Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Chokes McGee posted:

It's me, I'm Mystere. Sorry, everyone.

I am Spartacus Mystere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Mystere is the ideal we all aspire to.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Mystereful 101

Episode 48: The Fifth Tower

Last time, we rescued our party from the Chosen's treasonous clutches. Now, we just need to track down Lucia so we can blow this joint.

Oh. Hi, Leo, what's up?

: "Really, dude?"

: "Shush. Leo's midlife crisis is the best thing I've ever seen."

: "Do not worry. I shall not tell anyone that you have escaped. In fact, I believe we must work together to discover what is truly going on here."

: "Our first order of business must be to find Lucia and hear her story. I believe that she is being held within a secret area of the shrine. The entrance can be found in a chamber in these underground passages."

: "We're all friends here. You can drop the pretense."

: "There's never been any sort of disguise!"

: "Regardless, we do not have time for debate! We must get to the secret area of the shrine at once!"

Alright, alright, fair enough. But we all know it's--

Huh. Leo doesn't have the Mystere mask in his inventory. There's no option to drop items, so clearly he must've never had it at all! Who was that masked man?!

Anyway, we cleared out the Blue Tower on the way up, so we'll just skip all the backtracking.

The secret passage is behind a statue in a room with only one statue? Gonna need to look this poo poo up on GameFAQs.

Killing to two mobs between us and our goal got Lem a new level and a new spell! Erase Magic pretty much clears up buffs/debuffs, I think? I didn't have a chance to refresh my memory because we're basically done with combat here in Pentagulia.

The statue splits in half to reveal a secret door. Is that sacrilegious to Lunarites? Seems like Catholics would be offended by a door opened by snapping a crucifix in half, but what do I know?

Music ~ Behind Pentagulia

Have I mentioned how much I dig the Pentagulia music? Because it's pretty great.

It's like Game Arts mixed up files with Konami and now there's some Castlevania game out there with JRPG music.

!!!

: "Your cells do..."

: "I...!"

: "Wait, what?"

: "Oh, my bad, that's the wrong script. Sorry."

: "Hahaha, oh, I like her."

: "Shut up, Legolas."

: "Served by the Four Heroes who rule the four dragons, and the mighty Dragonmaster, I fight evil... Isn't this the very form of the legendary Goddess Althena?"

Wasn't it built as a big seal for something? If it's not caging ZOPHAR, then what is it hiding?

: "The day draws near when the true objective of The Chosen shall be attained. And Ghaleon's return from the past was just the beginning..."

We never get a name for Fake Althena. She just gets referred to as the False Goddess or some variation of that by everyone. Based on this exchange, I've always assumed her real name is Debbie.

Her taunting finished, Debbie teleports away.

: "Well, this balcony's only like 5 feet off the ground, so..."

: "We are in the same room. Let's just jump it!"

: "I found one! It called 'over this railing'!"

: "Why do I even bother."

Heading north, we find ourselves back in the audience chamber.

Let's scope out backstage.

Dang, Debbie's chambers are pretty swanky. Is that a fuckin' golden cabinet?

I'm not sure if this is a diary or some weird Chosen prayer book, but let's read it.

: Turn your ears inward and listen to the voice of your soul. Hear the secret wish of your heart. Dedicate yourself without reserve or love of self. That is your wish, that is my wish. Follow that way and find your true form.

Weird. Let's bail.

HELL YEAH :rock:

Please read all these guys' dialogue in your best Nathan Explosion voice.

It feels like there should be something in this ominous cupboard, but there's not :(

Let's see what's shaking in the taunting chamber.

Video ~ Gabbin' with Ghaleon MANDATORY VIEWING

Welp, Leo's off to get, at the very least, a stern talking-to from Upper Management, but Ghaleon's gone, so let's go rescue Lucia!

Hiro gets her down with a quick hop.

: "I know? I was there when we met her, remember? When you said she was a fake and shot lasers at her?"

: "Lucia tried to kill the not-Goddess?!"

: "Yeah. It was like the first thing she did when she figured it out."

: "That's so cool. I'm so proud!"

Lucia is so revved up to save the world, she just takes off on her own.

: "Alright, chumps, you heard the lady. We're gonna bust God out of jail, and kill any sons-of-bitches that get in our way."

: "Let's fuckin' do this!!!"

The southern exit turns out to be another secret passage, this time back to the lobby of the central cathedral.

: "Probably through that door, Hawkeye."

: "Ghaleon said something about the secret of the five towers or something..."

: "But I only counted four towers, White, Blue, Red, and Black."

: "Maybe Lucia is going to look for the hidden fifth tower, then?"

: "I don't know what that girl's up to, but we'd better find her fast."

Lucia's quiet prayers are answered by brief flashes of brilliant light.

A lake? Isn't this whole city suspended above the ocean? Or is it a lake? How big does a lake have to be before it's an ocean?

: "It all makes perfect sense. The fifth tower lies at the intersection of the four. Do not let what you think you see deceive you. The final tower of Pentagulia is here."

Lucia blows up the railing...

...and jumps.

: "I'm going after her."

: "WHAT?!"

: "She's my friend and I trust her and I'm frickin' going after her, dangit!"

: "Atta boy, kiddo! It's time to be big, goddamn heroes!"

: "I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ronfar's right."

: "I swore to destroy evil where ever it appears, and I'm not gonna back out because of a little water!"

: "I forgot that I lost my magic carpet! SHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-"

: "Welp. In for a silver, in for a pound, I guess!"

Music ~ Goddess of Lies

THUD

: "Aw jeeze!"

THUD THUD THUD

: "This water is much harder than I thought it was gonna be!"

: "Yeeeeah, a nose dive was probably a bad idea in retrospect."

: "Well, thank gently caress for healing spells. Who needs a litany?"

: "Yeah! Where did the lake go that was here just a minute ago?"

: "The lake was an illusion to hide the tower from human eyes."

: "This tower is the place I have sought since I arrived here."

Well, that was easier than I expected.

Wait a minute.

What the hell? Why can't I walk up to the door?

The bad guys are using invisible walls against us?! Dear God, if they figure out event scripting, they'll be unstoppable!

: "I did not think it was possible to create a force field strong enough to contain Althena."

ZORT

: "I used the Dragons' power to keep the purity of this place from escaping into the world."

: "Isn't it ironic that the seal was created by the very power that Althena used for protection?"

: "But I must admit that I did not create this seal for ZOPHAR on my own."

Mauri and Borgon teleport in all bad-rear end, and Lunn just walks up, like jfc dude, multi-class yourself.

: "Behold! Three DIFFERENT ways to transliterate laughter!"

: "Uh...are you guys gonna kill us or...?"

: "Yes! We're going to kill you, just...Ghaleon! That was your cue!"

Music ~ Golden Voice

Suddenly, the brilliant light returns.

*BAMF*

: "Whatever it was, I bet it was Borgan's fault!"

: "What? But I--"

: "Perhaps if our foes were a bag of porkrinds, you would have not allowed them to slip away so easily."

: "But I didn't even--"

: "Plus, you smell."

: "Yes! Borgan the Black DOES smell!"

: "It appears you have been, to use a colloquialism, dunked upon, Goddess."

Music ~ ZOPHAR's Theme

Video ~ Hell Chats

: "Use what's left of your head. It is not necessary to roam the land chasing Lucia and her ragtag party of misfits. They will return to this very spot of their own free will. "

: "...but I'm certain that Lucia will try to free the Four Dragons you have sealed to save Althena. She must..."

: "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!"

: "Honestly, Mr. 'Magic Emperor', have you forgot how to be a super villain already"?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Didn't notice Ghaleon looks down when his back is showing.

The sense of proportion is amazing for this series.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The thing I love about Ghaleon, especially in this version of the game, is how contemptuous he is of everyone he works with. I like to think he's just thinking the whole time, "when I was a world conquering supervillain I wouldn't have done it that way..." He just got demoted to middle management and he's pissed about it. (Or demoted to dragon if we must use that terminology)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Well, at least Jean got to jump A railing. Er, after Lucia blew it the gently caress up.

Borgan the Black smells so much that I can smell it from in my computer. Even the internet is not enough to filter that horror.

Anyway, love the record amount of unique dialog. Keep up the good and hilarious work!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Bufuman posted:

Well, at least Jean got to jump A railing. Er, after Lucia blew it the gently caress up.

Borgan the Black smells so much that I can smell it from in my computer. Even the internet is not enough to filter that horror.

Oh come on now, nobody can resist that much man!

Awwwwh yeaaaaah.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I love how each of the characters have unqiue jumping sprites that are only used like one time in teh game. Ron strikes a pose, Jean jumps like a pro, and Lemina jumps with her eyes closed.

quote:

The thing I love about Ghaleon, especially in this version of the game, is how contemptuous he is of everyone he works with. I like to think he's just thinking the whole time, "when I was a world conquering supervillain I wouldn't have done it that way..." He just got demoted to middle management and he's pissed about it. (Or demoted to dragon if we must use that terminology)

Ghaleon's already done this poo poo before man. He knows what's up. If it were up to him, he'd roll out MULTIPLE mini-Grinderies along with the main one and Althena's Fortress to make everyone submit to him instead of pissing around with some evil not-Catholic religion to brainwash the masses (which isn't really that effective, if the NPCs and the main character's reactions to it say anything). Also, I'm sure he'd put Lucia in BDSM gear because why not?

Basically, Ghaleon is a pro evil overlord that knows brute-forcing your way with fortresses and evil singing powers from anime girls is how you do it while Zophar is a scrub that thinks that slowly brainwashing everyone is the key.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Leo's ears twitch! I'd never noticed that before. How had I never noticed that before?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Picayune posted:

Leo's ears twitch! I'd never noticed that before. How had I never noticed that before?

They twitch whenever they sense injustice.

And I really don't like Ghaleon's voice. Before I heard it I thought he'd be deeper voiced, suave. All I can think of when I hear him is sneering crony.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I like how Ghaleon sounds so sarcastic when talking to Zophar. You can practically hear the eye roll.

Yeah, I get that they'll be coming back here, dummy. But they'll be doing it after releasing the imprisoned dragon guys. That'd kinda be a bad thing, wouldn't you think?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They twitch whenever they sense injustice.

And I really don't like Ghaleon's voice. Before I heard it I thought he'd be deeper voiced, suave. All I can think of when I hear him is sneering crony.
I think it suits him, really. When you get right down to it, he's really just a magic nerd who crushed on and stalked this one celebrity and eventually got kicked in the balls for it. Just, you know, kinda scaled up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Ghaleon needs to interrupt more bad lines with laughter.

"but the power of humans-"
"ahahahahahah really? Really?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Before I read down from here, I assumed he was just upset that he forgot his lines. The fact he put everyone on hold while he took a phone call from Satan makes it even better :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Urgh. I know it's been said a bunch already, but Lucia's voice actress is so, so awful.

quote:

: "Whatever it was, I bet it was Borgan's fault!"

: "What? But I--"

: "Perhaps if our foes were a bag of porkrinds, you would have not allowed them to slip away so easily."

: "But I didn't even--"

: "Plus, you smell."

: "Yes! Borgan the Black DOES smell!"

:golfclap:

Haha, I can imagine exactly how this would sound. You have Lunn's voice down perfectly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Well, I guess the seal on the power of the dragons broke just enough to let the wings work?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Urgh. I know it's been said a bunch already, but Lucia's voice actress is so, so awful.

I've found it slowly grows on you. By the time I reached the end of the game, it was acceptable.

quote:

I think it suits him, really. When you get right down to it, he's really just a magic nerd who crushed on and stalked this one celebrity and eventually got kicked in the balls for it. Just, you know, kinda scaled up.

I took Ghaleon as the type of dork that was naturally hosed in the head and something was eventually going to set him off. A manga series tries to portray him as having issues about his family and being the last of the bishie elf men that eventually put him on the road to being evil, but gently caress that tragic poo poo; Ghaleon's too smugly evil to have a tragic family backstory.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I kinda like Lucia's robot monotone. It fits her backstory and personality pretty well.

I do wish that there had been a boss battle against Borgan or Lunn or all three of the second-tier henchmen. This whole section has just been cutscene after cutscene without a chance to do anything rad. Then again, this does kinda feel like the Empire Strikes Back section of the game.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Somewhere there's a pilot for a Mystere TV show with Ghaleon as the villain.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

CaptainScraps posted:

Somewhere there's a pilot for a Mystere TV show with Ghaleon as the villain.

The only question would be who plays the brainy conservative to his wacky liberal. I vote Lucia. And Lunn would be the police chief that keeps telling them off.

: "You two are out of order! We are supposed to kung fu the monsters, not become them! If you continue in this foolishness, I will be taking your badges!"

: "You cannot take the badge of JUSTICE ITSELF!"

: "While I will continue to fight crime and those that commit it, I would appreciate your being more cautious. I am to retire in approximately 3,873 years."

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

The worlds most lovably psychotic leprechaun.
I am liking this LP so far. Sadly I look at this game and feel too old now to appreciate it the way I did Silver Star Story when I got that game in Junior High.

Plus I'm a lot like Jean in the last update that I can't actually watch a lot of anime or JRPG things without calling out contrived obstacles or bad decisions made by the PC's in my head that make me feel less for the characters.

It's less so in THIS game in particular, but many other JRPG's create a serious disconnect between character intelligence or abilities and what they actually do.

That said, this LP is fun and clearly from somebody who has affection for the game/series. This is good as a chaser after reading through an LP by somebody who'd like to gently caress the creators with a shotgun (Most of Dark Id's work, but more recently Nine Gear Crow and the white knight chronicles)

Keep up the good work! It's good to have a relative soul cleanse once in awhile.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

If you want a JRPG that has none of that gap, try Radiant Historia. The main character is so competent it hurts.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know why it just clicked in my head but "Penta"gulia. How did I not expect there to be a fifth tower when I played?

Mootiman
May 9, 2005

closeted republican posted:

I took Ghaleon as the type of dork that was naturally hosed in the head and something was eventually going to set him off. A manga series tries to portray him as having issues about his family and being the last of the bishie elf men that eventually put him on the road to being evil, but gently caress that tragic poo poo; Ghaleon's too smugly evil to have a tragic family backstory.

It has been a looong time since I played Lunar on the Sega CD, but I thought Ghaleon's main motivation was just that the system Althena had set up was deeply hosed up in the sense that the Black Dragon going bonkers necessitated that his best friend Dyne had to sacrifice his magic to contain. Ghaleon respected magical ability above everything else and fact that the only person to ever be his equal (or even be better) than him had to lose the only thing that made him special because the goddess was AWOL or pooping herself as a human baby at the time just sent him over the edge. That half of the world has to be dark because Althena's light doesn't shine there and everything is lovely was the icing on the cake and so he just decided to grind it all down and set up a system that made sense - where people like Dyne wouldn't have to live the rest of their lives as shadows compared to what they were. This might have been my childhood mind making a better character out of him though.

I always thought Lucia gets the kind of naive Disney princess thing fine. I didn't know she had such a backlash.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mootiman posted:

It has been a looong time since I played Lunar on the Sega CD, but I thought Ghaleon's main motivation was just that the system Althena had set up was deeply hosed up in the sense that the Black Dragon going bonkers necessitated that his best friend Dyne had to sacrifice his magic to contain. Ghaleon respected magical ability above everything else and fact that the only person to ever be his equal (or even be better) than him had to lose the only thing that made him special because the goddess was AWOL or pooping herself as a human baby at the time just sent him over the edge. That half of the world has to be dark because Althena's light doesn't shine there and everything is lovely was the icing on the cake and so he just decided to grind it all down and set up a system that made sense - where people like Dyne wouldn't have to live the rest of their lives as shadows compared to what they were. This might have been my childhood mind making a better character out of him though.

I always thought Lucia gets the kind of naive Disney princess thing fine. I didn't know she had such a backlash.

IIRC, based on the manga and bits and pieces from TSS and SSSC, his background story is basically "dude from Vile Tribe splinter becomes a priest, becomes friends with Dyne, gets into wacky adventures, then feels slighted by something Althena has done". His actions are basically a giant crisis of faith over him thinking Althena is a lazy loser or Althena giving up on being a goddess. However, if you're having a crisis of faith, your first reaction shouldn't be "take over the world" and "build a murdertank in a desert/moon-land". You have to be pretty hosed in the head to think that "The local incompetent deity made my BFF do her dirty work and lose his magic power is a giant rear end in a top hat!" or "The local incompetent deity gave up her powers because she trusts people more than herself! What a dick!" means "It's time to rule the world with a murdertank that takes draining an entire lake to move a little bit!" or "Time to rule the world in Lunar's version of Noah's Ark!".

Also, people that aren't horribly hosed in the head don't pose with teenage girls like this. Seriously, what the gently caress man.

I dunno about TSS, but SSSC makes it clear that he doesn't really give a poo poo about the Vile Tribe's plight and is only using them for free labor to build the Grindery. The stripper girls are just extra muscle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't know why it just clicked in my head but "Penta"gulia. How did I not expect there to be a fifth tower when I played?
:downs: Durr. Now I feel retarded.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Mootiman posted:

Stuff about Ghaleon.

More stuff about Ghaleon.

Pretty much accurate here, yes. In Lunar: The Silver Star Ghaleon goes grimdark and batshit because the Goddess was using his equal and best friend, Dyne, as an assassin to clean up her messes and it, as far as Ghaleon knew, killed him. Everything was the Goddess' fault etc etc. I made a longass effort post in the cowardly megathread I made in the Imp Zone regarding the whole thing which I'm not reposting here.

In Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete Ghaleon's reasons for going Badguy are much less justified. It largely becomes the stereotypical "I am mad at the world and God and so I shall become God!" JRPG villain. Basically, what Closeted Republican is saying in his post.

It's important for me to emphasize that, while in the original game Ghaleon really only shows up to mock Alex maybe three times and he, at no point, has Alex's blue-haired anime waifu clutched waifishly to his side like a creepo*. In the remake Ghaleon spends quite a bit more time flaunting Luna about like a prize and being stereotypically and pointlessly evil. He shows up to gloat and laugh maniacally a good 10+ times for no plot significant reason that I can discern.

*She did still show up in that dominatrix outfit though...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jenner posted:

Pretty much accurate here, yes. In Lunar: The Silver Star Ghaleon goes grimdark and batshit because the Goddess was using his equal and best friend, Dyne, as an assassin to clean up her messes and it, as far as Ghaleon knew, killed him. Everything was the Goddess' fault etc etc. I made a longass effort post in the cowardly megathread I made in the Imp Zone regarding the whole thing which I'm not reposting here.

In Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete Ghaleon's reasons for going Badguy are much less justified. It largely becomes the stereotypical "I am mad at the world and God and so I shall become God!" JRPG villain. Basically, what Closeted Republican is saying in his post.

It's important for me to emphasize that, while in the original game Ghaleon really only shows up to mock Alex maybe three times and he, at no point, has Alex's blue-haired anime waifu clutched waifishly to his side like a creepo*. In the remake Ghaleon spends quite a bit more time flaunting Luna about like a prize and being stereotypically and pointlessly evil. He shows up to gloat and laugh maniacally a good 10+ times for no plot significant reason that I can discern.

*She did still show up in that dominatrix outfit though...

I thought SSSC Ghaleon managed to do a better job at being a slimy evil overlord. He enjoyed being evil and loved letting Alex and co. know all about it. Popping up just to laugh at Alex, holding his anime girlfriend like a creep, casually riding away on a dragon even though that's what Alex is supposed to do instead; he knew all the ways to be a proper bad guy.

TSS Ghaleon kinda understood, but he made a few big mistakes, like revealing how he should take over the world right before meeting Quark again and not squeezing in enough moments to taunt Alex. His love for slavery was really excessive and is a pretty big bad guy rookie mistake.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Jenner posted:

I made a longass effort post in the cowardly megathread I made in the Imp Zone regarding the whole thing which I'm not reposting here.

I read this and a few posts down, and I must ask, what's wrong with Dragon Song?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I read this and a few posts down, and I must ask, what's wrong with Dragon Song?

The better question is: what's right about Dragon Song?

...it doesn't plagiarize any art assets?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

You lose health for running, and your walk is slow as poo poo. Pretty much all I needed to see before taking it back to the store.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You can either get experience, or you can get cash from fights.

It's bad in some bafflingly unique ways.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

A better question is what isn't wrong with Dragon Song? The answer: I have no idea. I dropped it after five minutes.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I also hear that you don't get to choose which enemies your characters target for attacks. I don't care what kind of reasons were behind that decision, it's still quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Here's why DS sucks rear end:

*You LOSE HEALTH if you run. Once you've lost a certain amount of health, you can no longer run until you use a healing item.

*At the end of a battle, you can only get XP or items, not both. You must select the reward you want beforehand.

*Enemies do not drop money. Instead, you're expected to grab items from enemies, then deliver them to random assholes to make a decent amount of cash. Basically, you have to go on a fetch quest to buy something as simple as a potion. You could straight up sell the items to random vendors, but you get less money that way.

*You cannot select what target you want to hit. loving FF1 lets you do this.

*Enemy animations take forever. Even with the speed-up option added, it's going to take a long time for a single battle to finish. You could probably go from one end to another of Fallout 3 or New Vegas' worlds in the time it takes you to complete a long dungeon if you don't use the speed-up function.

*The plot is a lovely rehash of SSSC that feels completely pointless and in no way factors into what happens in SSSC and EBC.

*In a hilarious example of them simply just not giving a poo poo, the main romantic interest is, I kid you not, called Lucia, just like the one in EB. The devs claim that it's an accident and that EB Lucia and DS Lucia's names are spelled differently enough in Japanese that they didn't recognize it, but after seeing the actual Japanese, I think they're full of it.

*You do not fight the evil mastermind. You defeat his monstrous bodyguard as a final boss. When you confront him, he says "gently caress this" and jumps off of his tower of doom.

*The dialogue is stale as hell. A single conversation between Ronfar and Ruby has more personality than DS' script put together.

*The character design is really boring and phoned-in. One particular offender is the main bad guy, who's Ghaleon without any of the smugness or bishiness that made him who he is.

*The characters themselves are annoying and barely say anything, even to each other. The only characters that actually have personalities are the main character, who's a hotheaded prick that needs a punch to the face, and Lucia, who's personality consists entirely of Luna's nagging without anything else. Chats between NPCS and your characters, which are uncommon in SSSC and EB/EBC, never happen in DS.

*The game takes a giant poo poo on the previous game's setting with dumb crap like Beastmen ruling the world instead of humans.

In conclusion, the game is pure poo poo. The only way the game would be redeemable is if the end had Alex and EB Lucia suddenly appear and shank their DS counterparts, then have Nash blow himself up with C4 attached to his robe to kill the other characters and have the game delete itself right after.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Lunar is basically a series that didn't really survive the transition out of the 16-bit era and should really be considered as stuck in it, despite the PSX ports. Everything that has come after has been awful.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Lunar is basically a series that didn't really survive the transition out of the 16-bit era and should really be considered as stuck in it, despite the PSX ports. Everything that has come after has been awful.

Lunar 2 is one of my favorite games, but even I have to admit the series died after the PSX era. Game Arts got pre-occupied with Grandia (not that's a bad thing) and Studio Alex was killed over a stupid lawsuit. Dragon Song is a joke of a game and pretty much murdered the franchise. The only thing that's left of it are endless versions of SSSC that apparently sell like poo poo (at least in Japan, which is where sales Only Matter). Plus, Game Arts is now a division of a third-rate MMO company, so fat chance you'll ever see something original from them again.

Really, I think the best thing for the franchise at this point would be to put SSSC and EBC on PSN and Steam and let the franchise die in peace via word of mouth, nostalgia purchases, and Steam sales. Maybe give EB a SSH-style remake just to top off the franchise once and for all, but that's it. If they're feeling generous, they could pay some manga artist or a novel writer to finally make the Four Heroes story idea that's been floating around since TSS' development.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

...make the Four Heroes story idea that's been floating around since TSS' development.

That was and always has been an April Fools day joke that was entirely fabricated by the fan site Lunar-Net[source]. As far as I know, there were never any plans to make that game among Game Arts, Studio Alex, or Working Designs. (for better or worse.)

I want the Mystere Gaiden game we're all dreaming of.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It'd be a shame if this LP died before the Kung-Fu Gypsy rescued children from becoming assassins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
It's because you didn't personally vote this thread a 5, you monster.

• Locked thread