Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cardiovorax posted:

"The greatest of feasts!" :spergin:

Joke's on you, you remember Drakgenguard dialog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Chokes McGee posted:

Joke's on you, you remember Drakgenguard dialog!

Lalalalala, lalalalala! The Watchers, they laugh!
(At least it wasn't as bad as Drakengard 2's dialogue)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
A Love That Crushes Like a Plasma Rain; Let's Play Lunar 2!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Y'all are weird.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Just a heads up, I updated the fanart section on the first page and an honest-to-God real update is coming Sunday!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 35: BK Kids Club

: "What even just happened?"

: "We were bested in combat and imprisoned by a large number of small children."

: "I am surprised you do not remember, as Ronfar has been speaking very loudly about the event since it occured."

: "That's because nets are loving bullshit!"

:iceburn:

: "There was something I noticed while the little munchkins were so effectively humiliating us. Jean said that the leader of the Cult wore a mask, but Nall was bare-faced. Interesting, no?"

: "VERY interesting. Well, Jean? Do you think the masked man has ditched his gimmick?"

: "I honestly don't know if it's the masked man or not, but my hunch is that it isn't. The slaves of the Cult had broken spirits and dark hearts..."

: "I didn't need to know that."

Judging from last update? I'd bet the Warner Brothers were involved.

: "But what is he doing here, and why is he with these children?"

: "I don't have time to try and make sense of it. I must find the Goddess Althena!"

: "I bet some of them could become leaders of the Magic Guild when they grow up!"

: "Isn't that supposed to be your job?"

: "Pfft, by the time one of those little snots is old enough to graduate, I plan to be retired on an island somewhere, surrounded by shirtless beefcakes and endless martinis."

: "I want to go to there..."

: "Yeah, it's pretty obvious this isn't the evil cult we're looking for."

: "All I want to know is what they're going to do with us now that they've got us!"

: "All I want to know is whether or not I have to kill myself..."

: "I don't think they're going to harm us, Ruby. These children aren't members of the Cult."

: "The children of the Cult were always covered with bruises, and they never smiled."

: "But these children are so ALIVE. Even when they were attacking us, you could see them smiling."

: "So that means Master Lunn lied to us...but WHY?"

: "I don't know if he lied, Lemina. Maybe his advisors gave him the wrong information."

: "We could come up with theories all night, buckaroos...but how about we just get some sleepy-beepy and see what happens in the morning?"

Ronfar actually says "sleepy-beepy", by the way. I don't know what the gently caress either.

SLEEP TIME

Music ~ Taben's Peak

: "Wake up, booger-brains!"

: "All your other friends have been awake for hours! Now come on and help us work, because there's plenty to do!"

They're putting us to work? This is the worst tree-house ever!

We're free to wander around now, so let's head upstairs.

: "Hey, little buddy! Want some eggs? I'm makin' eggs. Ruby, want some eggs? Jean, eggs? Yo, Lem! Eggs? How about you, kiddo, eggs? Anyone, eggs? Where's Lucia? Bet she'd want some eggs."

: "Please don't bug me! I'm watching that old man to make sure he doesn't put anything in the food!"

: "Wow! You're good, Ronfar! I didn't think you had a talent for anything besides gambling!"

Ronnie never misses an opportunity to mention that he was totally had sex, you guys.

: "Actually, this reminds me of the times that Leo and Mauri would come over to my house. I'd make us a huge meal, and we'd stay up all night, eating and talking and laughing."

: "That sounds nice. I sure hope we don't encounter a plot twist that will make your fond memories become painful ones."

: "...Thanks?"

: "Have you seen Lucia?"

Oh, that'll go well.

These kids do NOT gently caress around.

Dang, Ronnie has been cooking up a storm.

Wow, these kids managed to build a plot barrier. I'm genuinely impressed.

No monkey bars? gently caress this place :colbert:

Jean is entertaining the kids in the least violent way she knows how.

The absence of amoral murder cults really cheered her up, didn't it?

: "Before they died, they told me to come to Taben's Peak if anything happened to them."

'Dragon Kid'? Are there like member ship cards or little badges or something?

We have a lot of talking to get through, so there's no time to play on the swings :(

: "Papa went to the ocean to catch fish and sell them at the market, but he never came back home. A big, white bird found me and brought me here. I wish the bird would find Papa..."

Jesus, these orphans are downers.

Let's fuckin' bail.

: "If I took you down to the bottom and you escaped, Nall would have my head! He just promoted me from dish-washing duty, and I ain't going back!"

: "He might even send me back to my own game! You don't want to go to my game."

: "Uh, okay. Can you let go of my leg now?"

: "Why are you laughing? Being a guard is an important job!"

: "I'm laughing because you're the cutest guard I've ever seen. Keep up the good work!"

We can't leave, so let's head back inside and head upstairs.

: "That blonde girl has been complaining all morning, but at least she's working."

Speak of the devil, here's Lemina. And what's she doing?

So, Ronfar's cooking, which he enjoys, and Jean's dancing, which she loves. Lem is mopping the floors. Maybe she's also having a good time?

Well, two outta three ain't bad.

Fight the system, little clown child. Fight on.

: "Every day he tells me a new story about our world. Sometimes, he talks about his adventures, and sometimes, he tells me about the Goddess!"

: "He knows the Goddess?"

: "He says he knew her before she was famous."

I don't know if this tree house has the materials to treat third degree burns, so let's take Ruby away from the grabby child before anything happens. This middle passage leads to a nice balcony.

Taben's Peak always kinda reminded me of the sweet castle you got in Suikoden 2. Sadly, Hiro won't be acquiring his own palatial estate or army made of misfits.

baby

I wonder if he's talking about those weird sewage obsessed urchins we met.

Well, this is clearly inappropriate for children. I'll just pocket this and safely dispose of it later.

I guess Nall's a real stickler for the Neverland vibe he's got going on here.

I bet Hiro would've gotten laundry duty if he didn't sleep like a rock. Lucky for us, we don't give a fuuuuuuuuuck

Except for us. Right now. Dumbass.

: "Hiro! One of these little shits just handed me a plunger and told me to 'get to it'! A plunger?! I can't lower myself to toilet maintence!"

: "Can you go take care of that for me, instead?"

: "I'd love to help you out, Lemina, but I have to...uh...build a...birdhouse. Real important. Gotta go!"

: "Hiro, you little fucker, if you make me do this, I'll shove a fireball so far up your--!"

: "Gotta go deal with that. Okay BYE!"

: *inarticulate yelling*

: "Whoop whoop whoop!"

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I legitimately love this place. So much. But uh

Was that Seere? Did you really go there?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Galick posted:

I legitimately love this place. So much. But uh

Was that Seere? Did you really go there?

I needed some extra talking heads for the kids, and some people got me thinking about Drakengard, and well...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

BABIES :argh:

Well, actually, if we've decided to bring Drakengard kicking and screaming into this game, maybe it'll turn out for the best!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
God, please don't bring any more Drakengard in here. At least until we leave Taben's Peak. Imagine if Leonard or Arioch made their way here.

Though I will admit I'd like to see how far Nall puts his boot up Leonard's rear end for trying anything.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If it was Asagi, I would have died.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Scalding Coffee posted:

If it was Asagi, I would have died.

You're already dead.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Crowetron posted:

: "We could come up with theories all night, buckaroos...but how about we just get some sleepy-beepy and see what happens in the morning?"

Ronfar actually says "sleepy-beepy", by the way. I don't know what the gently caress either.
To be fair to Ronfar, he took a lot of pinecones to the head that day, followed by what likely included another blow to the head when he fell off the ladder. Along with a bit of oxygen deprivation from the pepper bomb. Guy was probably smelling purple by that point.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crowetron posted:

I needed some extra talking heads for the kids, and some people got me thinking about Drakengard, and well...

Don't go back, Seere. Seriously. You don't want to know what happens to kids in your world :ohdear:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 36: Putty Patrol

Lucia's confronting Nall about something, so let's go see what...

...is this a loving throne room?

This IS a loving throne room! On top of a tree fort! Did the kids build this, too? I'm pretty sure child labor laws exist on Lunar, so what the gently caress, Nall?

: "You have told me that at least twice everyday since we met. I didn't forget!"

Instead you just sent some of your child slaves to do it, huh? I'm on to you, you skunk-haired bastard.

: "I have an important question for you, Hiro. Is this girl really Lucia, Princess of the Blue Star?"

: "Yes, she is. That's one of the first things she told me when I found her in the Blue Spire."

When Hiro says this, Ruby makes a skeptical face and does a jerk-off motion.

: "I was in the first game."

: "In the what-now?"

This is pretty much how I answer any and all questions, irl.

Before I can demand the thread draw me a picture of Hiro with "attitude", the scene is interrupted by a piercing scream!

Music ~ Growing Fear

!!!!

: "drat it!"

Nall books outta the room while our heroes stare gormlessly

: "Let's talk after we find out what's happening! Come on!"

Before we rush off, might as well ask if the kids in the play room know what's happening.

Well, poo poo.

: "You were standing right there when I went into Nall's room. I even told you I was going in there. Did you know he has a throne room?"

: "What? In a tree house?"

: "That's pretty baller."

: "Focus, people!"

: "So did we! Where's Nall?"

: "Come on, let's go!"

Party up, nerds!

Well, we found the Cult.

: "What the fu--"

: "Wait, what did you think I meant?"

: "Uh...nothin'."

: "Help us, Nall!"

: "What are you, some kinda evil Yoda?!"

: "People keep saying that, and I keep telling them that I don't watch Doctor Who!"

:black101:

:gowron:

She's alive and she's gonna ruin your whole week, buddy.

: "Don't worry, Jean. I shall train these children as diligently as I trained you...but it would be cruel to expect any of them to match your skills in the art of assassination."

: "Really? You want to talk about this NOW?!"

: "Ninja VANISH!"

Music ~ Somber Memories

: "Aren't we...y'know, better at this heroic rescue stuff?"

: "Usually, yeah."

: "Everyone has off days, kid. Don't beat yourself up over it."

Turns out ninjas can climb fences. Who'da thunk it.

: "I won't stop until every last Cultist chokes on their own shattered spines!"

: "Good Goddess, woman, there are still children present! Besides..."

: "You don't understand, Nall! Jean was--"

There's a long pause here, as Nall stares us down.

: "You probably don't want Ronfar's story. It's pretty gross."

: "It is, honestly, disgusting."

: "Really? Even crazier than a GHOST HOUSE?!"

: "Plus, Lu came from space."

: "This bitch is from space! Our stories rule, you dweeb!"

: "But I still don't have complete trust in you, and can you really blame me? So here's what I'll do."

please take Ruby please take Ruby please please please

Dangit

: "Lucia doesn't level up, so she won't miss out on any of the EXP you guys'll get from the inevitable sewer dungeon I send you to!"

: "That actually sounds pretty reasonable--"

: "--wait, sewer?!"

Soundlessly, the children descend on their prey as one.

The prey will struggle, but it is fruitless. The children will eat well this day.

: "Please hurry, Hiro. Your world moves closer to destruction with each passing moment."

As quickly as they came, the children are gone. Life on the Serengeti moves on.

: "We've done some investigation of the Cult..."

Of course it is.

: "A long time ago, you could enter the sewers from Ramus' shop or Lunn's dojo."

: "Underground sewers? Quite a fitting location for a group of vermin like the Cult."

In a minute, there's some stuff to see on the way out.

Like the next episode of Lucia's 'Beep-boop I am from space what are feelings' theater!

: "Miss Lucia, I'd feel much better if you gave me a hug."

In the hallway, Ronfar's eye begins to twitch violently.

:unsmith:

: "Miss Lucia, will you sing me a song? I want to hear a lullaby. Please please please please PLEASE!"

: "Oh! You mean the magic which makes tiny humans fall asleep."

Just in case you're not yet in a diabetic coma, we can also pop in a chat with Lu and the kids.

Everyone's pretty down about the recent kidnapping.

Now that we have a mission from Nall, we're allowed to ride the gondola back to ground level.

There's no animation or anything, but a shortcut's a shortcut!

Before we leave, we can even indulge in Hiro's mischievous side.

This kid owns.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've replayed most of this game since I started following the LP, and all I have to say about this part is thank you for being selective about the NPC conversations you choose to include.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This update was golden. I don't even know where to start, but I love you.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure Ghaleon built that throne. And don't tell me Ghaleon didn't built a throne room. Fucker probably demanded there be a throne room for him wherever he went. (Actually, he did built one in the original, I honestly forget if there was one in the Grindery in the remake, although it on top of the tower and not in the Grindery itself... although perhaps they built the base in the tow- yeah, trying to pin down precise locations in these games are futile)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm pretty sure Ghaleon built that throne. And don't tell me Ghaleon didn't built a throne room. Fucker probably demanded there be a throne room for him wherever he went. (Actually, he did built one in the original, I honestly forget if there was one in the Grindery in the remake, although it on top of the tower and not in the Grindery itself... although perhaps they built the base in the tow- yeah, trying to pin down precise locations in these games are futile)

It could be Ghaleon's old throne, which would be decidedly more baller, but I'm still gonna keep my eye on that guy.

Rollersnake posted:

I've replayed most of this game since I started following the LP, and all I have to say about this part is thank you for being selective about the NPC conversations you choose to include.

I've been planning to start cutting down more townfolk chatter than before (since I'd like to actually finish this LP at some point), and this update was a good place to start axing poo poo. Not only was there a lot of "Oh no, kidnappers!" phrased slightly differently, there was also some really dull "We'll save your friends!" crap for like four of the kids, and one really awkward gay joke out of absolutely nowhere.

Gologle posted:

This update was golden. I don't even know where to start, but I love you.

Thanks! I have a lot of fun writing the little extra dialogue. Sometimes I worry that some of the jokes are only funny to me, so it's nice to hear good things.

At the same time, if I go overboard (like with Rattigan in PE2), let me know.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

You really can't win with continuity areas like this. Make them different like they did here, and people will bitch that you're inconsistent and can't remember details. Make them the same area as the original and people will complain that it's boring and that they've been through this poo poo before.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, it takes some stones for anyone to set up shop in the freakin' Grindery, but Nall especially.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 37: The Sewer Level

Today, we're heading back to Meribia to actually for real save the kidnapped children this time!

: "Y'know, I just thought of something."

: "About loincloths?"

: "No, not about loincloths."

: "If these cult guys are here, in the city, why don't we go tell Lunn about it? That way, he can help us beat up the cult dudes, and we get to watch karate master Lunn beat up cult dudes."

: "That...is actually a really good idea."

: "What? Dang, how long were we in kinder-prison?"

Well, that's convenient. He's got all the time in the world for exposition, but when a sewer dungeon comes up, he's out-of-town? I got my eye on you, Lunn.

Anyway, not much else has changed in Meribia, but apparently something's amiss at Ramus' joint. Didn't Nall say something about Ramus' shop having an entrance to the sewers?

Sucks for you, grandpa

Guys, I think the Ramuses might be a Mob family :tinfoil:

Lunar 1 Ramus in a boss fight? He definitely got killed by that stinky dragon, dude.

So, here we are in that creepfest of a hole.

Music ~ Conquering the Cave

While it is a sewer level, our trip into the depths of Meribia is honestly pretty painless.

Nearly all the enemies down here are vulnerable to Fire, so Lemina could pretty much solo the joint if MP restoring items weren't so expensive.

The Fatal Hoppers (fish with legs) can inflict Paralysis, but they hardly ever actually use that attack, and are usually dead by the end of the first turn.

Grog Snakes are hardier, but the most dangerous thing they can do is inflict poison, which like "haha whatever bro"

The main gimmick of the Meribia Sewers are these buttons on the wall. Press one...

And it lowers a corresponding bridge. No setting foot in the poo water for us!

Even though the local beasties are pretty much nonissues, we give decent rewards. Since you can just run back out the the Goddess Statue whenever you need to, this isn't a bad place to grind up a little cash if you couldn't afford all the gear upgrades in town.

To the south, we find this bridge that we can't lower just yet. I'm gonna go ahead and say that this creates a shortcut that will let us heal up before the boss, so I usually just steamroll this place with liberal MP usage.

I still don't waste any Star Lights. These bad boys are reserved for emergencies.

: "Hey, Jean. What the heck is that thing?"

: "It's just one of those walking zucchini sharks you hear about."

: "And it shoots lasers. Of course it does."

The Gunfoot is the only thing lurking around that isn't weak to fire. Other than that, it's only notable in being...unique.

Ronnie picked up vampirism! Light Litany isn't bad, doing some nice damage, but I never got much use out it. I'll try it out more in this run, but Ron's main job healing OTHER people, so we'll see how useful it is.

There's not too much to say about thi--

is that treasure

gimme

Actually, nevermind, this steel crap cannot compare to the might that is THE LEGENDARY POT LID!!

Levels for everyone!

:getin:

Swarm Dance is ultimately less useful than Dream Dance, since more enemies are immune to Paralysis than Sleep, but that will not stop me from murdering sewage fish with my BULLET BEES

Ooo, more goodies

The Quake Staff is obviously Lemina's earth elemental weapon. Unfortunately, nothing around here is weak to earth, so...

: "I AM THE HAMMER! I BRING THE RAZE!"

The Dew Ring prevents sleep. It goes straight to Ronfar, so that's one less thing that can take my healer out of the fight.

also, balls

The Ammonia is the last of the Human Waste Dwellers, and easily the most annoying. Though they are weak to all forms of magic, their physical defense is high enough to reduce most sword or fan blows to single digits. They can also hit the whole party for 40ish HP by spinning around like jerks.

Still more of an irritating speed bump than a threat.

Why are there stairs here? Does someone maintain this place? But the only entrance was boarded up and forgotten years ago. Good Lord, has Meribia been sitting on top of a hollow maze of slowly growing fecal piles for decades?!

Hey, free hat.

TWO free hats.

We're nearly done here, I promise.

haha, gross

That door leads to the boss, but the button on the wall opens the shortcut back to the beginning, so we hit that first.

Also, both of those chests have Star Lights, so they clearly expected you to burn everything in your path down here.

On my trip to the surface, Hiro learned this! It's an upgrade to a spell I never used that is visually identical to the original version! More damage, at least.

Lem also picks up her first spell upgrade, and it's much better. Single target spells are her most efficient damage dealers for bosses, and Ice Arrows lets her bombard a target with three icy blades.

: "Let's kick some ICE!"

I ended up needing to go back to find the last few goodies down here. Silver Lights are full MP heals, and are as rare as they are valuable.

And a very nice armor upgrade for Jean. Why do I keep playing these games involving fancy dresses and sewage?

Let's go fight these cultists or water dragon or electric crocodile or whatever

Music ~ Tension

: "Pretty big talk coming from a Tiki mask in an evening gown."

And, like Rita Repulsa before him, the Masked Man sends his Putties to fight us.

Despite the fact that three of them are going Super Saiyan, the Assassins aren't much of a challenge. They don't even get proper boss music.

As you can see, they're weak to Ice and, oddly enough, Poison. So, I had the ladies stick to group attacks, while Hiro did sword things and Ronfar healed. As long as Ronnie's tossing out Calm Litany, this is a damage race you can't lose.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but every nonboss enemy has different sprites for when they are suffering from different status effects. In this battle, I learned that the status sprite completely overrides their various attack stances, so you can rob yourself of the helpful tells enemies like to give if you're not careful.

It doesn't matter here, cuz these dudes are chumps, but it might complicate things later.

I wish all pushover mini-bosses paid so well. You'd think "Masters of the Art of Killing" would last longer than 4 turns against a gang of plucky teenagers.

: "Fiendish Doctor Wu..."

: "...you done hosed up now!!!"

And then Jean kicked a man's face off.

And then we let him escape to his boat, because come on, it's still only the first disc, buddy.

Jean rules :allears:

: "There's a martial arts murder tournament and THIS is the first I'm hearing of it?!"

: "Oh my gosh, we are so going to that!"

Uh, okay. Bye?

: "If we take this mask to Master Lunn and show it to him, maybe we can earn his trust. And once he trusts us, I'm sure he'll be willing to help us!"

Yeah, Dr. Wu's little pre-battle schpiel was was voice-acted. I didn't include it because otherwise his identity would be too obvious

Yeah, let's go right now!

Oh.

Music ~ The Blue Spire

: "See ya later!"

: "Kids today have no attention span! Didn't they hear you say we were going to Taben's Peak? I hope they'll be okay, Hiro. The way they went out isn't the way we came in. C'mon, let's go!"

Well, I don't feel like trudging back through poo-gas, so let's follow those kids.

This doesn't look like a sewer...

Wonder where it leads?

The Dojo?

Jesus Christ, did everyone in Meribia just build on top of manholes or something? Did they invent sewers before toilets, so they just went down to the basement and just poo poo right into the water in the old days? That's ridiculous, Meribia is ridiculous.

Let's leave.

Actually, first let's tell Ramus a thing or two about health codes.

: "They're dark and creepy...and I bet they're haunted by the ghosts of restless Meribians. Wait a minute..."

Man, gently caress this town.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
: Do you desire power?!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Crowetron, I really wonder about you leaving out the VA on The Masked Man. While I appreciate your willingness to try and help out with this reveal, I'm not really sure it's worth your effort. Because really ... we all know who it is, right? This is blindingly obvious.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Crowetron, I really wonder about you leaving out the VA on The Masked Man. While I appreciate your willingness to try and help out with this reveal, I'm not really sure it's worth your effort. Because really ... we all know who it is, right? This is blindingly obvious.

Yeah, that Nall can't fool anybody.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Are these Assassin's vulnerable to charm too? I don't remember. It'd be funny if they were vulnerable in bother versions, but they're easy enough here, so I guess it doesn't matter.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Psion posted:

I didn't know who it was, but I googled and guessed right on the first try.

It's Ronfar. He's been playing both sides all along :ohdear:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ArchWizard posted:

It's Ronfar. He's been playing both sides all along :ohdear:

And here I thought it was centaur Leo. :(

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You people are silly. The Masked Man is clearly Ruby.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The Masked Man is Alex, back from the dead.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I have no drat clue why, but I remember these guys kicking the poo poo out of me on my first runthrough. Probably cause I think I was level...20ish around here? With armor and weaponry that was oudated two or three towns ago, aside from the magical lid? Kid me was dumb.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If Revolver Ocelot didn't have those lines covering his eyes, he would notice Jean was coming at him.

Camel Pimp posted:

Are these Assassin's vulnerable to charm too? I don't remember. It'd be funny if they were vulnerable in bother versions, but they're easy enough here, so I guess it doesn't matter.
I would say yes. It was the funniest thing for enemies to fight each other.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Psion posted:

Look, I just don't want people to know that Gwyn was living a dual life, okay?

Camel Pimp posted:

I actually totally forgot that Charm/Confusion was even a status effect in this game. I can check, but I'd rather take the lazy option and just take Scalding Coffee's word for it. :v:

(also, I really need to catch up on your LP, but I'm terrified of subconsciously stealing jokes)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Crowetron posted:

I actually totally forgot that Charm/Confusion was even a status effect in this game. I can check, but I'd rather take the lazy option and just take Scalding Coffee's word for it. :v:

(also, I really need to catch up on your LP, but I'm terrified of subconsciously stealing jokes)

It is pretty easy to forget about Charm in this game, as it doesn't work on much of anything. And you're not using Dance after a certain point anyway. Although the actual area of the effect is actually half-decent in this game, if I can recall.

(Hey, the whole reason I was desperate to rush ahead was so I couldn't steal your jokes. No prob.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Mighty convenient that Lucia suddenly disappeared before we found Masked Man. Have we ever seen them in the same place at the same time? :tinfoil:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

It is pretty easy to forget about Charm in this game, as it doesn't work on much of anything. And you're not using Dance after a certain point anyway. Although the actual area of the effect is actually half-decent in this game, if I can recall.

(Hey, the whole reason I was desperate to rush ahead was so I couldn't steal your jokes. No prob.)

Actually, the AoE of Jean's various dances get shorter with each one. Butterfly Dance has decent range, Dream Dance slightly less so, Swarm Dance not that great, but with Soul Soul Kiss (the AoE charm dance) the range is pretty bad, to the point where enemies practically have to be on top of each other.

Also I think the assassins were immune to it in this version. I can go back and check at some point though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Oh come on guys, this is clearly Ghaleon's new doll. He's pulled this poo poo before with the Magic Emperor and he clearly survived the first game, so he's had centuries to screw around and try new things, so this time the doll isn't named after him and is a martial artist instead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The Masked Man is a chicken, I tell you! A giant chicken!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

W.T. Fits posted:

The Masked Man is a chicken, I tell you! A giant chicken!

:golfclap: Bravo, goonsire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 38: Vexed

Well, the Shadow Dragon Cult got away, but we saved the children! Let's celebrate!

Music ~ Taben's Peak

: "I waited here while you were gone, and I didn't cry at all!"

: "But there's something I don't understand. Why am I crying even when I feel so happy?"

:unsmith:

: "Yeah, we're pretty great."

Nall is pretty chill about dead children.

: "What uh...what's happening here, exactly?"

: "I find the best thing to do in these situations is to keep quiet and hope like hell you don't get roped into whatever the hell is going on over there."

: "Is he gonna gently caress Hiro's cat?!"

: "Oh, mos' def. Like I said, just steer clear of all that situation over there."

The party quickly turns to the elated children to distract them from the knowledge that the game's mascot character is now involved in two love triangles.

: "Actually, several of the children outside were--"

:3:

The party are more than happy to entertain the rugrats. Except Hiro. He's only got one thing on his mind.

: "Nuh-uh. She was just here, so she can't have gone very far. Why don't you go find her and let these kids calm down a bit?"

So, now we're set loose to go find Lucia. Let's see what's hopping with our buddies, first though.

Get dat lunch money, girl.

I like that Jean can focus on her vendetta borne of a tragic backstory without brooding and grimacing all the time. Even with the martial arts elements, her subplot would be goddamn tedious if she spent all her time lurking on rooftops in the rain.

And Ronnie's just tryin' to get his little buddy some action. If Ruby dropped her creepy romance angle, this would be the best JRPG party in the genre.

All the kids are super jazzed to be rescued. Sadly, there's no side-quest to help this kid get hella swole.

Upstairs, Hiro hears singing. It seems to be coming from the balcony.

There's really no way to convey this scene in still images, so click this video

Technically, yes, that was singing.

Oh, that explains it.

: "I didn't know you had such a good voice, Lucia! I bet Hiro's surprised, too!"

: (I should've known her voice was as beautiful as she was...) "Yeah, I was surprised, alright! So which one of you rugrats taught her to sing?"

That's true. It's the law.

Then the rest of the gang shows up, drawn by the siren song of voice acting.

: "It was terri--"

: "--rific! Terrific, is what I was going to say!"

: "I only sang because they asked me to...but I continued to sing because I enjoyed it."

That awkward pause really happens in the game, and I laugh my rear end off every time.

All the kids out here gush over how great Lu's singing voice is.

Backhanded compliments are still compliments!

Jean had to excuse herself for the next ten minutes until her laughing fits died down.

I'm sure that little scene had no effect on this small child's view of his new hero.

oh

: "We accept rewards in all forms: money, cash, silver, dolla dolla bills..."

: "Hey, that's great! Now get out."

: "C'mon, Lemina. Isn't seeing all these smiling faces reward enough?"

: "I didn't trudge through ancient sewage for warm fuzzies, ya weird carnie. Some of us have bills to pay."

: "Nall! You're just in time! I was just about to kick a hole in a bitch!"

: "Jean, no!"

: "Hiro, if you ruin this for me too, I swear to Goddess..."

: "If you guys want to embarrass yourselves in front of the children, be my guest. I can wait......Are we done? Good."

Sweet! Back in Lunar 1, these bad boys could instantly warp you to any location you had visited previously.

This is quite the downgrade, but I won't say no to free stuff.

Read: places where the plot says "no"

: "Be careful on your travels, and come back here if you need any more help."

Nall turns to leave, but pauses.

Nall is now officially Hiro's favorite person.

: "...we're gonna have to have an intervention for a cat, aren't we?"

: "You can. I'm sticking with my 'stay the gently caress away' strategy."

Anyway, the route ahead is clear, so let's move on.

: "...but that's just until we get the Magic Guild up and running. And my mother will be very happy when I show her that I've brought four new recruits!"

: "Hiro, when are we going to tell Lemina that we're not planning on joining the Guild?"

: "We don't have to tell her yet, Ruby. I don't want to ruin our chance at checking out Vane!"

World Map Tunes ~ Promenade

Lucky for us, Vane is like...right there. I bet you could compare the world map between games and the cutscene of Vane getting shot down to see if it's crashed in the right place.

But you shouldn't. You loving nerd.

: "Oh my. This certainly is..."

: "Great! Vane looks great! Right, Jean?"

: "Y-yes. It's very...venerable!"

Jinkies!

Weird. I don't remember giving Game Arts permission to use my likeness...

By the way, this is Lemina's...nanny? Housekeeper? She calls her 'Auntie', but I don't think they're actually related.

: "We tried to stop him and the group of magicians he brought along, but they were too strong. They stormed into the mansion of the Guild and haven't come out since!"

: "Did somebody say...'Henchmen'?!"

: "Borgan has discreed that no one shall enter or leave until he completes his business here."

: "Halt! Who are you?"

Music ~ Lemina's Theme

Yeah, beat it, nerds :c00l:

: "Borgan has discreed that none shall enter, and we are here to enforce that edict! Step back!"

: "I know much more about Vane than you ever will, and I'll find a way to get in."

: "And when I do, I'm going to make sure that you're very, VERY sorry!"

: "Lemina Scouts, huddle up!"

: "If it still works, we can enter Vane behind the backs of these bozos!"

: "If we pull this off, I'll appoint all of you to the Magic Guild's advisory board!"

: "Do we help our friend rescue her mother from evil wizards?"

: "Of course we do! What is wrong with you, Ruby?!"

Alright, let's go gently caress up some evil wizards!

• Locked thread