Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Mr. Soop posted:

You wouldn't understand, staying near the vents is the only way I can feel alive. :colbert:

Then you'll like this final episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
IT'S THE FINAL UPDATE! DO-DO-DOO-DOOO! DO-D-DO-DO-DOOOO!

TEXT LOGS:

- Tiedmann's Last Hope
- A New Hope

Changelog

- Updated Isaac Clarke, Ellie Langford, Nicole Brennan, and Hans Tiedmann bios.

Note: DO NOT READ THE BIO UPDATES UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE WATCHED THIS VIDEO

---

Well, that's it. It's done. I've had an absolute blast and I hope you have too. I'd like to thank everybody who put up with all of the delays and the singing and the cheese-wheel finding and the "it's time to do something cool oh wait I hosed it up" moments and anything else ridiculous (good or bad) that I've done. I love the Dead Space franchise, Dead Space 2 in particular, and I hope I've done right by it and any other fans of the game watching me bumble my way through bad hitboxes, funny screenshots, and stage hazards.

All of that being said, if you've enjoyed what you've seen, then subscribe to my channel, because I'm starting a new Let's Play later this week - although it won't be on the Something Awful forums - and I'll be doing more Let's Plays on the SA forums in the future. You could even like and comment on my videos if you felt so inclined, but shilling for likes and such makes me feel icky. I really just want feedback on how I can improve.

Until next time...well, you know the drill.

I'm starting Dead Space 3 sometime this Winter. Somebody is gonna get made whole.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Oh lord, I had mercidully forgotten about the ending gauntlet. It's such a pain, but to be fair it's about right in that every Necromorph in the world would be trying to stab you in the face more than ever. I still have mixed feelings about the final boss fight however.

This was a great LP, SaigonTime. :golfclap: You did some fun stuff with your editing (the Tiny Tim usage and laugh track inserts were particularly good) and your comedy was pretty solid. I went ahead and subbed to your YouTube and added you on Steam. Looking forward to your next LP. :unsmith:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Nice fake out , but you can really see how the story started to completely fall apart at the end there. Like the writers weren't sure what they wanted to happen and just made things up at random for a deadline.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Nice fake out , but you can really see how the story started to completely fall apart at the end there. Like the writers weren't sure what they wanted to happen and just made things up at random for a deadline.

Heh, thanks. The story still feels fairly cohesive to me - at least in the context of DS1/DS2 - but that may be because I've just played the game a lot and I'm used to it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SaigonTimeMD posted:

Heh, thanks. The story still feels fairly cohesive to me - at least in the context of DS1/DS2 - but that may be because I've just played the game a lot and I'm used to it.

I meant for this game. I've got some things to say about the next, but that's all for another time.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I meant for this game. I've got some things to say about the next, but that's all for another time.

Yeah. I feel like I'm going to have to do an Episode 0 just to get some stuff out of the way so that the rest of the LP doesn't become a complaint festival.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I feel like the next game ain't gonna be pretty, for some reason.

Regardless, thank you Saigon. It was a hell of an LP. Looking forward to your next project.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Dead Space 3 has some good ideas and a lot of very poor execution.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
The biggest flaw with Dead Space 3 is how impressively well it manages to take really awesome, crazy ideas and somehow make them underwhelming.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, when I heard about celestial objects I thought the idea was super cool; then I found how how Dead Space 3 presents itself and I was a sad panda.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's a lot like Resident Evil 5 and 6, in so far as being fun to play through with a friend, but very lackluster on its own.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still don't get why planet cracking would stop after a couple disasters no matter how bad they were.

Also how you'd need nonstop planet cracks to supply mankind.

You could literally have a spread out population of like 20+ billion humans over our solar system and if you cracked an earth-sized planet with water content on it and harvested even like half of it you'd have the raw materials to take care of everyone for centuries.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
The only pieces of the "extended universe" I've spent time with are the prequel comics, Dead Space: Downfall, and Dead Space: Salvage, but it seems to me that the resource usage by humankind is completely out of hand in the Dead Space universe. Only a few colonies have been established off of Earth, if I remember right, and even those were expressly for the purpose of finding more resources. Evidently Earth is now a Coruscant-like city planet that's more architectural than actual planet in Dead Space 3. The planet-cracking backlash probably came from a smaller number of accidents that happened in a very short amount of time, leaving the 'crackers without any sort of backing or anyone interested in signing up. If every expedition ends in a "terrorist attack," most folks won't want to risk it, especially since the general public, if advertisements and such found in the games are to be believed, is widely ignorant of just how bad the resource situation is.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SaigonTimeMD posted:

The only pieces of the "extended universe" I've spent time with are the prequel comics, Dead Space: Downfall, and Dead Space: Salvage, but it seems to me that the resource usage by humankind is completely out of hand in the Dead Space universe. Only a few colonies have been established off of Earth, if I remember right, and even those were expressly for the purpose of finding more resources. Evidently Earth is now a Coruscant-like city planet that's more architectural than actual planet in Dead Space 3. The planet-cracking backlash probably came from a smaller number of accidents that happened in a very short amount of time, leaving the 'crackers without any sort of backing or anyone interested in signing up. If every expedition ends in a "terrorist attack," most folks won't want to risk it, especially since the general public, if advertisements and such found in the games are to be believed, is widely ignorant of just how bad the resource situation is.

Still, unless the people of this setting have turned "shoot rare elements into space" into their national sport, there's no way they should run out of materials so quickly that they'd be forced to turn breaking planets into dust into a thriving industry. Even an absurdly wasteful civilization would have to actively be trying to exhaust their supplies for centuries on end to eliminate an entire Earth-sized planet's worth of resources.

Sci-fi writers rarely have a proper sense of scale.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

That's probably what it really boils down to.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If you think that Dead Space's writers have no sense of scale already you won't believe the scale mishaps that happen in Dead Space 3. I think they forgot that gravity is just a function of mass rather than some unique trait intrinsic to planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

Still, unless the people of this setting have turned "shoot rare elements into space" into their national sport, there's no way they should run out of materials so quickly that they'd be forced to turn breaking planets into dust into a thriving industry. Even an absurdly wasteful civilization would have to actively be trying to exhaust their supplies for centuries on end to eliminate an entire Earth-sized planet's worth of resources.

It's probably that. Or you could argue that planet cracking is a very slow and inefficient process, so only a small fraction of the valuable materials available are actually being retrieved and sent back, and there are multiple planet cracking operations going on at any one time. Though even then, it would likely be better to have multiple teams working on the same planet, so it's still kind of dumb.

• Locked thread