Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I laughed when some of the guards have swords stuck in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
You've neglected to mention the best voice clip! Jean says it when she uses her dances:

:byodame:: GYPSY MAGIIIIC

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that Leo's crew is usually good for a spot of comic relief. For all that the Destroyer dropped the hammer on Lucia initially, he hasn't really been too obviously threatening anyone else.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Lucia's voice acting gets better, or at least you get used to it, but I have to admit the delivery of "Take me to her" in that intro is loving terrible.

I realize I'm way behind the curve on Lucia VA appreciation, but after wincing through the video you posted, I wanted to know what she sounded like in the original version.

So here's her arrival in Japanese on the Sega CD. her first lines if you're really impatient come at 1:55, and Zophar appears at 5:55.

You can write your own assessment, but her English VA would've done a lot better to drop that affected floatiness, if you ask me. Lucia's Japanese VA doesn't seem to be anything special, but 'nothing special' is better than 'cringeworthy'.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Maybe I'm tineared, but I don't hear a whole lot of difference? :shrug: It's better, yeah, but not mind blowing or anything.

Japanese Zophar kinda sucks, although at least they don't bury him in 15 layers of sound filters.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 23: The Giggle Den

Last time, we escaped being capture via physical comedy. Since someone is bound to show up with some butter or something to get them out sooner of later, we decide to make a break for the safety of the carnival.

: "I wonder if they'll take me for a ride if I ask them really ni--wait! Mom wants me to go shopping but our store is in West Nota and I can't get across the bridge! Mom's going to FREAK!"

To be fair, I don't think anyone expected that encounter to play out like it did.

Because Althena loving loves Buster Keaton.

To reach the carnival, we need to head back out onto the world map and head to the northeast. Remember that the original version of the game had random encounters on the over-world, so I guess your average Joe would just have to hope no roaming eyeball monsters ate his skin before he had a chance to win an oversized plush panda.

Eventually, we spot some teepees, and you know what that means!

Circus Time!!!!

: "Step right up and see the sights! What you behold today will leave you astonished and astounded! Step right up! Step right up! Enter the Madoria Carnival and leave the real world behind!"

: "You guys got funnel cakes?"

: "Uh...no, sorry."

: "Man, gently caress this place. Let's go get arrested."

We choose to ignore Ronfar and have carnival fun times.

: "So he spits fire. Big deal! I can do that too, you know!"

: "Well, of course you can, Ruby. You're a Red Dragon... at least, that what you keep telling me."

Ronnie's got a point. Dragons are cool, but cats are cooler.

: "This is some sort of gamblin' joint? Well, I happen to have my lucky dice in my pocket!"

: "Ronfar, where is your head?! We don't have time or money to waste on gambling!"

: "That's a harsh way to look at it, my dear Lemina. Rolling the dice is...romantic, in a way."

Lemina sez ":getin:"

Inside the tent, we find this little gambling minigame. It's basically exactly like gambling against Ronnie earlier, except for money.

You just pick a wager...

Choose your bet...

And then probably lose. I'm sure you could exploit the hell outta this with save states, but I don't have the patience for that.

A Flying Cat?! starring Eric Roberts.

If that means I can get rid of the most awkward love triangle in the history of video games, then lady, you can have her!

Oh well. Hey, what happens if we talk to her again?

Everyone totally switches which side of the arguement they're on, and also Ronnie gets torched because he's the only one with a burnt face portrait. Ooookay? :shrug:

And now, the hallmark of any real carnival, child neglect.

: "I'm scared. Mommy and daddy are back home, and I don't know how to get there..."

What an odd place for this conversation to go.

: "My clothes are strange?"

: "Yeah, lady, strange! Do you see anyone else walking around with a big red robe? I wish Gramps was wearing something strange, because it'd be a lot easier to find him!"

Well, good luck with that, kiddo. Let's go see what our horoscope says!

Is this the same fortune teller we met in the woods? Because she didn't know poo poo!

:iceburn:

: "Have you come here for a glimpse at your future?"

: "Actually, I've come here to see if you happen to know where Giban might be."

: "Oh, I don't need my powers for that! He's at the north end of the Carnival. Be sure to say 'hello' for me!"

: "Did you say free?! How can we pass up an offer like that?"

: "Can you tell me if my future has money in it? Lots and lots and lots of it?"

: "Yeah, yeah, more cost, whatever. So do I get rich or not?"

I seriously hate you so much, Ruby.

Don't encourage her, you dummy!

"Hey, player, is this subplot funny or endearing yet? No? Well, we'll just keep bringing it up until it is, okay? You're welcome!" ~ Game Arts

Man, your customers are gonna be maaaaad

Balloons!

: "Hiro! Hiro! can we please get some balloons? Please?! I want to fly!"

: "What are you talking about, Ruby? You're always flying!"

: "Ronfar, you are the biggest drag on my enthusiasm!"

You really aren't winning me back with these strained puns, Ruby.

: "Please don't bother me! I have to concentrate on this song and keep the beat! Every time you talk to me, I lose the beat, and my daughter kicks me in the leg!"

: "Ha!"

: "Wow! She has a beautiful voice, doesn't she, Hiro?"

: "I dunno, there's no sound clip for her lines."

I really wish this game had a scene in which Lucia discovered 80's speed metal.

:3:

Miss Bunni's shop doesn't have anything new and there was nothing between here and Nota to drain our supply of medicinal weeds, so we can safely ignore it.

I dunno what this is doing here, but yoink!

This is the saddest carnival ever.

The Carnival of Broken Dreams.

Madam, you are an enabler.

: "Hiro, haven't we seen this girl somewhere before?"

: "Shhh! Don't let anyone know that you saw me practicing my pratfalls, or they won't laugh!"

: "I remember now! She's the clown we met in the Forest of Illusion!"

: "That's right! I remember you, too! I look a lot different when I have my makeup on, don't I? Are you guys have a good time at the Carnival? Come and see me again before you leave!"

: "You always put on a wonderful performance! Take care, and don't do TOO many pratfalls!"

Dis sonofabitch is ice cold.

Welcome to the Terrordome.

The Giggle Den is a maze in pitch blackness that you navigate by bashing your head against walls until you stumble into the right path. There are things hidden in the darkness waiting for you to find them:

Things like sexual assault! Doesn't that just make you wanna giggle?

This is kinda neat. After this dialogue one silver is actually added to your wallet!

It only works once though, probably because Game Arts knew there would be someone sad patient enough to spam this conversation and build up limitless stacks of cash.

Circus goers in Lunar are exactly as keen minded as Guards in Metal Gear Solid.

Let us leave that horrible place and never return.

Oh, hey, we found this dude! No actual side quest here, but we found him!

I hate all the customers at this Carnival.

Let's go find Giban or Gaben or whatever

That blue haired dude over there sells all the equipment upgrades we could've picked up back in Nota, but who cares because there's a giant gently caress-off cannon!

This a good plan, I like this plan.

: "It's the only way for us to get past the Nota bridge!"

: "You want to ride the Arrow?! You're braver than I thought! Either that or dangerously insane! It's fine with me, but I don't know if Giban will give you permission. It might take some convincing!"

Before we do that, there's a few familiar faces we can chat with hanging around.

Choco-babies :3:

Ronfar slicks his hair back and puffs out his chest. Receives no acknowledgement.

: "I'm sorry, but I'm not ready to come back just yet. I'm actually here to speak to Giban."

: "Oh, I see. Well, Jean, I've already designed a new costume for your triumphant return! The other performers in the caravan get upset when I spend so much attention on you..."

: "Didya ever meet up with that guy named Lunn? I know you were lookin' for him."

: "It's, uh, hard to explain."

: "I guess this means you're not comin' back to the caravan as soon as I was hopin'..."

: "I told you guys I'm not coming back until the Giggle Hut is burned to the ground."

: "Lemme tell ya, all I've been hearin' about him are great things. I don't think the folks in Meribia would leave him in charge if he wasn't a good man, ya know? And the guy's gotta have a pure heart if he's usin' somethin' like Blue Dragon Karate."

We can also duck into the wagons again.

: "What I love most about the Carnival is that everyone has a smile on their face."

: "What is there in this place makes human so happy?"

: "What do you mean?! The Carnival has singers, dancers, gambling dens, and free-flowing liquor!"

I like to imagine this dude getting gradually more manic in his exclamations while Lucia just stares, silently, like a statue.

I'm sure none of that will ever be relevant again.

In the wagon on the far left, we find these folks.

: "Are you practicing your dances? Because I've been practicing every day since you left!"

Oh man, so many carnies are gonna get attacked by bees. So many, you guys.

: "Now that you are here, we must fan the flames of our passion and set our souls on fire!"

: "Um, sorry to squirt on your fire--"

: "Phrasing!"

: "...but we weren't even friends, remember?"

: "My sweet, sweet Jean. Come into my waiting arms and embrace the love we once knew!"

:drat: Let's get outta here before we get too many sick burns in one episode.

Sup.

: "I'd love to tell you everything that's happened, Giban, but we just don't have time. Here's the short version: Althena's Guard has blocked the bridge to West Nota..."

'There's some guys in Nota and yadda, yadda, yadda, can we borrow your cannon?'

: "Never tell me the odds."

Uh oh!

Party's over, the cops are here.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Pffft, what? :roflolmao: This is the best localisation.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
How did I forget that line what is wrong with me Jean is the best character

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

In this version, do you find the weirdo who wants to play a "game" with you in the Giggle den, or did you just run screaming out of there before you found him?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

In this version, do you find the weirdo who wants to play a "game" with you in the Giggle den, or did you just run screaming out of there before you found him?

I spent a while floundering around in there before getting annoyed with it. The only other people I found were a dude who wanted a light for his lantern for he could bail and someone taking a nap. However, I would not be surprised to learn I missed a creeper or two lurking in the darkness.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Lunar NPCs are certainly never short on creepers.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
^^He's waaaaay over on the left side of the tent. He also has like eight boxes worth of dialogue.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lunar NPCs: Still completely depraved.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yo I liked this game quite a bit in my heyday. I was always enraptured by screenshots in Gamepro of the Sega CD version so I was super excited to play this version when it came out. It's anime as all get out but gently caress it, I dug that hole for myself watching anime on the Sci-Fi channel because I was interested in weird cartoons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe they shouldn't have spent so much time lost in a tent and talking to people, when getting chased.

Ronfar gets smoked because he is always behind Hiro. Lucia seems to ignore it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's not the flight that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 24: Fashion

Music ~ Justice

Last time, we went to the world's worst carnival to escape the police. Unfortunately, the large reports of sexual harassment going down at this creep fest brought the cops around, anyway. Thanks a lot, Giggle Den!

: "Okay, okay, so letting people wander around in pitch blackness with no supervision was a bad idea. I get that now. But the Carnival is not responsible for--"

: "What in Goddess's name are you blathering about?"

: "Oh. Uh...nothing. Who are you looking for, officer?"

: "We've been here for some time, sir, and we've seen no one that matches your description."

: "Really? No one at all? Because I asked a few other carnival employees and they said they saw someone in a red cape come this way."

: "Are you really gonna trust a bunch of Carnies?"

: "Hmmm, good point."

Leo's men all immediately rush the cotton candy stand.

: "Idiots..."

With the coast clear, the gang comes out of hiding, even though Leo should have totally been able to see them since they were just kinda standing against the far corner.

: "Thank you, Giban. Lord Leo has been relentless in his pursuit of poor Lucia..."

: "Jean, you don't have to thank me. I've seen the Guard punish too many innocent people."

Hiro's like "whatever you say dude, just don't turn me in"

Did somebody say "MAKEOVER"~?!?!

: "New clothes? But..."

: "Don't worry, Lucia! With all the clothes in the caravan, we'll find something that suits your style!"

: "I'll help you, too! I love doing makeovers, and I'll only charge you a small commission."

: "Don't leave me out! I wanna help Lucia, too!"

: "I don't want you ladies girl-ing up the whole joint."

: "Have fun!"

And so, the girls go off giggling to have fun girl times, leaving the men to make awkward small talk, the favored pastime of all males.

: "Ronfar, is thing gonna kill us?"

: "Oh, definitely. But we'll die at the Circus, so try to have fun!"

: "...but now we sit around the campfire, looking up at the Blue Star and praying for her safety. Promise me that you'll protect her from harm. I don't want to worry so much!"

Seriously, Jean's probably the biggest bad-rear end on the team at the moment, not counting Lem's ability to conjure the apocalypse.

Lunar is basically the town from Footloose pre-Kevin Bacon

: "There are times when she's gonna need your help, just as you need hers. Take good care of her, 'cause she's the heart and soul of this caravan."

: "Don't kinkshame, Hiro."

Anyway, there's nothing else to do. Let's see if the girls are done having fun.

: "Does this anything to do with that 'kink' thing you said? Because I'm not sure--"

: "Just follow my lead..."

Lem knows what's up.

Let's Take a Look!

: "Oh, that's definitely not you, Lucia."

: "I think the bow's kinda cute!"

: "Next!"

Lucia's mustache falls off.

: "No way!"

: "Yeah, too far west! Next!"

gently caress both y'alls, that one looks stylin' as hell!

: "Hahaha! Next year's fashion rage?"

: "That one's not too bad! Heeheehee! Are your suckers for sale?"

: "Are you sure this is really my color?"

: (in the same tone you would use with a toddler) "No! We were just joking!"

: "Listen, kid, I know you're trying to be a good guy, and I know you got a little hillbilly boner for our alien friend. But I don't care. This isn't a sex thing: it's not Jean stripping down in there. But beyond this door, this flimsy little curtain that gypsies call a door because they live in the fuckin' woods, are space boobs. Boobs. From SPACE. I don't want to steal your weird little girlfriend, kiddo."

: "I just want to go to my grave knowing that I saw boobs from beyond the sky. Is that so much to ask?"

: "I'm sorry, Ronfar, but it's not right!"

: "How dare you stand between a man and his dream!"

*THUD*

: "Ronfar?!"

: "Hiro?!"

: "You...you...creeps!!!!"

Hiro doesn't answer because he's busy trying to hate Ronfar to death.

You can change her clothes, but Lucia is still a space robot, through and through.

: "Oh no! Not the bees! Anything but the BEEEEEEES!"

Mandatory Viewing

And thus, Hiro and Ronfar died. RIP

As much as a corpse can behave, yeah.

: "I think they really enhance her natural beauty!"

The Winning Outfit

The European Swordsman outfit was better :colbert:

HE LIVES!

Must be a stomach bug going around.

Good plan.

Lemina's right. That excuse didn't fly for Jill Valentine in RE3, and her outfit didn't include an awkward arm scarf thing.

The one good thing about this carnival is all these sweet moments for Jean :unsmith:

This is kinda like hearing your grandpa say your girlfriend has a nice rear end.

: "I'm beautiful? I...look good?"

: "Why do you smile at me when you say those things?"

: "Fuckin' hell, really?"

: "He's complementing you, Lucia. Don't tell me you've never been complimented before!"

: "The trick is to figure out which people mean it, and which are just saying it to kiss your butt."

: "I assure you, I meant it."

Everybody load into the deathtrap!

:frogbon:

That sounds legit.

He actually moves all around the Magic Arrow, fiddling with little bits here and there.

: "Hey guys, I bet I know what's gonna happen."

: "Shut up, Ronfar. I'm still mad at you for being a creep-o."

: "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS MY DREAMS!"

Everyone piles in, and apparently there's enough room in there for five people and a cat?

UH-OH!

: "Oh crap, you found the Giggle Den."

: "Private Jacobs went in there and now he won't stop crying! What is wrong with this place?!"

: "Oh, and also the wanted fugitives."

: "Cheese it! It's the fuzz!"

: "..."

: "I fuckin' hate you, Hiro."

: "Do you really think that you can escape me again?!"

*ZZZAAAP*

Leo fires a two frame lightning bolt from his sword that I failed to cap multiple times. It strikes the Magic Arrow and this somehow makes it switch directions? Magic is pretty handy.

: "I totally called i--"

: "--fuuuuuUUUUUUUUUU"

: "Whoooo's ideaaaaa wasssss thissssss?"

: "Oh Goddess, I'm gonna hurl!"

: "Don't aim it this way! Hey! Ronfar, what the hell!? Keep your hands to yourself!"

: "I'm too scared to properly cop a feel!"

: "My seatbelt didn't work! IT DIDN'T WORK ! AAAAAHHHHHH!"

: "This vehicle is less stable than previously indicated."

*CRASH*

WELP!

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 12, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Crowetron posted:

You can change her clothes, but Lucia is still a space robot, through and through.

I am here to protect you.

Protect me?

I am here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

... Okay?

Please go to the stairs so I can protect you.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Crowetron posted:

The European Swordsman outfit was better :colbert:
Argh! The Space Face! :cthulhu:
I can't tell if it's getting more or less disturbing as I look at it longer.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I am here to protect you.

Protect me?

I am here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

... Okay?

Please go to the stairs so I can protect you.

uh SPOILERS

Rockopolis posted:

Argh! The Space Face! :cthulhu:
I can't tell if it's getting more or less disturbing as I look at it longer.

Lucia is suffering from Chronic Anime Syndrome, and it's impolite to draw attention to it :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure that outfit on Lucia is the only thing I could remember from reading a walkthrough for a portion of this game in an old Gamepro or like magazine when I was a kid. And the fact that it's a mid-game costume change explains why this game still seemed odd to me. That answers a number of questions I had.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

In case anyone wants to know, Hiro was totally up for peeping Space Boobies in the original. Although considering how the cramped the tent has to be, I'm not really sure how the two can see much of anything.

EDIT: Oh, and preemptively, gently caress you. I hate the next dungeon and I hate you got to play the easier version of it.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 12, 2013

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hmm...looking back at these two pics, I have to agree with you, Crowe. The swordsman outfit does look way better.

And the Giggle Den jokes (in all sincerity) will never stop being funny. Ever.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

EDIT: Oh, and preemptively, gently caress you. I hate the next dungeon and I hate you got to play the easier version of it.

I'll be sure to mention the differences in the smuggest way possible :smugdog:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Crowetron posted:

I'll be sure to mention the differences in the smuggest way possible :smugdog:

That's it, I'm going back to edit my Mystic Ruins update and replace all of my commentary with "gently caress you Crowetron."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I liked old Leo throwing a rock at the rocket and confusing it.

Jean: That one's not too bad. Are your suckers for sale?
You can check the script on gamefaqs.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I'm not sure why I decided to draw this, but here you go.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm not sure why I decided to draw this, but here you go.

Fire will cleanse all! Added to the second post!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Jean: That one's not too bad. Are your suckers for sale?
You can check the script on gamefaqs.

I've actually been using a script from gamefaqs when I'm feeling lazy. Guess I should make sure to double check more often! Consider it fixed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, if Lucia can survive a fall from space, she can certainly survive a fall from a Magic Arrow. Everyone else needs some serious base-jumping experience.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Well, if Lucia can survive a fall from space, she can certainly survive a fall from a Magic Arrow. Everyone else needs some serious base-jumping experience.

You'll note that she stuck the landing, while everyone else fell flat on their faces. She must have some serious knee strength...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You'll note that she stuck the landing, while everyone else fell flat on their faces. She must have some serious knee strength...

Well, it is easier to move without cloth covering her legs.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
She probably just hovered or something she did that out of the crystal.

Though, I guess it's more appropriate to imagine she Kerri Strug'd it because that's just one more dated 90's reference to add to the bucket.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Yeah, I'm guessing she just magic'd her way to a safe standing landing.

Mostly because I'm pretty sure you have to be a werewolf to stick the landing after being shot from a cannon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Lucia's new outfit sucks. She was much more interesting as a magic space cardinal.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

While the art in these anime cutscenes is far more terrible than I remember, her new outfit is a good one. :colbert:

It's all about the off-shoulder blouse and patterned shawl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Counterpoint: The Swordsman outfit makes her look like a Utena character.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

Counterpoint: The Swordsman outfit makes her look like a Utena character.

...is that meant to be a negative?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Please don't let this thread die.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm sure that right now, he's playing out most of the rest of the game and planning his updates in advance so that such a long pause between updates never happens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Gologle posted:

I'm sure that right now, he's playing out most of the rest of the game and planning his updates in advance so that such a long pause between updates never happens again.

You are aware that Saints Row IV is out, right?

• Locked thread