Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
I went back, watched a few the other day, and just got insanely embarrassed by my live commentary. I can put them back public, but one of these days I gotta go back and do it right. All of those 'uuuuuhs' and that horrendous mic quality cannot stand, man.

In other news, I'm recording commentary for the next one tonight, so I'll have it uploaded tomorrow. I'm running sound on a musical this week, so free time's been a complete rarity and I haven't been able to record as often as I'd like. Thank Altman it's show week and I'll be done after Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Don't feel bad, the commentary makes for pretty good background noise for playing games, since I enjoy playing MMO's with the sound off. At least I enjoyed them.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
I switched them back, and unfortunately upgraded to the new, NEW Youtube layout which is absolutely horrible. So sorry about that, I can't change it back...yet.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just had to go around my elbow to get to my rear end to switch it back. Holy hell, that was close.

SaigonTimeMD fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2013

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
UPDATE!

TEXT LOGS
- Thawed Bodies
- Stuck Coffins
- Static
- Go Up
- Directions From Daina (Unplayed)
- Church Panic

Changelog
- Updated Upgrade Progress on the Plasma Cutter and the RIG

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ahhh, yes- the freezer. I love how they build tension by making you walk through a room where nothing happens and two rooms where you see a broken casket (but nothing happens) before the party starts. Also the text log where they say the freezers are prone to malfunctioning and thawing out. Even playing it a second time I was kinda like "Did they make any enemy placement changes on Hard Mode? :tinfoil:"

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 14, 2013

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahhh, yes- the freezer. I love how they build tension by making you walk through a room where nothing happens and two rooms where you see a broken casket (but nothing happens) before the party starts. Also the text log where they say the freezers are prone to malfunctioning and thawing out. Even playing it a second time I was kinda like "Did they make any enemy placement changes on Hard Mode? :tinfoil:"

I think they do that, or at least something to that effect. If you go the OTHER way in that one room where the Puker wakes up, I think one pops out on that side as well. There's also a few sections where the 'spawns' seem to be random - there's at least one part in the apartment sequence where a Necromorph busts out of one of three random doors once you trip its trigger.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I can't speak for in Dead Space 2, but Dead Space 1 had a number of semi-randomized monsters in that they'd sometimes be in different locations and do different things on each playthrough. So I'd assume something similar exists in DS2.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Neruz posted:

I can't speak for in Dead Space 2, but Dead Space 1 had a number of semi-randomized monsters in that they'd sometimes be in different locations and do different things on each playthrough. So I'd assume something similar exists in DS2.

They do randomize certain enemy spawns--especially later on, once you start getting attacked by all varieties of enemy in big groups.

They really should have put in more zero-g combat in this game. Having Necromorphs bursting out of those coffins in that floating section would have been pretty dope.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I am disappointed; you missed all the opportunities for a "cold, hard cash" pun with those credits in the freezer rooms. :colbert: Just kidding. Loving the LP, though.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I am disappointed; you missed all the opportunities for a "cold, hard cash" pun with those credits in the freezer rooms. :colbert: Just kidding. Loving the LP, though.

I'm saving them for the Dead Space 3 playthrough.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SaigonTimeMD posted:

I'm saving them for the Dead Space 3 playthrough.

Now THAT I can't wait for since I'll never be touching DS3. :allears:

Just think of this as your practice for when you do that. Right now your commentary is more than fine and getting better as you get practice.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Now THAT I can't wait for since I'll never be touching DS3. :allears:

Just think of this as your practice for when you do that. Right now your commentary is more than fine and getting better as you get practice.

I just realized Dead Space 3 doesn't actually have a money system, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to use it in the next episode.

And I'd actually recommend DS3 - I'm working on a review right now, and although there are definitely some changes for the worse, it's still a pretty solid game, and the weapon-crafting system is absolutely bombastic. I wish Borderlands 2 had a system like it.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Really enjoying the videos. Your commentary is a good mix of informative but funny. Dead Space is one of my favourite series full stop and I love the way you're LPing the game. The plot is brilliant in pulpy SF/Horror way. You really have to not think too hard and just roll with it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Serenity Dove posted:

Really enjoying the videos. Your commentary is a good mix of informative but funny. Dead Space is one of my favourite series full stop and I love the way you're LPing the game. The plot is brilliant in pulpy SF/Horror way. You really have to not think too hard and just roll with it.

The words "the plot is brilliant" should never, ever be applied to Dead Space in any and every capacity. Unless the statement is "the plot is brilliantly" and ends with "pants on head retarded."

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

RentCavalier posted:

The words "the plot is brilliant" should never, ever be applied to Dead Space in any and every capacity. Unless the statement is "the plot is brilliantly" and ends with "pants on head retarded."

I thought I implied that with my statements but you are right. As I said it is in a kind of cheesy SF B-horror way. But YMMV.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
WARNING! A MASSIVE UPDATE IS APPROACHING! NO REFUGE!

TEXT LOGS
- So Excited

Changelog
- Updated Arsenal to include the Ripper
- Updated The RIGs section with the Security Suit
- Added The Tormenter to Bestiary
- Updated Daina Le Guin, Franco Delille, and Nolan Stross bios

Note: DO NOT READ THE BIO UPDATES UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE WATCHED THE VIDEO.

Second Note: Sorry it took so long, this episode went through probably about seven re-writes, most of them revolving around The Tormenter fight commentary. Luckily things should be back to normal from now on.

SaigonTimeMD fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 26, 2013

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

So, ah, while I guess the sound-levels were appropriate to the action, might I ask you not spend quite so much time screaming in future updates, even where appropriate? It's not so much that it's loud, it just sounds awful coming from anything I might use to listen to your commentary, and it clashes with the rest of the sound. I did quite like the in-suit effect, though. Made it all sound not-so-bad.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like how Stross calls you right after you get thrown back in through the window.

"Not now, Stross! Stop calling me!"

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
It would've been even funnier if he'd called during the Tormenter fight itself.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I got a good laugh out of the fight with the "pack." Great show, but don't feel obligated to make every fight so engaging.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Saigon was clearly just having a wonderful time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Woo! The Ripper! My favorite gun in the game! It's main fire mode is a horrendously unsafe looking version of a chainsaw where the blade is held in front of you by nothing more than a gravity tether. The alt-fire mode probably exists only because Isaac made some after-market modifications because I cannot see that getting past any sort of safety or sanity check. Press space: receive sawblade. While it's not as wide as the Line Gun's horizontal beam, nor will it continue if the edge hits terrain (the blade tends to get stuck, or fly away harmlessly) it can easily cut off both of a Necromorph's legs and hits like a truck. I think the Ripper blades stack a bit more efficiently than Line Gun racks. Also, Saigon, you don't have to hold a sawblade out in front of you. Just mash your alt-fire button and it will launch a blade. By sticking a blade out and then firing it, you're burning extra ammo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Ripper Crank is also one of the most satisfying reload animations in the game.

*Crank That Ripper*

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Also, Saigon, you don't have to hold a sawblade out in front of you. Just mash your alt-fire button and it will launch a blade. By sticking a blade out and then firing it, you're burning extra ammo.

Holy hell, I had no idea - seems woefully impractical but it does make sense from a "LOLAMMO" standpoint.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
Just a quick check-in to let you guys know that there should be 2-3 episodes up sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday this week. I'm on the road and the place I'm at currently has a top internet speed of about 40 kb/s, so I'm not going to even bother trying to upload these videos I'm recording until I get somewhere I know is faster. Sorry!

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
DOUBLE UPDATE ACROSS THE PAGE? WHAT DOES IT MEAN? IT MEANS I FINALLY HAVING WORKING INTERNET.

TEXT LOGS

- We're Off To End The Marker
- First Clue, Part 1

TEXT LOGS

- Happy Hope (Unplayed)
- First Clue, Part 2
- Getting Excited
- Safety in Numbers

Changelog

- Updated Arsenal to include the Detonator Gun and Seeker Rifle
- Updated Bestiary to include Pregnants and Cysts
- Overhauled the Humans section to have living characters first
- Updated the Humans section to include Ellie, and updated Nolan Stross' bio

Again, sorry about the break in updates. I'm trying some new things with volume in Episode 12, since I felt like my voice has always been a bit too loud in these videos, so let me know if that works or if I need to turn myself back up again. Also, I missed a log in one of the first rooms in Episode 12 too, so I'll try to go back and find that and add it into the next video since that was more about my forgetfulness/lack of observance than time constraints waiting for something to play after a certain period. Whoops!

SaigonTimeMD fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 4, 2013

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I didn't expect the Seeker Rifle to be so effective. In this game, where dismembering has always been the most useful way to fight, you don't expect a sniper rifle and body shots to be any good. I'll have to try this out some time.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Nuramor posted:

I didn't expect the Seeker Rifle to be so effective. In this game, where dismembering has always been the most useful way to fight, you don't expect a sniper rifle and body shots to be any good. I'll have to try this out some time.

It's really kind of ridiculous. It's the most expensive-to-upgrade weapon in the game (27 friggin' nodes) but oh man does it pay off. Ammunition is extremely cheap as well, so if you've got the aim for it and you don't mind playing the game as Sniper: Engineer Warrior, then it's a sound investment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mothefucker...that alarm clock. I HATE that jump scare. I always forget about it and it sounds just like my real one so I always freak out, turn around and have to check to see if my alarm is going off.

Yes, I totally did that when it came up in that video.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
HOLY drat THIS UPDATE

TEXT LOGS

- School Nurse Report 8022
- Kids Gone Crazy
- Lights Out 2
- Lights Out 1
- A Desperate Plan
- Get to the Solar Array Base Station

Changelog

- Updated Isaac Clarke, Ellie, Nolan Stross, and Hans Tiedmann bios
- Added Spitters, Guardians, and Brutes to the Bestiary

This was originally going to be two updates, but I said "gently caress this, I'm finishing Chapter 6 RIGHT NOW." Also, the 'Happy Hope' audio log is played after the episode proper is over, so stay tuned! Or don't.

SaigonTimeMD fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 17, 2013

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I like how you always sound so happy when you get to do 'Engineering'.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, yes. The school.

I'm a school bus driver. I have a strong aversion to seeing children get hurt. So naturally, this part of the game really upset me.

It didn't stop me from playing through it, but yeah. This was easily the hardest part of the game for me just because of my reaction to it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I like how this game isn't afraid to allow children to be victims. Way too many games give them immunity to everything and the kitchen sink that cause plot holes or other stupid crap. But here, we have a level's that's mostly you having to fight off horribly mutated children that want you dead. It's nice to see game developers that are willing to bite the bullet and go against cultural stereotypes, and that audio log at the end is a perfect example of it.

Also, can we have some kind of meter for how much of an obviously evil rear end in a top hat Teidmann is? He's already past "Jackass", "Douchebag" and "Painfully Obvious Evil" levels, and he's getting close to the "We Get It, You're Evil" level. At this rate, I'm expecting him to reach "Resident Evil Villain" by the end of the next chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Teidmann stops right before RE-level villainy because he's more of a dupe than an idiot who does evil poo poo for literally no particularly clear reason.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
That school is the creepiest thing in the entire series. I'd been dreading it the entire game.

I really wish Issac had thought about talking Ellie into at least getting some body armor from one of the kiosks. Surely she'd at least start to warm up to the guy who ensured that she doesn't have to fight the mutated undead in a tank top. It'd be nice to have somebody else to do some action-engineering with.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 19, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So THAT's where the Flamethrower schematics are. That's actually kinda late in the game since the flamethrower starts a bit weak, especially since (as shown in the gymcafetorium) you'll be fighting more and more "upgraded" black Necromorphs. I tend not to look for weapon schematics since if I want to start a new game I just load up my save by the first store and grab whatever weapons I feel like. Thank you Steam edition for having ALL the pre-order DLC! :v:

That being said, the Flamenwerfer is the best weapon, hands down, for fighting Packs. There are many other weapons that are good for taking out several enemies at close range (plasma cutter, line cutter, ripper, force gun) but the game can only display so many bodies. After so many corpses are created it will start auto-culling to save memory, meaning many of those dead Pack kiddies will disappear before you can stomp them for goodies. The flamethrower, however, will not only kill them trivially but instantly damage the corpse, causing a macabre rain of candy.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Geostomp posted:

That school is the creepiest thing in the entire series. I'd been dreading it the entire game.

I really wish Issac had thought about talking Ellie into at least getting some body armor from one of the kiosks. Surely she'd at least start to warm up to the guy who ensured that she doesn't have to fight the mutated undead in a tank top. It'd be nice to have somebody else to do some action-engineering with.

Protective suits only come in Men's Large. Haven't you played Dead Space 3?

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Pneub posted:

Protective suits only come in Men's Large. Haven't you played Dead Space 3?

Also Ellie wouldn't be caught dead in a Nerd Suit :colbert:.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Alkydere posted:

So THAT's where the Flamethrower schematics are. That's actually kinda late in the game since the flamethrower starts a bit weak, especially since (as shown in the gymcafetorium) you'll be fighting more and more "upgraded" black Necromorphs. I tend not to look for weapon schematics since if I want to start a new game I just load up my save by the first store and grab whatever weapons I feel like. Thank you Steam edition for having ALL the pre-order DLC! :v:

That being said, the Flamenwerfer is the best weapon, hands down, for fighting Packs. There are many other weapons that are good for taking out several enemies at close range (plasma cutter, line cutter, ripper, force gun) but the game can only display so many bodies. After so many corpses are created it will start auto-culling to save memory, meaning many of those dead Pack kiddies will disappear before you can stomp them for goodies. The flamethrower, however, will not only kill them trivially but instantly damage the corpse, causing a macabre rain of candy.

It works wonders against Swarmers too - no more trying to pick the little bastards off individually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

SaigonTimeMD posted:

It works wonders against Swarmers too - no more trying to pick the little bastards off individually!

It gets pretty buff when you upgrade the damage, but only then. It's not nearly as absurd as the DS1 apparently was (I wouldn't know since I only played through DS1 once).

So since you're showing off all the weapons, will you also show off the Rivet Gun?
(Not actually being serious: the Rivet Gun is bad and un-fun in so many ways, even when upgraded. I should know: I did an entire playthrough with it instead of the plasma cutter.)

• Locked thread