Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Well, Leo is a man of honor and JUSTICE, so we can count him out. There appears to be some mind-control or something going on with Mauri, and while that may be a ruse, we'll go ahead and count her out of the running for now, too.

Which leaves Borgan and Lunn. As terrible as Borgan is, Lunn's whole kidnapping children and raising an army of child soldiers is especially heinous, not to mention the implied torture as part of the cult's training. Lunn definitely seems the more monstrous of the two, and honestly his turning over a new leave speech kinda bothers me. Not the act itself, it's a good story beat and redemption is one of the game's main themes, just how quickly it happens. Like maybe he could've greeted his defeat with outrage and impotent fury, but Jean spares him because Blue Dragon Fist, and we encounter Lunn again later, maybe see him actually helping people, even taking out his former lieutenants or something. THEN he could give his speech about being wrong, and it would've felt a little more earned. But, as it is, it's fine, just a little abrupt. Still, this is a game about pure hearted heroes saving the world from cartoon super-villians, so I don't sweat it too much.

Getting back to your question, Lunn's more evil, but since all of Borgan's actions seem to be driven purely by spite and a bruised ego, the fat wizard is easily the biggest rear end in a top hat.

In all senses of the words biggest and rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Borgan is the proof that one persn can be at the same time a fatass, a smartass and a dumbass.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Borgan is the proof that one persn can be at the same time a fatass, a smartass and a dumbass.

Borgan's rear end is talented. It's full of sass thanks to all its mass, but sadly it's quite crass, due to lack of class. I could go on, but I'll pass.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I'd rather not think about Borgan's rear end more than I'd have to, thank you.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
/\/\/\

:corrupt:

PS I'm glad someone gave you that avatar, you earned it! I'd been looking for a way to make it fit and work for awhile.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
:) Well, I think it would be a good day to come in and check one of my favorite LP's

Wonder what today's posts :stonk: OH DEAR GOD THE HORROR!!!

:cry:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 29, 2014

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

mauman posted:

Wonder what today's posts :stonk: OH DEAR GOD THE HORROR!!!

:cry:

Can't...claw eyes out...fast enough...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Update will be late this week due to holidays and also there was a Steam sale and uhhh...

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Update will be late this week due to holidays and also there was a Steam sale and uhhh...

Whoa, what game is that?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Wait Jean has the blade, Hiro the blunt weapon, and Ronfar the throwing stars? That is blatantly incorrect sir.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pieuvre posted:

Whoa, what game is that?

Legends of Grimrock 2.

Camel Pimp posted:

Wait Jean has the blade, Hiro the blunt weapon, and Ronfar the throwing stars? That is blatantly incorrect sir.

They took the martial arts skills out of the sequel, so Jean has to settle for light weapons. And Ronnie doesn't have the skill to use melee weapons from the back row yet! At least Lemina is putting all her skill points into fire magic, aka The Best Magic :colbert:

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Legends of Grimrock 2.

Hey, thanks! Still loving this LP, by the way, and glad you're back.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 57: Wizards of Wide-verly Place

Alright, let's head into the teleporter and onto to Neo-Vane!

This place is pretty fancy. Ominous, but fancy. Nothing to do out here though, so let's head inside.

Oh poo poo, Customs

Well, we've all got MP, so we're probably fine.

: "Anyone else getting a bad feeling about this?"

: "Ugh, Hiro, you're embarrassing me. It's like you've never had every fiber of your fragile being flooded with the unspeakable energies of the cosmos before."

: "Oh. Uh, just a heads up, you guys might want to wash the cosmos after this."

ZAP

ZORT

: "Please, no talking in the Refuse Chamber, thank you very much."

: "Wait a minute, Ronfar, why are you in here? You cast spells all the time!"

: "Technically, Cleric spells are separate from Mage spells. There's some crossover with Druids, but not with Mages. I mean, I guess I could multiclass, but then I'd have to level as a wizard for a while and it's just a whole hassle."

: "What about you? How are you summoning killer bees when you dance if not by magic?"

: "I actually just carry jars of bees around in my pockets. The dancing is just a distraction while I throw 'em at dudes."

: "Slick."

: "What."

: "Oh, sonofabitch..."

: "If our friends are deceased, I suspect we will be inflicting many degrees of violence upon you."

: "Also, we'll kick your butt!"

In the distance, a pair of voices can be heard shouting barely audible profanities.

: "Hooray."

Before you ask, no, the game does not allow you to fight the Gatekeeper Lady.

Even though she really has it coming.

Welcome to Neo-Vane. After scouring the internet, I couldn't find the music that plays here, feel free to sub in whatever ominous music you like.

Unless you can do some crazy backwards talk or throw in some Ayn Rand quotes, I don't think people are gonna be too scared of you.

: "No, we're special because we have character portraits!"

So far, two of the Four Heroes have been really into child suffering. Why are all these dudes running around stealing kids? Is Mauri gonna be chillin' out in the mines from Temple of Doom at this rate?

Honestly, the surface isn't all that pretty either. Kinda drab and Gothic. I've seen Gameboy games with a more varied color palette than this joint.

: "Then what are Ronfar's healing litanies? And these dragon spells we've been picking up?"

: "More accurately, it is impossible for a human to have this specific power of levitating cities, which belongs to Althena. Also, please stop talking."

: "I toasted his butt with the new magic spell I learned yesterday. He keeps saying he'll make me pay for what I did. Yeah, sure! Keep dreaming, dummy!"

: "What if, instead of using magic, he just like kicks you in the face?"

: "Ahaha...hehe...hmm."

: "How, exactly, are you planning on doing that?"

: "So far? Mostly we just kinda throw garbage and stuff down at them."

I don't know if stealing every ring in sight will help prevent a wedding, but it can't hurt!

Harsh

Don't worry, kid. That fat guy is much weaker in this version of the game, so we'll have your sister back in a jiffy.

I wonder what's for sale in the Ultimate Gated Community.

So this is the item shop and waitaminute

treasure

False alarm, it's just some dude's weed stash.

This shop is actually pretty notable since they sell Star Lights. They're expensive, but we won't worry about that for uh...reasons. Ahem, they also sell the Magic Eye Crest, which boosts a character's Wisdom. Lemina can get some solid mileage out of that, so we pick it up, too.

Borgan says "Human emotions? That sounds like plebeian talk, citizen."

So, this is the weapon and armor shop and hey

How you doin'?

That's what I'm talkin' about!

The armor shop has a whole selection of upgrades for Hiro and Lemina. The Wisdom Robe is easily the most important thing here, since it boosts Lem's defense AND offense. If you can only afford one thing, make it that one.

Oddly enough, the weapon shop in a city of mages doesn't have a single magic staff to be found. The sword's nice, though.

Honestly, Vane is looking pretty good for a place that got blasted by a mega-laser and then fell out of the sky in the last game. It's impressive the place is more that just a crater, frankly.

: "Where on the Blue Star is this garden you speak of? Was it beneath all the unrelenting snow? Beyond the weathered and lifeless mountains? Or are you referring to the cold stone passageways in which I slept? The ones with naught but silent sentinels and endless corridors of darkness?"

: "Uh...what?"

: "You are not a knowledgeable man, and also, you should refrain from speaking ever again."

: "Wow, I've never seen anyone get burned by Lucia before!"

: *sniff* "I'm just...I'm so proud..."

Whatever you say, Irenicus.

Wait, only the very best wizards are allowed in the magic school? What are the rest of these dingeberries doing here, chillin' in the quad?

Gross

Y'know, I've never actually had a pork rind. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever even seen them in a store or anything. All I know about them is that apparently contain pork and are an easy go-to for fat jokes.

Oh, right. Rescue mission.

What? Isn't this place a school? Who locks the front door to the school in the middle of the day in a town that exists purely for said school? Is it a wizard holiday?

Whatever, let's go poke around back and see if we can't find another way in.

Oh, hello there.

Harsh, but not inaccurate. Maybe we can find a way into the Guild through there.

Music ~ Conquering the Cave

Wait a minute, 'Conquering the Cave'? Aw man, this is a dungeon, isn't it. Well, it can't be that bad after those lovely mines. Let's just drop a save and...

What. There's a second one? A second Cave of Trials?! Game Arts, you vile motherfuckers!

Next Time

ANOTHER loving CAVE OF TRIALS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pork Rinds are fried pig skins. Basically like potato chips, but made from pig instead of potato. They're often packaged and sold the same way, you can probably get a bag of them from your local wal-mart, especially if you live in the south. They're an okay snack in moderation but they're really high in sodium content, and despite coming in big bags you should really only be having a few at a time. So, fat jokes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But they have zero carbs brah.
Maximize your gut gains!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So you're down 2 characters (including your healer) and you're forced to use magic in the next part I'm guessing.

In a game that balances magic availability well a forced magic section can be good to teach people like me that using magic outside boss battles is alright. But when magic availability isn't balanced well, it just really sucks.

It's been years since I played this, so I don't remember what's the case here.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Wait, if Jean is carrying around jars of bees in those pockets, where the hell did she keep them in her old super-skimpy outfit?

...scratch that, I probably don't want to know.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bufuman posted:

Wait, if Jean is carrying around jars of bees in those pockets, where the hell did she keep them in her old super-skimpy outfit?

...scratch that, I probably don't want to know.

Bee magazines that she loaded into the fans.
That she kept in the hem of her skirt.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Honestly, this is how that Neo-Vane entrance should have looked.

But maybe that's just me.

Also, it always bugged me that the tester rejects Ronfar and accepts Hiro. I know he has wind magic, but it suuuucks. It's even more weird in the original where you quite likely never put a drat bit of MExp into it, so Hiro's "wind magic" is throwing a boomerang and that's it. Weirdly, in my playthrough of the original, Hiro had the highest base wisdom at this point. After equipment boosts, second highest. (In the original Lemina actually has the worst base wisdom but her robes and staves add a lot to it. I don't know why they did that, other than to make her using a bow even worse of an option.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what is this? We're going into the caves to bring Jean and Ronfar up the back way?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Glazius posted:

So what is this? We're going into the caves to bring Jean and Ronfar up the back way?
We're trying to get into the magic school to find Borgan. Knocking on the front door and saying we're here to deliver a candygram apparently isn't enough to draw him out of hiding.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pork rinds didn't taste like anything I associated pork with.

The test is weird if your crests grant you mage spells. You are a medium level mage, but it doesn't seem to count and you have a bunch of MP:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 58: Gravity Bomb

Welcome back to the Cave of Trials 2.0. While the Cave of Trials is a personal enemy of mine, and I will always hate the annoying gimmick of a dungeon arbitrarily locking off half your arsenal, Neo-Cave of Trials is honestly not that bad.

Sure, we got these giant scorpions that resist all physical attacks.

But both Hiro and Lemina have plenty of magic options to deal with it. One of the reasons Lunar 1's Cave of Trials is such a wall is that it comes so early in the game, and sends you into it with a real offensive-based mage. Alex is largely your dedicated sword-man, and Luna is really a healer with like one attack spell. Also, OG Cave of Trials had a boss, because that's exactly what you want after multiple levels of barely damaging regular mooks.

Neo-Cave, though? No problem at this point.

At worst, it's just boring. Now that I think about it, actual fun and interesting dungeons are kinda rare in JRPGs. I'm tempted to point at the Tales games, but really the appeal there is the dynamic combat system more than the dungeon themselves. Really, it seems like every cool dungeon is surrounded by like a million caves, forests, and literal dungeons.

Oh another Healing Ring. Wait! Chrono Trigger definitely had a pretty high cool dungeon to bad dungeon ratio. But Chrono Trigger is basically a perfect game, so that's a little unfair.

A few more smashed Scorpions later, we find the way forward.

Hey, I know that guy!

: "I know! We weren't even looking for you and it took like 2 minutes!"

: "I believe I can see her further down the corridor."

: "Yup, haven't seen hide nor hair of her."

: "She is waving to us! Hello, Jean!"

: "Absolutely no idea where she could be."

: "I'm a preacher, not a prestidigitator! This place is worse than I had heard."

: "...I'm so sorry, Ronfar."

: "Yeah, well, pathos and all that. Anyway..."

So, we got Ronfar back! And, spoilers, we get Jean back in this very room, too! So why did they bother to split the party, again?

Ah, the old 'get sent to the Principal's office to get out of a group project' gambit. Crafty.

Tragically, we can't help this kid directly. We'll just have to sort this out by beating the poo poo outta Borgan!

Wait, magic is about something other than blowing up a million dudes and gloating among their ashes?

: "Rescue you? From what?"

: "Boredom, mostly."

: "Hey, Jean, now that you're back, do you want to give them the same general hint I just told them 30 seconds ago?"

: "Sure thing!"

The gang's back together now!

Because if he doesn't use slave labor, the other evil overlords will laugh at him!

: "Lem?"

: "Yeah, yeah, I'm on it."

Man, once we sort all this Borgan stuff out, there is gonna be some awkward conversations in Neo-Vane.

: "Does the silver we get off dead monster count?"

: "I suppose it will have to...for now."

Well, with that in mind, let's go beat up Borgan.

So, there's more Trail cave to go through, but there's a whole load of plot stuff to deal with, so I'm just gonna summarize this joint.

There's some new baddies that are resistant to magic but weak to physical, to both try to throw you for a loop and to give Jean something to do.

Clear Ring protects you from Charm but more importantly Mute.

There are a few chests holding Star Lights, which is always nice.

Ronnie gets a new spells that steals HP from all enemies and gives it to the whole party. Significantly less useful than it sounds.

Lemina also gets a new spell that I'll never remember to use.

Finally, we reach the sealed door. Of course, the seal is a flickering graphic, so it's a pain to screenshot.

There it is. Hey, pal, why don't you let our demolitions expert take a crack at this.

ZORT

Wait, I think that dude has something else to say.

Money can wait, let's go dunk a nerd.

Teleporters are basically escalators for wizards.

Oh poo poo, wizard jail.

So poor grades lead to anime Satan worship and unspeakable powers from beyond? Neat.

Well, we do have plenty of Angel Tears, so we can do that if you want, Lem.

There's a Goddess Statue thrown into storage down here, so we can heal up before the inevitable boss battle. Was this statue built down here? Are they portable? How much does divine healing weigh?

: "Anyone else smell corndogs?"

Around this corner Voice Acting awaits!

: "You've seen the fruits of my discipline and tight regulation. Neo-Vane is vastly superior to the original in every way."

: "Once people forget about the old Vane, I will begin a glorious new Magic Guild...right here."

: "Bow before the new premier of the Neo-Vane Magic Guild!"

Cue the music

: "I never realized how important that was...until I saw this disgusting mockery of everything Vane stands for. "

: "I can hardly believe that you would utter such words."

: "Why don't you admit that I've created a utopia here in Neo-Vane? This place has surpassed the ancient Vane in every way. "

:black101:

: "Hey, Lem, you want your insult notebooks back?"

: "Keep 'em, Ronnie. I've got a more literal burn in mind."

Boss Theme!

Acceptable Alternative

Borgan's right about his power being changed. Back in the Sega CD version of Lunar 2, he was a real motherfucker, arguably a tougher boss than even the final fight. Here? Not so much.

As usual, we start things out by throwing out buffs.

Borgan's basic single target attack is a bit of aggressive sprite stretching.

It doesn't do any damage, but it does leech your MP. As long as he doesn't target Lemina or Ronfar with this, you're fine. The Star Lights you found in the cave can get you back in the fight fairly painlessly.

When he holds his staff like so, you should look out. Casting White Dragon Protect here is a pretty good idea.

This is (I assume) Gravity Bomb and it hurts. Well, it's nothing compared to what we've seen the Fiends throw around, but it's Borgan's biggest move. It used to be a lot worse in the old version, but we're playing Eternal Blue Complete :c00l:

His only other attack is this dark explosion move, but it can be mitigated as easily as any other AoE attack. EBC Borgan is a chump, so let's just finish this.

: "One char-broiled porkbutt, comin' up!"

: "How demeaning..."

: "You're fat."

I kinda wish the other two 'Heroes' knew they could use their ill-gotten gains to make flying cities. Imagine if Lunn's tournament took place in the fuckin' sky!

: "We did it, you guys! Another Aura down and the people of Zabak are saved!"

: "We are like a regular problem solving machine!"

: "And I learned a valuable lesson about elitism and judging others."

: "And I broke out of yet another prison! I'm gonna go for the world record."

: "Guys, aren't we forgetting something?"

: GASP

: "Dude, where's my MOM?!"

BONUS MATERIAL

So, sometime ago, it came to my attention that there are vocal versions of some of the songs in this game (if you're the one who posted it, let me know so I can credit you). Like this rendition of Lemina's theme.

Well, it turns out that there's a very special Borgan version, too. So, please enjoy Borgan's Lunar Idol debut

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Crowetron posted:

BONUS MATERIAL

So, sometime ago, it came to my attention that there are vocal versions of some of the songs in this game (if you're the one who posted it, let me know so I can credit you). Like this rendition of Lemina's theme.

Well, it turns out that there's a very special Borgan version, too. So, please enjoy Borgan's Lunar Idol debut

It's mostly character themes that have vocal versions. Animelyrics.com has the whole list of the songs. Heck, the first game has vocal versions, too.

Fun bit, too: go back to the library and read about the alien abduction again. Lucia's reaction changes after a certain point in the game, and if memory serves correctly, you've hit that point.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Crowetron posted:

Well, it turns out that there's a very special Borgan version

nope

nope

nope

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've actually found Shining Litany to be a pretty decent spell. It does a surprisingly decent chunk of damage for the offensively-challenged (but still offensive :haw:) Ronfar. Very handy against large groups, allowing Ronnie to hit everything while keeping the group's health up. It's even fairly useful in boss battles; load as many people as possible with Healing Rings, and throw down Divine Litany at the start of the fight, and all that passive regen plus Shining Litany's draining is almost as effective as casting Tranquil Litany every round. The only downside is the MP cost of 30, even more expensive than Tranquil.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Actually, they're are forgetting something else important. Without Borgan's power, what's keeping Neo-Vane up in the sky?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Episode 58: Gravity Bomb

Grgh. Kkrkk. Kraa.

Crowetron posted:

There's a Goddess Statue thrown into storage down here, so we can heal up before the inevitable boss battle. Was this statue built down here? Are they portable? How much does divine healing weigh?

Fun fact! Not there in the original.

Crowetron posted:

Borgan's right about his power being changed. Back in the Sega CD version of Lunar 2, he was a real motherfucker, arguably a tougher boss than even the final fight. Here? Not so much.

Understatement of the loving century. Now, in the original you have a couple of things you don't have here, namely OG Blue Dragon Vigor and Lemina will already have Magic Shield. Also, I believe Magic Shield works differently in the original? However, in the original the Borgan fight has four targets, three orbs plus himself. Each of those orbs will do a specific thing each turn until they're killed; the one in the front attacks one character, the one on the bottom casts Magic Shield, and the one in the back heals Borgan. You have to take at least one of them down before you can even hit Borgan. Borgan himself actually has very little HP, but with the high defense and his orbs healing and buffing him it's effectively doubled. At least you can steal plenty of MP from this boss.

Oh, and in the original Borgan pretty much Gravity Bombs every other turn. And despite what common sense would tell you, he's faster than most of your characters except Jean, unless you're equipping agility boosting equipment.

Borgan sucks in the original. This, by the way, is how I ended the Sega-CD Borgan fight.

Can't say it's not appropriate.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 10, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

grandalt posted:

Actually, they're are forgetting something else important. Without Borgan's power, what's keeping Neo-Vane up in the sky?

I think they're still okay on that front. Usually a flying city shudders violently before it falls, leaving plenty of time for escapes.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

It's mostly character themes that have vocal versions. Animelyrics.com has the whole list of the songs. Heck, the first game has vocal versions, too.

Fun bit, too: go back to the library and read about the alien abduction again. Lucia's reaction changes after a certain point in the game, and if memory serves correctly, you've hit that point.

A casual glance at YouTube tells me there aren't any songs sung by Lunn about the TRUE SPIRIT OF THE FIST, so I'm gonna have to say Borgan's song is still my favorite.

And I'll swing by Vane next time we have a chance.

Camel Pimp posted:

Borgan sucks in the original. This, by the way, is how I ended the Sega-CD Borgan fight.

Can't say it's not appropriate.

Not gonna lie, when Borgan died faster than Lunn in my runthrough, all I could think was "Camel Pimp is gonna be pissed." I honestly wonder if the change between versions was for balance reasons or simply to make Borgan a huge gently caress-up in every aspect of his life.

grandalt posted:

I'm sure it will be fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

grandalt posted:

Gravity.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Turns out when they said all aspects of life in Neo-Vane revolve around Borgan, they weren't being metaphorical.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Not gonna lie, when Borgan died faster than Lunn in my runthrough, all I could think was "Camel Pimp is gonna be pissed." I honestly wonder if the change between versions was for balance reasons or simply to make Borgan a huge gently caress-up in every aspect of his life.

Not to say that Borgan shouldn't have been toned down, seriously if you haven't played you have no idea how much of a pain in the rear end the original fight was, it perhaps went a little too way in the other direction. You don't know how jarring it was to play this remake and demolish Borgan so quickly.

And I would be pissed, I suppose, but not everything is harder in the original. Some of the later bosses are made a lot easier with OG Blue Dragon Vigor; one of the hardest fights in the remake can be beaten in four turns in the original if you know what you're doing. So I guess that makes up for the Borgan change.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

grandalt posted:

The Black Dragon Aura

W.T. Fits posted:

Turns out when they said all aspects of life in Neo-Vane revolve around Borgan, they weren't being metaphorical.

:golfclap:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You had to grind a ton in the original and since you can build your characters by spending points, they can backfire at some point. Those points are also used to save the game, thereby encouraging more grinding just to keep your progress. Joy!

If Althena's power didn't extend to the Frontier, how were the surviving Vile Tribe generally full of magic that dwarfs those under Althena's protection?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crowetron posted:

I'm sure it will be fine.

oh nooooo nothing turns out fine when you saaaaaaaaaaaay thiiiiiiiiiis

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

You had to grind a ton in the original and since you can build your characters by spending points, they can backfire at some point. Those points are also used to save the game, thereby encouraging more grinding just to keep your progress. Joy!

If Althena's power didn't extend to the Frontier, how were the surviving Vile Tribe generally full of magic that dwarfs those under Althena's protection?

They had to survive on their own magical power, natural selection accounted for the rest?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 59: LeMomna

Last time, we beat Borgan's rear end and got the Black Dragon Aura, but we still haven't actually accomplished what we came here to do in the first place. So, let's get to that.

Napping, beaten to a pulp, what's the difference?

He made her watch him play video games for the internet

:smith:

: "Wait, is he waking up?"

: "That's just the sound of his bones dying."

Well, this place can't be that big, so let's just look around.

Upstairs, it turns out this place is even smaller than I thought.

Here's Borgan's bedroom.

Huh. Fewer empty pizza boxes and mysteriously stained anime figurines than I expected.

Borgan wears footsie pajamas :3:

There's actually a few pairs of pajamas you can find in the game (three, maybe four?), and they are all very poor armor as you would expect. If there's a special thingy you can do with these legendary moon-PJs, I'd like to hear about it.

Not only is Borgan's bedroom optional, it's also the only thing on this floor.

And this room is the only thing on the third floor. Wasn't this joint clearly a mansion from the outside? And supposed to be a school? Where the hell are students of the Neo-Vane Magic Guild supposed to study they're destructive powers? gently caress you, Borgan, you don't know poo poo about education.

Oh, right. Mom time.

: "Oh, how I prayed that you would find me."

: "Mother, you know that I would give my very life to save yours!"

And not a single McRib in the pile. Borgan is really surprising me in this update.

: "Lemina! What have I told you about free things?"

: "'Free means the resale value is all profit!'"

: "That's my girl!"

Suddenly, the entire floating city shakes violently! Behold the carnage of this still image!

: "Y'know, I had honestly forgotten we were airborne."

: "It does get a little confusing when you factor in an underground mine that's not actually underground."

Borgan looking real smug about the impending destruction of everything he ever worked for and also death

: "Of all the people to have a good point, why did it have to be the world's grossest man?"

: "I'm still impressed he was able to walk up here. I mean, we all saw those numbers coming out of his head, right?"

: "...the numbers?"

: "What are you talking about, Ronfar?"

: "Uh...

: "HEY GUYS WE'RE GONNA FALL!"

Ooh, tough decisions, high stakes, forced alliances with the bad guys. This is gettin' good!

Oh, nevermind.

Rather than using the power of the Black Dragon to put Neo-Vane back into the sky, Lucia instead guides the city into a smooth landing.

Well, relatively smooth.

Any landing you can walk away from...

: "I only wanted to create a place where people like myself could learn magic... ...but my dream is forever lost. I don't want to go back to the way I was! I need my power!"

Wow, Borgan is taking this a lot worse than Lunn did. Should we do it? Should we take a human life? Let's ask Mom.

That was just vague enough to make me a little nervous.

: "You...you do?!"

: "I take responsibility for what you tried to do with Neo-Vane. I've never really understood the purpose of the Magic Guild until now. When I looked into a mirror, you were my reflection..."

: "I have the responsibility to help everyone who wants to learn magic...and to use magic to assist people who DON'T want to learn magic. The Magic Guild is necessary for a world like that, a world where everyone is happy."

: "And we are at a crossroads. The Magic Guild of Vane must be rebuilt."

:unsmith:

Yeah, we know. We fuckin' know.

I do like Lemina's character arc. It's sweet without being too saccharine, and well earned. If it wasn't competing with a martial arts death tournament, this would probably be my favorite subplot in the game.

Oh, Lem :allears:

: "There is nothing more for me to tell you. You will bring great honor to the Magic Guild. Hurry and finish your quest so we can rebuild the Magic Guild together."

Nice moments all around. Actually, Borgan has one more bit of dialogue for us.

You're playing a dangerous game there, big guy.

Outside, we find everybody rightfully losing their minds over the change of locale.

For most people, the change means good news!

Other people, i.e. dickholes, are less excited about it.

Lemina said a bad word :ohdear:

School's out forever.

That's two situations where we returned children to their families by beating up an old jerk. I wonder if Mauri is gonna have some sort of child labor scheme just to keep with the theme.

A Muggle's money is as good as anyone else's!

Canonical

Sadly, the sociopathic gatekeeper will escape justice for another day.

Warping back to Zabak, we see everyone is jazzed as hell!

: "Every party needs a Tank!"

Sounds good! But we have a world to save, so we'd better get moving.

: "...or ELSE."

cool poo poo, man

Alright, let's meet that Black Dragon. We had to trudge through two pretty awful dungeons to get here (and had to backtrack back through the worst one), so I'm sure we're almost done here.

All we gotta do is use the key and step through the door to find...

...another dungeon. Cool. Great.

:shepicide:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I sincerely doubt Lemina has the upper-body strength to lift Borgan's anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Huh. Borgan's redemption worked a lot better than in the original. Perhaps it's a translation thing, or the original script conveys it better, but it does better job of portraying Borgan as utterly crushed. He seems almost unrepentant in the original. Or maybe it's the better sprite work. In the original, even after you beat him, Borgan still floats. :effort:

And Lucia goes "a Sophie's choice? Yeah, gently caress you, no" is one of my favorite parts of this game.

• Locked thread