Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dreylad posted:

OK so we're agreed Estonia is a member of NATO.

Meanwhile...

quote:

the Liberals unveiling a plan that they say addresses the issue. The plan announced this week would provide $125 million per year in tax incentives for developers and landlords

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

blah_blah posted:

As long as Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal remain more than a few dozen kilometers from Sand Hill Road in Palo Alto this isn't happening.

Tech companies here are at a gigantic disadvantage compared to their neighbors across the border because of network effects and a lack of VC funding. For technology companies to be competitive here, they need artificial advantages like a really really cheap dollar, comparatively lax immigration standards, and government subsidies. And, if you believe the companies themselves, stock options deductions, even though in most instances receiving stock is really no different than receiving ordinary income (and this is how it is treated in the US when I receive RSUs, for example).

What is the tech job market in canada like right now out of curiosity?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
e;

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 24, 2023

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
E:

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 24, 2023

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
e:

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 24, 2023

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Rime posted:

Yeah, actually. Say for the past ten years I'd taken my excess monthly income and, instead of blowing it on frivolous bullshit, put it in a savings account, I'd be able to buy a house almost anywhere in BC right now.

- Baseline living costs of $1100

- After-tax take-home of $2442 for 7 years. (pre-tax $36k-$38k, a very average wage anywhere in BC. Working class, to say the least).

This leaves us with, and let's leave some room to enjoy life, $1200 a month to sock away: That's $144k in savings over a decade if it's just sitting in a lovely 1.2% "high interest" savings account, rather than in something with marginally greater return like GIC or gently caress even just handed over to a mutual fund. The only place you'll come up short with that stockpile is a detached single family home in Vancouver or Toronto. Shockingly, it is, actually, really entitled to think you should be able to afford that kind of house in that kind of location, by 30, if you're making what are basically poverty wages in 2017.

But I also didn't save that money, nor did the vast majority of anyone else my age, because it's real loving easy to blow through a grand a month when you live in a Canadian city in your twenties.

Come off it, man, you can't hand wave away how much this generation has poo poo all over it's own bed and cried about it.

That's true. Cutting down on consumer spending has always been traditionally great for economies. Ballooning costs of shelter, transport, and other basic non-negotiable requirements in life causing people to cut expenditure elsewhere isn't a loving drain on an economy at all!

Watch this, and stop thinking of everything in terms of individual morality tales instead of aggregate outcomes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6vV8_uQmxs&t=2542s (at 42:22, he's talking reduced salaries but the same principle applies re: cutting expenditure)

People want to own their own property because rent is pissing money into the ether and most jobs are in the big cities. What are you even talking about dude?

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 21, 2017

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Might get the possibility of a remote option so I can get the gently caress out of Toronto. What's the most affordable actual city in Ontario for renting generally? London? Waterloo?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Oh no now where do I go to get a bloomberg.com rss feed but with racism

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

The sourced report is interesting too btw.

https://www.movesmartly.com/lessons-learned-from-toronto-2017-real-estate-bubble

Oops. Sorry.

Edit:

Holy poo poo. So speculators are STILL not paying attention. poo poo should be dropping like a rock with that many units in the pipe - and I don't have actual stats but there are a LOT of condos going up in Mississauga too.

Seriously, I bet a lot of speculators know and just think "i'll get out before the poo poo hits the fan". It's like a goddamn ponzi scheme.

Is there any chance of rental costs going down due to this or are the speculators just sitting on empty units?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Powershift posted:

And it will only take 140 years with current wage growth for wages to match up!

TD should get out in front of the trend and offer multi-generational mortgages.

TD should start offering actual indentured servitude contracts. Become a butler for a princeling so you can your very own hole to burrow in for the night.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Are there good resources to read/catch up on the worlwide real estate speculation crisis? This thread is good but I feel like the fuckery going on is global in scope and it'd be interesting to read about the major players and what's happening.

Here's stores shutting down in ny because speculators find vacancies more profitable:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/change-math-keeping-nyc-storefronts-vacant-article-1.3932715

https://gizmodo.com/full-bank-accounts-empty-storefronts-the-economics-of-1706993230

https://commercialobserver.com/2016/09/soaring-retail-rents-keep-vacancies-high-so-prices-should-come-down-right-maybe-not/

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 11, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The Sydney real estate bubble is collapsing. Hope for canada?

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/07/11/sydney-house-price-bubble-mortgage-market-royal-commission/

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Die you fuckers

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1024479711207084034

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

CI should get on twitter and then someone here could just link his vancouver RE tweets.

He needs to monetize his thing and reach greatness as a d-list twitter personality like another canadian former posting titan, getfiscal

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Oh, we rent a nice house - it's close to my wife's work, close to SkyTrain for me to get downtown. Modern appliances (SubZero fridge, etc.), great landlord, but our family has grown since we moved in, and we're ready to upgrade to something bigger with more room and with more accessible schools (our house is a hike to the nearest elementary school). Problem is anything we like is $1.6M, which is just insane considering the income required to afford such a thing. Now these houses aren't extreme luxury by any stretch, but are decent upper middle class sort of places. Given our incomes, we should be able to afford something like this, but the market is non-functional for anyone that didn't inherit massive wealth, or is a 1%er, or is bringing money in from overseas. Our rent is also really low by current standards, so finding something nicer is likely going to double our costs, but give us none of the security of tenure (landlord owns the house right next door) or a proportionally better place for the cost.

All to say the usual pathways that families were able to advance through for housing aren't accessible anymore, and there is a long way for the market to fall before we reconnect incomes to costs.

On a side note, I was listening to CBC Radio 1's town hall yesterday on the opioid crisis and the homelessness crisis on the DTES...where we are now is a logical outcome of treating housing as a commodity and allowing foreign money to distort the market. If families like mine, that twenty years ago used to live on the west side or North Vancouver are no longer able to, and we move to Burnaby/New Westminster, where are the people who used to live in Burnaby/New Westminster going to go? It's trickledown homelessness.

What's astonishing is that there's a national election in a month and this stuff that's impacting millions seems barely on the radar of priorities to talk about.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

sitchensis posted:

I'd love for it to happen, but it's a delusional fantasy to think that any public body will swoop in and buy up properties on the cheap in order to turn them into public housing ala Vienna.

Instead, the rich will purchase swaths of urban real estate and continue to bleed us all dry in their parasitic thirst for portfolio growth. Same as it ever was.

Fine with me. Turning 51+% of the population into rental serfs might finally lead to some loving political change.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is Scotiabank in deep poo poo?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

There's no hope is there huh. They'll never let housing become affordable again.

I should accelerate my plans to leave this place but idk where to go. The cheaper places in Canada probably don't have jobs for me so maybe leave the country entirely (after the pandemic), but loving where to lol.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

half cocaine posted:

:laugh: $10 more will send a family into debtors prison thanks trudeau

It's 210 more per month. That seems like a lot to me.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Dunno this bubble seems pretty invincible so far. Buy in or get out (of the country, which I hope to do when the pandemic recedes)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Where did you move to?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is it fair to say it's unlikely GTA non-condo houses are going to drop? I've seen a lot of condo construction which means supply has been going up somewhat, but if supply isn't budging for detached/semis/townhouses then what could force those down?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Generational analyses are silly. The great depression led to a massively strong labour movement that forced governments and capitalists into a wide range of things from building affordable/public housing to sharing more of the profit for labourers and so on. With the widespread devastation following WW2 and so much work to be done rebuilding the world, productivity gains and economic output growth allowed capitalists to share those profits with labour while maintaining their returns, but as the (western) world got mostly rebuilt by the 70s there was a profitability crisis. It turned out capitalism doesn't work if capitalists don't get theirs, throw in some oil shocks, and a huge revolt from above led to the neoliberal turn, capitalism and speculation unleashed and all the fun stuff we have today.

I totally believe that a large segment of boomers are selfish psychos but they're shaped by material circumstances just like other generations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What's a reasonable city in the country to be able to afford your own place with actual jobs available if remote jobs go away post pandemic? I've been looking at Kitchener/Waterloo, wondering if anyone else had recommendations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Alctel posted:

Gatineau

You can get 2 bedroom houses (with a basement apartment) for less than 300,000, and they are 10 minutes bike ride away from downtown Ottawa, along an excellent bike trail.

I was seriously considering getting one but was unsure about my employment (rightly as it turned out, as the '95% chance you'll get extended' fell through)

edit: this is 3 months ago prices so, probably out of date now

Thanks!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/1329464130017890310

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
There has to be some sort of reckoning lmao. We can't keep getting away with this!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Hasn't Japan kept interest rates at 0 for like 3 decades now or something, even going into effective negative rates for a while?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Maybe that’s why we still haven’t moved away from Monetarist policy to New Monetary Theory.

We have, it's just that the welfare goes to the rich to buy up and drive up asset prices.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The underlying thesis is still correct. There is no connection between wages and costs and the price of housing has been perverted by multiple factors that in a rational market, a correction would be expected. What we were all wrong on was the extent to which the Canadian government will backstop real estate by printing insane amounts of money through crashing interest rates.

When you look at debt levels in this country, we are in real trouble. Subnational debt is crazy high, personal debt is off the charts, and our industrial base is completely marginalized. We don’t produce enough of anything and we want the best of everything. Cheap debt is all that is keeping us afloat and the loonie will never be the world’s reserve currency. Oil is toast and money laundering isn’t that far behind either.

How anything other than financial chicanery justifies a duplex at $1.5 million is beyond me. How that constitutes ‘cheap’ is enough to make my head explode.

About the UK but I think big chunks of it apply to Canada as well: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/27/the-guardian-view-on-britain-out-of-the-eu-a-treasure-island-for-rentiers

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Flater posted:

We can't have a country where half of us are thrive by sucking the other half dry.

You absolutely can.

House prices to go up 30% this year.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

Despite the obvious flaws in the USA that a lot of Canadians are pretty familiar with, if you were to offer 100 world randos a greencard or a CDN PR I am fairly confident that the green card would be the more popular choice.

"Niagara, Ontario... you know you want to live here. *eyebrow waggle*" - Qhat's brochure pitch

That's just because of marketing. Having lived for a long time in both countries, America's fine if you're affluent but a nightmare compared to Canada if you're not.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Just trick someone into loving you and hope it's not the triple reverse maneuver where they trick you into loving them.

Boom, twice the income.

Also now they/you can't leave. Ever.

We need to transition as a society to arranged marriages and multigenerational households, housing crisis solved.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
That's not a particularly useful statement if most of NS's population is concentrated around Halifax.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

tagesschau posted:

It may very well be the case that Canada's housing bubble has already made us uncompetitive compared to the rest of the western world.

I got to the point where I think I would qualify as reasonably experienced and hireable in most places in my profession and everytime I feel we've reached the point of being able to to buy we get the floor yanked out from under us by another price rise. Everywhere's gone nuts that we've looked, from BC to smaller cities in ON to Halifax.

Where do you go outside of canada though? Other places in the western world from Norway to New Zealand seem to be suffering from the same poo poo.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What's so bad about halifax?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

Just so loving brutal and tone deaf. "We're handling growth just fine" says a mayor in a city that has built virtually no high density condo towers before or since.

I wonder how much worse it is now.

This country and the people who run it are trash lol

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

It is common for sellers to have an inspection done before offers in the GTA. Not all the time but it happens. That being said the people putting offers without a financing condition is probably even worse unless they have the actual cash to pay in full on closing.

Lol the first thing a realtor we talked to told us this year is to not have a financing condition when buying because we'd lose to other bids. I hate this country

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
This thread is 8 years old, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Speaking of, https://old.reddit.com/r/TorontoRealEstate/comments/lg4a58/where_were_the_desperate_buyers_back_in_october/

I don't know if FOMO from people wanting a home to live in is enough to explain the massive increase in demand in like just a few months, I feel like there must have been a massive inflow of speculative capital from somewhere