Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

The worlds most lovably psychotic leprechaun.
I am liking this LP so far. Sadly I look at this game and feel too old now to appreciate it the way I did Silver Star Story when I got that game in Junior High.

Plus I'm a lot like Jean in the last update that I can't actually watch a lot of anime or JRPG things without calling out contrived obstacles or bad decisions made by the PC's in my head that make me feel less for the characters.

It's less so in THIS game in particular, but many other JRPG's create a serious disconnect between character intelligence or abilities and what they actually do.

That said, this LP is fun and clearly from somebody who has affection for the game/series. This is good as a chaser after reading through an LP by somebody who'd like to gently caress the creators with a shotgun (Most of Dark Id's work, but more recently Nine Gear Crow and the white knight chronicles)

Keep up the good work! It's good to have a relative soul cleanse once in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Would you rate them turning out to be unwinnable, comparable to Satan's rear end in a top hat?

Yeah, there's been an LP about a game that has NO tournament arcs...but has been an abject failure on every level that never let's the players actually win important plot battles. Always cutscene where "Haha! All your effort was meaningless!"

On the case of decent tournaments, Star Ocean 3 had a very decent Tournament arc that only had battle that was "unwinnable" and it was mostly to showcase how this semi-plot relevant angst-y master swordsman was exactly that. My only complaint was that if the character who you control in the tournament lost any battle before the "final showdown" the game continued, but you lost your chance at a sword, which would eventually become the ultimate weapon for that character. And it's the only way to get that ultimate poo poo-kicker sword.

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

Unoriginal One posted:

Yeah, that bit Janusmaxwell was talking about actually happens in SO2, not 3.

Still, could be worse, as the tournament arc is pretty short and the arena that shows up later is mostly/entirely optional.

I'd bring up the tournament arcs in the .hack//GU series, but it's been so long since I've played it that I can't recall much outside of them taking up big chunks of each game, and the cutscenes always showing you having a hard time of things even if you're steamrolling the competition.

Yeah that was Star Ocean 2, I don't know why I put down 3 though...But SO2 was actually my first JRPG that I realized was such. My previous experiences were the Breath of Fire games for SNES and I had no idea there was a thing as "JRPG"

I have a soft place for that game in my heart alongside Suikoden 2 and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete.

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

It's kinda weird thinking about Jean switching from the fans to the claws. It brings to mind my experiences playing Shining Force 1 and 2. At a certain point you promote your characters, and you can usually tell when that was supposed to happen cause the shops start selling weapons which were no longer equip-able by the un-promoted party members. For example you have Slade the Rat-man thief who wielded a knife. He get's promoted to a ninja which means he can swing katanas and some regular swords. You pretty much realize he needs his upgrade at the point where you run into shops that don't sell carry knives of any type anymore.

Ahh...memories...

• Locked thread