Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I actually like the Mike line, because it doesn't sound really out of place even if you don't get the reference. Compared to most Working Designs pop culture references, they almost handled that one with finesse.

Edit: The closest I've seen a more recent game come to recapturing the feel of Lunar is, weirdly, the Mass Effect series. I wish more RPGs were as dedicated to entertaining party banter.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've replayed most of this game since I started following the LP, and all I have to say about this part is thank you for being selective about the NPC conversations you choose to include.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

:allears:

I love Lemina's totally overblown hatred of Borgan, and Borgan's characterization in general. His loathsome reputation precedes him by so far that you already know him and hate his guts before you even lay eyes on him.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 1, 2014

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Ronfar, Jean, and Ruby are the real stars of this game for me, and the way their personalities bounce off each other is wonderful. If I had to pick a favorite, though, it would probably be Ronfar. He's of the character archetype Victor Ireland writes best, and I suspect enjoys writing most.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I assumed Punching Puppet Alex was the preorder bonus for Lunar 1: SSSC or something.

Wikipedia says nothing about a Lunar 2 PC port, and Working Designs apparently passed on the PC port of Lunar 1 because it was too buggy.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think the answer to that is a spoiler. Or actually I don't remember what has and hasn't been revealed in the plot yet, but there is an answer, and it's not particularly interesting regardless.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 2, 2014

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Vic Ireland has a new company, Gaijinworks, that's kind of a successor to Working Designs.

He's focused mostly on releasing the Class of Heroes series (ugh), but has some other PSP game in the works, which is strongly rumored to be either Far East of Eden: The Fourth Apocalypse or one of the Summon Night games. So there is some future for silly JRPGs with irreverent translations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Alundra in particular was kind of a low point for Working Designs, because they wanted to take the goofy Lunar approach, but the tone of the game was totally wrong for it. You'd have characters dying tragic deaths left and right, and oh here's this guy who talks like a surfer dude.

There are even quite a few jokes in the Lunar games themselves that fall painfully flat, which Crowetron has mostly been skipping over. Like Jean teasing the scared boy back at Taben's Peak that he's going to grow up to be an interior decorator. Or the interminably long list of in-jokey haikus on Gwyn's bookshelf.

"How hard can it be to find a sewer? Just stick your nose in the air and follow the smell of poop!" deserved to stay, though. :colbert:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 8, 2014

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yeah, those of you who haven't played this before are in for a treat. Probably the best part of the game coming up, or at least one of the most memorable.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
We need a bonus video with Mystere's battle quotes because they are the most wonderful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Urgh. I know it's been said a bunch already, but Lucia's voice actress is so, so awful.

quote:

: "Whatever it was, I bet it was Borgan's fault!"

: "What? But I--"

: "Perhaps if our foes were a bag of porkrinds, you would have not allowed them to slip away so easily."

: "But I didn't even--"

: "Plus, you smell."

: "Yes! Borgan the Black DOES smell!"

:golfclap:

Haha, I can imagine exactly how this would sound. You have Lunn's voice down perfectly.

• Locked thread