Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
That personal income graph graph is hilariously deceptive and dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
there is no bubble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teSDEaM8OvE

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

ah yes, those useless rural towns where people grow all of our food so that we can eat. if only everyone worked in a call centre and lived in the basement rental of an overextended lawyer in the big city, we would have a much more efficient economy

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Lexicon posted:

A rural town that grows food is not a useless rural town. What fraction of such places do this? Single digit percentage maybe?

hello im the loving idiot that doesnt understand geography, called lexicon

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

If even 10% of Canada's towns under 50K people are dominated by agriculture, I'll donate $100 to the charity of your choice.

I will find 500 other people who want to live on the edge of some random northern lake. We will move there. You will build and maintain roads, water, police and fire coverage, medical facilities, schools, banks, and phone access. Let me know when you're ready.

its cool that you cant prove any of this, on the other hand, you know, statistics canada and recorded history of the human race re: development of rural communities around farming

but let's just ignore all that because im a moron

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

hmm perhaps the decline of farming is linked to the decline of small communities??? makes you think

nah, that's too far fetched

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Haha, but seriously folks, gently caress small towns right up the rear end. Those fuckers are always asking for handouts for things like roads and water. Get with the goddamn times!!!

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Can't prove any of what? Fewer than 300K people work in agriculture in Canada (including corporate workers in big cities). In 2011 the rural population was 6M, where "rural" means in cities <1K people *and* lower density than 400 ppl/sqkm.

The vast majority of people in rural towns have nothing whatsoever to do with growing our food (even assuming that no agricultural products are exported). Certainly the people commuting from Barrie don't.

holy poo poo you're a loving retard lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Are you having a stroke?

do u know what a primary industry is lmao

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, so it's very unlikely that they dominate 10% of towns, I think.

hello, think mcfly, think

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

nice troll

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

we should start buying the mansions sitting on acres of useless land in the wealthiest neighbourhoods of toronto and vancouver and build subsidized housing towers

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

raze conrad blacks house and build high density townhouses for the poor

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

no my solution is reverse gentrification subdized housing is not automatically a slum you classist idiot

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Are you loving numbskulls too dumb to understand that you don't get better salaries, benefits, and pensions by telling everyone how good you have it and taking whatever your employer gives you because you're a grateful, gutless sack of poo poo?

No, you get that stuff by being an annoying thorn in the side of your boss, and taking what is yours from them.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

Teachers in Ontario get entire paid prep periods, it was part of their bargaining agreement. I didn't say my GF was doing that by the way, it was more my observation of some of her colleagues. That said there are many who work very hard and seem to genuinely care about the students.

Quite the opposite, I don't "hate" teachers. Her pension will be what carries us through retirement. I just hear a lot of complaints from teachers about how tough they have it and while I realize everyone bitches about their job and its all relative, they seem to have pretty attractive careers compared to private sector teachers and other industries. As Ikantski said though, it certainly makes the case for union representation.

jesus loving christ

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Brannock posted:

a tablet is probably a way better investment than buying 4-5 rapidly-outdated textbooks per student every few years, and has far, far more flexibility than a textbook could ever hope to do

lmfao

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

thats so loving stupid i dont know where to begin

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

RRSPs are more beneficial if you have high income that's highly taxed.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Housing bubbles last for decades this one's been going for like 20 years. Timing them is foolish

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Lol keep dreaming it's like 40 k in toronto

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

tagesschau posted:

You can gently caress off unless you can point to a plausible situation in which the city owns my building and I'm not worse off.

I hope you are worse off. I could not care less.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

And new construction drives up rents because they're always marketed as premium and luxury builds.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Just rent.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

I've discovered the simple joy of trolling landlords on Kijiji by lowballing them during an economic crises. Responses have varied from angry multiparagraph responses replete with spelling errors to "I know what I got bruh don't waste my time"

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

i think trudeau mumbled about building 5000000 units or something at one point. i cant even remember the bullshit at this point

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Slotducks posted:

"well if you're not having success in buying a place - what about renting?"

Oh where I have to pay utilities, and the rent is more than the mortgage for the place along with strict no pet rules as well?

hosed either way! Boy a sure love earning over median household income in Burlington and somehow being priced out of loving Hamilton and now Brantford.

Dude you have to pay utilities if you own a house too.. lol. The advantages of renting are many.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

I really hope all the low income landlords out there are going to survive this Christmas :worried: .

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Sounds a lot like... Reverse racism

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Rich boomers buying their kids houses isn't exactly news dude.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

half cocaine posted:

I now understand why we can't do anything that would reduce the value of land. Imagine the number of lives that would be ruined. The only way to make housing "affordable" is to make it smaller, more dense. We need to make banks lend to borrowers with long amortization rates so their monthly payments are as small as possible.

You're drunk stephen go home

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Why don't you just keep renting, find something that's not likely to go up for sale where you'll have a reasonable expectation of security of tenancy

This has to be like the absolute worst time to buy

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

It is common for sellers to have an inspection done before offers in the GTA. Not all the time but it happens. That being said the people putting offers without a financing condition is probably even worse unless they have the actual cash to pay in full on closing.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Defenistrator posted:

Also hate to double post. But this thread has been ongoing now for 13 years. And since 14 years ago y'all have been screaming there is a bubble.

Newsflash, there is no bubble. Money is cheap, inflation is a lie because it doesn't factor in assets, and your GDP PC is going to sink.

You what this means? A lot of people will be able to afford these crazy prices, just not you. And noone is gonna give a poo poo about you.

So get your down payments, your real estate license spread it out and flip. Because housing is only going to get more insane as climate change makes Toronto more temperate.

Edit: I also hate the pessimism of these forums. My biggest mistake has been thinking the negative attitudes have been valid and wise points. They have not been. Y'all were so pessimistic about crypto, weed stocks, Amazon, and so on... The list just goes on and on.

Yeah attitudes like this are what's driving prices through the roof.

In reality prices declined in the GTA from 2017 to when the pandemic hit. Only now are they rebounding.

It's easy to just throw your hands up and say it's always the worst time to buy!! But that just isn't true.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Even the primary residence exemption needs to go. People would think twice about making real estate their retirement plan if they got taxed on it like everything else.

Even the us doesn't have a full primary residence exemption. They more progressive on this than we are.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Booourns posted:

All you need is a new job that pays twice as much as the old one while not requiring any major life changes

Also graduate from university and immediately start saving money, instead of immediately start paying off your massive debt

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Sassafras posted:

Also: Trying to get wife's mother's place listed since she's roughly 80 and lives hours away from everybody else in the family (used to be other relatives there, but they've left/died, as have most elderly friends).

Just on the rumour that she's selling it with a ballpark figure in mind 10% higher than an October comparable in the same gated community, three interested bidders have presented themselves.

The question is whether to just take a quick offer before she can change her mind or to actually go open market.

One big big problem is that s he's frickin' nuts (dementia, most likely) and liable to sign nearly anything she's presented with which, coincidentally, is how her father (wife's grandfather) sold a house for 100k below market to flippers going door to door a couple decades ago before anyone else knew what had happened.

Someone should have power of attorney over her affairs.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

I think that graph is bullshit

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

tagesschau posted:

If you're going to claim that numbers from FRED are "bullshit," maybe you should provide your reasoning.

My reasoning is it's a graph presented with no context on an internet forum from some place called 'fred'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Sorry my mistake. FRED. capital letters = authority