Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh poo poo, it's a Kairosoft thread.

They make neat management-ish games. It's a bit hard to pin down precisely what they are, because they're a very distinct flavor of game that's more or less unique to Kairosoft.

Originally founded in 1996 as a cell phone game company, Kairosoft hit it big in the west when they released Game Dev Story on iOS. They've been porting some of their more successful cell phone games over to iOS and Android. (This explains why most games have a menu-heavy interface, two soft-key-style buttons in each lower corner, and the option to use a directional pad with a single center button. Dumb phone habits die hard, yo.)

The one that started it all. Not too complex, not too simple. Make the next big vidjagame! Then make sequels, then make more sequels, then make even more sequels. It's just like the real games industry!

TouchArcade Review: 5 VIDJAGAMES

Their newest game, Beastie Bay was described by TouchArcade as "Pokemon meets SimCity." That's a good description. It takes the familiar build-a-city aspect of Kairo games and adds a Pokemon-esque battling system. It's also their first free game; for $4.99 you can remove ads and enable landscape mode, and midway through the game you can start to buy medals with IAP. You won't really need the latter, and the former is if you like it enough to throw cash their way.

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 STARS

Build up a town on the edge of a monster-infested plain, selling your wares and attracting adventurers.

TouchArcade Review: 4 STARS

Build up your little soccer team from a piece of poo poo to a not-piece of poo poo.

TouchArcade Review: 4 GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALS

Run a restaurant! Discover dishes! Go deep! Really deep. Really, distressingly deep.

Build a town into a bustling medieval Japan hotspot, replete with castles and inns and statistics.

TouchArcade Review: 4.5星

Did you like Oh! Edo Towns? Did you want to play a less-good version of it in the modern day?

... Okay then.

TouchArcade Review: 2.5 STARS

Regarded as one of the best Kairo games. Start a racing team from scratch, build cars, race 'em, win 'em. Fun as all hell.

Build a town in space! Attack space aliens! Make spacey space things! Space!

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 SPACE STARS

Recruit and educate students! Then make them kiss. This is a gameplay mechanic, for some reason.

TouchArcade Review: 5 ANIME COUPLES

Run a big, tall clothing store. Unlike most Kairosoft games, it's portrait-only. It's pretty samey, though, and not their best work.

TouchArcade Review: 3 STARS

Build up a gigantic mall! Have customers spend $10,000 in a single go! Take all their money!

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 STARS

Japanese people, apparently, love hot springs. Let's exploit that for massive profit!

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 STEAMY SPA-GOERS

Anything below are Android-only, so I can't speak to them. I don't know if they'll ever make it to iOS, but here they are~

Got your own reviews or favorites? Got a strategy to milk each and every dime from your poor, poor virtual people? Well let's do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Dungeon Village, Cafeteria Nipponica, Pocket Clothier and Beastie Bay are all universal apps. The rest look ok on iPad, owing to the pixelly motif.

EDIT In Grand Prix I abused the hell out of the supercharger, especially early on. It gives you crazy good acceleration off the line, even if installed by a bunch of nincompoops.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Apparently, Sushi Spinnery is on the Japanese iOS store now. Anybody with a JP account want to take a peek at the port? It's English-localized, I believe.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I played it on my Kindle Fire a little while ago - pretty great. It's a combination of the two types of Kairosoft games - area layout and ingredient combining. Lots of things to test, upgrade, and unlock.

Oh boy! :3: The most frustrating thing is that Kairosoft is like the only company that has more games on other platforms than iOS, and I wish they'd be better about porting them over. Also the massive lagtime between when a game shows up in the Japanese store and the American one...

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I Watson posted:

Kairosoft has supposedly said that it is harder for them code-wise to port their things to iOS than to Android. Maybe Android jives better with the format of the original versions of the games?

Okay, I understand that problem, but the iOS market is a lot bigger and a lot more conducive to paying for content than the Android market. I'd reckon it'd be worth the hassle to do.

But maybe I'm biased because I just wanna run a cruise ship and race horses and have a new soccer team and have robots and sushi shops and oh god I need a fix :3:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sushi Spinnery is out!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sushi-spinnery/id627818916?mt=8

Haven't played much but I'll report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Orvin posted:

Anyone have any tips yet for Sushi Spinnery?

All I have been able to figure out so far is that you want to be creating dishes constantly to level up the base ingredients. I think it may be a good idea to try out all the toppings and the game will record what works well with the main ingredients. I have been deleting instead of saving a lot of the early experiments, because I haven't figured out how to delete a dish from the list later.

It also took me a little bit to realize that the PR: stuff was how you get different customer types to show up.

I think a major barrier is the culture. We just don't have the background for sushi in the West, so it's a lot harder to get into it. It's alleviated somewhat by having descriptions of what is what, but it's not perfect. So far I've got a big conveyer with as many seats as I can get, and prep stations every few spots filled with either the chefs or the part-timers to keep the dishes coming.

bagina posted:

The sushi game for iOS is the first KS game that I've felt completely apathetic about and stopped playing within 30 minutes or so. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I hate sushi, but I don't have the slightest interest in running a clothing store, and I rather liked that game.

It's quite rough if you don't know much about sushi or its ingredients, and I'm finding it kinda hard to maintain interest. Especially because it took so drat long to get a dish good enough to beat the first texture contest.

I'd much rather they release the ninja game, but what can you do. I wish they'd get better about porting these things over so I can get my fix proper.

• Locked thread