Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Less Fat Luke posted:

And don't be like that family in Toronto who watched the other half of their duplex get demolished with no regard for things like walls.

Edit: Wasn't sure I could find it!

https://nationalpost.com/news/toronto/home-sweet-homewreck-this-is-the-worst-reno-story-you-will-ever-hear

Holy poo poo. This is incredible and sad. I hope the people responsible got suplexed in court but unfortunately I can't find anything about how it all played out via google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

leftist heap posted:

He seems ambivalent. I think he'd take it for a good price but he said otherwise he's happy to stay there forever. That's basically how I feel. If someone's gonna give me a shitload over assessment then it's hard not to take the money and run.

Yeah it has to be enough to be an upgrade, especially in this market. You wouldn't want to end up just making a lateral move.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That story just left me :smith:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

That story just left me :smith:

Here this will cheer you up if you already own several investment properties in Vancouver or Toronto:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/vancouver-and-toronto-in-top-5-most-unaffordable-for-homes-globally-203525296.html posted:

Vancouver and Toronto in top 5 most unaffordable for homes globally

Jessy Bains
Tue., February 23, 2021, 3:35 p.m.·2 min read

Rapidly rising home prices and stagnant wages mean Toronto and Vancouver have the dubious distinction of being among the top 5 least affordable housing markets in the world.

A new report from think tanks Urban Reform Institute and Frontier Centre for Public Policy used something called the median multiple — a measurement of income in relation to housing prices. The higher the number, the less affordable the market. It found Hong Kong was the least affordable for the 11th year with a score of 20.7.

Vancouver was second with a score of 13, which is worse than last year’s 11.9. Although minor, Hong Kong actually improved from 20.8.

Sydney (11.8) and Auckland (10.0) are third and fourth followed by Toronto at 9.9.

Montreal and Ottawa-Gatineau didn’t make the top 20 but each has deteriorated to being considered ”severely unaffordable".

The report’s authors say affordability has been deteriorating for decades, but the pandemic has exacerbated the situation.

“In this year of the global pandemic and lockdowns, it is not surprising that housing affordability given the large influx of new buyers, particularly in suburban and outlying areas — has continued to deteriorate,” read the report.

“As a result many low-income and middle-income households who already have suffered the worst consequences from housing inflation will see their standards of living further decline.”

Even though prices have shot up in many of the country’s markets, Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem says he’ll get worried when he starts to see extrapolative expectations.

"When we see people starting to buy houses solely because they think that prices are going up, that is a warning sign to us,” he said at a virtual event hosted by the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce and the Calgary Chamber of Commerce Tuesday.

“We are starting to see early signs of excess exuberance but we’re a long way from where we were in 2016/2017 when things were really hot."

Only four markets are rated affordable (score of 3 or less) and all of them are in the U.S. — Pittsburgh, Rochester, Buffalo, and St. Louis.

Direct link to the report: https://urbanreforminstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Demographia-International-Housing-Affordability-2021.pdf

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

People dropping hundreds of thousands over asking without conditions == starting to see some excess exuberance

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
No you see it's not exuberance unless people are buying solely to speculate on future capital gains and that definitely hasn't been happening for the last decade, never mind that people are flipping houses mere months after they buy them right now.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I viewed a house in october that was an absolute dogshit flip.

Strewn through the house were books... Art of the Deal was placed on the sidetable of the Primary Bedroom. Real Estate Investing For Dummies was on the sidetable of the second bedroom. The Secret was also somewhere in the house.

The house has been sold three times over the last 10 months. First time for 280k second time for 530k, third time for 650k

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

"When we see people starting to buy houses solely because they think that prices are going up, that is a warning sign to us,”

um

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKevSXL_104

- "Yaletown Park", 2004.

(I went digging a bit because I was curious - July 2020 assessed value on unit 1201, 928 Homer St, a 727sqft 2br/2ba - 770k ... (2801, a bit higher up: 878k) MLS shows unit 1201 having sold for 430k in 2007, surely up significantly from the presales ... 735k in 2016, and 795k in Oct 2020.)

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 24, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

leftist heap posted:

If someone's gonna give me a shitload over assessment then it's hard not to take the money and run.

Do assessment values approximate market pricing where you are? In Toronto my SFH assessment when I bought it in 2016 was about 20% below the market, and it hasn't increased since.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Some very anecdotal stuff here but somebody buying Chilliwack has failed 5 times with accepted offers all in the high 700s and 800s with listing prices in the mid 600s. Every showing was basically all indo-canadian families looking to buy SFH that has renters and intend to continue to rent out the place until later when it will be subdivided. Add that to a sale that took place in under an hour to chinese buyers that bought 2 homes in the same block that I know of as well. Its not about them being another race as much as intentions with buying seems to be padding portfolios rather than living in a house.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

Do assessment values approximate market pricing where you are? In Toronto my SFH assessment when I bought it in 2016 was about 20% below the market, and it hasn't increased since.

BC has a provincial crown corporation which decides assessed values across the board for every property in the province, annually - the "BC Assessment Authority".

In general, they are weighted a little bit lower than market in order to keep the number of appeals down, but since everybody is taxed on mill rates across the board, this doesn't much matter. Agricultural properties (including huge mansions with "christmas tree farms", etc) have artificially low values, and now and then there's some arguments such as when industrial property assessments massively spiked after other large industrial properties get rezoned for residential development, but it's mostly decent enough. Consequently things like "no property taxes for churches, schools, etc" have fairly accurate numbers for what's being foregone.

Vaguely related to recent discussion, there were some allegations that the July 1 2019 (released Jan 1, 2020) property values were artificially low for political reasons (ie, "look how well the BC SVT is working!") in what turned out to be an election year. They definitely undershot significantly...

There are a couple previous occasions when real estate prices have fallen that other actions have been taken to keep down the volume of assessment appeals - for example, one recentish year (2010?) governments said "look, we'll use the lowest assessed value from Year A (July 2007 / Jan 1 2008?) and Year B (July 2008 / Jan 1 2009?) to set property taxes" because everybody knew prices were sharply lower by the time tax bills were coming.

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 24, 2021

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

You see, when we increase supply of new and better housing, the value of older housing stock goes down because it has physically deteriorated over time and isn't as good as the new stuff. That's when people move up. People from the older housing move into the newer properties, allowing for others to move into the older housing.

Why yes, that is my head firmly up my own rear end, why do you ask?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I recently did a property assessment/selling price calculation for my Aunt who's a realtor in Vancouver. Who is trying to help my cousin find a house.

Every single house sold for over assessed value with 1 selling exactly at assessed value for some reason.

It averaged from a low of 10% over to a max of 35% over and these houses were in the millions so 10% over means a minimum of 100k over.

Surprisingly not that much over listing price but still at least 3% listing price to selling price with most of them having a selling price 10% over list.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I was mainly using it as a short hand for market price, although the two are pretty close right now for this place.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1363906425181855748

Brand new loving build and they couldn't be arsed to make hot water work.

This could reach peak irony if it turns out that the building has a busted solar water heating system and management tells the tenants to leave buckets of water near south-facing windows in the interim.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

eXXon posted:

This could reach peak irony if it turns out that the building has a busted solar water heating system and management tells the tenants to leave buckets of water near south-facing windows in the interim.

The building isn't called Eau de Soleil for nothing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Chillyrabbit posted:

with 1 selling exactly at assessed value for some reason.
Assessor's gotta buy a house too!

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Looking a house beside a prison and the Realtors saying I need to put 100k over ask.

Realtors are loving snakes. Ban em.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Purgatory Glory posted:

Some very anecdotal stuff here but somebody buying Chilliwack has failed 5 times with accepted offers all in the high 700s and 800s with listing prices in the mid 600s. Every showing was basically all families looking to buy SFH that has renters and intend to continue to rent out the place until later when it will be subdivided. Add that to a sale that took place in under an hour to buyers that bought 2 homes in the same block that I know of as well.

Do you notice how you can actually make this entire post without mentioning race and it still makes perfect sense?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

HookShot posted:

Do you notice how you can actually make this entire post without mentioning race and it still makes perfect sense?

Was it racist of me to mention Chinese and Indo Canadian buyers and their intentions? The indo Canadian who shared their intention were speaking for the others(rightly or wrongly) there saying this was a group effort. Not my words.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I'd like to table a motion to make it bannable to reference tech workers by their employer. Rather than say Amazon or Microsoft employees will keep real estate prices high, let us say there are gainfully employed persons who will keep real estate prices high.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Referencing people by their industry is horribly classist as well, we should best instead simply refer to everybody as "the middle class and those hoping to join it".

As with Prince's symbol, this will be far more convenient to use as an acronym.

TMCATHTJI

Tim-catht-ji

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

You know what else is classist? Suggesting that the middle class is only created through real estate wealth. Abolish all real estate information.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

sitchensis posted:

You see, when we increase supply of new and better housing, the value of older housing stock goes down because it has physically deteriorated over time and isn't as good as the new stuff. That's when people move up. People from the older housing move into the newer properties, allowing for others to move into the older housing.

Why yes, that is my head firmly up my own rear end, why do you ask?

Lest anyone think this is exaggerated: it's not, it's a neoliberal "theory" called filtering, and it was official policy of the City of Vancouver under the Vision/Robertson administration.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I don't think barely anyone ever "moves up" to newer (and more expensive) housing. In a jurisdiction like BC with rent control you're super heavily incentivized to never move because you'll save heaps of money by staying.

There is a less moronic way to phrase the justification to build new and better housing though, which is to point out that if a jurisdiction doesn't build new and better housing, then anytime anyone moves out of existing affordable housing, that rent is gonna spike when the landlord rents it to some incoming tech bro that has just moved into the city.

This is how rents in San Francisco got to be like $3000-4000 for a lovely apartment in a victorian house or whatever absurd number they're at now.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Is newer property better? There's 200 square feet more in a one or two bedroom from the 1970s or 80s than there is in a modern one. You tend to pay about the same for both of those, in the same neighbourhood.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Word of this thread has reached Canada's big wig economists! Expect a soft landing now. Any. Time...

Bank of Canada warns buyers of 'early signs' of overheating in housing market

Despite early signs of overheating in Canada's housing market, Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem so far has no plans to raise interest rates until the economy and employment are back on track following the slump caused by COVID-19.

Speaking remotely to the combined Calgary and Edmonton chambers of commerce on Tuesday, Canada's top central banker said that the economy would continue to need monetary stimulus, likely until 2023, even though there are already signs it could be distorting the residential real estate market.

"In that low-for-long world, there are risks that housing could get carried away, so that is something we will be looking at very carefully," Macklem said in response to a question from a member of the remote audience.

Some observers have already expressed worries that the Canadian housing market is rising at an unsustainable pace, leaving critics — including some in the real estate industry — nervous of a boom, followed by a devastating bust once interest rates finally start to rise.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank-canada-overheating-housing-market-1.5925073

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

This news was already posted on no less this very page.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/idragovic26/status/1364624134379098112?s=20

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I somehow got on a condo realtor's spam list, and the hardcore push of "don't miss out" is astounding. The formatting is unfortunately missing (lots of bolding, italics, font sizes) which misses out on it's fun. I get these like every couple of days, so with sales pushes like this no wonder people are getting into realestate. It can never go down!

Realtor spam posted:

OK! Something crazy happened last night as we were receiving units for one of Toronto downtown's hottest new condo project - some condo unit prices were pushing $1,720 per square foot.
What does that mean, you ask?
It means that a 524 sq. ft. 1 +Den condo is selling for $905,000
And clients who look 5-10-15 years down the road into the future are buying them without hesitation.
And in reality this is not crazy. It is simple supply and demand, again and again, as Toronto is gearing up for another massive expansion taking place in the ned 3-5 years.

Now WHY do you need to know this?

I have units at hand at other downtown condos, similar locations and similar expected occupancy dates - 2024-2026 - at around $1,400 per sq. ft.

So if you are looking for a good deal. Or just tired on submitting worksheets with someone else and not getting a unit, you need to get in touch with me TODAY

And the BEST PART is that they have 5% DEPOSIT ONLY

Just got the word that few units are available in 2 projects in the city with

5% ONLY deposits - that is ALL - 5% - nothing else!

Take a look - these are only 2 of many more

Do not WISH you had bought downtown condo at $1,400 psf few years from now.
ASK ME FOR INFORMATION on this 5% Deposit Only deals TODAY. Seriously!
What is the catch?
1. you must act super fast before they are gone - very few available
2. prices are in the $879,000 to $1.4M range

I can ONLY share details in private.

Message me if interested below.

(last time I had something like that, one guy bought 5. true story for another time)

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

unknown posted:

I somehow got on a condo realtor's spam list, and the hardcore push of "don't miss out" is astounding. The formatting is unfortunately missing (lots of bolding, italics, font sizes) which misses out on it's fun. I get these like every couple of days, so with sales pushes like this no wonder people are getting into realestate. It can never go down!

I'll take 10!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

These things get handed out all the time in Toronto with different details but same message. One of my friends in a townhouse assumed this meant someone was trying to quietly buy all the townhouses to make a condo but it seems more like a scam to me.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Same thing (with the same font and everything), has been distributed around the Montreal area for a long while as well.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Yeah the fake "hand written" look is especially galling. Some of them misrepresent themselves as "a family just looking to buy" or as representing a family. At least these guys were relatively honest about what they do.

Edit: Actually here's John Pasalis with an anecdote:

https://twitter.com/JohnPasalis/status/1364751033835126784?s=20

I get he's biased but ffs as bad as realtors can be they usually do try and get a decent selling price (though not always the best possible price; fast sale can be better than a big $$$ sale if you're a realtor).

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 25, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Did someone say tone deaf? The Star reports that the pandemic came at a great time for Millennials, allowing a surge in home ownership for 25-35 year olds. This is based on stats from some realtors, specifically that 25% of homeowners in that age group bought during the pandemic. No mention of what actual absolute home ownership rates are but hey, take what you can get. Also, this happened partly because of the lack of entertainment options forcing millennials to save instead of frittering away their savings on soy matcha latte avocado toasts, or something. (Yes, near-zero interest rates and a temporary drop in foreign/short term renters are also mentioned).

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I got one of these in the rental house I was sharing with 3 other people and sent them an angry message

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Boy detached home owners in Kitsilano sure don't want new housing near them.

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1364815140042932225?s=20

I can't imagine being a councillor and spending this much time sitting and listening to the same tired transparently nimby arguments.

How has council not moved to only written commentary, if only to save their own sanity?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Femtosecond posted:

Boy detached home owners in Kitsilano sure don't want new housing near them.

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1364815140042932225?s=20

I can't imagine being a councillor and spending this much time sitting and listening to the same tired transparently nimby arguments.

How has council not moved to only written commentary, if only to save their own sanity?

The only thing Karens hate more than whatever you are doing wrong is you denying them the chance to tell you how wrong you are to your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
It's always pretty funny how people like a neighbourhood and want to live there because of the precise character they're desperate to tear down just enough to move in themselves before going full NIMBY in turn.