Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The gap between incomes and cost of living has become so precipitous that I don't think people realize that economically, this stupid country is just barely hanging on.

All of my conversations at work now revolve around staffing. Massive shortfalls in personnel and no one to recruit. Applicants are few and far between, qualified applicants even fewer. People from out of province look at the wages here in BC and laugh. They look at the cost of living and immediately withdraw from the process. And these are for good jobs with comparatively above the mean salaries. We're just not competitive anymore.

Wife and I went to Vancouver in December for a hockey game and shopping, we stayed downtown at the Fairmont. First time we left Vancouver Island since pandemic started. Anyway while I was there, I often thought where exactly do these people live that would serve us, from the high-end steakhouse to the nice lady at the coffee shop. Can't imagine anyone having a short commute to downtown to do min wage work. Then I think of those that work at say VGH, sure your a nurse making say 120k....but your probably spending almost 2 hours a day in a vehicle or transit on top of a 12shift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Joink posted:

Wife and I went to Vancouver in December for a hockey game and shopping, we stayed downtown at the Fairmont. First time we left Vancouver Island since pandemic started. Anyway while I was there, I often thought where exactly do these people live that would serve us, from the high-end steakhouse to the nice lady at the coffee shop. Can't imagine anyone having a short commute to downtown to do min wage work. Then I think of those that work at say VGH, sure your a nurse making say 120k....but your probably spending almost 2 hours a day in a vehicle or transit on top of a 12shift?

VGH has huge problems with recruitment and nurses don’t earn that kind of coin without serious overtime. Often, many commute in from Langley.

I did SkyTrain from New Westminster to downtown for 5+ years…two hours round trip. So glad I don’t do that anymore.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
You think housing prices can be stopped?

it shall rise eternal, with only True Canadians being able to savour the Pride of Home Ownership

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Real estate is 13% of our GDP - that's rookie numbers. Anything less than 30% we won't be able to transition our Prime Minister into the Prime Realtor.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

quote:

P.E.I. senior can't find housing after name picked at random for eviction

Seniors on P.E.I. are feeling the housing crunch more than most, with rising rental costs exceeding fixed incomes for those on pensions or social assistance.

Just ask Valerie Arsenault.

The Charlottetown woman's landlord took the names of several renters at the Kensington Road apartment building where she lives, put them into a hat and drew one out.

The "winner" would have to give up his or her unit so that his son could move into it.

Landlord Gary Jenkins would not do a recorded interview, but told CBC News he is renting units for as little as possible and his son also needs a place to live in a tight housing market. He said he feels sorry for Arsenault and understands she is on a fixed income. He intends to give her a good reference to show when seeking new housing.

Lol gently caress them all, I'm sure this fucker has ample space in his basement for his goddam son.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

mik posted:

Lol gently caress them all, I'm sure this fucker has ample space in his basement for his goddam son.

First class citizens don’t make sacrifices. That is for the poors.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

For the "housing only goes up", "we're entering a new era of neo-feudalism" crowd, I can see what they're on about if we're talking about detached homes. There are many cities that are completely built out and redevelopment of those existing detached homes will be required for any new growth, which will further reduce the amount of detached homes, increasing exclusivity and price. The only way to keep a lid on prices of this sort of product is severe land value taxes to effectively make it so expensive to own a detached home that no one would ever want to.

Now in contrast there's really no limit to the amount of apartments we can make, only arbitrary political limits. You can carve up land, add more height and make apartments anywhere. I expect we're going to continue to do so at an increasingly rapid pace. It feels like we're close to a breaking point where governments finally capitulate and reign in the nimbys. If this happens we're gonna see the pace of apartment development kick up a notch.

With apartments there's little to differentiate between them beside location, and with density you can really pile them into a certain "hot" location. All this means there should be a lid on prices with the more we make. Already we've seen that prices for Vancouver apartments in Olympic Village/Mount Pleasant, the area that has seen the most amount of apartment growth in recent years, has been pretty much flat since 2019.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

For the "housing only goes up", "we're entering a new era of neo-feudalism" crowd, I can see what they're on about if we're talking about detached homes. There are many cities that are completely built out and redevelopment of those existing detached homes will be required for any new growth, which will further reduce the amount of detached homes, increasing exclusivity and price. The only way to keep a lid on prices of this sort of product is severe land value taxes to effectively make it so expensive to own a detached home that no one would ever want to.

Now in contrast there's really no limit to the amount of apartments we can make, only arbitrary political limits. You can carve up land, add more height and make apartments anywhere. I expect we're going to continue to do so at an increasingly rapid pace. It feels like we're close to a breaking point where governments finally capitulate and reign in the nimbys. If this happens we're gonna see the pace of apartment development kick up a notch.

With apartments there's little to differentiate between them beside location, and with density you can really pile them into a certain "hot" location. All this means there should be a lid on prices with the more we make. Already we've seen that prices for Vancouver apartments in Olympic Village/Mount Pleasant, the area that has seen the most amount of apartment growth in recent years, has been pretty much flat since 2019.

I think I am skeptical of this because apartments require more of things that people consider shared resources than single family homes, like parks, and less shared resources than SFHs that aren't generally considered shared resources, like roads. Lots of apartment dwellers are going to want a local park they can go to (or even let their kids go to relatively alone). So we'll need to make sure they aren't homeless encampments by building public housing, have solid police presence which probably means reforming policing in the US (maybe not Canada, I dunno), and have low traffic routes for park access by building out public transit or just closing streets to cars. All that sort of stuff has been given short shrift in the post-war/-car period even though it was the norm before that time. The Strong Towns argument that density begets these services by reducing costs for roads, sewers, and the like is convincing to me (and probably you), but the public at large hates it. You'll have to win the density battle on so, so many fronts. My guess is that the metaphorical war will eventually be won, but I don't particularly care if affordability and livability become priorities in 2050 or whatever.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I wonder what will happen if we don't build any family friendly housing and millennials hit their mid 30s and start forming families?

quote:

As Vancouver Shrinks, the Suburbs Swell

Is it a pandemic exodus? Vancouver’s population has shrunk for the first time in half a century, according to population estimates by Statistics Canada. The census counted about 631,500 Vancouverites in 2016. New estimates placed the population at 700,000 in 2020.

But come 2021, it dipped by 6,780.

“They’re not necessarily leaving the region. There’s just a big shuffle,” says Andy Yan, the director of Simon Fraser University’s city program.

So where’s the growth?

Just look elsewhere in the Lower Mainland, where many communities experienced gains.

Surrey welcomed just over 13,000 additional residents during the same period, the greatest of all B.C. communities, bringing its total population to 614,600. Langley, its next-door neighbour, added 4,702 to reach 166,400.

On Vancouver Island, Langford, which forms part of Greater Victoria, saw 6.5 per cent growth during the pandemic, pushing its population to 47,313. It’s a tremendous jump from 2016, when its population was 35,300.

Victoria itself also lost a handful of people. In 2020, the population was estimated to be 94,929. By 2021, it lost 39 people.

These population estimates are not census data, which is collected from Canadian residents every five years. Instead, Statistics Canada calculates the estimates using Canadians’ financial data every July.

The census may be more detailed when it comes to demographics, but these estimates — released last week — offer us a year-by-year look at what’s happening to our population during the pandemic.

Vancouver’s dip in population might be an anomaly for the region, but it’s in line with other big Canadian cities, says Yan.

The Statistics Canada estimates show that Toronto and Montreal also lost population between 2020 and 2021 while their surrounding communities grew.

Yan sees the data pointing to a few reasons for the Lower Mainland’s suburban swell.

It’s not just the push of Vancouver’s expensive cost of living; it’s also the pull of the suburbs. That’s where there’s more blue-collar work, like manufacturing. That’s where cultural communities like Richmond and Surrey are flourishing, attracting newcomers.

“It’s not new,” says Yan of the suburban lure. “We’re seeing just how acute it is.”

There’s also a generational cohort that’s growing up and starting families, and leaving Vancouver gives them more space for their buck.

“Millennials took a bit longer, but they do prefer to live in larger spaces when they hit their 30s and 40s,” says Yan, who says the same goes for renters and homebuyers. “Their priorities are changing.”

Yan uses TV shows as a metaphor: “That Friends phase of their life is going into The Simpsons.”

He points to booming Surrey and Langley cementing their place as cities for young families through their housing stock.

Townhouses are in high demand, and Surrey has been adding about 1,000 new units a year. Vancouver, on the other hand, adds about 100 a year, a small number considering the city’s pledges to increase “missing middle” housing types, says Yan.

Surrey’s growth of families is reflected in its student population of over 74,000 — the largest school district in B.C.

Canadian residents will get an even clearer picture of changing demographics, and what role the pandemic might have played, very soon. Data from the 2021 census will be released in increments, the first numbers coming Feb. 9.

One thing is certain: at this point of the region’s growth, it’s not accurate to call the communities outside Vancouver bedroom ’burbs anymore.

“The whole field is struggling to define them,” says Yan. “It used to be urban, suburban, rural — piece of cake. They’ve grown beyond their roles as suburbs to the City of Vancouver. They have characteristics of cities themselves.”

Yan is right to point out that there's more to this than just family formation.

In building highrises on brownfields Vancouver, Burnaby and Richmond are shedding industrial space, and that means industrial growth in the valley. That means more blue collar jobs shifting there too.

Surrey and Langley have substantial South Asian communities, and continued immigration growth from that area of the world is likely to find its way to communities that already have strong cultural connections already.

Still, even though people are always to be moving to the burbs in search of more value for their dollar, you gotta figure it can't hurt for Vancouver to be building some more townhouses here.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 21, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

With apartments there's little to differentiate between them beside location

I mean you could differentiate by having literally anything other than a 0 - 2 bedroom in a 50 year old building available for rent.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MickeyFinn posted:

I think I am skeptical of this because apartments require more of things that people consider shared resources than single family homes, like parks, and less shared resources than SFHs that aren't generally considered shared resources, like roads. Lots of apartment dwellers are going to want a local park they can go to (or even let their kids go to relatively alone). So we'll need to make sure they aren't homeless encampments by building public housing, have solid police presence which probably means reforming policing in the US (maybe not Canada, I dunno), and have low traffic routes for park access by building out public transit or just closing streets to cars. All that sort of stuff has been given short shrift in the post-war/-car period even though it was the norm before that time. The Strong Towns argument that density begets these services by reducing costs for roads, sewers, and the like is convincing to me (and probably you), but the public at large hates it. You'll have to win the density battle on so, so many fronts. My guess is that the metaphorical war will eventually be won, but I don't particularly care if affordability and livability become priorities in 2050 or whatever.

It's worth noting that Vancouver has, very slowly and very carefully, been replacing roads with parks in quite a few locations around the city.

Happy to link examples if you're interested. The planned St George Rainway is a pretty exciting one.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I recall seeing that Toronto's population also went down by something like 17,000 this year? I think that has to keep going right? The non-wealthy will abandon these places in increasing numbers until the richies start to wonder where all their artisan baristas have gone.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

While I do think an exodus of the poor from the overpriced metros is coming, I don't know if we can really extrapolate anything from population movement trends over the past two years though.

But yeah, inflation is going nuts, and while salaries are increasing for professionals, the minimum wage ain't likely to increase again soon.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Fidelitious posted:

I recall seeing that Toronto's population also went down by something like 17,000 this year? I think that has to keep going right? The non-wealthy will abandon these places in increasing numbers until the richies start to wonder where all their artisan baristas have gone.

where are you getting this?

quote:

The current metro area population of Toronto in 2022 is 6,313,000, a 0.93% increase from 2021.
The metro area population of Toronto in 2021 was 6,255,000, a 0.94% increase from 2020.
The metro area population of Toronto in 2020 was 6,197,000, a 0.94% increase from 2019.
The metro area population of Toronto in 2019 was 6,139,000, a 0.94% increase from 2018.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Typo posted:

where are you getting this?

("metro area Toronto" = GTA) != (Toronto = pre-amalgamation "metro Toronto")

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1481801274819584003

Or since the article is paywalled:

https://twitter.com/MikePMoffatt/status/1481621571261419526

tl;dr from other summaries: the 905 area had net population growth because immigration exceeded migration losses; that was not true in the 416.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 21, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
I'm kind of surprised that Peel and York are seeing net outward migration as well. They don't suffer quite as badly from Toronto's problem of "your career will buy you a better home literally anywhere else on the planet except for a number of cities you can count on one hand."

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Fidelitious posted:

Unfortunately, if other major global cities are anything to go by, most minimum-wage-paying businesses in Vancouver or Toronto probably won't face major issues finding labour without raising wages substantially (at least once we're past this current late pandemic labour crunch). The reality is that low-wage workers will simply move farther away from their work to be able to continue living on low wages and accept that longer and longer commutes are just a fact of life.

Eventually you'll have a situation like Manhattan, where the only people who live in the city proper are super wealthy, were lucky enough to inherit property, or are coasting on some sort of sweet rental situation (the last of which is of course unlikely in cities like Vancouver, given the lack of rent control).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
BC has rent control that is generally okay with the major problem of it being tied to the renter instead of to the unit.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Eventually you'll have a situation like Manhattan, where the only people who live in the city proper are super wealthy, were lucky enough to inherit property, or are coasting on some sort of sweet rental situation (the last of which is of course unlikely in cities like Vancouver, given the lack of rent control).

There is life north of 50th Street, you know. There are plenty of non-wealthy people in Manhattan, and in the rest of the city.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Fidelitious posted:

BC has rent control that is generally okay with the major problem of it being tied to the renter instead of to the unit.

Lol, how does this work? The person looking through the unit says "oh by the way, I will be paying $500.00 in rent"?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rents in BC can only increase a certain percentage each year, unless the tenant moves out, when you can jack up the rent as much as you want for the new tenant.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, landlords then do everything to hope to have a high turn over in tenants. A new person every year or two means they can jack the rent up 10-20% every year. A single person staying for many years might mean they're only sucking $1200 out of them instead of $1800 and that's basically the same as the tenant stealing $600 a month from them. So to bring justice and balance to the world landlords just announce they have to do renovations or are moving a family member in. Most tenants are too busy scrambling for a new place to live to actually launch any sort of formal fighting back or investigate a year later if the landlord actually has his 2nd cousin twice removed living there.

I've known some landlords with big families who have a few family members who are used to evict anyone who's rent get too low. They then live in the unit for the minimum amount of time needed by law for the eviction to be legal, and the landlord gets to jack the rent up by like $1000 sometimes. One weird trick to bypass all tenant protections through the purity of landlord bloodlines. Landlord blood is better than renter blood and this is correctly enshrined in law.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if I was rich I would simply enjoy my life and not move in & out of different houses all year long

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/condominum-toronto-owners-repairs-1.6323195

This is a funny article. Hard to know all the facts but it seems to be typical of a lot of stratas. Almost $10million in debt and having been put off basic repairs for decades, suddenly the building is on the verge of collapse because of the neglect and a special assessment is applied to all owners under threat of lien. In response, the owners are demanding that the strata take on more debt instead of them having to pay the special assessment. I guess that sucks for them, but guess what, if you continually push for lower fees, don't turn up to meetings other that to complain about random things, don't be surprised when the building is suddenly one day dilapidated and the cost of repair is orders of magnitude greater what it should have been had the strata just been forced to be on top of it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you earned 100k with a remote job and had no other constraints, what Canadian city would y'all live in?

I'm thinking Halifax for some reason

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I would never take a remote job willingly. Regardless of where I live that would be a significantly negative impact on my wellbeing. Like the job would have to pay me a lot more, like double at least, than an on-site role for me to even consider it. But that is just me.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If you earned 100k with a remote job and had no other constraints, what Canadian city would y'all live in?

One of those beach towns in Mexico that is lousy with hosers.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

qhat posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/condominum-toronto-owners-repairs-1.6323195

This is a funny article. Hard to know all the facts but it seems to be typical of a lot of stratas. Almost $10million in debt and having been put off basic repairs for decades, suddenly the building is on the verge of collapse because of the neglect and a special assessment is applied to all owners under threat of lien. In response, the owners are demanding that the strata take on more debt instead of them having to pay the special assessment. I guess that sucks for them, but guess what, if you continually push for lower fees, don't turn up to meetings other that to complain about random things, don't be surprised when the building is suddenly one day dilapidated and the cost of repair is orders of magnitude greater what it should have been had the strata just been forced to be on top of it.

What exactly are they getting for $900/month in strata fees in a 10 story building?

Lived in a low rise BC condo for 5 years and my strata fee was $250/month max. People thought it was steep and it was certainly the highest out of the 3 other stratas on the same complex but we also had very little debt and well maintained property.

Running on a strata council sucked. Going to the AGM where all the seniors on limited income showed up in droves claiming that I’m a monster for proposing an increase to our strata fee because it would get in the way of their Tim Horton coffee. Then turned around to tell me it’s great to see young determined people on council.

Sold it shortly afterward and never looked back.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

quaint bucket posted:

What exactly are they getting for $900/month in strata fees in a 10 story building?

Lived in a low rise BC condo for 5 years and my strata fee was $250/month max. People thought it was steep and it was certainly the highest out of the 3 other stratas on the same complex but we also had very little debt and well maintained property.

Running on a strata council sucked. Going to the AGM where all the seniors on limited income showed up in droves claiming that I’m a monster for proposing an increase to our strata fee because it would get in the way of their Tim Horton coffee. Then turned around to tell me it’s great to see young determined people on council.

Sold it shortly afterward and never looked back.

By the looks of it, they were paying the interest on the ten million dollar loan, probably massive insurance if anyone will even take them, plus probably the bare minimum to keep the building barely functional.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like I can’t help but feel that this of one of those situations where they have legitimately dragged their heels on every bit of maintenance for forty something years to the point where the damage to the building is now so severe that nothing can save it. I would be surprised if any of them will even be able to find a buyer for their units, it looks the entire building could be torn down in the near future.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

qhat posted:

Like I can’t help but feel that this of one of those situations where they have legitimately dragged their heels on every bit of maintenance for forty something years to the point where the damage to the building is now so severe that nothing can save it. I would be surprised if any of them will even be able to find a buyer for their units, it looks the entire building could be torn down in the near future.

You are absolutely correct on all points. Building maintenance is super easy; however, the healthy combination of caretaker/maintenance worker, property management group, and strata council is key to ensure a successful preventative and asset management of the facility. If you have a strata council compromised of people that enjoy a game of backgammons and crocheting on a Tuesday afternoon or office workers who never picked up a hammer coupled with an underpaid and barely qualified maintenance worker (usually $5-10/hr under market value) then it’s gonna end poorly in the long run.

The maintenance guy didn’t like me because I was in a similar line of work and could call him out.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

qhat posted:

I would never take a remote job willingly. Regardless of where I live that would be a significantly negative impact on my wellbeing. Like the job would have to pay me a lot more, like double at least, than an on-site role for me to even consider it. But that is just me.

How come? It's been so nice for me. I just have so much more time to do laundry, shop, sleep in.

Also opens up stuff like working from a sailboat while cruising around the Gulf Islands

I'm literally gonna leave my job if they try to make it none remote again

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah me and my wife are at the point where if anyone told us we had to go back to offices and commutes we'd just look for new jobs. Getting up and having a calm not rushed breakfast together after sleeping in a little every morning because no one has to rush off for an awful commute. Having a home-cooked lunch and then a lovely relaxing walk around the neighbourhood to unwind and chat. The absolutely second its punching out time simply slapping that laptop closed, standing up, and being instantly home. No forced socializing with coworkers, instead more time to socialize with my actual friends. No noise or distractions of the typical cubicle farm, just a cozy space I feel comfortable in. They get my time exactly based on the time they're paying me, not a second more as it's so much easier to just close a laptop than leave a physical office.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Alctel posted:

How come? It's been so nice for me. I just have so much more time to do laundry, shop, sleep in.

Also opens up stuff like working from a sailboat while cruising around the Gulf Islands

I'm literally gonna leave my job if they try to make it none remote again

Because I hate it. Seriously. I cannot sit in my apartment on my own or otherwise and stay focused. It might sound weird to you but I absolutely require enthusiasm and social activity from my team physically around me to not go stir crazy. The pandemic has only convinced me for certain that I never want to work from home ever again.

My experience is that 50% of people want to stay WFH, and 50% want to go back to the office ASAP, even with tech which is what I am in. I think if tech stayed WFH forever, I would get the highest possible paying job I could find and retire into another career at the earliest possibility.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Yeah I can’t wait to get back to the office. I hate using the same desk and room for work and play. If I could afford a bigger place with an actual office space maybe it’d be better. I’m also way less productive and focused not being in an environment meant for working with other people around me working. I feel less connected to what’s going on in my organization. I started a new job during the pandemic and, nearly two years in, I know far fewer people, teams, etc than I would had I been working in person. It’s all very unmotivating for me.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

qhat posted:

Yeah, the article mentions the fees going up to $900/month but I think it's safe to assume that they waited way too long to do that and the accumulated maintenance and debt sucked all that extra up no problem.
It seems a bit of an odd story, trying to pull on people's heartstrings with the seniors and stuff but it doesn't make much sense. Like it's a different ownership setup than a home but they all still collectively own the building and it's common areas. You don't have much room for complaint if everyone just decides to let it fall to pieces. Like is someone going to write an article about someone who didn't do any roof, plumbing, or electrical work on their house for 40 years and is then shocked when the accumulated damage is going to cost 200k to repair?

If you own in a condo setup it is a standard part of protecting your property to be up to date on what is happening with it. You have the legal right to see the financial statements (to a certain degree) and meeting minutes of the council. You can't just pretend that all you need to care about is your own unit.

Just part of the reason I wanted to avoid and sort of condo purchase. I don't want to have to trust that 50+ other owners are going to vote for rational costs for maintenance or practical improvements that could save money in the long run because condo owners often appear to be allergic to any sort of capital expenditure.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I faced this 5 years ago. It's time to bust out a classic pro/con list. Mine resulting in moving up the 400 to a place on Georgian Bay. It positioned us closing to my partners aging parents (who sooner or later will need our support), it also meant that if the wheels came off remote work I could, in theory still get a job in the GTA and decide my next move (sell, rent it out, kill myself commuting, etc). In retrospect it turned out to be a slick move (for now...), but I was absolutely making GBS threads myself and had a mini-breakdown on move in day. The idea of moving province is idealistic, but many seem to be basing it on spreadsheets and not emotions, which at some point will get to you. What's your confidence level on finding a new position if you are based in Halifax? Do you enjoy the activities that are available out there? Can you handle the climate difference? What's the internet connection like? Do you have a friend group out there...do you even need one? Do you have a partner, if so, are they into it? If you don't have
partner, are you comfortable with your chances of meeting someone out there? None of these are a deal breaker, but it pays to be realistic. Your stage of live comes into it too, I uprooted my life and moved across the world in my 20s....approaching my 40s I would not do that poo poo again.

If I was to make the same choice now - I'd move as remote as I could that had decent internet. I'm planning on becoming Michael Caine in Children of Men ASAP.

FWIW I like Halifax and it would be on my list, as would most of Atlantic Canada... but I'm British and lovely weather makes me feel justified in my misery.

midge fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 25, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

is someone going to write an article about someone who didn't do any roof, plumbing, or electrical work on their house for 40 years and is then shocked when the accumulated damage is going to cost 200k to repair?

Back when local papers actually had editorial in real estate sections they absolutely loved writing this story lol.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I've been thinking about Halifax, but my entire family is entrenched in the GTA. The other issue is your kids would just end up moving back to the GTA because jobs, so you are sort of pricing yourself out of the market there the second you pack up and leave.

If you do leave with equity, you can get a pretty nice house for under a million in the Halifax area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

qhat posted:

Seriously. I cannot sit in my apartment on my own or otherwise and stay focused.

There are plenty of distractions in my apartment, but there also plenty of distractions at work due to it being an open office plan. And when 99% of what everyone does is computer touching, my location is completely irrelevant as long as it has a good enough Internet connection.

I don't want to never see my coworkers again, but it's annoying as hell to be forced into the office for the sole purpose of keeping up appearances and pretending it's still 2019.

Between the hugely overpriced housing, moderately overpriced everything else, and putting the screws to workers who try to escape either of those things, Canada seems like it's leaning more and more into a company-town mentality.