Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Aragon under Sicily! William can be given Provence when the queen dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Overextension? what overextension? Institute Primogeniture, unify the crowns.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Unite Sicily and Aragon. While Egypt is rich and will make us strong, it is likely still mostly non-Catholic and will draw our resources forever eastward. We are not the old empire, able to support such ventures and still gain ground in the west. The North Africans and the Iberians can band together powerfully, particularly if the Almoravids join in, so it would be wise to consolidate our position.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Roger inherits as the rightful heir, the law of the land must be upheld! But being lawful does not mean that need hold onto far-off foreign lands; King Roger is a charitable fellow, and surely he will figure out a manageable set-up of the d'Hauteville realms.

Forget not, oh noble curia, that Robert of Jerusalem is a claimant to Sicily. We should not alienate both crusader realms, for should they press their claims and we fend one off, we may find ourselves unable to fend off the other. Law. Stability. Roger.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

William!

Four D'hauteville states, one for Spain, one for Egypt, another for the Holy Land and another... for Italy!

Oh god please don't let out Crusader states take Mecca, that always happens when there's both Egypt and Jerusalem.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Voting Institute Succession by Thunderdome

Inheritance via Thunderdome, It sounds like the most VikingNormanSicilian way of operating.

Should that prove, problematic for the future survival of the D'Hauteville line, the crown should be chosen via a complex lottery of the three sons, which should be rightfully rigged to say William.

Also, it seems like the perfect time to refocus on Spain, what with France making a fool of itself.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
North Africa! Don't stop until all the Mediterranean coastlines are in the hands of the d'Hautvilles.

Pax Normana!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Let William Inherit Sicily.

With not only Jerusalem in good hands, but soon even Egypt ruled by d'Hautvilles in the future, the Holy Land has what it needs to be retaken in the name of Christ our saviour. Giving future assistance to one another, Egypt and Jerusalem should be able to deal with the heathens on their own. And with Aragon soon to be an ally as well, I would rather see the Catalan branch of the d'Hautvilles having a go at it with our assistance rather than staking a claim on the lands for ourselves. While I would like to see the Belares kept in the hands of the Sicilian Crown, if the people of the world won't be swayed about our supremacy over the islands then so be it. A war against our own blood is naught to be sought for a few pieces of land, strategic as they may be.

We in Sicily have more to do. The Greeks still try to claim the supremacy over land that should be ours. In northern Africa the moon of Islam still flies. The northern part of the peninsula is still reigned by Italian noblemen rather than by proper Norman blood. And Corsica still carries the Pisan flag rather than our own. We have our own enemies and targets, closer to us than both the Holy Land and Iberia. Rather than shoving our nose where it is no longer needed for mere glory, why not securing our lands properly for the future? Securing our hold on the lands coveted by us? The trade through the Adriatic, Ionian, Tyrrhenian and Ligurian seas needs to be secured for the future prosperity of Sicily, Greeks and Lombards be damned!

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Roger inherits as the rightful heir, the law of the land must be upheld! But being lawful does not mean that need hold onto far-off foreign lands; King Roger is a charitable fellow, and surely he will figure out a manageable set-up of the d'Hauteville realms.

Forget not, oh noble curia, that Robert of Jerusalem is a claimant to Sicily. We should not alienate both crusader realms, for should they press their claims and we fend one off, we may find ourselves unable to fend off the other. Law. Stability. Roger.

This has convinced me where before I was on the fence. For Roger!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

King Robert

Mostly because the more we get involved in the east, the more likely we'll be crushed by the Mongols. That, and Spain is a nice starting point for any colonial ventures.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Can't we have all three?

Have an 'accident' happen to queen Yvon, marry the grieving widower Roger to the queen of Aragon, and as soon as he inherits go for North Africa.

There is no way this can backfire :downs:

HrungTheGi
Oct 30, 2012
Norman rulers named William have a pretty good track record for taking overseas territory, so we should expand into Africa next. Then start moving up Italy...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
William, it certainly seems fairest to let each of the sons have a kingdom of his own, be it by marriage or inheritance (also it's more fun if you blob less, family-feud type wars are hilarious and you can always marry him to a genius or some Italian claimant...)

E: The one we choose also inherits Provence, right?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 18, 2013

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Sicily is not the same as barbaric northern countries where the eldest son inherits no matter how much of a useless bastard he may be. In Sicily the father chooses the son most suited to ruling, and that is what has brought our nation to greatness. Robert has no more of a claim on the throne than his other brothers, and we should choose the heir to the kingdom based on merit alone.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Patter Song posted:

Blood Tanistry is best Tanistry.

Barring the introduction of Blood Tanistry (is it even an option in CK2+, under any name?), Robert Inherits and we stick with a Spanish focus.

It's called Open succession, duh.

Also, voting for Robert.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Aragon for Sicily.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Voting William, trying to play in character.

Our illustrious king seems like the type who would try to do right by his three sons, and making each of your sons a full-fledged KING is a baller move that only the proudest of fathers can make.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Robert isn't going to be a king with any real power though, he'll basically be a concubine of his wife, the true ruler of Aragon. Would you really doom our secondborn to such a humiliating fate, with no lands of his own to rule?

vvv Womanlover! :argh:

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 18, 2013

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yes?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yes.

William. Three sons, three kings.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
William.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Another vote for Robert.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Elaborating after I went to bed:

Robert is going to be fine with being the king of Aragon. He's both slothful AND content. He doesn't want the responsibility of ruling, but he could still use the prestige. And maybe someday, he'll have a son of his own, and he'll have the responsibility of a crown. Really, I'm just trying to give our sons what they might want.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Sindai posted:

Yes.

William. Three sons, three kings.

To remove empty quoting, let's spread the name around. No need to blob the crowns, let's have a d'Hautville hugfest around the Med! (Feuds in the family are so much more fun.)

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
+1 for William.

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

William!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'm also for William and trying to get our dynasty on as many thrones as possible. I'm also all for having a stab at North Africa and weakening the drive to rpimogeniture for now.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
I just want to apologize quickly for the break in updates. Between the end of my Masters program and two illnesses in a row (including near-constant headaches that make it hard to use the computer most of the time), I haven't had much time to work on the LP. Feel free to continue to vote if there's anyone who hasn't yet. I'll try to have the State of the World update up as soon as I can, and the next real update soon after that.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

I'll just go ahead and vote for Robert, I hear Spain is nice this time of the year.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
State of the World (1150)

In England, the uneasy peace between the Norman royals and Norwegian nobles has shown surprising resiliency.

King Bohemond, while not quite a match for his namesake, has proven himself surprisingly competent at keeping his realm together despite his reportedly unpleasant nature.

France, on the other hand, has not been nearly as stable. With the Occitan revolt and constant German incursions, the French crown is as weak as it has ever been.

With the abdication of his father Rorgues ‘the Bewitched’, King Renaud II has taken the throne. Whether he proves a more capable ruler than his grandfather and namesake Renaud ‘Priest-Hater’ remains to be seen.

In Aquitaine, however, there is no doubt as to the competence of Duchess Rosalind, the brilliant woman who led her subjects in revolt against the French crown.

Though the last half-century has been a good one for the Holy Roman Empire, it is currently in the midst of a significant revolt.

Few doubt the capabilities of the wise Kaiser Bernhard, however. It is under his long rule that the Germans have recovered much of the land lost under the previous emperors.

In addition, the emperor’s cause is helped by the fact that the revolt is led by the mad heretic Berthold of Alsace, a thoroughly dreadful man despised even by those who have joined his revolt out of political convenience.

In Iberia, change is slow, though the inheritance of Aragon by another member of House d’Hauteville could shift the balance of the power.

At the moment, the most prominent Christian ruler is still King Oveco of Leon, Galicia, and Navarra.

Recently, Sweden has been the ascendant of the Scandinavian powers, gaining land in both Norway and Finland. The Norwegian crown, on the other hand, is on the brink of falling apart.

The Russian princes, though frequently at war, rarely seem to gain much land or power in the long term. To their south, though, a Crimean Khanate has split away from the rest of the Cumans.

Byzantine efforts to reclaim Anatolian territory have all failed miserably, but their remaining lands seem stable enough for the moment.

That may change soon, however, as trouble is brewing over the emperor’s embrace of beliefs the Patriarch has deemed heretical.

The Greeks’ Turkish enemies are not faring much better, with the realm currently in the midst of another civil war.

Sultan Tanrivermis has demonstrated himself capable so far, however, and most expect him to crush the revolt.

Further south, the crusaders of Egypt have wiped out the last Fatimid holdouts and the royal line has disappeared, leaving Shia Muslims without a caliph. In addition, Egyptian expeditions to the east have put the two great crusader kingdoms into conflict once again.

With the celebrated King Robert still on the throne of Jerusalem, few doubt that the senior crusader state will have the upper hand.

Ledger

Religions

The Most Prestigious Characters

The Most Pious Characters

The Largest States

The Largest Armies

World Map

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I'm really curious how the Countess of Rogaland became so pious.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Walliard posted:

I'm really curious how the Countess of Rogaland became so pious.

She's possessed by Jesus (she has the Possessed trait with the Voice of Jesus modifier). She has all seven virtues in addition to Zealous. Richard just can't compete with that, sadly.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Fourteen: Tunis (1150-1159)

Duke Guy succeeds in gathering the support of the Curia Regis, and King Richard finally relents. Prince William is named the heir to the Kingdom of Sicily. It is Guy’s last major act as Emir of Emirs, however, as he passes away in his sleep not long after.

Richard is upset at the death of his lifelong friend and advisor, and spares no expense in commemorating Guy’s life, holding a great tournament in his honour and dedicating several new construction projects to the late duke.

Among the new construction projects are many churches and cathedrals – another indicator of the king’s zeal, along with his missionary efforts in Spain.

For this and for his patient, steady rule, his subjects begin to call him Richard the Wise, despite the follies of his youth.

For his part, Richard is eager to atone for what he sees as the mistakes of his past. He finds that some old enemies are not willing to forgive and forget, however.

As young Prince William grows into manhood, he demonstrates a greater interest in and aptitude for warfare than his father, signalling that King Richard’s relative pacifism will probably not last beyond his death.

According the arrangements made by Guy before his death, Prince Robert is married to the Queen of Aragon, most likely securing another kingdom for House d’Hauteville.

Prince William, on the other hand, is betrothed to a young French princess well outside the likely line of succession.

Though Richard is not yet an old man, his health is already beginning to deteriorate, perhaps due to the poor health he suffered earlier in his life.

With the king in poor health and Guy dead, much of the responsibility for the realm devolves onto Richard’s close advisors, including his brothers Roger and Bohemond, as well as the Duke of Capua.

Citing Guy’s long-held desire to invade Tunis and taking advantage of the king’s poor health, they finally convince him to sanction a war against the Zirids.

A massive army is assembled, led by the Duke of Capua and several Sicilian Arabs loyal to the Normans.

Tunis falls quickly, the Zirid army having been decimated by war with their North African neighbours.

The crucial port of Mahdia falls next, securing control of the Tunisian coast for Sicily.

With the death of the sultan the Zirids are left in disarray, the young sultan being forced to flee to their eastern holdings.

Young Sultan Jaffar quickly surrenders, ceding control of the Tunisian coast to the Normans.

It is decided that Prince William should oversee the newly-conquered territory to prepare him to rule Sicily.

Control of Tunis in addition to Sardinia ensures a great degree of Sicilian control over marine traffic through the central Mediterranean.

Though he is not particularly happy with the invasion of Tunis, Richard contents himself by spending yet more money – including the proceeds of the successful invasion – on new building projects in Palermo.

Interesting news comes from the north, too, when it is announced that Pope Callixtus II has elevated the Duchy of Aquitaine to the level of a kingdom. In addition, Duke Biagio of Lombardia is crowned King of Serbia in honour of his Balkan holdings.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, the world misses the second coming of Jesus because he came back as a woman. Go figure. And hey, we got Tunisia, how about that?

I love that the preeminent Muslim power is called Rum.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Man that is one massive Sultanate of Rum, they could make for an interesting rival in the east.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Other than Rum the Muslims seem to be getting their asses kicked in this game, I hope they manage to keep things interesting and don't get broken up in a stupid succession war.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Primary title Kingdom of Mann and the Isles is the best kingdom. Even if he doesn't have all of the Isles anymore.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 12, 2013

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I hope all these Hauteville's spread across the mediterranean lead to a series of petty claim and counter-claim wars between them.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I just want to see the kingdom of Aquitaine survive; I've never had a game where they were able to hold off the French (although that might have something to do with all the Cathars...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
I'd like to see Christian Egypt and Jerusalem make a go of things and start taking over the Middle East. I've only played CK1 (a long time ago at that), but don't crusader kingdoms basically get the support of the entire Christian world if they're attacked?

• Locked thread