Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I am bad at not submitting to peer pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jenner posted:

This is an art book for Lunar 1 and 2. Has a lot of the scribbles, story boards, character ideas etc. I'll post up some pages later but there are SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. A lot of the stuff in this suggests that originally the characters of this game were meant to be the offspring of the original cast from Lunar: The Silver Star.

This is all really cool (I had no idea there was a fourth Lunar game), but this really interests me. I was just thinking about trying to find some scans from the art book for bonus stuff. If you want to post stuff from it, I'd really appreciate it, and I'll even toss it up in the second post. I mean, be mindful of spoilers, obviously, but I'd love to see the concept art for this game.

I'm gonna add a link to this in the OP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's even a translation patch for the Game Gear version floating around.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Crowetron posted:

(I had no idea there was a fourth Lunar game)

I think you mean third Lunar game :colbert:

(Seriously, gently caress Dragon Song.)

dis astranagant posted:

There's even a translation patch for the Game Gear version floating around.

Really? I'd heard about that, didn't know they finished. Yay!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Jenner posted:

(Seriously, gently caress Dragon Song.)

Oh, man, Dragon Song. I got about ten hours into it before I said 'gently caress this'.

Dragon Song? What is this Dragon Song you speak of? Are you feeling okay, Jenner?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I have played Magic School with the translation patch. The game is... okay. It's not great. It's kind of aimless, plot-wise, and the gameplay is really easy and more Dragon Quest-y than Lunar-y, but some of the characters are fun and it's got some charm. I'll sooner call it a Lunar game than... the other one. There's also some kinda... hosed up moments in it. Nothing really bad or anything, but eye-brow raising.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty much. I put a few hours in and it was just little girls faffing about Vane.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh poo poo, there is an art book.

There you go, LP forum. Making me spend more money on video game crap.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Isn't Dragon Song the game where RUNNING hurts you?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Yes, and you can get either EXP or Money after every random battle, BUT NOT BOTH!

In other news, update later tonight.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Crowetron posted:

Yes, and you can get either EXP or Money after every random battle, BUT NOT BOTH!
OK, now someone has to LP it, it seems hilarious (as long as one doesn't have to play it themselves) :allears:

VVV: Hey, I won't be the one playing :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 1, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Pierzak posted:

OK, now someone has to LP it, it seems hilarious (as long as one doesn't have to play it themselves) :allears:

It's not that funny once you actually play the game... it gets dull very, very quickly.

I actually hear the game gets slightly better towards the end? That's what I hear, but the only way that piece of poo poo could improve to the point where it's worth playing is if you replaced the end game with Final Fantasy 4.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 1, 2013

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

And I thought Skyward Sword's stamina meter was an abomination.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 6: Take Me to Your Leader

Well, it turns out touching random glowing globes in ancient magic towers pays off!

: "You don't think the Destroyer is around here, do you? I don't wanna be eaten by a monster!"

: "Heh, heh! You worry too much, Ruby! And besides, I don't think either of us looks very tasty!"

: "What if it doesn't want to eat us, but kills us anyway just for kicks?"

: "Uh...HEY lookit that over there!"

: "Hey, I wonder if this is what--"

: "Let's poke it."

*BOOM*

: "OOOOHHHHH!"

: "YAAAHH!"

The Plot Arrives

dat crystal goin crazy

A stylish figure appears

: "H-Hiro..."

Space Lady enters the Star Gate.

Sup?

Nothing compliments an entrance like that better than a dainty landing.

I try to show up to all my job interviews like that. It uh...it doesn't work out.

Yeah, that's a pretty typical reaction.

: "I think I'm gonna hurl!"

!!!

Lunar 2 is basically all sweet capes all the time.

: "My name is Lucia. I have come from the Blue Star on an urgent mission."

: "Your world is in grave danger. I must see Althena immediately. Take me to her."

: "Do...do you think she's friendly? She looks like she could be some sort of Goddess or something."

: "What are we going to do, Hiro?"

: "Ruby to Hiro!"

: "She's...the most beautiful girl I've ever seen."

That's an odd thing for a talking pink cat-bird to say.

Ruby then proceeds to smack the poo poo outta Hiro for behaving like the teenage boy he is.

Lucia cares little for this slapstick, and walks right past them.

: "I must find Althena and join with her to fight Zophar."

: "Althena? The Goddess of our world?"

: "That is an incredibly awkward phrasing, but yes, that Althena."

: "Why do you need to find her?"

: "I'm Hiro, and this is Ruby."

: "In the flesh!"

: "You two are residents of this world? You must guide me to Althena. It is urgent that I find her and speak to her."

: "Hiro's an adventurer not a tour guide! And no one knows where Althena is anyway!"

When forced to choose between his faithful feline companion or the pretty lady who appeared out of thin air that he kinda sorta saw naked for a split second, Hiro does what any 17 year old boy would do.

Wassup, Space Lady :heysexy:

: "Hmph! We'll see what Grandpa has to say about this, Hiro!"

: "Ruby, if you mess this up for me, you are going straight into the lake, I swear to Goddess!"

How do we get outta here, anyway?

Oh.

MEANWHILE

Gwyn doesn't know what the gently caress!

Gwyn's gonna have a loving heart attack up in here!

: "You had me beside myself with worry, young man! I've been looking all over for you! Where in tarnation did you go?"

You can almost see the gears slowly turning in his head.

Oh yeah, I guess there's this lady I've never seen before right in front of me. What's up with that?

: "Her name is Lucia. We found her at the top of the Blue Spire, inside a giant green crystal! And guess what, Grandpa! She says she's from the Blue Star!"

: "You're shittin' me."

: "I assure you that I am not 'making GBS threads' anyone."

: "Hiro, we have to get out of here right away!"

: "If Lord Leo discovers her here, we're in big trouble, and so is she. We'll talk later...let's go."

Gwyn's got a point, so let's bail.

Lucia's joined our party, but she's a guest character. She doesn't have any real stats and we can't control her in battle.

We can take a look at her gear, but that's about it. Lucia's as much a party member as Ruby is, really.

Sadly, she doesn't really feel like teleporting us anymore, so we gotta walk all the way back down the Spire.

: "I know, right? Such a drag. But anyway..."

Uh five Crystal Knights? This might take more than a few swings, buddy.

: "Do not interfere!"

Luckily, Lucia has no patience for this random battle nonsense and just nukes the fuckers into next September!

And we get the rewards despite doing nothing for the 10 seconds it took for Lucia to blow those dudes up. Lucia, you are now my favorite :allears:

: "Yeah I saw it. It was cool as heck!"

: "Lucia, how were you able to cast such a powerful spell?"

: "I have no time for questions, Hiro. You must take me to the Goddess Althena, and quickly."

Lu don't give a gently caress what you think, she's got a world to save, bitches!

: "Hey, wait up! Did I offend you? I'm sorry if I did! Lucia? Lucia!"

: "Hiro...I don't think Lucia is human. Her magic is stronger than any I've ever seen. Lord Leo could be right. She could be the Destroyer. But why would she come here?"

My hormones are never wrong!

Yeah, we probably shouldn't let a walking WMD who may or may not be the harbinger of the apocalypse walk around unsupervised. Good thinking, talking cat.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

By the way, this is still backlog stuff, so menu color changes won't happen for another update or so. Still time to vote if you feel strongly about that!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

And thus did Hiro name one of the entries in The Grand List of Roleplaying Cliches.

Though I will give the game credit for admitting that Hiro is probably trusting his hormones over his commmon sense.

GenericFootwear
Nov 4, 2009
Oh my god, how did I miss this thread until now? I loved this game, I was always jealous of people who owned a Sega CD because I really, really wanted to play this game (and it's prequel) back in the day. When this came out, I bought the Complete version and played the poo poo out of it. Really, really looking forward to this, this is one of my all time favorite games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh gods Lucia's VA :gonk:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh gods Lucia's VA :gonk:

Give it TIME. This poo poo vocalization, believe it or not, is actually part of her characterization.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Lucia's VA... has grown on me throughout the years. It's still kind of awkward to listen to, I'll admit. I'm a bit torn on it, on a while. I'm honestly not sure if the voice actress is even strictly the issue or whether it's voice direction; Lucia's kind of an odd character.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lucia hasn't exactly done much talking in the last thousand years, probably more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I honestly think the best part of following these LPs is not having to listen to the voice acting in these games.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lucia's voice acting gets better, or at least you get used to it, but I have to admit the delivery of "Take me to her" in that intro is loving terrible.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I like the way Lucia is characterized as the game goes on. Not story-wise, since she's just a cliche like everyone else in this game, but in game mechanics terms. Crowetron will probably talk about it when it comes up (if I'm right and that's really how it works anyway, I could be wrong), but if they don't then maybe I'll remember to bring it up.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

:eng101: If you wait to grind until now, you can get Lucia to do all the hard work for you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

For a while anyway. She eventually gets tired of your poo poo and starts casting a spell that ends the fight without giving you xp.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

For a while anyway. She eventually gets tired of your poo poo and starts casting a spell that ends the fight without giving you xp.

Really? I never knew that. Then again, I'm sick to my rear end of the Blue Spire, so I usually just try to blitz through it as quickly as possible so I can get to the real plot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, it doesn't start til you grind to level 16 or something completely retarded.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Well, this thread is certainly relevant to my interests. Lunar 2, as opposed to Lunar 1, is one of my favorite games of all time. There's a lot of cliches at work at first, yes (there's a reason Hiro named that rule, after all), but this game is pretty drat good at dropping some surprises on you, some more effective than others. It's also quite effective at... answering a question Lunar 1 leaves unanswered. We can sperg a bit about that when we get there.

Crowetron, you're doing a fantastic job with the extra dialogue, by the way. It's clear you have the characters down pat. Leo. :allears:

And yeah, the way Lucia gets characterized in gameplay is interesting as well. Though, again, that should perhaps be covered a little bit later.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, it doesn't start til you grind to level 16 or something completely retarded.

I generally want to show off everything I can, but like hell am I doing that. I barely have enough patience for grinding as it is. I spent my entire test playthrough underleveled.

SpaceDrake posted:

Crowetron, you're doing a fantastic job with the extra dialogue, by the way. It's clear you have the characters down pat. Leo. :allears:

Aw geeze, thanks. :shobon:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It takes surprisingly little time if you set your emulator up properly but then you gotta remember to turn it back when you're fishin for screenshots and voice clips.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lucia: Every cliche, somehow making it all work. You're alright, girl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really, there's nothing wrong with having a character start as a cliche or trope, so long as you flesh that cliche or trope out. They won't exactly be the deepest character ever, but they can be enjoyable to watch and fairly interesting at the same time, and it can lead to more entertaining interactions with other characters. If Lunar were trying to be super-serious all the time, that'd be one thing, but the way characters are written in this game works pretty well with the game's tone, and like I said, they're fun to watch bounce off each other.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just recorded the spell but it'll be a while before my terrible connection finishes uploading it. Turns out you only need to be level 14. I also took some screencaps of a bug you can do by casting calm litany while Lucia's in the party and then hitting the shoulder buttons a couple times.

E: here it is

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 1, 2013

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I just recorded the spell but it'll be a while before my terrible connection finishes uploading it. Turns out you only need to be level 14. I also took some screencaps of a bug you can do by casting calm litany while Lucia's in the party and then hitting the shoulder buttons a couple times.

That's pretty funny, actually. I'll include it in the next update with credit, if that's okay with you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Go for it. She has a few other skills with odd triggers along the way that I'll point out when we get there. One of them might be possible now but getting it to happen is annoying even when she isn't instakilling everything with other spells. That and I kinda hosed up and saved over my Blue Spire file before I thought about it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

dis astranagant posted:

I've heard of this before, but never actually seen it as I was too lazy to grind to see it myself. :v: Thanks for this!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I love that even the game itself explicitly acknowledges why this triggers.

"All that hard work, and you didn't get squat!"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's another spell later that does the same thing and one fight that has that message no matter what. It also comes up if you hit level 18 in the demo (this might be a little lower, haven't played the demo in over a decade and all)

Here's those bug pictures, I only uploaded the interesting ones that come from getting a look at Lucia's spell list. She might have some descriptions for a couple other ones she gets but I haven't gone looking for a save that has them yet. The first 2 are pretty familiar, just tooltips that never otherwise display for 2 of her attack spells.

This one isn't the same Atomic Burn shown above: it's an aoe centered on her with a different voice clip and animation

This last one is a real oddity that only gets cast if you wear a specific accessory to the first final boss fight.
It's a full revive with Lucia yelling "Hiro!"

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Choco1980 posted:

I love that even the game itself explicitly acknowledges why this triggers.

"All that hard work, and you didn't get squat!"
I think that is standard victory message when all enemies run away.

• Locked thread