Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 60: Turd Town

Music ~ Conquering the Cave
If I had to listen to it, so do you.

So, the Black Dragon Cave. For many, the Black Dragon Cave is a bit of all a wall. For those that don't struggle here, it's still painfully dull.

Take a good look at this screen shot. You have now seen the entire dungeon. It's just this awful color palette and these repeated floor tiles for like 4 levels. And remember, enemies outside of combat are just grey sprites. Aside from the occasional treasure chest, this place is practically monochrome.

None of the Dragon Caves are super interesting, but at least they had something to look at. The Blue Dragon Cave was a pretty coastal cavern, and the White Dragon Cave at least had a color scheme where the enemies popped out.

Speaking of enemies, we got some Zombies. Zombs are resistant to magic damage but are highly weak to physical attacks. They are also annoyingly fast, so expect to take some damage.

We also have Webheads and Soul Yankers(?), which kind of fit the magic theme of this chapter. Webheads are strong against physical damage, but weak to magic and the Yankers are hardly worth mentioning.

At least levels come quick in this chapter. Cryo-shield just buffs the targets defense more than the old version.

Given the hoards of undead lurking in this cave, our shiny new staff is largely useless for a while yet.

So far, no real trouble. So why do so many players get stuck here?

I'd wager it's this guy's fault. This is a Chaos Fiend (the menu covers most of his sprite), and he is a motherfucker. They are fast enough to get off at least one attack, and as far as I can tell, they only HAVE one attack.

And it blasts the entire party for triple digit damage. Combine this with the out-of-place fast zombies dishing out cheap shots and Webheads shrugging off your usual bread and butter tactics, the random encounters down here can really trip you up. And you want to be conservative with your resources, because there is a real doozy of a boss waiting at the end of the cave.

Plus, this place is a massive labyrinth where everything looks the same, so have fun getting lost! At least there's loot!

Can never have too many free revives.

The Force Ring reduces magic damage received by the wielder, so that's not too shabby either. It's not all bad, you guys!

The Star Dagger is interesting.

It's weaker than other weapons, like swords and maces, but it boosts luck slightly and grants an extra attack. Plus, it leeches MP. I like to give it to Ronfar, since the free MP can help him out and having two weaker attacks with a higher chance of crits is better to me than having one mediocre attack.

On the third floor, the Black Dragon Cave introduces a gimmick beyond aggressive ugliness.

Damage floors! This boiling goo damages the party as we cross over it, and we have to in a few cases. It's not too bad, though.

It does make me wonder what the hell that stuff is, though. Hot tar? Black magma? Liquefied Dragon Diamonds?

Hiro grabs a new spell that I forget to actually use! It hits every enemies on screen and does magic damage, so I assume it's pretty good. We'll try it out another time.

Jean also picks up a new technique. Sounds cool, let's try it out!

Oh, it's an AoE centered on Jean. That I totally failed to hit anything with. Uh...anyone want to bail me out, here?

Thanks, Lucia. You're a pal.

: "So, Hiro."

: "Yeah?"

: "We're delving into an ancient cavern, battling beasts from unknown ages and sifting through dirt and grime to find shiny objects."

: "And you do this crap for fun?"

: "Well, usually there's like...stuff to look at."

: "Awesome, I'm fuckin' starvin' over here. Gimme that."

: "Ronnie, are you really going to eat something you found in an old box in a cave that smells like poo gas and is littered with decaying human corpses?"

: "..."

: "Yeah."

: "Ronald, no."

By the way, in this part of the dungeon, you go up a level to walk down an empty corridor to go back down to the previous level.

: "Y'know, I've been thinking..."

: "Kinda busy right now, Ronnie!"

: "Oh, I don't mind. So, about these zombies..."

: "These Dragon Caves have been hidden from the world for decades, right? Maybe longer? So where did all these dead dudes come from?"

: "Obviously, these are 'zombies', they're 'ZAMBIES'. Duh."

: "Saywhatnow?"

: "Zambies. You've never heard of 'em? They look and act like zombies, but they're not reanimated dead people. They're magical creatures created by an ancient cult of poseur necromancers."

: "No. That's not a thing."

: "Omigosh, you don't even know about zambies. No wonder you couldn't pass the Magic Test, that's like Magic History 101."

: "No, it's not. 'Zambies' aren't a thing, shut up."

: "Ronfar! Help! These zambies are all over me!"

: "Stop saying 'Zambie'!"

At long last, we reach the bottom.

that's one big pile of Dragon Diamonds

Handing us this before the toughest boss yet is a small mercy, but a welcome one. We need Lemina in top form for this one.

James Cameron's LUNARS

Music ~ Boss Theme

The Black Fiend is one tough customer. It also looks cool as hell.

First off, if you want to do anything approaching real damage at all, you need to use magic. That means our usual boss strat is right out. Instead, Hiro needs to rely on his crummy boomerang, and Jean is basically just screwed. Ron can help out with Anger Dice, but taking him off healing duty is a risky move. Lemina is basically the MVP here.

But here's the kicker: The Black Fiend knows that.

So it attacks your MP directly! This is the kind of poo poo that only happens in JRPGs. There's no rear end in a top hat sniper in Call of Duty who only shoots ammo clips out of your gun, right?

Here's a shot of the exact moment in the fight when I realized I was in trouble.

The Fiend also has a lightning orb attack that hits everyone within a radius of the target. I assumed it was a screen wide attack, but it turned out I had simply positioned my party in the exact position to get hosed up. I'm pretty good at video games, you guys.

Although the boss is immune to all status effects, Jean's dances still technically do magic damage, so the best way for her to damage in this fight is to bring the bees out of retirement!

Not great, but it's something!

By the way, when the Fiend lowers his head and starts waving it back and forth, brace yourself for hurt.

The dreaded poo gas attack!

The death fart does roughly the same damage as the lightning ball, but it hits everyone every time and can inflict Paralysis. If you're looking for an attack to use White Dragon Protect against, this is deffo the one.

His actual single target attack is the M U R D E R W H E E L

It hurts a lot, and he liked to target Ronfar in my run.

Generally, the Black Fiend is real nightmare for everyone but Lemina. Ron needs to keep the party healed, and Hiro/Jean need to rely on their weaker attacks and supplement Ronnie's damage control with items whenever they aren't paralyzed. Lem, though, she just has to keep throwing out Ice Arrows until those EXP numbers pop up.

Case in point, Lem's the only one without a red number when the Fiend dies.

Everyone gains a level and Ronnie gets Divine Litany which casts Regen on the whole party all at once.

And Lemina gets a party-wide buff. Not bad, all around.

Three Fiends down, one to go. Let's go meet the master of the house.

Music ~ Between Dragons

Where's the bridge? How are we supposed to cross this weird infinite abyss?

Oh. Neat.

All the dragons are so fuzzy :3:

: "I am prepared to serve, but I regret the state of my lair after all this time. It is unworthy of your presence."

: "I do not understand. Do you refer to the Dragon Diamonds?"

: "Yes. I don't know if your mortal companions are aware, but..."

: "Bro, we know."

: "We have noses, after all."

: "Blue always said you were a real bummer."

: "Oh man! I totally forgot about the Destiny! Are we gonna have to walk back through that bomb filled mine to get to it?"

: "I am afraid so, young mortal."

: "Aw crud."

Thanks for the crappiest crest in the game, big guy.

Good question. We've got no real breadcrumbs, so we'll just have to see what we can find.

Anyway, let's take a quick look at our new dragon spell.

The fabric of space time is torn asunder as Lemina conjures a loving BLACK HOLE

The enemies are all sucked into the infinite void of space, doomed to suffocate in an uncaring cold vacuum.

And we get nothing for it. Thanks, Black Dragon!

BONUS

So, wondering what IS up with the Dragon Diamonds? It's explained in Lunar 1, but in the words of Nall's grandpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

So, wondering what IS up with the Dragon Diamonds? It's explained in Lunar 1, but in the words of Nall's grandpa:

If you think turning poo poo into jewelry or whatever they do with'em is bad, just know that bug feces is used for human consumption in the real world! Kids & adults love bug feces on their candy! Yum yum.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
That MP-drain can be blocked by White Dragon Protect, too - but since someone on the programming team was an rear end in a top hat, and decided to give the Black Fiend variable speeds for each attack*, the only way to cast it in time is have your fastest party member equipped with the crest. This is usually Jean. Jean being on "yeah, how about NO?" duty for any boss fight, ever, is generally not a good strategy, but for some reason that one worked for me.

*I'm not exaggerating in the least, turn order of the Black Fiend fight all depends on what attack it's going to do next. It will always go before everyone but Jean when doing the MP-drain.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Crowetron posted:

So it attacks your MP directly! This is the kind of poo poo that only happens in JRPGs. There's no rear end in a top hat sniper in Call of Duty who only shoots ammo clips out of your gun, right?

Don't give them ideas :stonk:

I would say the closest any FPS comes is the mandatory bullshit of "walk into a room, cutscene takes over, cutscene makes your character do something monumentally stupid, enjoy being railroaded into A Bad Situation."

but enemy fire that drains your ammo reserves would be cruel and yet hilarious in a COD, so I dunno. On second thought, maybe I do want to see something like this in a game. Imagine the rage in multiplayer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

but enemy fire that drains your ammo reserves would be cruel and yet hilarious in a COD, so I dunno. On second thought, maybe I do want to see something like this in a game. Imagine the rage in multiplayer.

Man, I would totally play the "support" class whose primary weapon only deals ammo damage. Why heal teammates when you can prevent them from getting hurt in the first place?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Huh. So they took away the one-way slopes you had to jump off of and replaced them with... nothing, basically. Poison swamps, I guess.

So yeah, in the original, their was about three floors of dull looking cave, then you're in this blue-ish green area.

One-way paths are the gimmick there. It was obnoxious as hell, and I see why they took it out. Be nice if they replaced it with something.

And Black Dragon Grief (they call it Black Dragon Shield in the original I don't get it) is just as crap and it costs 99 MP.

EDIT: Oh! And Magic Shield! I don't remember how it works in this version, it's just a flat buff to magic defense, is it? In the original it formed a (very small) barrier around Lemina, and anyone within the barrier had any damage done against them halved. The shield lasts until it breaks, so that means it can go for more than one round, depending on what hits it. It was a really useful spell, if somewhat situational. I'm pretty sure it's totally different in this version, yes?

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 26, 2015

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So yeah. This boss. This it the boss that I could not beat. At all.

So, I said "gently caress IT" and then when it was time for dinner, I put the party on AI. I came back to the loving victory screen. :psyduck:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I couldn't beat the boss either, and my entire party got wiped out besides Lucia.

...who then spent the next hour slowly whittling down the boss by herself. It somehow ended up that it could never quite kill her in one shot, so she's get hit, heal herself, use some attack spell, get hit...and so on. I had no input on this at all. And then eventually she won. Damnest thing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If I remember rightly, Concussion Sword is actually weak but has a decent chance to inflict instant death on something. And since it hits every enemy, it might be worth trying out on bigger groups.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MarsDragon posted:

I couldn't beat the boss either, and my entire party got wiped out besides Lucia.

...who then spent the next hour slowly whittling down the boss by herself. It somehow ended up that it could never quite kill her in one shot, so she's get hit, heal herself, use some attack spell, get hit...and so on. I had no input on this at all. And then eventually she won. Damnest thing.

The boss is not set up right to deal with Lucia at all. It's entire thing is forcing you to use magic attacks against it (all of Lucia's attacks are) and then drain your MP to make it difficult to do that (Lucia has no MP) plus it's forced to use it's MP drain attack every so often giving her a chance to attack between being forced to heal.

So yeah Lucia can totally solo this boss with a little luck since she'll die if she gets critted/doesn't heal herself.
The Black Dragon Cave is really the only painfully low part of the game. Good thing it's over with!

Also I will forever be amused by all of the tasteful Borgan Jokes that are in the guide (it used jokes to fill in some of the white space.) In image format: 'Hiro Loves Lucia. Ronfar Loves Mauri. Borgan Loves Cake.'
They aalso had some sort of con pictures in there of him and Big-Felt-Borgan was apparently a hit with the ladies there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If I remember rightly, Concussion Sword is actually weak but has a decent chance to inflict instant death on something. And since it hits every enemy, it might be worth trying out on bigger groups.

Yeah, but loving everything resists it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I dunno if Crowetron showed this attack off and I just misremember how it looks, but I seem to remember the Black Fiend packing some kind of gravity-orb attack where it sucks your entire party into a single central point, lifts them high, and lets them fall. It does ludicrous damage and the only way to avoid it is to arrange your party into a perfect cross formation (one member in the center and the other four at extreme cardinal directions), because then the orb can't quite suck everyone into the arena's center and fizzles out instead of murdering you.

Fuckin Black Fiend.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

On the plus side, that resistance only applies to the instant death chance. Like Jean's status attacks, damage will always be neutral, so Hiro has an option to hit everything with unresistable damage.

Plus there's at least one enemy in the postgame that Concussion Sword almost always takes out, and it's a pain in the rear end otherwise.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Bufuman posted:

On the plus side, that resistance only applies to the instant death chance. Like Jean's status attacks, damage will always be neutral, so Hiro has an option to hit everything with unresistable damage.

Plus there's at least one enemy in the postgame that Concussion Sword almost always takes out, and it's a pain in the rear end otherwise.

To up its coolness quotient, Hiro's voice clip for it is actually pretty awesome for a change.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Althena's dream for Lucia = "maybe someday she'll be more than BEEP BOOP COMPLETE MISSION"?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Also, I'd like to add that at least Jean is capable of hitting things with Blue Dragon Wave. You might recall in Lunar: SSSC that Kyle had a technique that worked the same way. Except Kyle was also the slowest person on the team, so targetting anything with it was a bitch because enemies were extremely likely to move out of the way before he got it off. The only time I EVER use it is during the first fight playing as him, where he's outnumbered 4-to-1 by monsters that all rush him before he moves and Power Sweep (the move I've been discussing) will kill all of them in one shot.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Psion posted:

quote:

Crowetron posted:

I would say the closest any FPS comes is the mandatory bullshit of "walk into a room, cutscene takes over, cutscene makes your character do something monumentally stupid, enjoy being railroaded into A Bad Situation."

Considering that most US Soldiers store their ammo in unarmored pouches on the front of their body armor, having a shot to the body result in a small chance of making you lose 30-60 rounds of ammunition would seem reasonable. I might have to ask some people I know who've been in Afghanistan and Iraq if that's actually a thing that they've seen happen.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Psion posted:

Anything to make LMGs more viable.

Camel Pimp posted:

EDIT: Oh! And Magic Shield! I don't remember how it works in this version, it's just a flat buff to magic defense, is it? In the original it formed a (very small) barrier around Lemina, and anyone within the barrier had any damage done against them halved. The shield lasts until it breaks, so that means it can go for more than one round, depending on what hits it. It was a really useful spell, if somewhat situational. I'm pretty sure it's totally different in this version, yes?

I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure it's just a numbers boost.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

dis astranagant posted:

That could explain why I didn't remember that spell at all. I'll try to get some use out of it, one way or another.

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno if Crowetron showed this attack off and I just misremember how it looks, but I seem to remember the Black Fiend packing some kind of gravity-orb attack where it sucks your entire party into a single central point, lifts them high, and lets them fall. It does ludicrous damage and the only way to avoid it is to arrange your party into a perfect cross formation (one member in the center and the other four at extreme cardinal directions), because then the orb can't quite suck everyone into the arena's center and fizzles out instead of murdering you.

Fuckin Black Fiend.

Are you thinking of the lightning orb? Maybe I just lucked out and the Fiend didn't use it, but I don't recall that specific move. Borgan and one of the other Fiends (Blue, I think) have an attack that pulls the party together and slams them into the ground, so maybe you're thinking of one of those?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Althena's dream for Lucia = "maybe someday she'll be more than BEEP BOOP COMPLETE MISSION"?

At least one of the other dragons implied that there was something unpleasant in store for Lunar if Lucia completed her mission; this was immediately followed by Lucia going "Dude! Shut up! Not in front of the moon people!"

At least, that's how I read it; I haven't played the game/read any LPs before.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I liked the zambies. Their jaw drops three feet.

I should try out the AI option. It is not like the PSX version of AI will backfire.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
(Combined double-post. Apologies for the crass posting error.)

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 6, 2015

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Psion posted:

The Mass Effect games had a bunch of abilities like this, in forms that varied by individual game. I think the Syndicate FPS reboot had something like that, too.

Galick posted:

So yeah. This boss. This it the boss that I could not beat. At all.

So, I said "gently caress IT" and then when it was time for dinner, I put the party on AI. I came back to the loving victory screen. :psyduck:

Ave machina. :awesomelon:

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 6, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jeedy Jay posted:

Ave machina. :awesomelon:

*something in the background explodes*

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I apologize the delay these last few weeks, I had sealed myself in a bunker with an old typewriter and 14 gallons of an unlabeled green liquid while I attempted to crafted the perfect "Mauri Povich" joke. I have emerged a failure. (also my friend and I started a podcast about video games, but I don't know if it's cool to link that here).

Anyway, I just played a buttload of Lunar 2 so expect an update on Sunday.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Croweton, in the case of Lunar 2, you ARE the LPer!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
No worries, friend, I'll gladly wait for an update.

Partially because the alternative would be doing one myself, and I'm not half the comedic writer you are so I'd probably get banned and/or lynched.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 61: Stepford Animes

Well, having resolved the whole Neo-Vane situation and freed the Black Dragon, looks like it's time to be moving along. We steer the Destiny to the south and just keep on trucking until we reach the next village.

Huh. Well, THAT's clearly not a village, so...

Ah, here we are.

: "Oh yeah! We dealt with Jean's vendetta and my learning experience, so I guess you're up, Ronnie!"

: "That tragic backstory has been hanging over your head for a while now. You must be psyched to finally get to confront it!"

: "Y-yeah...'psyched'."

Do you prefer meat or cheese Raculi?

: "Were you the kid that used to cut folks' lawns so you could chew on blades of grass all day?"

: "..."

: "...yeah."

Alright, let's head on into Ronnie's childhood home!

Hey, it's that guy!

: "Was it VD?"

: "Noice."

: "Jeez, c'mon you guys."

: "Several of our childhood friends died in the epidemic. The town nearly did not recover."

: "Oh. I'm sorry."

: "I stand by my comment."

: "Even though she now is a tortured soul, there is yet hope of curing her. Without the potion, she would be dead at this moment. Ronfar, you have nothing to be ashamed of. You did the best you could."

: "...Leo...I..."

Well, THAT was ominous. Maybe things are a little more cheerful in the town proper.

Uh, okay?

Okay, what the gently caress is going on here?

Sounds like this 'Cleansing' is doing some weird poo poo to people. Sounds like nothing that can't be solved by finding some ancient relic in a basement somewhere.

I think the people of Azado would disagree with you on that one, pal.

Well, a brainwashing crisis is no reason to ignore shopping opportunities.

Crossovers and solid upgrades for everyone! (except Lemina)

Oh, Working Designs :allears: I wonder how many Borat jokes would've been shoved into JRPGs if they continued localizing games into the 2000's. Alas.

:rock:

Welp, your kid has been driven to madness by Devil Music.

Guess he won't be needing this anymore!

: "Oh! I have deduced the outcome of this crisis!"

: "That's great, honey, but let the nameless town guy get there himself."

: "Um...Oh! Wait, no, that wouldn't make any sense. Hmmm..."

: "You're almost there, buddy, you can do it."

: "I believe in your abilities, unimportant human!"

: "Y'know..."

: "He did it!"

: "Let us celebrate!"

: "What are you guys doing?"

: "Oh, I don't like where this is going at all".

: "Yeah, I've...I've heard."

I guess Althena just has it out for you guys.

: "The last catastrophe was a terrible disease that killed almost everyone here. The only person that got the disease and lived to tell about it was Mauri."

Yeah, this random person has a letter from this arc's central character that explains her mental state and is totally missable, why wouldn't he?

: "...gently caress."

: "What's the letter say, Ronfar?"

: "Nothin'. Personal stuff. Don't worry about it."

Nearby, we find Leo revisiting the house he grew up in.

Music ~ Somber Memories

: "What the crud?!"

: "Wha--!? Where would you even get that? Where would ANYONE get that?!"

: "I understand your reaction, but please. We're in the middle of something here."

This sounds encouraging.

: "W...Wait, Leo! Wait!"

Too late, Leo's already set out on his sister stabbing crusade.

: "I'm not Ruby, for gently caress's sake!"

: "Hey, why?"

: "I had anticipated that would be the object earlier! Jean, please slap your palm against mine!"

Alright! Let's go find the thingie and save the day! Nothing can stand in our way!

Oh. Right. We should probably hurry.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is nowhere near the worst NPC dialogue in a JRPG.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Leo's gone after Mauri? Eh, no big deal.

Now, if it were that Mystere guy, then we'd be in a real pickle.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I for one want a link to your vidja gaymz podcast.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Edward_Tohr posted:

Leo's gone after Mauri? Eh, no big deal.

Now, if it were that Mystere guy, then we'd be in a real pickle.
Mystere will save her at the last minute.

The revelation about Zophar's Blood is still amusing. Even some readers were surprised.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I am expressing pride at how well Lucia is imitating the humans! Perhaps afterwards she can "party hard," as the saying here goes.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Please tell me I'm not the only one that hears Hynden Walch's voice for Crowetron's Lucia lines.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

This is nowhere near the worst NPC dialogue in a JRPG.

It's honestly probably in the top ten Best, imo

Scalding Coffee posted:

The revelation about Zophar's Blood is still amusing. Even some readers were surprised.

I do like that they don't really explain any of the how or why of it. I imagine Ronfar got it from a very clearly evil snake-oil salesman and he's too embarrassed to admit it.

Bufuman posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only one that hears Hynden Walch's voice for Crowetron's Lucia lines.

Well, I mentioned before that she's pretty much just Starfire from what I remember of Teen Titans, so I'd hope so!

rotinaj posted:

I for one want a link to your vidja gaymz podcast.

Here ya go, buddy. Our schtick is celebrating the crazy rear end poo poo that happens in video game plots. Again, I'm not super sure of the rules about shameless self promotion, so if this is uncool I'll snip this out.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

Well, I mentioned before that she's pretty much just Starfire from what I remember of Teen Titans, so I'd hope so!

Oh, right, forgot about that.

In my defense, I was also thinking of Nia.

: "So what's with this Zophar guy anyway?"

: "He is a 'pissing off' person!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I too would like to know how the gently caress young Ronfar got hold of the Blood of Zophar. Shady merchant?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stole it out of a liquor cabinet, changed his mind about drinking it when he popped the cork and shrieking souls spewed out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Glazius posted:

...I too would like to know how the gently caress young Ronfar got hold of the Blood of Zophar. Shady merchant?

Probably a member of the Chosen before they became the big thing that they are today.

The big thing with that reveal is that it sort of shows how far back Zophar's been meddling despite being imprisoned. Gives a bit more gravitas to him despite being a back-seat villain so far.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I always felt it was a really morbidly out-of-place detail, ya know? Especially since they never explain it. I mean does Zophar have actual blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Camel Pimp posted:

I always felt it was a really morbidly out-of-place detail, ya know? Especially since they never explain it. I mean does Zophar have actual blood?

Could just be figurative blood, black magic concentrated into liquid form straight from anime satan being called his blood is sensible enough.

• Locked thread