maketakunai posted:

You can run Beastie Bay through the (currently) free beta of BlueStacks [website], but I can't help when it comes to copying your save file off of your phone. BlueStacks comes with access to several app stores, so you can just download Beastie Bay through the Google Play market.

Had to start a fresh game, but it seems to work fine. Cool, thanks! :)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

maketakunai posted:

Didn't know about BlueStacks, thanks for giving me access to the Kairosoft crack I didn't already have. :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Now I just need to figure out how to best optimize my medal farming setup. Which of these works better?
xxxxxx
xoxxox
xxxxxx
or
xxxxx
xoxox
xxxxx

x=5 star nature
o=monster home (type doesn't seem to matter, but usually a pasture or zoo)

I haven't noticed if having multiple npcs harvest on the same tiles is a waste or simply makes the tiles get used faster. From having 3 monsters sharing an instructor they all seemed to train pretty steadily.

Also does the 5-star location matter? Considering how it's infinitely easier to just buy tons of Alpine Plants vs trying to get stuff setup to upgrade things into Legendary Trees or Mountain Ranges my current plan has been to just use the Alpine Plants.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now I just need to figure out how to best optimize my medal farming setup. Which of these works better?
xxxxxx
xoxxox
xxxxxx
or
xxxxx
xoxox
xxxxx

x=5 star nature
o=monster home (type doesn't seem to matter, but usually a pasture or zoo)

I haven't noticed if having multiple npcs harvest on the same tiles is a waste or simply makes the tiles get used faster. From having 3 monsters sharing an instructor they all seemed to train pretty steadily.

Also does the 5-star location matter? Considering how it's infinitely easier to just buy tons of Alpine Plants vs trying to get stuff setup to upgrade things into Legendary Trees or Mountain Ranges my current plan has been to just use the Alpine Plants.

I've been doing this:

XXXXX
XoooX
XoCoX
XoooX
XXXXX

A clinic in the middle seems to speed things up. I got around 500 medals last night with this setup in 3 spots and schools in the rest in an identical setup.

I'd be interested to hear if you're getting more, since I've always figured having that extra recovery and less fields per monster to farm would mean things would go faster. It seems that they don't always farm up things on the first try and so they go to 3-4 plots to do things, maybe if they're forced to go to just 3 it goes faster?

I've been spending the last hour or so save scumming to get 5-star Sally Prin for my NG+ playthrough. loving frustrating.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Do legendary trees yield medals more often than other 5-star nature tiles do? I just built a pretty elaborate legendary tree farm but I may have just wasted my time if I could have achieved the same thing with a bunch of alpine plants and springs.

For that matter, is the mine any better than any other 5-star nature tiles either?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I usually don't play phone games, but these look interesting and I do have an android - which one of these would be the best to start with?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

I usually don't play phone games, but these look interesting and I do have an android - which one of these would be the best to start with?
Game Dev Story is the simplest and is a pretty good jumping off point.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Wolpertinger posted:

Most people enjoy/prefer GameDev Story, as far as I can tell. It seems to be the first Kairosoft game for a lot of people.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I got Sushi Spinnery on my Kindle Fire and it's a lot better than I was expecting. After being put off by the last few iOS releases (prior to Beastie Bay, which is great), it was a pleasant surprise. It basically combines the two normal Kairosoft formulas of object placement (Pocket Academy and the town games) and optimizing items (Game Dev, Grand Prix, etc.). Pretty solid.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Hum, I tried to get Beastie Bay working on bluestacks, but it only works when it's on 'default' app size, which has it completely horizontal, and when i change it to 'tablet mode' which makes it vertical, it opens briefly but then gives me "An error has occured". drat, I might have to just play it on my teeny little phone.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I got the same error, I think it's because Beastie Bay's got widescreen locked behind the no-ads IAP. You could see if it's possible to rotate your monitor either physically or via software. Or just pay for it if you like Kairosoft enough.

E: Or I could stop being a dunce and remember that (with Windows 7 anyway) you can right click on your desktop, choose Personalize -> Display -> Change display settings and then change Orientation to whichever of Portrait/Landscape it isn't currently on. Kinda clunky since your mouse orientation will get screwed up, but it's a partial solution.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 18, 2013

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, Bluestacks is stubborn - I buy it on the phone, the ads disappear there, but when I attempt to sync it to Bluestacks it downloads a version that still has ads and does not seem to have any way of buying it on bluestacks (clicking buy gives an error in japanese). Might just have to play it on a drat phone if you can't even use any purchased products. Or save data, for that matter.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So here's my medal farm setup. I have no idea if this is efficient or not, which is kind of why I'm posting it :shobon:

code:
n n M n n
n H H H n
n H S H n
n H H H n
n n n n n
n H H H n
n H C H n
t P H H n
h t n n n
n = 5-star nature, mostly alpine plants and springs but there are a few mountain ranges and big volcanoes also
M = mine
H = ally's house
S = school
C = clinic
P = solar panel
t = legendary tree
h = hotspot

The ally's houses are just standard huts/palaces, I didn't convert them into shops because I don't care about money and didn't want to have to fiddle with tourist pathing.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

The Rokstar posted:

So here's my medal farm setup. I have no idea if this is efficient or not, which is kind of why I'm posting it :shobon:

code:
n n M n n
n H H H n
n H S H n
n H H H n
n n n n n
n H H H n
n H C H n
t P H H n
h t n n n
n = 5-star nature, mostly alpine plants and springs but there are a few mountain ranges and big volcanoes also
M = mine
H = ally's house
S = school
C = clinic
P = solar panel
t = legendary tree
h = hotspot

The ally's houses are just standard huts/palaces, I didn't convert them into shops because I don't care about money and didn't want to have to fiddle with tourist pathing.

For slightly better efficiency, you want to put people houses in the corners. IF you have enough hotspots, my understanding is this is the best, which is a 7x7 grid:

using the same key as above, with D for dude's house, turned into a Mansion not whatever they do normally.

code:
x n P h P n x
n D t t t D n
P t H H H t P
h t H C H t h 
P t H H H t P
n D t t t D n
x n P h P n x
The x's are whatever your best power source happens to be since you want to get your power up to 45 for the people houses to turn them into mansions.

If you have clinics, put those in the middle instead. You don't actually get many work points as you level your beasts so there is literally NO reason to level your beasts. Just get as many slots as you can and put headbands that are maxed out on them and go to town.

I have no idea to be totally honest if people farm faster/better than beasts but it seems to work.

IMO, the best place to do this is the upper east side of the map where if you do it right and ignore the legendary trees part where that un-moveable water part is, you can string together 4 of these colonies by re-using the hotspot+solar edge for an L-shaped chunk of buildings.

I'm going for an OCD "UPGRADE ALL THE THINGS" game, so I'm trying to get this thing sorted and I'll show some screenshots once I get enough hotspots to do it up proper. Still missing a few on my game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wait, how did you get extra hotspots? Does some map have the chance to give you research for them? I can't buy them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think I've totally screwed up my Beastie game...I have food places and lumber miles but no food or lumber. What am I missing?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Lorini posted:

I think I've totally screwed up my Beastie game...I have food places and lumber miles but no food or lumber. What am I missing?

Only two guesses - are your fields/lumber mills next to monsters and/or people? They don't produce automatically, they have to be harvested. On a related note, have you been exploring a lot? If your peeps are away from home or at home healing, they won't be harvesting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Only two guesses - are your fields/lumber mills next to monsters and/or people? They don't produce automatically, they have to be harvested. On a related note, have you been exploring a lot? If your peeps are away from home or at home healing, they won't be harvesting.

Nope. The housing is pretty far away from the lumber. Oh. Thanks, guess I'm starting a new game.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wait, how did you get extra hotspots? Does some map have the chance to give you research for them? I can't buy them.

Yeah, the Cool Cave has a chance to drop them in chests, and I think both of the things on the Desert Isle do too.

This is my best guess as to what an ideal setup looks like for at least that chunk of the map.

So far I'm getting like 80 medals/hr. Not bad.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Telex posted:

For slightly better efficiency, you want to put people houses in the corners. IF you have enough hotspots, my understanding is this is the best, which is a 7x7 grid:

using the same key as above, with D for dude's house, turned into a Mansion not whatever they do normally.

code:
x n P h P n x
n D t t t D n
P t H H H t P
h t H C H t h 
P t H H H t P
n D t t t D n
x n P h P n x
The x's are whatever your best power source happens to be since you want to get your power up to 45 for the people houses to turn them into mansions.
I've only got the one hotspot but I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to get more.

quote:

If you have clinics, put those in the middle instead. You don't actually get many work points as you level your beasts so there is literally NO reason to level your beasts. Just get as many slots as you can and put headbands that are maxed out on them and go to town.
I basically just had the school there (with a level 99 guy I found online as the instructor) to level my battle team up for the coliseum, but now they're basically leveled so I will probably throw a clinic in there instead.

quote:

IMO, the best place to do this is the upper east side of the map where if you do it right and ignore the legendary trees part where that un-moveable water part is, you can string together 4 of these colonies by re-using the hotspot+solar edge for an L-shaped chunk of buildings.
This is exactly where I'm set up, just south of the railway station in the corner.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It seems like the undead pirates have 4 item slots at 5 stars. Not sure how many they have at -4 but guessing just 3 stars. Is it work trying to farm for 3+ slot monsters to be able to throw extra headbands on them? The pirates could be useful if they're always 3-4 slots since a high level party could hit the ship and just go on a taming spree and grab a dozen or so, right?

I was going to buy them for money but they jump from 10,000 to 2,010,000 gold after you buy one. :psyduck:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I gave Kairobotica a try but really couldn't get into it; then I went for Game Dev Story and I can't get enough of it. :psyduck: My guess is that in GDS it's easier to form your own mental narrative because of being able to title the game yourself and pick genre/platform combinations. It's such a simple thing mechanically.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

It seems like the undead pirates have 4 item slots at 5 stars. Not sure how many they have at -4 but guessing just 3 stars. Is it work trying to farm for 3+ slot monsters to be able to throw extra headbands on them? The pirates could be useful if they're always 3-4 slots since a high level party could hit the ship and just go on a taming spree and grab a dozen or so, right?

I was going to buy them for money but they jump from 10,000 to 2,010,000 gold after you buy one. :psyduck:

I think 5 slots is random on 5* dudes, sometimes it's still 4. Sometimes a 4* only has 3 slots. There's definitely no guarantee.

The best thing to do though is to go into Hidden Caves and just get a crapton of former boss monsters that all start with a 20+ work and are pretty amazing if you get a 5* that has 5 slots. You need pretty decent gear to be able to farm those monsters but once you have them it's real good for farming medals.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the thread, Dungeon Village came out around the time I got my android phone so I gave that a shot and thought it was ok but a bit slow.

But this thread inspired me to check out a couple of their other games and drat, Grand Prix Story and Game Dev story... I'm hooked.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Zaii posted:

It's been ages since I beat Grand Prix Story, but I seem to recall that durability was a must, and spec the crap outta your tyres. What build are you currently trying the races with?

General rule - if you dont shoot into the lead within the first half couple of bends from the start - you got no chance of finishing 1st.

Sorry I never responded, when I checked the device I'd gone past year 14 and started a new game. I took the Aero Car and V12 engine with me which was probably a bad move as it will be a long time before I can use those.

Asking my son (who sadly seems to have a better memory than me nowadays!) apparently we were using a ProtoFF car to try and win the ice races, we didn't have any of the fancy cars unlocked and were nowhere near the supercharger either. The charger I will fix in this playthrough now I know it's linked to sponsorship. Is there a different car I should have tried to unlock for ice racing or just beef the poo poo out of something else?

On that subject, my strategy had been to make one driver 99% driving focussed and the other more of a techy chap to assist my main tech team to build/invent stuff, is that right or should I be making them both driving monsters?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So to get a Kairobot, not only does the already-rare appearance need to happen, but I have to significantly weaken the thing, without it fleeing, and then hope that I catch it (without it fleeing)? I'm guessing even with Fatty Bait this is a tedious-as-gently caress thing, and if it's not 'weakened' then what is likely a small chance is otherwise no chance? My team would need two rounds to weaken one, even with it at level 30 and my guys in the 50+ range. These things run more often than Metal Slimes in DQ. :sigh:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

So to get a Kairobot, not only does the already-rare appearance need to happen, but I have to significantly weaken the thing, without it fleeing, and then hope that I catch it (without it fleeing)? I'm guessing even with Fatty Bait this is a tedious-as-gently caress thing, and if it's not 'weakened' then what is likely a small chance is otherwise no chance? My team would need two rounds to weaken one, even with it at level 30 and my guys in the 50+ range. These things run more often than Metal Slimes in DQ. :sigh:

Here's a tip that might help, beasts don't have to be weakened to eat the bait. It helps, but maybe not nearly as much as it should. Throw a bait at the start of the fight and sometimes you capture things straight up.

You can also save right before you smash the boulder and if you don't get it when you hit the boulder or you fail to catch the thing, just reload your game and try again and again and again.

I'm personally convinced that the 5* Sally Prin is not something you can capture in any state.

Yare
Jan 9, 2008
Legend

nutranurse posted:

I hate how much more stuff Android users get over us iGoons. Send the games to the AppStore faster, Kairosoft. All the poo poo's right there. :argh:

Getting through Apple cert takes longer -sometimes 4 weeks or more, and they have stricter requirements than Google.

Also, iOS has a lower market share than Android, and cross-platform games have been selling better and pulling in more in IAPs on Google Play since October.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Telex posted:

Here's a tip that might help, beasts don't have to be weakened to eat the bait. It helps, but maybe not nearly as much as it should. Throw a bait at the start of the fight and sometimes you capture things straight up.

You can also save right before you smash the boulder and if you don't get it when you hit the boulder or you fail to catch the thing, just reload your game and try again and again and again.

I'm personally convinced that the 5* Sally Prin is not something you can capture in any state.

My method of "complain about something being bullshit, and it suddenly gets better" continued with this, as I ended up getting a 4* Kairobot about 10 minutes after posting. I saved right as the rock busted with him coming out, so loading a game instantly started the fight and after about half a dozen checks I had a 4* and just said gently caress it and caught it after having everyone use aura if they could, and reducing it to Weakened after one round.

Two slot scrolls later and I now have a Kairobot with a Kairobeam 5 headbands farming like crazy while getting nice ~2500 xp bumps via a level&int 99 kairobot instructor whose magic word I got online.

Gay Atheist
Feb 15, 2005

I remember a time when I hated phone games, I just didn't see the point and the touchscreen controls did nothing but get in the way. Then I learned you don't buy max Payne for iOS and get something like Game Dev Story instead. I got it one night on a whim and didn't play anything else until I'd finally gotten that game of the year award, drat it, about 8 hours later... What a great little timesink.

I've been trying to get into Dungeon Village or whatever next, but I can't get the ball rolling. The sums the baby adventurers bring back from killing slimes or what have you never cover maintenance costs so I always had negative cash and then a dragon showed up and wrecked all my poo poo. How are you supposed to stay afloat in the early part of the game?

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

i feel like I need a full on beastie bay guide, I want to play it but not knowing how to plan things out leaves me frozen.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Monowhatever posted:

i feel like I need a full on beastie bay guide, I want to play it but not knowing how to plan things out leaves me frozen.
https://www.beastiebay.net has a bunch of information I found really useful.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Yare posted:

Getting through Apple cert takes longer -sometimes 4 weeks or more, and they have stricter requirements than Google.

Also, iOS has a lower market share than Android, and cross-platform games have been selling better and pulling in more in IAPs on Google Play since October.

Android now has pocket stable in English. :negative:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

You'd think this would guarantee there'll be an IOS English release of this but World Cruise Story sits there as an example of them not always translating IOS as well >.< Still, it's a hopeful sign at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Welp. I am glad that I have both an Android and Apple tablet. This is the one I've been waiting for since I think if it's gonna be like Grand Prix but with horses (and hopefully gambling?) then my weekend is done.

• Locked thread