Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Baked salmon (in delicious butter with spring onions) with avocado and hollandaise sauce. Served with roasted sweet potato, a turkish roll and parmesan-coated asparagus and mushrooms. Perfect food for starting the 5-day weekend binge of football...

That looks good.. we have a small avocado tree in our back yard that I planted a few years ago. The seed was from an avocado tree from my backyard where I grew up in Miami and those fuckers were football size. If these get to be half the size as what we grow in Miami I would be ecstatic. Avocados for all!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I feel like I need to go somewhere and eat more (and better avocados). The Mid-Atlantic coast isn't exactly known for it's locally sourced avocados.

Here's content- not last night's pizza, as I ate that one too quickly, but last weeks. Using homemade dough and a 3-1 mozzarella to feta cheese mix.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
My first and very humble contribution to this thread, Guinness Beef stew which has been simmering for 2.5 hours. I cannot believe how great this tastes. It will go nicely with some fava beans and broccoli covered in a creamy roux.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Palpatine MD posted:

My first and very humble contribution to this thread, Guinness Beef stew which has been simmering for 2.5 hours. I cannot believe how great this tastes. It will go nicely with some fava beans and broccoli covered in a creamy roux.

Are you stealing Chef John's recipes too? :D

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Stealing?? How about improving.. that looks tasty.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

demonR6 posted:

Stealing?? How about improving.. that looks tasty.

I dunno, Chef John's looks pretty good...

http://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/

The first post there. Yes I am shamelessly plugging a fantastic man.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Palpatine MD posted:

goddamn that looks really dark and incredibly rich

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Tried my hand at making masoor dal and chana masala from scratch...turned out pretty good.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Sweet and sour peanut tofu with spinach, black beans, and water chestnuts.

Moroccan stew with roasted cauliflower, roasted sweet potato, kale, and chickpeas.

Roasted parsnip, green apple, potato, and leek soup.

Lemon/blueberry chess pie.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Sweet and sour peanut tofu with spinach, black beans, and water chestnuts.

What went into the sweet and sour peanut sauce?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Vlex posted:

What went into the sweet and sour peanut sauce?

Honey, rice wine vinegar, and PB. More or less followed this recipe. It's a slightly strange combination of ingredients, overall, but we enjoy it.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Niavmai posted:

I'm a religious Chef John follower but did not use his exact recipe for mine.

It's roughly the same, but I added 3 tablespoons of Ketjap Manis (sweet soy sauce) for an extra depth of sweet flavor.
Also my beef chuck was browned in real butter instead of bacon fat, and didn't bother with celery, but did add a bay leaf.

This is one of those dishes that tastes exactly how it looks. Ultimate comfort food.

Palpatine MD fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 16, 2013

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Woo made pot pies yay!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

iajanus posted:

Woo made pot pies yay!

unf those look good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Niavmai posted:

This is sort of my standard beef stew recipe but instead of the tomato paste using some stilton really adds to it. Gives it a nice gloss and really complements the flavour.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Vege cottage pie

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

GrAviTy84 posted:

unf those look good.

The better part was that I slow cooked the filling so for 8 hours I got to enjoy the smell. Also the gravy was guinness based :getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Had a little Italian dinner party.

Mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto, with a dusting of dried basil since my basil plants all appear to be dead for good.

Garlic bread. Blitzed a shitload of garlic with some shallots, a little olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, and butter, cooked that about five minutes and cooled to spread on and melt in the oven. I'd never put in shallots before, it worked well. And here garlic bread is always covered with honey and sugar so it was the first time my Korean friends had had it properly done.

Blurry-rear end linguine alla amatriciana, unfortunately with mere bacon since I can't get pancetta or guanciale.

Tortellini and ravioli with a pork shoulder bolognese. It came out sort of like pulled pork: the pasta sauce, was nice.

And a vanilla/lemon panna cotta with blueberry and strawberry coulises.

There were also chicken cutlets my friend made that were quite good but I take no credit for. And some roasted eggplant with the world's worst picture so no need to see that. Was snapping quick shots while serving.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Been feeling under the weather. Made some red lentils cooked in coconut milk with curry powder, red pepper flakes and garlic. Added peas and chicken. Should have added spinach but didn't. Consumed the good bits of a couple fried eggs over top. It was comforting.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Grand Fromage posted:

And here garlic bread is always covered with honey and sugar

:catstare:

What?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All food must be sweet in Korea. Doubly so for Koreanized versions of western food.

At Costco's food court they have the usual condiment table with onions/relish/ketchup/mustard, as well as a bottle of corn syrup for Koreans to put on their hot dogs and pizzas.

There are good restaurants that make authentic food too, but if you go to a Koreanized Italian place or buy garlic bread at a Korean bakery, it's going to be shiny glazed with sugar/honey/syrup/whatever. My Korean friends didn't even know that garlic bread isn't supposed to be sweet.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

kinmik posted:

Spaghetti bread. My husband loved this, the only thing I liked was how wonderfully al dente the spaghetti remained. SubG, I didn't do your French bread recipe justice because I made it all on the same day. :saddowns:

Would eat the poo poo out of this. With meatballs.

zomgitsoreo
Dec 28, 2012

Palpatine MD posted:

This actually sounds quite amazing. I might have to give it a shot here sometime soon.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

a bottle of corn syrup for Koreans to put on their hot dogs and pizzas.

I might be coming across as ignorant of Korean food culture, but this concept plus how Korea approaches kimchi with a reverence coming close to religion is making me all :psyduck:

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

iajanus posted:

The better part was that I slow cooked the filling so for 8 hours I got to enjoy the smell. Also the gravy was guinness based :getin:
Guinness really does wonders in the kitchen. It is also nice to drink while cooking.

zomgitsoreo posted:

This actually sounds quite amazing. I might have to give it a shot here sometime soon.
You really should. Don't be put off when you first put the Guinness in, it will smell and taste less than nice. The flavors will come together after hours of simmering and make for a magical stew.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

lovely blurry camera photo because my digital camera died literally the moment I turned it on. I technically didn't make it, my father did.

Not the most appetizing looking thing, right? I bet you might be wondering what it is (because of the blur)! Well, it's an egg muffin with a bacon wrap and a little sausage inside for good measure. Totals about 180ish calories per, give or take a little.

I did low carb/keto last year and recently started it again, and a co-worker of my dad's is doing a cyclical keto diet. He's started on it too because, well, he's a hefty man and we got results. His co-worker recommended this recipe to him. Started off by lining each muffin cup with 2 strips of pre-cooked bacon (I prefer cooking it fresh but he's lazy) and adding a bit of sausage to the center in the bottom. He then took 18 eggs, beat them, distributed them over 12 muffin cups (1.5 eggs per) and baked them for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I expected them to turn into ugly little disks of egg like you'd see on a McMuffin, but nope, they puffed up like a real muffin does. Apparently before I saw them they even had proper muffin tops, but they settled down a bit. After I got over the initial 'that looks kinda gross' feeling and tried it, wow, they taste fuckin' great. Apparently goes good with mushrooms or cheese too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That seems like an unnecessarily complicated way of making an omelet.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That seems like an unnecessarily complicated way of making an omelet.

You're right, it pretty much is. But it's also much more portable and easier to make in batches. He's making these to take to work in the morning for breakfast, though.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

anakha posted:

I might be coming across as ignorant of Korean food culture, but this concept plus how Korea approaches kimchi with a reverence coming close to religion is making me all :psyduck:

That and putting corn and pickles on pizza...

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

sweet_jones posted:

Reminds me of Dominos' "Gangster Special" I saw in Thailand: corn, sliced maki roll, and "salad cream" (mayo). I laughed my rear end off. The Thai are also fond of putting very sweet ketchup all over their American foods, like pizza and KFC.

I feel I should add content so as not to derail.

Tangerine-soy applewood grilled pork cutlets with mashed sweet potatoes. Spinach salad with white balsamic & olive oil, roasted orange bell pepper, and fresh mozzarella. Pardon my bottle of fish oil and plastic Steak & Shake water cup (so fancy!).

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beef Stroganoff

Bean Stroganoff

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Went to a party over the weekend for lots of people with potentially not enough to eat so I brought lots of food: vegan cookies and tabbouleh.

It turned out we did have enough to eat so I have 1/3rd of that tabbouleh left and a shitton of cookies which I'm eating right now and which I will probably keep eating until I get a stomach ache.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hob_Gadling posted:

Beef Stroganoff

Bean Stroganoff

Tell me about the things that look like pickles in there. I've never heard of that and am intrigued.

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Oh my god, why did I take the whole bottle of pills?
Had my first attempt at making a pizza from scratch in my oven at home today, realised too late that what I thought was tomato sauce defrosting was actually chilli, but rolled with it anyway.

Needed to heat the oven hotter still and heat the pan I was using as a pizza stone more as the base wasn't quite crisp enough, but it tasted good.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Made Lentil Taco's, based on this recipe: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.nl/2012/04/lentil-tacos-743-recipe-093-serving.html
In short, it's spicey lentils with onions and garlic, topped with some pico de gallo and sour creme,
and a couple of slices of avocado (so, sans the cilantro, and with slightly different lentils)
Posting it, as this was surprisingly tasty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sweet_jones posted:

Banana is a typical Scandinavian topping I've learned

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

Tell me about the things that look like pickles in there. I've never heard of that and am intrigued.

They're pickles, added with a drop of wine and sour cream 5 minutes before the meat was done. Seems to be a Scandinavian thing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Scott Bakula posted:

Banana is a typical Scandinavian topping I've learned
When I was a child I used to dip bananas into pizza sauce.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I thought I'd try my hand at searing tuna using my cast iron pan. I think it turned out OK for the most part. The middle section of the meat wasn't even at room temperature, but it tasted so good that I just kept chomping. I'm not sure if you can get sick from raw tuna, but I feel like I dodged a bullet. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably sear for about 50 seconds each side assuming the same thickness (did 32 seconds each side).

Severed fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Decided to get on the beef & Guinness stew :bandwagon: what with it being St. Patty's day and all. It ended up being a little soupy which might be because I did it in the slow cooker instead of on the stovetop like the recipe suggested. Served with colcannon (mashed potatoes with rutabaga and kale) and more Guinness, naturally.

• Locked thread