Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That looks boss.

I really should do some research on sushi grade fish in North Jersey. I'm sure best bet is probaby NYC, maybe Fort Lee.

By "sushi grade" do you mean "frozen" ?

Because sushi grade had no real meaning and the only way to kill parasites properly is to cook or freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Severed posted:

I thought I'd try my hand at searing tuna using my cast iron pan. I think it turned out OK for the most part. The middle section of the meat wasn't even at room temperature, but it tasted so good that I just kept chomping. I'm not sure if you can get sick from raw tuna, but I feel like I dodged a bullet. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably sear for about 50 seconds each side assuming the same thickness (did 32 seconds each side).

Raw runa is fine. 50 seconds isn't going to do much more than 32 seconds.

If I was going to do that again, I'd sear it with nothing on it and then top it with sesame or whatever afterwards, you want to get everything all crispyish.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

demonR6 posted:

I am sure you can make a variety of cheeses but realistically can you make all the standard fare without it being super complicated and requiring a trip to some supply to buy fancy implements that will clog up my kitchen cupboards more than they already are? I love the hell out of cheese and this is a good idea I think to start a thread even if I can only live vicariously through your cheese exploits.

It's not complicated, but you're going to need rennet and cultures if you're going to make most cheeses. Just pick them up online somewhere for cheap.

kinmik posted:

Yes, I know the plate is fugly as hell

That looks great and that plate is absolutely hideous.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

greth posted:

What do you use for the 'meat' in your veg Skyline?

Beans.

:can:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Akito12345 posted:

I made some green curry and a friend brought over their super nice camera so of course we made a video.:shobon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhZ-wjXZmiI

This video was great but the end where you basically say "okay welp also boil a shirmp or something I guess" is somehow accidentally hilarious.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Your steak isn't thick enough to Ducasse.

Doh: that looks awesome.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Pork chop, collards, mac+cheese

Did you torch that plant tentacle for aromatic effect?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ahaha that steak looked big when you posted it in IRC, but you ate a (very nice looking) 26oz steak for dinner?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CrushedWill posted:

His food does look amazing but there is something going on with how the pics are saturated that I can't duplicate with photoshop.

I'm not saying its not possible, I am saying I have no clue how to do it :(

It's probably just that he uses a really expensive camera.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You could maybe get a fish sauce that isn't terrible and then stop being a big baby that eats bland food I guess.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

psychokitty posted:

I've seen Rome twice through; can I post about how creepy Octavian is?

In all seriousness, though, the smell of fish sauce on its own has literally caused me to vomit, so I'm not too keen on opening up a bottle of it even for a splash in a recipe. If someone else does it in their kitchen, then gives it to me in something wonderful, that's fine.

Mix every part of the sauce except for the fresh veggies ahead of time, it'll store, combined, forever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

whoaaaaaaa. God I feel like I'd gain ten pounds from this dish. I must have a recipe.

That marg pizza looks really swell too. Lots of good stuff on this page!!

This is the best stroganoff ever

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Ive wanted to try this for some time now, but want to make the effort of sourcing ingredients go far. Does the cheese sauce freeze/keep well?

You need the iota carrageenan if you want to freeze it. If you're not going to freeze it, the sodium citrate is all you need.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just use a cheap stainless pan.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shrapnac posted:

72 hour? Was there any chewing involved at that point?

Sous-vide. I hope.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

iajanus posted:

Ribeye. My wife refuses to eat anything below medium-well, so when she's away it's time to have as much delicious rare steak as possible!

I really like super rare steaks, but I find rare ribeye awful. Medium-rare or even medium for that cut, for me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

copen posted:

Magic I made a consommé raft with two quarts of my chicken stock. Then simmered with charred ginger, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorn, coriander seed, star anise, lots of fish sauce, and cilantro stems for like an hour to make a pho broth

Agar clarification is way easier!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

did you cook that in butter?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dry your steak more and use more oil when you sear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Appl posted:

OK, hand pies redeemed by hilarious sign.

Yep, those ridiculous hand pies totally own.

• Locked thread