Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
its possible, but people here are brainwashed into thinking housing is the best asset ever. Letting them foreclose so you can declare bankruptcy against the now unsecured judgement debt works. And you would be talking about people with no other assets the creditors could come after in bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

If I was in that situation I would declare bankruptcy immediately. Who cares if you can’t get a car loan for a few years? All the money you’d be spending on debt servicing for a decade to get back to square one would add up quick.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
That's what the whole point of bankruptcy is about. Once you lose a home you will probably have a bunch of R9/I9 marks on your credit which is just barely one step above bankruptcy so might as well go for the full discharge and just rent it out for a few years until it drops off the credit report.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Exactly, and you know a guy who knows a guy that bailed then you do it too. Just like everyone makes money flipping so you have to buy to not be stupid. Maybe we see the flipside. See what a recession will cause when money laundering isn't as prevailent.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Don't forget that its actually fairly easy to get credit after you declare bankruptcy - lenders suddenly like you since you aren't able to declare bankruptcy again for many years. (also, all your debt is gone, so those payments are gone, and generally you've got better cash flow again)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I pay all my bills near instantly (no mortgage so just LoC/Credit Card) but wonder if banks would like me more if I dragged things out and sucked some more interest out of me. I wonder what the ideal customer looks like. Someone whose chronically late and only makes the minimum payment on everything but simultaneously somehow never defaults?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

CRISPYBABY posted:

I pay all my bills near instantly (no mortgage so just LoC/Credit Card) but wonder if banks would like me more if I dragged things out and sucked some more interest out of me. I wonder what the ideal customer looks like. Someone whose chronically late and only makes the minimum payment on everything but simultaneously somehow never defaults?

It's a myth that lenders (at least traditional ones) like people who pay lot's of interest. Many lenders use different scores to determine credit worthiness:
-FICO(people know as the credit score) measures how late you are on payments. Also if you are close to the limit on revolving debt when you get it checked again. Tells us the history of your mistakes with your debt.
-TUBS score(transunion bankruptcy score). This most people havent heard of and we don't explain that if their credit is poo poo that this is reason cause it just confuses them. This measures how much debt you have open and where the balances are compared to the limit. It tells us the chances poo poo will go wrong.

The analogy I use is to compare it to is those plate spinner guys. FICO tells us how many times he's dropped a plate. TUBS tells us if he has set up so many plates that even if they have't dropped yet that it's becoming inevitable.

Credit card companies love people that pay early and use the card like crazy cause they sit back and collect the fees from the vendor and have no risk. People who have been paying lot's of interest are a sure sign things are going to go sideways eventually, or they are just poor money managers.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Ah, cool. I forget just how much money gets raked in from vendor fees.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Oh hey the final phase of the Shannon Mews project is done. Let's have a look to see whose selling.... oh well that's a lot of people who aren't very happy with their purchase.

https://twitter.com/FIVRE604/status/1165392106489204736?s=20

BTW it is RACIST to suggest that there's any connection at all between these sellers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CRISPYBABY posted:

Ah, cool. I forget just how much money gets raked in from vendor fees.

I can understand how Canadian and Australian banks make money off rewards cards since they are mostly terrible - it's hard to find rewards better than 1%, and from what I understand merchant fees range from 1-3% for Diamond Platinum AMEX Discover. In the US, though, there are rewards cards with up to 5% cash back (albeit usually on specific categories), so they must be losing money on some transactions. Of course it still makes sense for retailers to offer branded cards and such, but otherwise as usual it seems like there's stiff competition in the US and gently caress all in Canada.

Anyway, if you're buying something from a merchant you like use cash or debit if you can. Otherwise, gently caress 'em.

e: there's also that amusing story of people making money by buying crates of gold dollar coins from the US mint with rewards cards and depositing them to pay off the bill. It's not possible anymore and was also a very bad risky idea in the first place, but apparently it did work.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 27, 2019

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
The Canadian mint was selling commemorative coins at face value for a while, I remember reading about someone who got a few round the world trips worth of air miles by buying them and depositing them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

eXXon posted:

e: there's also that amusing story of people making money by buying crates of gold dollar coins from the US mint with rewards cards and depositing them to pay off the bill. It's not possible anymore and was also a very bad risky idea in the first place, but apparently it did work.

It wasn't even gold dollar coins. It was just dollar coins. The US Congress and Mint had recognised, like literally everybody who visits the US from another country, that one dollar bills make absolutely no sense. But, the Federal Reserve who actually distributes money is a separate entity from the Mint, and refused to put them into circulation themselves. So the only way the Mint could try to get them into circulation was to incentivise people to order them directly So they minted dollar coins, and to help get them into circulation, offered to ship them for free.

And then people abused the gently caress out of that to get credit card points. There's a blog post somewhere about some guy who had to get a dolly to carry all the coins to the bank to deposit, and basically permanently alienated his local bank branch staff, while also costing the Mint far more in courier fees than he ever made back in credit card points, but it worked for him.

And now the Mint charges you shipping if you want coins. Also dollar coins are a non-starter in the US because the Fed won't buy them from the Mint anyway.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1166476400179572736?s=21

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, we'll see how the courts respond to the argument that they should get their money back because their money laundering scheme failed.

In other schadenfreude,

https://openhousing.ca/2019/08/27/scores-of-vancouver-condo-flips-headed-for-a-loss/

This is a good one:

code:
Address	Year Built	List Price	List Date	Bought Price	Bought Date	Profit/Loss %

904 1835 MORTON AVENUE	1960	$2,499,000	06-May-2019	$3,150,000	26-Feb-2018	-20.67
OK, they've listed for a 20% loss (not counting holding and transaction costs). Let's take a look a look at the listing...

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2395421/1904-1835-morton-avenue-vancouver-bc

quote:

On the water in English Bay!!! Absolutely the best location in Vancouver. Spectacular 2 bedroom with 2 full bathrooms, 1505 square foot. sub-penthouse. Jaw dropping views to the west and to the east. A near perfect renovation with approximately $700,000 spent on completely rebuilding the suite. There just isn't another apartment like this on the market. State of the art home automation system including fully automated blackout blinds and window shades. Fabulous quality including Carrera tile, Gaganeau appliances etc. Attention to detail featuring thoughtful built-in top of the line cabinetry and mill work. It doesn't get any better. No foreign buyer tax no property purchase tax. This property is not leasehold it is freehold/co-op. 2nd parking spot rented for $30 per month

There are a couple of things going on here.

a) OK, the $700K in renos were probably completed before the 2016 purchase, but if not, then they're looking at more like a $1.4M loss (not counting holding + transaction costs). If that's the case, they'll be lucky if they get back half of what they put in.
b) "No foreign buyer tax no property purchase tax." This building is a weird rich-people co-op, so loopholes its way through the foreign buyer tax. Not mentioned is that the prospective buyer has to pass an interview with the co-op board to persuade them that they'll actually live there. They can't be that selective, though, since the current owner is obviously a flipper.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

The Breaker posted:

The court filing says that Chen’s real estate agent, Robin Fu, entered into an agreement on Aug. 3, 2017 that called for the defendant to pay the agent’s brokerage a 4.255% commission on the first $100,000 and 1.1625% on the balance of the purchase price.

Chen paid the deposit in full, according to the statement of claim, but had a “seriously limited ability to read English” and claims the agent did not reasonably and adequately explain to her what the contract provided for and what consequences would follow from breach of contract.

Chen claimed her circumstances changed since the Chinese government moved in August 2017 to stiffen regulations about foreign currency exchange. Chinese citizens can purchase, in China, up to USD$50,000 a year. At the start of 2019, the Chinese government ruled that Chinese citizens must not use foreign currency purchased in China to buy real estate in foreign countries.

The developer is alleged to have moved the due date repeatedly, but I don't see how the buyer's failure to understand a contract in English, or inability to move money out of China, is something for which she has a remedy against the developer.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 29, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This is another good one. I think it was a few months ago we were talking about how terrible being in a two-property strata would be. Well how about this?

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2392165/3090-kings-avenue-vancouver-bc

quote:

RARE OPPORTUNITY! For a 50% freehold interest of this desirable property in convenient Vancouver location. Walking distance to 29th sky train station, schools and recreation facilities. Spacious 2nd floor unit & loft with a large deck and panoramic views of the North Shore mountains and Vancouver cityscape. You will enjoy this well cared for home for years to come. It has been extensively renovated over the years and the rooms are large and comfortable YOU ARE PURCHASING 50% of the whole property which consists of 2 separate living accommodations. Each owner has exclusive use of their designated unit as stipulated in the Co-ownership Agreement.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah, we'll see how the courts respond to the argument that they should get their money back because their money laundering scheme failed.

In other schadenfreude,

https://openhousing.ca/2019/08/27/scores-of-vancouver-condo-flips-headed-for-a-loss/

This is a good one:

code:
Address	Year Built	List Price	List Date	Bought Price	Bought Date	Profit/Loss %

904 1835 MORTON AVENUE	1960	$2,499,000	06-May-2019	$3,150,000	26-Feb-2018	-20.67
OK, they've listed for a 20% loss (not counting holding and transaction costs). Let's take a look a look at the listing...

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2395421/1904-1835-morton-avenue-vancouver-bc

There are a couple of things going on here.

a) OK, the $700K in renos were probably completed before the 2016 purchase, but if not, then they're looking at more like a $1.4M loss (not counting holding + transaction costs). If that's the case, they'll be lucky if they get back half of what they put in.
b) "No foreign buyer tax no property purchase tax." This building is a weird rich-people co-op, so loopholes its way through the foreign buyer tax. Not mentioned is that the prospective buyer has to pass an interview with the co-op board to persuade them that they'll actually live there. They can't be that selective, though, since the current owner is obviously a flipper.

You know who hates openhousing.ca? Steve Saretzsky, monetary policy skeptic and realtor celebrity.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Keep driving the price down. This is a good start.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Not mentioned is that the prospective buyer has to pass an interview with the co-op board to persuade them that they'll actually live there. They can't be that selective, though, since the current owner is obviously a flipper.
People often squirrel their way on to boards in preparation to sell their unit. My step-sister bought a unit that got entangled in a legal quagmire because the owner was on the board and the leaky condo inspection got documents “went missing” before it was listed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This is another good one. I think it was a few months ago we were talking about how terrible being in a two-property strata would be. Well how about this?

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2392165/3090-kings-avenue-vancouver-bc

DailyHive had this one in one of their articles being all "it's almost 50% under assessed value!!!!!" and got absolutely called out by everyone going "yes you are buying 50% of it it's actually being sold above assessed"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
"Two property strata" is how all duplexes worked in BC up until like, 2012 IIRC and probably makes up a majority of existing duplexes. There effectively no other way to do it until party-wall agreements were changed in 2012

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A lot of the ones that were making people anticipate awful things were the 2 member stratas where one was the house proper and the other was the coach house over the garage (or garden suite.)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

ocrumsprug posted:

A lot of the ones that were making people anticipate awful things were the 2 member stratas where one was the house proper and the other was the coach house over the garage (or garden suite.)

Yeah that sounds no bueno

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is Justin Trudeau as :mediocre: as a Obama?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Obama was worse but Trudeau is way more embarrassing.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Obama didn't set up housing debt traps in Canada, so he wins this round.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I ask because I just saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPeXoQUrbI

He came off as Obama but if he actually had a super majority his entire term.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
yay we're famous

e: he's not our obama, he's our trump cause all the dumbest canadians vote for him no matter what he does.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rob and Doug Ford are much better candidates for a "Canadian Trump" than Trudeau. Maybe Scheer if he gets in with 40% of the popular vote.

ocrumsprug posted:

Obama didn't set up housing debt traps in Canada, so he wins this round.

The Liberals have been pretty dumb with their policy of adding more fuel to the fire, but it was the Tories who introduced the 40-year, zero-down mortgages that got us into this mess in the first place.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rob and Doug Ford are much better candidates for a "Canadian Trump" than Trudeau. Maybe Scheer if he gets in with 40% of the popular vote.

The Liberals have been pretty dumb with their policy of adding more fuel to the fire, but it was the Tories who introduced the 40-year, zero-down mortgages that got us into this mess in the first place.

I was mostly commenting on him just asking questions in the wrong thread.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

I was mostly commenting on him just asking questions in the wrong thread.

Oh yeah, fair enough. That's kind of his gimmick.

To bring this back on topic, does anyone know what the specific deal is with 99%/1% partial ownership? Like, what specific taxes is this meant to evade, and is it a legal or illegal loophole?

A friend of mine is renting a room in a South Burnaby investment house that just got sold, and I pulled the title deed to find out who the new owners are. It turned out that the landlords (who lived downstairs) weren't the actual old owners, and the old owners had the student-with-99%-share / rich-dad-with-1%-share thing going on. It seems to be a fairly common thing.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

To bring this back on topic, does anyone know what the specific deal is with 99%/1% partial ownership? Like, what specific taxes is this meant to evade, and is it a legal or illegal loophole?

A friend of mine is renting a room in a South Burnaby investment house that just got sold, and I pulled the title deed to find out who the new owners are. It turned out that the landlords (who lived downstairs) weren't the actual old owners, and the old owners had the student-with-99%-share / rich-dad-with-1%-share thing going on. It seems to be a fairly common thing.

Try tweeting Ben rabidoux about it. I'm sure he'd be interested.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wonder what it's going to take before the government finally de-privatizes housing to make it affordable.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wonder what it's going to take before the government finally de-privatizes housing to make it affordable.

Nothing short of revolution. :gritin:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Often it's a condition of financing that the lender wants a rich person to secure the mortgage so they have to be on title but the beneficial ownership of the property is the poor kid.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Mantle posted:

Often it's a condition of financing that the lender wants a rich person to secure the mortgage so they have to be on title but the beneficial ownership of the property is the poor kid.

Oh yeah that makes sense. According to the title deed info, the house was bought on a mortgage, then refinanced five years later.

I'm guessing they also used the first home buyer's incentive for the student (their occupation on the title deed was listed as "kitchen helper").

OK, so I jumped down the rabbit hole and paid for some of the other documents to figure out what happened.

2011 -- original purchase, 100% in the student's name $1,103,000
2016 -- title transfer to give dad 1% ownership, so they can take a $1.85mil reverse mortgage at prime+6% :stare:
2019 -- sold for $1,620,000 to the new owners; new owners have a mortgage from TD for $1M at prime+10% :catstare:

So looking at this strictly as an investment, the first buyers made about a 6% annual return on the place ... except there were also transaction fees, plus interest on the mortgage, plus property tax. They *were* renting the place out, but they cannot have been getting more than a few thousand a month from that. My rough guess is that they weren't much ahead of inflation.

And the new buyers make no sense at all -- they're buying a property after the market peak, using a mortgage with 15.8% interest. Even if that's on a 10-year amortization, that's still another $1M in interest.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LMFAO, prime + 10% from TD.

And here I thought my 6% rate was tough.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How is prime +10% even legal holy poo poo

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

LMFAO, prime + 10% from TD.

And here I thought my 6% rate was tough.

For a mortgage that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Purgatory Glory posted:

For a mortgage that is.

I had to renew my mortgage in the fall of 2008 when it looked like credit itself might collapse, but a month before rates went to zero and everything was wonderful.

live and learn