Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Hello and welcome to Kingdom in the Sun.

So what’s this?

This is a Paradox Mega-LP, meaning it is going to cover two or more of Paradox Interactive's grand strategy games. If you’re not already familiar with the proud tradition of Paradox LPs, there are plenty of great examples. I’d recommend Wiz’s Hohenzollern and Azerbaijan LPs in particular, as they are the main inspiration for this one. If you want to learn more about Paradox games in general, there’s also the Paradox Mega-Thread.

I’m getting a sudden sense of déjà vu…

That’s probably because I already started this LP once before. Unfortunately, due to some poor updating decisions, the save became unplayable and the LP had to end. I resolved to restart the LP eventually, and that’s exactly what I’m doing now, although it took me a lot longer than originally intended.

You might even notice that some of the writing, at least at the very beginning, is copied from the old LP. This will disappear pretty quickly, however, as things diverge.

How will this be different from other Paradox Mega-LPs/CK2 LPs?

Well, it's the first Mega-LP on Something Awful to start with Crusader Kings II, for starters. As the newest Paradox game, CK2 is in a certain sense the star of show, and since it's also the first game we'll be playing, it's the one I'm going to talk about most for now.

Like most Mega-LPs, this LP is going to focus on the historical narrative that can develop in Crusader Kings II (and Paradox games in general) rather than on gameplay mechanics. For a more mechanical take on Crusader Kings II, I’d recommend Kersch’s LP (although it may be a little outdated by now). There’s also the CK2 Thread.

I’ll also be making significant modifications to the base game, mainly in the form of the excellent CK2 Plus mod, made by the aforementioned Wiz and incorporating many improvements created by not only by Wiz but other talented modders as well (and occasionally untalented modders like myself). Wiz has graciously given me permission to use his mod for this LP.

Those who have played CK2 Plus might notice a few changes right off the bat, including a slightly altered starting situation in Southern Italy. I have changed a few things about the starting scenario to better simulate, in my estimation, the historical situation in Southern Italy at the time, as well as make the start more interesting.

What about audience participation?

There will be audience participation, but I’m not planning on having any direct voting to begin with. I do encourage informal audience participation, however, and the tenor of discussion in the thread is likely to influence my decisions in-game. As the LP goes on, audience participation will get a little more official (if you were around for the last LP, I plan to introduce the Curia Regis at around the same point in the story).

Which other Paradox games will be played?

My current plan is to continue the game into EU3 for sure. After that, I’m not sure, and it largely depends on whether there’s a mod I like for Victoria 2 (currently there’s not, but that could change) and how difficult it is for me to convert the save.

Who are we playing as?

We’re going to be starting off as Robert “Guiscard” d’Hauteville, the greatest of the Norman conquerors of Sicily and the Mezzogiorno. Robert is a favourite historical figure of mine (he’s the guy pictured in my avatar), and I happen to know a fair bit about Norman Sicily, which will hopefully help me write the narrative. Most importantly, the Duchy of Apulia is one of the more interesting and enjoyable starts in the game.

Chapter One: Prologue (1066)
Chapter Two: Palermo (1067-68)
Chapter Three: Jewel of the Mediterranean (1069-1074)
Chapter Four: Coronation (1075-1084)
Chapter Five: Consolidation (1085-1086)
Chapter Six: Succession (1087-1094)
Chapter Seven: The Kingdom of God (1095-1099)
State of the World (1100)
Chapter Eight: Bohemond the Great (1100-1109)
Chapter Nine: The Valencian Crusade (1110-1117)
Chapter Ten: Arish and Rafah (1118-1122)
Chapter Eleven: The Young King (1123-1127)
Chapter Twelve: The Fall of Cairo (1128-1136)
Chapter Thirteen: Man of Peace (1137-1149)
State of the World (1150)
Chapter Fourteen: Tunis (1150-1159)
Chapter Fifteen: Daughters-in-Law (1160-1169)
Chapter Sixteen: The Three Williams (1170-1175)
Chapter Seventeen: The King's Justice (1176-1185)
Chapter Eighteen: Scholar and Adulterer (1186-1199)
State of the World (1200)
Chapter Nineteen: La Lingua Siciliana (1200-1207)
Chapter Twenty: Out of the Orient (1208-1219)
Chapter Twenty-One: Primogeniture (1220-1224)
Chapter Twenty-Two: Behind Every Great Man (1225-1233)
Chapter Twenty-Three: Imperium (1234-1236)
Chapter Twenty-Four: No Peace for the Wicked (1237-1239)
Chapter Twenty-Five: Mare Catholicam (1240-1249)
State of the World (1250)
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Partition (1250-1253)
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Romance of the Three Kingdoms (1254-1263)
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Queens of Sicily (1264-1276)
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Mothers and Daughters (1277-1285)
Chapter Thirty: Betrayal (1286-1299)
State of the World (1300)
Chapter Thirty-One: Golden Years (1300-1326)
Chapter Thirty-Two: A Kingdom Restored (1327-1336)
Chapter Thirthy-Three: The Heretic Emperor (1337-1349)
State of the World (1350)
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Iron Crown (1350-1354)
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Alpine Wars (1355-1366)
Chapter Thirty-Six: Roberto's Ambition (1367-1372)
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Fragmentation (1373-1380)
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Maidar Khan (1381-1399)
State of the World (1400)
Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Calm (1400-1416)
Chapter Forty: The Storm (1417-1418)
Chapter Forty-One: The Maelstrom (1419-1420)
Chapter Forty-Two: The Meaning of Death (1421-1430)
Chapter Forty-Three: The Last Crusade (1431-1438)
Chapter Forty-Four: On The Brink (1439)
Chapter Forty-Five: The Two Crowns (1440-1442)
State of the World (1442)

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Chapter One: Prologue (1066)

In 1016, Norman pilgrims returning from Jerusalem visited the shrine to the Archangel Michael at Monte Gargano in Apulia, where they were met with an appeal by Melus of Bari, a Lombard nobleman who desired to expel the Byzantine Empire from the Mezzogiorno. Within a year, Norman knights were making their way to Southern Italy.

The Normans could boast an unusual history, having descended from the Vikings who first pillaged the northern coast of France, then began to settle and intermarry with the locals, eventually adopting their own version of French culture. Many sons of Normandy kept the adventurous, martial hearts of their Viking ancestors, however, and the lure of potential fortune in the south was too much for many landless second sons to resist.

Now, 50 years later, the Normans are the pre-eminent power in Southern Italy, succeeding where Melus and the Lombards failed. From humble origins as mercenaries and highwaymen, they have succeeded in driving out the Byzantines and consolidating their power. Most of them are led by Robert d’Hauteville, known as “Guiscard”, recently invested by Pope Nicholas II with the titles of Duke of Apulia and Calabria.

Robert has also been given a papal endorsement to invade the island of Sicily, long held by Muslim Arabs and harbour to countless pirates who plague the coasts of Italy. Already the city of Messina has been conquered, but the first expedition to capture Palermo ended poorly, temporarily halting the island’s conquest.

Since then, Robert has been occupied with internal affairs, particularly the ongoing revolt of two of his vassals.

To the east, the Byzantines would no doubt like to reclaim Southern Italy, but they have far greater problems on their hands at the moment. The Seljuk Turks, led by the great Alp Arslan, have launched an invasion of Anatolia, and the weak Basileus looks to be nearly powerless to resist.

To the west, another conflict between Christians and Muslims simmers rather than rages, with the Christian kingdoms of Spain, most prominently those of the sons of Fernando the Great, are poised against the Muslim taifas left after the collapse of the Umayyad Caliphate. Across the strait of Gibraltar, a threat to both of them lurks in the form of the Almoravid Berbers.

To the north, the young King of the Germans, not yet crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope, has just come of age. His realm is peaceful for now, but discontent lurks below the surface, and it may not be long before he comes into conflict with the powerful reformist faction of the papacy that has already begun attempts to take power out of the Emperor’s hands. The reformers have already declared that the election of the Pope is a matter for the Church alone, removing the Emperor’s influence over the Church’s most important post. Now they wish to go further and remove his control over ecclesiastic investiture even in his own lands.

To the northwest, England is being invaded by two forces at once: one led by William the Bastard, Duke of Normandy, and the other by Harald Hårdråde, King of Norway, both men claiming that the throne of England is rightfully theirs. The Saxon King Harold Godwinson desperately attempts to defend his kingdom, knowing that the future of England hangs in the balance.

To the northeast, the Rurikovich Princes of Russia squabble, bordered on one side by the Baltic and Finnish pagans, and on the other by the mighty Cuman Khanate.

Few of these events matter to Duke Robert Guiscard at the moment, however.

Robert, like many of the Normans who made their name fighting in the Mezzogiorno, has relatively humble origins, being the sixth son of an undistinguished minor lord in Normandy, Tancred d’Hauteville, said to be descended from one Hiallt, a Norseman from whom the name of the village of Hauteville is supposedly derived. Hiallt is in turn said to have been descended from the legendary hero Ogier the Dane and King Godfrey of Denmark, but the evidence for such legends is scant at best.

What is undisputable, though, is the energy, cunning, and martial skill Robert has so far displayed in his rise to power. Having been preceded by his elder brothers William, Drogo, and Humphrey, each Count of Apulia in turn, he inherited the county – over Humphrey’s young son – in 1057 after having demonstrated his ability on countless previous occasions, including in the conquest of Calabria and at the Battle of Civitate, where Humphrey, Robert, and Richard Drengot defeated the forces of Pope Leo IX and secured the future of the Norman states in Southern Italy.

Of no small importance herself is Robert’s Lombard wife Sigelgaita, the daughter of the late Prince Guaimar IV of Salerno, a Norman ally, and sister of the current Prince of Salerno.

Sigelgaita is Robert’s second wife, however, his first marriage having been annulled in order to make the more politically useful match with Sigelgaita. Robert’s eldest son Bohemond was by his first wife Alberada. Still a child, Bohemond has already begun to display both the physical and mental gifts of his father.

Robert’s other two sons, Roger and Guy, are by Sigelgaita. Both are too young to assess just yet, but Roger has an unfortunate physical deformity that has left him slightly hunchbacked.

Most prominent among Robert’s vassals is his younger brother Roger, lord of Reggio and Messina. Nearly as capable as Robert himself, Roger is his brother’s right hand, despite the many conflicts, violent and otherwise, the two brothers have found themselves in over the years.

At the moment, however, the vassals occupying Robert’s attention are his nephews Abelard of Taranto and Geoffroy de Conversano. Abelard, the son of Robert’s brother Humphrey, has long resented Robert for what he considers the theft of his birthright. Shortly after the failed expedition to Sicily had set out, Abelard and his cousin Geoffroy started a revolt on the mainland, which Robert has been trying to crush since his return.

Also prominent among Robert’s vassals are Robert of Foggia, son of Robert’s older brother Geoffrey, and Geoffroy di Lecce, another Norman unrelated to the d’Hautevilles.

Those Normans in Southern Italy not loyal to Robert are under the rule of Richard Drengot, Count of Capua, friend and brother-in-law (through Robert’s sister) of Robert.

To his south is Naples, the last remnant of Greek power in Italy, ruled by Sergios Spartenos.

Further down the coast is Salerno, ruled by Sigelgaita’s brother Gisulf, a thoroughly reprehensible man despised by nearly everyone, including Robert. Only familial ties have so far prevented Robert from marching into Salerno and expelling his brother-in-law, though this has as much to do with Robert’s desire for the city of Salerno as anything.

Finally, Landolf di Capua attempts to rule Benevento, nominally as a Papal vassal, but his rule is consistently undermined by the Normans, and few think his reign will be long.

Not to be forgotten is the current Pope, Alexander II, successor to Nicholas II. Currently he is friendly toward Robert and the Normans, especially due to his need for Norman support in case of further conflict with the Holy Roman Empire. Already he has been forced to defend his papacy against the German-sponsored antipope Honorius II.

Robert’s current council is a rather informal collection of some of his most capable vassals, including all three of his major vassals not currently in revolt.

Robert is still in good health currently, but should he die, his heir at the moment would be his son Bohemond. Norman succession in Southern Italy is loose, though (as demonstrated by Robert’s succession to the County of Apulia), and the principle of primogeniture is not as strictly followed as it is in much of Europe. Rather, the most powerful son is most likely to inherit, rather than the eldest. This also means that succession wars are more likely than not.

At the moment, though, Robert’s sons are all children. Further complicating things is the fact that Bohemond could technically be considered a bastard, a position Robert’s wife Sigelgaita would no doubt like to take for the sake of her sons.

His levies depleted by the ongoing revolt, Robert can call on around 2,700 men, though this should be more than enough to put down the rebellion.

The first move in Robert’s renewed effort to end the revolt is to split his forces in two. The first army, led by Robert himself, marches on Geoffroy’s lands from the north.

The second, led by his brother Roger, marches toward Abelard’s lands from the south.

While Robert besieges Conversano, Roger meets its owner, Count Geoffroy, in battle.

Roger’s numerical advantage is overwhelming, and Geoffroy himself is killed in the rout.

Meanwhile, Conversano itself falls to Robert, leaving Geoffroy’s young son under his control and effectively eliminating half of the revolt’s strength.

Next, Robert marches to Lecce, where Abelard’s army has retreated. The young rebel has no choice but to fight, despite being heavily outnumbered.

As expected, Robert soundly defeats his nephew’s army, and the revolt is ended.

Abelard has no choice but to surrender himself to Robert and hope for mercy.

Fortunately for him, the Duke is known for his lenient attitude toward rebellious vassals, and Abelard is released with little more than a renewed oath of loyalty and renunciation of his claims on Robert’s titles.

The Norman realm is once again united, and Robert’s eyes turn again to the island of Sicily as he plans a summer campaign.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

EasternBronze posted:

Also happy to see this finally making its way back to the forum. Are we getting the Curia back by any chance?

Yes, the Curia Regis will probably make its return around the same time as it was introduced last time (i.e. when Robert dies), barring the relatively unlikely event of something going drastically differently story-wise.

Other than that, though, I'm going to try to keep everything mostly uninfluenced by the events of the previous thread. Ultimately things are going to get boring if I try too hard to follow what happened last time (never mind that the game is unlikely to cooperate with such a plan anyway).

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Are you still using CK2+ (I assume the latest build)? And the Better Looking Characters mod, if I'm not mistaken?

I am actually using the last build of CK2+ prior to The Republic and the accompanying patch. This is in part because I don't want to deal with as-yet-unfixed bugs and such in The Republic and partly to remove the temptation of updating at all (because that is what killed the last LP and I am still sort of upset with myself for letting that happen). Given that The Republic and its patch don't add a huge amount of content if you're not actually playing as a republic, I didn't feel like this was a major sacrifice.

And yes, I am also using Better Looking Characters. A note to anyone else wanting to use it with CK2+: the compatibility mod available on the Paradox forums is woefully incomplete and buggy. I basically had to redo it all from scratch.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Crameltonian posted:

Well I've already learned something from this LP. I'd always assumed Bohemond actually was a bastard but nope, looks like he got screwed over by the Wicked Stepmother.

Well, he was and he wasn't. His parents were married when he was born, but the marriage was ended on grounds of consanguinity. So it could definitely be argued either way. I'm not exactly an expert on the Catholic Church's laws at the time, so I don't really know for sure.

Mirdini posted:

While cool we probably won't be dealing with pagans too much down in Sicily? And updating to any expansion is very likely to break the save file so I'm guessing Viscardus is going to be sticking with SoI+LoR rather than risking another LP collapse.

Yeah, not updating to The Republic means there is precisely zero chance of updating to The Old Gods. As much as I'm looking forward to it, I really don't feel like the LP is going to lose too much by not having it.

Cythereal posted:

Also, is Sunset Invasion active?

No. Funny as it might be, it's not really appropriate for what I want this LP to be.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Two: Palermo (1067-68)

Summer brings a new campaign season, and Duke Robert eagerly calls his vassals for a new attack on the city of Palermo, the heart of Sicily.

Before the Normans have even finished rallying their armies, however, the Sheikh of Palermo strikes first, boldly marching on Norman-held Messina.

The siege is hindered significantly by an outbreak of disease among the Muslim troops, ensuring that the Normans have time to relieve the city.

Robert’s army hits the besieging army at its moment of weakness, and it quickly becomes clear that they are no match for the Norman army.

The battle quickly becomes a rout, and the Muslims army is effectively destroyed.

Robert immediately marches to Palermo, where his army lays siege to the city. Its defenses are strong, however, and the besieging army is quickly worn down by local bandits and criminals.

The Norman troops begin to take their frustrations out on the locals, and several nearby towns are pillaged and burned.

Finally, a break for Robert’s army comes when a desperate sally by the city’s defenders goes awry, leaving the city open to assault.

Norman troops flood the city, and Palermo finally falls after months under siege.

With that, the war is effectively over, as much of the island comes under Norman control.

Shortly after the war ends, Robert receives more good news – King Philippe of France has agreed to marry his eldest daughter Emma, adding further prestige and legitimacy to the ascendant d’Hauteville name.

This stream of military and diplomatic successes serves to improve Robert’s mood and lessen his jealous nature.

He demonstrates this by handing out some of the newly captured lands in Sicily to his brothers William and Tancred.

Robert is not the only one pleased by the capture of Palermo, as the campaign was profitable for his vassals as well.

As the year comes to an end, one final piece of good news reaches Robert: Pope Alexander II has officially confirmed Robert in his title as Duke of Sicily as well as Apulia and Calabria.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Crameltonian posted:

...132.9 warscore for a single battle? :stare: I assume that's the result of changes CK2+ makes?

Yeah, Wiz was unhappy with how little battles end up contributing to war score in larger wars. Scaling issues mean that it tends to end wars like this very quickly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I continued the war a little longer than necessary both to make the story a little better and to get some extra money from sieges.

By the way, feel free to let me know if this update was too short. I'm still getting back into the groove of making these so it's tough to judge exactly how long they should be. I did get a few complaints that the first update was too long, but that was mostly due to its introductory nature.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

I just want to apologize to anyone who noticed my absence here. It turns out I picked kind of a bad time to restart this - I've been a lot busier than expected over the last couple of weeks. I just want to make it clear that this isn't dying or anything, but updates will probably be a bit sparse for a while. Not exactly a triumphant relaunching of the LP, especially since we've been over this stuff already, but the LP will continue eventually.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Three: Jewel of the Mediterranean (1069-74)

As his state grows in size and power, Duke Robert is forced to spend more and more time managing his vassals. Many of them are accustomed to relative independence, and it is a struggle for Robert to impose their feudal obligations upon them.

Robert is not one to dedicate too much time on domestic affairs, however, and it isn’t long before he’s planning his next campaign – this one to expel Landolf of Capua from Benevento.

He assembles a smaller army than he did for the Sicilian invasion, but it his forces still outnumber the Lombards 3 to 1.

The battle is a straightforward victory for the Normans, and Landolf’s holdings are quickly put under siege.

Establishing control over the area is a simple affair, though the city of Benevento is left untouched, as it is still under Papal protection.

Landolf is forced to flee north, and the war is effectively won.

Robert grants control over the area to his brother Humbert, once again using his extensive family ties to maintain stability in his rapidly-expanding realm.

Or so he thinks. In reality, his brothers and nephews seem as likely as anyone to scheme against each other during peacetime.

Two years after the expulsion of Landolf, Robert receives news that turns his eyes to the east. Isaakios Komnenos, the nephew of a previous Byzantine Emperor, has begun a rebellion against Konstantinos X.

Much of the empire’s Adriatic coast is in chaos, and Robert cannot turn down the opportunity to strike another blow against the Greeks.

He gathers his largest army yet to be transported across the strait to the vital port of Dyrrachion.

The local defenders are no match for the Norman army, and the civil war rules out any chance of reinforcements.

The siege of Dyrrachion is long and difficult, isolated as the Normans are from their own lands, and the army takes heavy casualties.

The city eventually falls, however, and Robert’s army quickly establishes control over it and the surrounding area.

With no hope of help from Constantinople, Dyrrachion is now firmly under Norman control.

Not wanting to risk further aggression in Greece just yet, Robert returns to Italy, leaving his nephew Richard to govern his new Greek lands.

Back in Italy, Robert encourages immigrants from the north, including many Jews fleeing chaos and persecution in Germany and northern Italy.

Robert’s son Bohemond comes of age, demonstrating similar martial prowess to his father.

Looking to solidify his shaky grip on his new Greek lands – and perhaps gain a claim to more – Robert arranges for Bohemond to marry Sophia Komnenos, eldest daughter of the rebel leader Isaakios.

Robert still prefers war to peace, however, and the very next year he declares a new campaign for Sicily, this time aiming to bring the entire island under his control.

The remaining Muslim lords of Sicily band together to resist Robert at the Battle of Girgenti, the largest battle of the war.

The battle is bloody, but ultimately Norman arms prevail once again.

The army is split and sieges proceed against the remaining Muslim strongholds.

It isn’t long before the last cities fall.

The major Muslim lords are forced into exile, and those that remain are forced to accept Norman rule.

For the first time in hundreds of years, the entirety of Sicily, Jewel of the Mediterranean, is under Christian rule.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

General Antares posted:

We're more or less where we were in the last incarnation aren't we? I can't remember if Robert was dead or not.

No, we're still a ways away from that. The crashes started to become overwhelming during the reign of Bohemond II, Robert's great-grandson. That was about 100 years after game start. That said, we're at the point where things are going to start diverging more and more.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Luhood posted:

Next time, in Kingdom in the Sun:

In an effort to grow closer to his new Sicilian subjects, the d'Hautvilles rejects the Pope and turn to the glory of Allha. What does the Vatican, and more importantly the Kaiser, think of that? Stay tuned and find out, in the next episode of Kingdom in the Sun Z!

Just wait until you actually see the next update.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

YF-23 posted:

You don't need to show us that many different screenshots of the victory events for the wars, you've mentioned it in the text already; you could condense multiple ones from simultaneous wars in one screenshot, or place them horizontally, and leave more space (maybe at least just vertical space!) for map shots, or, more generally, put them and a map shot in the same image. Perhaps not everyone minds it, but I personally think a long stream of almost exclusively menu, event, and message interfaces is boring.

Thanks. This is good advice and something that had actually occurred to me before (but that I ended up not really doing anything about). I'll try to improve this going forward (although the screenshots for the next two updates were already done, so I was only able to make minor changes for them).

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Four: Coronation (1075-1084)

Robert grants his eldest son Bohemond control over most of the newly-conquered Sicilian lands as a reward for his participation in the campaign.

Robert’s younger sons come of age themselves over the next few years. Roger proves not to have the same sort of aptitude for or interest in combat that Robert and Bohemond do, but Guy follows in his father’s footsteps.

In early 1078, Pope Alexander II finally passes away. The selection of his successor, Gelasius II, divides Rome bitterly, and it briefly seems that another antipope may rise. Only a week into his reign, however, Gelasius falls ill and dies, supposedly of pneumonia, and his bitterest opponent, Cardinal Ghisi, is elected as Pope Anacletus II.

Rome falls into chaos as the late Gelasius’s supporters accuse Anacletus of having poisoned his rival. Robert, ever the opportunist, declares that the situation in Rome has imperilled the people of Benevento and announces his intention to bring the city under Norman control for its own safety.

The city surrenders quickly, not having any hope of standing up to the Normans without Papal support.

Robert does not stop at the annexation of Benevento, however. Appointing himself mediator of the ongoing Roman crisis, he marches on the Eternal City itself.

As the occupation begins, the Norman army is left vulnerable by the outbreak of disease, but the Roman forces are incapable of taking advantage.

The largest Papal army is crushed at Viterbo, leaving the Pope to hope for intervention from the north as his last possible salvation.

Such intervention never comes, however, and Rome itself eventually falls. Robert attempts to minimize wanton destruction, but the city is thoroughly sacked nonetheless.

Captured by the Normans and with his reign in jeopardy, Anacletus offers Robert a desperate bargain: in exchange for Robert’s support in maintaining his papacy, the Pope will make him a king. After some deliberation, Robert accepts, and on Christmas Day, 1080, he is crowned King of Sicily by Anacletus II.

Robert’s brother-in-law Richard Drengot accepts Robert’s overlordship, finally uniting all of the Normans of Italy under a single state.

Robert takes the opportunity to require renewed oaths of loyalty from his vassals, including new restrictions. Mostly notably, the ancient right of feud is abolished, making it a crime for Robert’s vassals to wage war upon each other.

Robert also takes the opportunity to elevate Bohemond, his expected heir, to the rank of Duke of Sicily.

It isn’t long before the new king’s eyes turn once again to war. This time he resolves to finally remove the last trace of Greek power from Italy with an invasion of Naples.

No longer part of the Byzantine Empire, the Neapolitans cannot stand against the ever-growing Norman state.

The Neapolitan army is defeated, and it looks to be only a matter of time until Naples is incorporated into Robert’s kingdom.

Things become even more hopeless when Doux Sergios dies during the siege, further demoralizing the defenders.

Finally, the city is surrendered, ending the last independent Greek state in Italy.

Good news is followed by bad, however, when word reaches Robert that his younger brother Roger has passed away. It is a reminder of his own mortality.

For now, though, King Robert’s legacy seems secure.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

paragon1 posted:

What's up with Salerno?

It's still ruled by Gisulf of Salerno, Robert's brother-in-law and all-around awful person.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

From the first update:

Impaler, Envious, Greedy, Proud, Cruel, Wroth, and Arbitrary. I actually added all of those to the history files for my personal version, based on historical evidence that he was a gigantic rear end in a top hat who regularly tortured people and starved his own citizens. He also despised the Normans and repeatedly antagonized them, which I'm sure you can guess was extremely unwise at the time.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Five: Consolidation (1085-1086)

While the Norman state is establishing its dominance in southern Italy, the Bosonids of Provence have been establishing their power in the north after inheriting the Duchies of Tuscany and Modena. Now relatively free from the Holy Roman yoke, they are a powerful potential rival for the Normans.

Robert is more than happy to test himself against the Occitans when tensions escalate along the border.

The first skirmish of the war is a Norman victory, but it says little about how the war will go.

The Bosonids have the disadvantage of a disconnected realm, leaving them unable to reinforce their border towns in time.

The Norman armies advance further north than ever before, waiting for the inevitable response from their enemies.

The Occitans take their time, however, and Spoleto falls in the meantime, giving the Normans a chokehold on the lower part of the peninsula.

Or so they think. An Occitan army manages to bypass the Norman armies and lay siege to Capua. Robert is forced to return south to deal with them.

He is injured in the battle, however, briefly leaving the larger Norman army in chaos.

Prince Bohemond acquits himself well in his father’s absence and rallies the army to another crushing victory.

Duke Jaufret elects to make peace, ceding control of Teate to the Normans in exchange for guarantees against further Norman aggression.

Once again, Robert hands out newly-conquered lands to his son, this time giving them to Prince Roger.

Word reaches Italy from the east that the Muslims are once again pushing against the eastern border of the Byzantine Empire.

Robert is more interesting in news from closer to home. Not long after the conclusion of the war with the Bosonids, Robert’s brother-in-law Gisulf of Salerno dies, leaving his realm in the hands of his young son.

Robert quickly declares himself protector of the young duke, though he has no intention of allowing his hated brother-in-law’s progeny to rule anything. In reality, it is little more than a declaration of war.

The meagre Salernitan defences are instantly overwhelmed, and the city is taken.

The young duke is quickly shipped off, and the city is brought under Norman rule, putting an end to the last Lombard state in southern Italy.

Predictably, Robert appoints his third son, Guy, to rule the city and surrounding lands.

While King Robert eliminates the last independent states of the Mezzogiorno, Prince Bohemond is planning an expedition to the tiny island of Malta.

His Sicilian army is small compared to the ones his father can raise on the mainland, but he has more than enough men to take the island.

The Maltese resist valiantly, but they are no match for the Normans.

By the end of 1085, Sicily and the Mezzogiorno are unified and the Norman realm stretches from Malta in the south to Teate in the north.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Six: Succession (1087-1094)

The conquests of Salerno and Malta prove to be the last of Robert’s distinguished career. His last two years are spent quietly in his capital before he passes away at the age of 73. His eldest son Bohemond is crowned king, as Robert wished.

King Bohemond is an impressive young man, quite possibly a match for his father in military prowess. His interests are not exclusively military, though, and over a decade spent in Sicily has imprinted some of the island’s more peaceful, cosmopolitan nature onto his warlike Norman heart.

His queen is Sophia Komnenos, great niece of Emperor Isaac I and a member of one of the most power families of the Byzantine Empire.

Bohemond’s ascension does not go entirely smoothly. Only a few days after his quick coronation, his brother Roger declares himself king and raises an army to march on Apulia.

Guy does not take much longer, raising an army of his own in Salerno.

Desperate to keep the support of his other vassals, Bohemond names his cousin Botolf Duke of Calabria, securing his support.

Botolf and Richard Drengot both stay loyal even as the counts of Taranto, Bari, and Dyrrachion rebel. All of them support Guy, leaving Roger without supporters.

Chieti falls quickly to Duke Richard and Bohemond’s northern vassals, and Roger is quickly defeated and captured.

Taking Salerno is more difficult, but Bohemond’s Sicilian armies are eventually able to defeat Guy’s men and capture him, ending the rebellion.

Bohemond chooses to take the merciful route, pardoning and releasing both of his brothers. Both swear oaths of fealty to Bohemond in exchange for his mercy.

Not long after her husband’s coronation, Queen Sophia falls ill. She lingers only a short time before passing away, leaving Bohemond a widower.

With the tragedy comes opportunity, however, as Bohemond is able to make an extraordinary match, negotiating a marriage with the young queen of Castille. They are married in Barcelona, at the court of the King of Aragon, Robert’s brother-in-law and Margarita’s distant cousin.

Queen Margarita is not an especially capable ruler in her own right, and the marriage to Bohemond is largely to secure Norman support against possible claims against her throne by other members of the expansive Jimena dynasty.

His relations with his brothers now repaired, Bohemond names his brother Guy Duke of Salerno.

Roger is likewise named Duke of Benevento.

Word comes from the east that the Byzantines are in full retreat from Anatolia, abandoning it to the hordes of Arab and Turkish troops that have invaded it.

Arslan Shah, third son of the Seljuk ruler Alp Arslan, has proclaimed himself Sultan of Rum, and the Byzantine Empire appears weaker than ever.

In Sicily, the years of peace are finally paying dividends, as the island prospers under Bohemond’s rule.

Bohemond’s vassals are less pleased with his rule, however, and many of them request a reduction in their taxes and military obligations, which the king refuses.

This does not go over well, and a group of vassals led by Richard Drengot make their dissatisfaction with Bohemond’s rule very clear.

Bohemond is undeterred, and continues to raise taxes within the realm.

This, combined with the continued economic prosperity on the island of Sicily, helps to fill the crown’s coffers.

Most expect Bohemond to embark upon his first foreign campaign since his coronation soon, and this speculation is only encouraged as his eldest son Robert comes of age.

Few expect the news that comes from Rome, however. The Pope has called for a crusade to Jerusalem, urging all of Christendom to take up arms against the Famitids.

Naturally, Bohemond is asked to join the crusade, and Pope Anacletus is quick to remind him of to whom he owes his crown. Bohemond has mixed feelings about the crusade, however: while it could be the glorious military expedition he craves, it would be extremely unpopular with his Muslim subjects.

Further, Bohemond’s precarious situation with his rebellious vassals means that he cannot afford to make any sort of decision lightly. Fortunately, this is the perfect opportunity for Bohemond to implement one of his most important innovations: the Curia Regis. While all kings have advisors, Bohemond goes a step further, creating a formal royal council to advise him on any and all matters of state. Membership is naturally entirely at his discretion, and he reserves the ultimate power to follow or disregard the advice of the council. Nevertheless, this body, open to nobles, priests, and even skilled commoners, is meant to bring stability and centralization to the young kingdom, as well as curtail of the powers of the regional nobility.

The first major question brought before the Curia Regis is whether or not the Kingdom of Sicily should join the crusade. Besides the religious justification, it is an opportunity for glory and to expand Sicily’s influence by contributing to what could be a defining moment in history.

The Fatimids are strong, however, and many see the crusade as doomed to failure even with Norman support. Supporting a holy war is also unlikely to be popular with Bohemond’s many Muslim subjects on Sicily itself.

Many prefer to avoid the conflict entirely, focusing on more practical matters closer to home. The Sicilian Kingdom is primed for expansion in every direction. To the east, the Byzantines are beginning to collapse. To the south, the African coast is a prime target for invasion. To the north, Italy is relatively free of the Holy Roman Emperor and could be united by a strong Sicilian hand. Finally, to the west, Queen Margarita’s position in Castille is still precarious, and Spain offers a whole new frontier for Norman expansion. Each of these, argue some, is a more realistic target than the fool’s errand that is the crusade.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

As you'll already know if you read the previous thread, the audience of the thread will be playing the role of the Curia Regis, answering questions posed to it by the Kings of Sicily by voting and making arguments. Depending on the question, it may or may not be strictly democratic (Bohemond still retains the right to make his own decisions, but there wouldn't be much point in voting if people were constantly overruled). In this case, whether or not we go on crusade will be determined by a strict vote. If we end up not going on crusade, Bohemond may be influenced by arguments about where Sicily should expand, too, if there seems to be a consensus in the thread, but that won't be a strict vote (yet, at least).

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Is Robert the son of Sophia or Margarita? I.e. will he inherit Castille as well, or will it go to his (potential?) half-brother?

Robert is the son of Sophia, so he will not inherit Castille. While nothing is set in stone yet, any Norman conquests in Iberia would probably be given to Margarita's heir or a third son, and thus would not permanently be part of the Sicilian kingdom.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

So, uh, isn't that just a short time waster? I mean, if you have beaten the whole kingdom already there's no way in hell you'll be having problems pressing all those claims against the various dukes and counts.

Not necessarily. For example, it's generally easier to win the initial invasions as Willian of Normandy or Harald Hardrada than it is to press all those claims against the various Anglo-Saxon vassals. It allows what happened historically to occur (William basically wiping out the Saxon nobility) while not making it trivially easy or completely unfair to a player who happens to be on the other end of it. Personally, I quite like how it works now (in fact, I might even be able to take a little bit of credit for it, since I suggested it to Wiz before he implemented it).

Anyway, it looks like people are just about finished voting, so I'll say that the vote will end within the next 24 hours (I don't think it's necessary to pick an exact time). Right now it looks like those for the crusade have a narrow lead (and expanding within Italy seems quite popular as well). If anyone wants to get their votes in, do it soon.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Seven: The Kingdom of God (1095-1099)

The debate within the Curia is long and difficult. A solid faction dismisses the Crusade as a fool’s errand, many of them advocating an equally grand goal – unification of the entire Italian peninsula under Norman rule.

After months of debate, it is the crusade’s supporters that win out in the end, much to the dismay of Sicily’s Muslim population. King Bohemond sends word to the pope that the Kingdom of Sicily will join the crusade and begins to gather his armies.

Sicily is one of the few Western European states with the naval capability to transport a large crusader army directly to the Levant, giving the Normans a large advantage in reaching the Holy Land quickly. Initially, the fleet makes for Beirut, where most of the crusader army is located, supplied by the Byzantine lords of Tripoli and Antioch.

Bohemond, along with his cousin and marshal Duke Botolf of Calabria, make the risky decision to change course and sail directly for Jerusalem, establishing a base of operations near the city of Ascalon and then marching toward Jerusalem.

It isn’t long before they have the city under siege, far behind the main lines of engagement.

The manoeuvre serves to buy the Norman army time for the siege, but it is not long enough to take the city. An army led by the Fatimid caliph himself comes to relieve the siege, setting the stage for the greatest battle of the crusade.

The battle is slow and indecisive at first, but the turning point comes during a misguided charge by a group of Fatimid cavalry, led by the Emir of Alexandria, the Caliph’s nephew. The emir and his men are cut down by the Norman infantry, and the Norman counterattack shatters the left flank of the Fatimid army.

From there, the battle becomes a slaughter. The Arabs retreat in disarray, the Caliph barely escaping with his life as his men are cut down by the Normans. The battlefield is littered with corpses, but it is an absolute triumph for the Norman forces – their greatest since the Battle of Civitate over 50 years before.

Norman celebrations are only amplified by news from the coast that more cities are falling to the crusaders. To the desperate and undersupplied army, it is clear that God truly does favour their endeavours.

Reinvigorated, they storm the walls of Jerusalem, taking the city and proclaiming the victory of the crusade.

Such proclamations are short-sighted, however, and the crusaders have only occupied the city for a few months when news comes that a new Fatimid army has taken Ascalon and is moving toward Jerusalem. The beleaguered crusader army has no choice but to once again muster and meet them in battle, their chances of withstanding a long siege remote at best.

The second Battle of Jerusalem is longer and bloodier than the first, but once again the crusaders prevail. The holiest city in Christianity is theirs.

And the Fatimids realize it as well. Defeated twice by Bohemond’s army and quickly losing their control over their northern territories to the other crusaders, they retreat from the holy land, surrendering it to the crusaders.

As the most powerful crusader lord and the conqueror of Jerusalem itself, it is no surprise that the crusade’s leaders – and Pope Anacletus himself – offer Bohemond another crown, this one as King of Jerusalem.

Bohemond refuses, however. As pleased as he is with the crusade’s success, he is wary of having to split his attentions between two distant kingdoms, one populated by ever-rebellious vassals and the other located in a hostile land, surrounded by enemies. Instead, he asks that the honour be given to his eldest son, who is duly crowned King Robert of Jerusalem.

The young kingdom is in a precarious position, but the promise of further aid from Europe in general and Sicily in particular offers it some protection against Arab reconquest. Whether it is enough to preserve the crusader state remains to be seen, however.

King Bohemond returns to Sicily triumphantly and with renewed respect and goodwill on the part of his vassals. He wastes no time in spending it, however, issuing a series of decrees restraining the power of the nobility even further, concentrating as much power as possible in the hands of the court in Palermo.

Predictably, this goes over very poorly with the Norman nobility, though none yet have the courage to stand up to the hero of the crusade.

Bohemond, for his part, is unfazed by the resentment borne by his vassals. When not attending to matters of state, he spends his time surveying the magnificent gardens that surround his palaces in Palermo, thoroughly enjoying every moment of his rule.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

Seriously. I was expecting our forces to get ripped to shreds, and instead we ripped theirs to shreds. And we did it quite quickly as an added bonus.

It actually wasn't as quick as it seems. I cut down on a bunch of unnecessary small battles and sieges to streamline things a bit.

That said, yes, I was pretty surprised at the success we had. I was not expecting any real success going in, but I got very lucky. That first battle was a pretty drat miraculous victory, and the other crusaders were much more useful than usual.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is the "Be able to choose who gets the crown in a crusade" a Wiz invention? Because that's a really good idea.

Yeah, it's quite nice, and probably one of my favourite things about CK2+ (and there are a lot of things I like about CK2+).

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Who was the 'capable relative' that it offered as alternative to hand off Jerusalem to?

Believe it or not, a literal imbecile (as in, he has the "imbecile" trait and most of his stats are 0). His name is Geoffrey d'Hauteville and he's the son of Bohemond's cousin the Count of Foggia.

As amusing as the adventures of the imbecile-king of Jerusalem sound, I decided against it.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

State of the World (1100)

In the British Isles, the conflict between Norman, Norwegian, and Anglo-Saxon started decades ago after the death of Edward the Confessor still simmers. After Harald the Conqueror’s victorious invasion, the English realm was ruled by his family until 1083, when Robert of Normandy, William’s son, succeeded where his father failed and conquered England for himself.

England is currently ruled by Robert’s son Armand, barely more than a child.

His position is precarious, due in large part to large swathes of England still ruled by Havard, Harald’s grandson.

To the south, France is ruled by Renaud “Priest-Hater”, an angry, cynical man unpopular with his vassals.

In Scandinavia and the Baltic region, paganism continues to retreat in the face of Christianity.

Most notable is the conversion of the Wends, led by Krutoj, who has been granted the title Duke of Mecklenburg since his conversion. His reluctance to fully Christianize his realm has led to conflict with the Church, however.

Further east, the Rurikovich princes continue to fight among themselves, sandwiched between pagans on each side.

Vsevolod of Kiev, the most powerful Russian prince, is currently imprisoned by his cousin, the Prince of Ryazan.

The Iberian peninsula has seen a stalemate between Christians and Muslims in the past few decades, with most of the conflict being between members of the same religion. Galicia has inherited Navarra, while the Almoravids are encroaching ever further on the smaller Muslims taifas.

Of note is the King of Leon, formerly the Count of Valladolid, who usurped the Jimena dynasty in that kingdom.

In the Holy Roman Empire, decades of misrule have seen its borders shrink, most of the non-German vassals having abandoned the sinking ship.

The young emperor will no doubt try to regain some of his realm’s former glory, but whether he is up to the task remains to be seen.

Nearby, the Kingdom of Hungary may be on the brink of civil war now that the king and several of his lords have adopted what the Pope denounces as heretical beliefs.

In the eastern Mediterranean, the Byzantines have all but lost their hold on Anatolia thanks to the rise of the Sultanate of Rum.

Like the Germans, the Greeks are ruled by a young emperor whose competence many question, especially given the monumental task that rebuilding his empire would be.

Arslan Shah is not a leader on the level of his father, however, and it will be a difficult task to maintain his grip on a kingdom populated chiefly by Greek Christians.

But his position could improve substantially when his father, Alp Arslan, finally dies. The Seljuk ruler is expected to leave his empire to his most accomplished son, and a united realm would be immensely powerful.

Further south, the Miaphysite kingdoms of Africa are experiencing vastly different fates, as the Nubians seem doomed to be absorbed into the greater Abyssinian realm. The African Jews of Semien, however, have managed to hold their own.

Ledger

Religions

The Most Prestigious Characters

The Most Pious Characters

The Largest States

The Largest Armies

World Map

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 20, 2013

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Well, Provencal Italy looks like it had a short shelf life :v:

They, along with Pereyaslavl and Bohemia, were in the middle of a civil war (not an independence revolt, though) when the world map screenshot was taken, so it's actually a little misleading. I tried to put the names over the territory they actually control to give a rough idea of what they own.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Eight: Bohemond the Great (1100-1109)

As Palermo grows, it proves to be a centre of learning an innovation in Western Europe, in part due to the cultural links to Greece and the Muslim world.

His military goals achieved for now, Bohemond turns his eye toward diplomacy, arranging the marriage of one of his daughters to the young Holy Roman Emperor.

The tolerant religious policies in Sicily serve to encourage the growth and prosperity of Jewish communities on the island.

King Bohemond turns his eye back to war quickly, however, when he hears news that Ancona has been sacked by mercenaries in the employ of the Republic of San Marino.

Flimsy as it may be, it provides enough justification for a Norman invasion on the pretence of protecting the citizens of Ancona.

Bohemond quickly assembles a small army and marches north.

Left defenceless in the wake of the sack by San Marino, there is little resistance to the Norman occupation.

The city and surrounding coast are quickly annexed, a great boon to Sicily’s ever-expanding trade networks.

Shortly after arriving home in Palermo, Bohemond finds out that he has been made a widower for the second time.

This means that his second son, William, is the new King of Castille, despite his young age.

Bohemond mourns his wife, but wastes little time finding other women to occupy his attention.

Not long after, word reaches Sicily that the unpopular King Renaud of France has been deposed and killed.

It leads to another advantageous match – this time to Princess Marquesa, the widow of King Renaud and the younger sister of Bohemond’s last wife, Margarita.

Marquesa proves to be more intelligent and capable than her older sister, but also much more difficult to get along with.

Bohemond is distracted once again from his domestic responsibilities by an urgent plea for help from his son in Jerusalem. After licking their wounds, the Fatimids have launched another attack on the crusader state.

Bohemond wastes no time sailing to the Levant once again to relive his finest hour.

He meets the Fatimid army once again, this time further north. He has a slight numerical advantage this time, but it is as large a battle as any that occurred during the crusade.

And it goes the same way. The Arab army is crushed and routed, and the caliph is forced to retreat in disgrace, his dreams of reconquering Jerusalem dashed.

King Bohemond, for his part, is celebrated once again as the protector of the Holy Land, and many take to calling him Bohemond the Great.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Extra bonus image for people who noticed whose claim the war was for:

Not pictured: his son Placeholder ibn Placeholder Placeholderid (and his son of the same name).

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Festive Transvestite posted:

Is this thing still going?

Yes, it certainly is. I wasn't going to be able to sustain the pace I was briefly on forever, but it's only been a week and a bit since the last update. I'll have the next one done by the end of the week at the latest.

Chronische posted:

With such a streak of luck and military prowess going on, surely the reunification of the Roman Empire isn't too much to aspire to now? Grabbing away the rest of Italy would be a good start towards that lofty goal.

That's... not particularly likely. I find huge empires boring and tedious in CK2 (especially from a story perspective) and unlike every Paradox Forum AAR ever written, the goal is not to restore the Roman Empire.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Nevets posted:

You know that now that you have said that the RNG is going to set you up to inherit half of Europe just out of spite.

Then I will resolutely give it away until Europe is filled with different branches of the d'Hautevilles. :colbert:

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Nine: The Valencian Crusade (1110-1117)

Two years after Bohemond’s successful defence of Jerusalem, Pope Anacletus, father of the crusade, passes away.

His replacement, Innocent II, is a relatively young man eager to live up to the standard set by his predecessor.

Without the need or enthusiasm for another crusade, he takes a different approach, granting King Bohemond sanction to invade Iberia, where the Christian kingdoms have been unable to made progress against the Muslim menace.

Bohemond decides to target the relatively weak Dhunnunid Emirate, sandwiched between the Christian kingdoms to the north and the Almoravids to the south. Their control over the coastal city of Valencia is particularly weak, and it is a natural target for a Sicilian invasion.

The Norman plan is relatively simple: the army will be transported first to the island of Mallorca, where the weak local rulers will quickly be subjugated. From there, they will sail to the Spanish coast and take Valencia with the help of their Spanish allies.

Bohemond’s son William of Castille naturally agrees, as does the King of Leon, but the King of Aragon is not so accommodating. He desires Valencia for himself, and considers the crusade an assault on his rightful territory.

The Normans are undeterred, and the invasion fleet is assembled to sail to Mallorca.

The invasion goes even better than expected, and the Mallorcan army is quickly destroyed.

The remaining Muslim lords of the Baleares quickly surrender, and the Norman army continues to Valencia.

The Norman army meets the Andalusians by a town just outside Valencia, where they force the Muslim army to give battle.

The Andalusians fight valiantly, and things go poorly for the Normans before Castilian reinforcements arrive. In the end, the victory comes at great cost to Bohemond’s army.

Nevertheless, the city is taken, and the tide of the war seems to be swinging toward the crusaders.

The Almoravid Sultanate is not so accommodating, however, and as Bohemond’s army marches south, a combined Muslim army launches a new offensive that is met by an army of Leonese and Castilian troops commanded by the young King William.

It is a decisive victory, and the Muslims are routed, securing the coastal cities for the Normans.

The Dhunnunids have little choice but to accept Bohemond’s terms, ceding control of Valencia and the rest of their territory on the Mediterranean coast.

With Mallorca and Valencia under his control and his son ruling Castille, Bohemond has taken the first steps in establishing a significant Norman presence in Iberia.

The victory is not without cost, however. Shortly after the war ends, the Normans receive word that Bohemond’s sister, Queen Constance of Leon, was murdered by a member of a growing anti-Norman faction in the largest remaining Spanish kingdom.

King Bohemond is not deterred, however, and names his youngest son Bohemond Duke of Valencia, though he is as yet too young to rule it himself.

Good news follows the bad when it is announced that the new pope intends to crown Kaiser Bernhard, Bohemond’s son-in-law and ally. Far from the ineffective young man he initially appeared to be, Bernhard has done well to halt the slow collapse of the Holy Roman Empire.

Later that year, Bohemond’s brother and one-time enemy Prince Roger passes away. Having failed to produce any sons, his lands revert to the crown.

For a time, Bohemond is content to occupy himself with domestic issues, commissioning new construction projects in Palermo and collecting tolls on Mediterranean trade. The latter project eventually causes conflict with the northern Italian merchant republics to boil over, and Bohemond’s chancellor is murdered by Pisan merchants while on a trip to Sardinia.

Outraged and eager to use the situation to his advantage, Bohemond declares war on the Republic of Pisa.

King Bohemond himself leads an invasion of Pisan-held Sardinia.

Meanwhile, the Duke of Calabria leads another force into battle against the main Pisan army.

Duke Botolf is victorious, and the Pisans are driven back to their capital.

Meanwhile, Bohemond successfully takes Cagliari and begins to subjugate the rest of the island.

The Pisans are forced to surrender control of the island, establishing the Sicilian Kingdom as a true rival to the merchant republics in maritime and mercantile affairs.

It is King Bohemond’s last victory, however. A few months after returning to Palermo, he passes away quietly in one of his palace’s many gardens. Together with his father, he leaves behind a remarkable legacy that has brought the Sicilian state to the forefront of Europe. Whether it can be maintained, however, is another question.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Ten: Arish and Rafah (1118-1122)

All three of Bohemond’s sons are outside of Sicily at his death: Robert in the Levant, William and Bohemond in Spain. The nobles of Sicily, however, waste no time in proclaiming Robert King of Sicily. For his part, Robert is quick to sail back to Palermo.

Ruling the Holy Land has toughened Robert immensely, and he has grown into an accomplished soldier during repeated skirmishes with the surrounding Muslims. He has also lost the use of his left leg due to a terrible injury suffered in battle.

Robert’s brother William of Castille does not contend the succession, but his youngest brother Bohemond does, arguing that Robert’s and William’s kingships preclude them from the succession and that he should be King of Sicily.

Robert wastes no time in taking the fight to Bohemond, sailing a Sicilian army to Bohemond’s capital of Valencia.

Robert triumphs easily, but upon riding to his brother’s camp to accept his surrender – and offer him the Kingdom of Jerusalem – he discovers that Bohemond was killed in the battle.

Upset at the death of his brother, rebel though he was, Robert attempts to distract himself with various initiatives, including the sponsorship of the Knights Templar, a holy order based in the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

He appoints his capable young cousin Guy d’Hauteville to the vacant Duchy of Benevento, hoping to strengthen his hold on the traditionally unruly Mezzogiorno.

In the long term, administering a realm that stretches from Spain to Jerusalem is almost certainly unsustainable, but King Robert does an admirable job in the short term, earning him the approval of his vassals.

It is not long before word reaches Palermo of a large Muslim army mustering for an attack on Jerusalem, led once again by the Fatimid Caliph.

The response is instantaneous, as Catholic rulers from across Europe rally to the Kingdom of Jerusalem’s defence.

A few months later, Sicilian armies begin to arrive in the Levant. The Sicilian commanders are quick to order an attack south, toward Egypt, where they meet the Fatimid army in battle at Arish.

It is a catastrophe. The Sicilian army is woefully unprepared and unfamiliar with the terrain, and the Arabs turn the battle into a slaughter.

A second army, led by King Robert, quickly makes its way west to meet the Fatimids as they pursue the remnants of the Sicilian army toward Jerusalem.

It is too late to save them, however, as most of the army is slaughtered or captured while the rest desert.

Enraged at the humiliation of his other army, Robert throws caution to the wind and engages the Arabs at the first opportunity, just outside the town of Rafah.

His boldness costs him his life. While leading a cavalry charge, he is knocked from his horse. Rendered partially immobile by his useless left leg, he is trapped in the chaos of battle and cut down by an Arab sword.

Despite the death of the king, the battle is a success for his army. They overrun and crush the Fatimid army, driving them back into Egypt.

Word is quickly sent back to Palermo that the king is dead, and his eldest legitimate son, Richard, is crowned.

Back in Jerusalem, the Fatimid Caliph is forced to surrender, his army destroyed and his only hope of reconquering Jerusalem in the immediate future dashed.

Sicily, however, is in as precarious a position as it has been in since the establishment of the kingdom. King Richard is a boy of 13, unready for the responsibilities of kingship, let alone the governance of multiple overseas realms.

Richard’s court is dominated by his regent, Duke Guy of Benevento, the ambitious young man so recently elevated to his position by the late King Robert. Clever and charismatic, Guy has the young king appoint him Amiratus Amiratorum, or Emir of Emirs, a holdover title from the Arab rulers of Sicily.

Acting as Richard’s chief minister, Guy is quick to take control of the Curia Regis, using it to attempt to advance his personal agenda. While the Curia Regis had been consulted regularly, if sparingly, during the reigns of Bohemond and Robert II, Guy attempts to use it much more extensively. He convenes what he calls a parlement, or discussion, to settle what he considers to be the most pressing issues affecting the Sicilian Realm.

The first is an apparently minor issue, but one with extensive possible implications. While Richard is the late King Robert’s eldest legitimate son, he does have one older brother – a bastard, named Robert after his father. The son of common woman from Jerusalem, Robert has already distinguished himself at court despite his age and low birth.

Guy proposes that Robert be legitimized and named Richard’s heir in the event that he dies before coming of age and having children. Many suspect that Robert will assert a claim to the throne if something were to happen to Richard, and Guy considers ingratiating himself to the bastard prince necessary for just that eventuality. Some other lords feel the same way, but many consider it unthinkable that a bastard would be inserted so high into the line of succession.

Doing so would displace the much-beloved Prince Abelard, as well as Richard’s three other younger brothers.

A second, related question is what should be done with the Kingdom of Jerusalem. It is becoming increasingly evident that it cannot be held in union with the Kingdom of Sicily forever, and almost all of the Curia Regis agrees that it should have a separate king. Who this should be, however, is a matter of debate.

Many support the elevation of the bastard Robert to the kingdom – some of them his supporters, some of them those who would rather see him as far away from Sicily as possible. Others suggest that it is Prince Abelard’s right as the second-oldest legitimate son of the late King Robert. Finally, a few contest that the kingdom is better separated from the royal line entirely, and that it should be granted to a loyal vassal or distant cousin, though none can agree on a suitable candidate.

Finally, there is the issue of Valencia and the Spanish possessions. While not as difficult to maintain control of as the Holy Land, many still see Spain as more trouble than its worth. Guy, for one, considers it a waste of resources that would be better spent subjugating North Africa and gaining access to its riches. He argues that the Baleares should be kept under the Sicilian crown, while the mainland possessions should be given to Richard’s uncle, King William of Castille, or granted their independence. He is willing to consider other proposals, but most agree that it will be difficult for the Normans to expand anywhere else if the Spanish lands are retained.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

To make it clear, I'm looking for votes/arguments on three separate issues: whether Robert should be legitimized, who should be granted the Kingdom of Jerusalem (Robert, Abelard, or someone outside the royal line), and what should be done with the Spanish provinces (given up so that we can focus elsewhere, or kept with a continued focus on Spain). Not everyone has to vote on each if they don't wish to.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

YF-23 posted:

It should be possible but if memory serves me right illegitimate bastards cannot pass down their dynasty, so unless we first married him to a girl from the d'Hauteville dynasty we would be giving Jerusalem to a foreign dynasty.

This is what I will do if Robert is sent to Jerusalem without being legitimized (which is a perfectly valid vote, by the way - it would mean that he is far away from Sicily and not in line for the throne, which is exactly what his enemies at court would want). There are plenty of distant cousins who could marry him and keep Jerusalem as part of the dynasty.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Jazerus posted:

You should keep Spain but there's no real need to focus 100% of our efforts over there. If you have an opportunity you can take the rest of Aragon but the rest of Spain is probably beyond our reach right now. Holding on to territory in Aragon should not cause any conflicts with Castille, and eventually we could spin off a d'Hauteville Aragon maybe. Tunis would be a pretty easy and logical expansion direction right now, too.

The idea is that maintaining the Spanish holdings and expanding into North Africa are mutually exclusive, due to the resources necessary to accomplish both. Of course in game terms it's not actually necessary, but the point in this case is to limit myself to avoid exponential expansion - it will be either Spain or North Africa (for now), not both.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Eleven: The Young King (1123-1127)

The issue of Robert’s legitimization is contentious, but ultimately a majority of the Curia Regis agrees with Duke Guy’s proposal. Robert is no longer a bastard, and is confirmed as the Richard’s heir should the young king die before having children.

In accordance with the wishes of the Curia Regis, Richard officially abdicates as King of Jerusalem, and the kingdom passes to Robert.

While the decision to separate the kingdoms was accepted as inevitable by most, a few of Richard’s vassals nevertheless use it as a way to criticize the king. Richard is unpopular with many of his Norman vassals, who are unhappy with a child ruler. In the capital, however, Guy’s influence ensures that the king remains safe.

As a way of heading off criticism that Richard lost a crown for nothing, Guy has Richard crowned King of Sardinia, hoping to make up for the loss of Jerusalem.

Under Guy’s guidance, Richard’s early years remain without incident, and the king eventually grows old enough to have a hand in ruling his domain. He does not display any particular capacity for rule, however, and he continues to trust Guy to exercise control over most affairs of state.

As compensation for losing his place as Richard’s heir presumptive, Prince Abelard is granted the Duchy of Apulia, the original seat of his family’s power.

In 1125, Richard’s early years of peace come to an end with a declaration of war by the Byzantines, who wish to reclaim the lands around Dyrrachion captured so long ago by Robert Guiscard.

Though he fears battle itself, Richard is much less reticent about the possibility of his armies winning glory in war. He eagerly orders Norman armies under the command of the Dukes of Calabria and Salerno across the strait to defend his Greek possessions.

The first major engagement is the Battle of Servia, where Guy of Salerno – last living brother of Bohemond the Great – does battle with a Greek army while the Duke of Calabria marches to his aid.

The battle goes poorly at first, but the arrival of the Duke of Calabria turns the tides, securing the Normans the war’s first victory.

The Greeks have begun to siege Dyrrachion in the meantime, however, and Guy’s army is forced to march back to deal with them.

The battle is a catastrophe. The Greeks are well-prepared and take advantage of poor coordination among the Norman leaders. Before long, the Normans are in full retreat and Dyrrachion is lost.

Humiliated by the defeat, Richard is irrationally terrified of a Byzantine invasion of Italy, despite the advice of his advisors. He insists that they sue for peace, agreeing to cede all Norman lands in Greece back to the empire.

With Dyrrachion lost, Norman attempts to control trade through the Aegean are foiled.

Richard does not spend long stewing in his own frustration. Eager for victory, he chooses an opponent Sicily cannot possibly be defeated by: the tiny Republic of San Marino.

What results cannot truly be called a war. Though the Sammarinese defend their mountainous homeland valiantly, the Normans eventually capture the city. The acquisition is of questionable value given the effort that may be required to maintain it, but for now, Richard’s ego is salved slightly.

On his return from San Marino, Richard passes through Rome, where he meets with Pope Innocent. To his surprise and delight, the Pope announces to him that he is calling another crusade, this one to end any further threat to Christian control of Jerusalem. He intends to do this by invading Egypt and crushing the Fatimids once and for all.

Richard wastes no time in agreeing to join the crusade, eager to replicate the feats of his grandfather King Bohemond.

Unlike in the Greek war, Richard accompanies his men on the trip to Jerusalem, knowing that he must set foot in the Holy Land himself to be a true crusader. He does not, however, lead the army himself, preferring to allow his battle-hardened vassals to lead.

The Normans fight their first battle outside Petra, where they take a smaller Fatimid army by surprise.

The enemy army is effectively destroyed, and Richard has his first taste of real victory.

Overconfident and eager for further success, Richard quickly orders an attack on the next Muslim army discovered. This one, however, is larger and led by seasoned Ghazis, or Muslim holy warriors.

Outnumbered and outmatched, the Normans collapse before Richard’s eyes, forcing the leaders into ignominious retreat.

The king himself does not escape, however. Outrun by enemy cavalry, he is recognized for who he is and taken captive.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Nevets posted:

Is Robert still heir?

Yes. Richard isn't even married.

And for the people asking about Robert being in the war, he didn't join the crusade. He's had his own issues to deal with in Jerusalem.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Twelve: The Fall of Cairo (1128-1136)

While Richard is in Egypt – and now imprisoned as well – Duke Guy once again becomes the de facto ruler of Sicily.

Despite the victory at Eilat, the Fatimid Caliph’s situation is dire. The Second Crusade has drawn even greater support than the first, and the Egyptians are incapable of stemming the tide. Led by King Armand of England, the crusader forces have taken several key cities already.

Even after Armand himself is captured, the crusaders press on. A few months later, Cairo itself falls, and the Caliph flees south, abandoning Egypt to the crusaders.

Ecstatic at another great victory, the crusaders proclaim the Christian Kingdom of Egypt. Only Aswan remains under Fatimid control, and it is there that the Caliph retreats, his territories outside of Egypt abandoning him.

Unlike during the First Crusade, it is not a highborn prince who is given the crown. It is a modest Norman nobleman by the name of Randolf de Burton who distinguished himself in spectacular fashion at the siege of Cairo. He is considered the hero of the crusade and quickly elected king.

Meanwhile, Richard returns home without glamour, a hefty ransom purchasing his freedom. Though he is credited by the Pope with contributing to the crusader victory, it is a hollow honour for one who wished himself to be the true hero of the crusade.

Upon his return, he is quickly introduced to the noblewoman Guy has chosen for him to marry, a daughter of the German branch of House Bosonid and heiress to the Duchy of Provence. A highly capable woman, Queen Wulfhilde quickly takes on many of the responsibilities of state that Richard shies away from.

King Richard is more concerned with his still-wounded pride. Realizing that San Marino was far too small a target, he instead chooses to make an enemy of the child Duke of Modena.

His goal is the County of Spoleto, the southernmost of Modena’s lands and a relatively easy target for the Normans.

Spoleto itself falls quickly, before the Modenans can even mount a proper response.

While one army besieges the coveted county, another, led by Faramond, the new Duke of Salerno, pursues the Modenan army.

They catch and defeat them at the Battle of Cervia, effectively ending their hopes of halting the Sicilian advance.

The young duke has no choice but to surrender and save his other lands.

The victory ensures that Sicilian influence reaches as far north as ever, and many in Northern Italy fear the idea, however far-off, of peninsular unification.

Richard gains no pleasure from his success, however. The constant pressure he feels to live up the standards of his ancestors weighs heavily on him, and the difficulties of war in particular get to him.

To make matters worse, he finds himself falling ill at the same time. He begins to feel that he is cursed, doomed to failure and incapable of ruling his kingdom.

For days at a time he refuses to rise from bed, even after his body begins to recover from illness. He sinks into depression, unable to find any pleasure or satisfaction in his life. He becomes convinced that he will die soon, and makes no effort to pay attention to affairs of the realm.

Duke Guy and Queen Wulfhilde do their best to maintain the realm, but king’s inability to even speak in their favour leaves them vulnerable. Many vassals begin to question Richard’s rule, and his brothers Abelard and Roger begin plotting against each other, each seeing himself as a possible heir to the childless Richard – the promise that Robert of Jerusalem would be his heir conveniently forgotten.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter Thirteen: Man of Peace (1137-1149)

King Richard languishes in his dark state for months. Just when it seems that nothing will bring him out of it, Queen Wulfhilde finally gives birth to their first child, a son named Roger.

The effect on Richard seems to his court to be nothing short of a miracle. Seeing his infant son makes Richard smile for the first time in months, and slowly but steadily he comes out of his depression, the young boy his link back to the world.

Richard seems a changed man, filled with a new resolve to live a different sort of life. No more is he concerned with living up to the legacy of his forebears, nor with petty material things or pointless excess.

Richard has a more important goal: to do everything he can to care for his family, his subjects, and his kingdom. He swears off aggressive war, no longer able to accept the pointless loss of life he saw in his younger days, and instead puts as much of the state’s money as possible into building projects.

He sponsors missions to bring the light of God into the hearts of the heathens in Spain, as well, concerned for the wellbeing of his subjects’ souls as well as their bodies.

He encourages trade and development rather than conflict, and as the years roll by, Sicily begins to reap the rewards of his success.

In days past, such a passive attitude from a weak king would no doubt have played poorly with the Norman lords. But a new generation of feudal rulers is emerging, ones less concerned with future conquests and more concerned with stability and prosperity.

While the Kingdom of Sicily sits idle, however, important events are occurring elsewhere on the Mediterranean. The Occitan lands of Aquitaine and Toulouse are in open rebellion against the King of France, seeking freedom from their bonds of vassalage.

To the east, the two great crusader states are already bickering, as Robert of Jerusalem claims that many of the Egyptian lands were already promised to him.

Queen Wulfhilde is forced to leave Palermo for some time when the death of her mother leaves her as Duchess of Provence.

While King Richard is largely unconcerned with foreign affairs, Duke Guy recognizes a remarkable opportunity when King Randolf of Egypt and his young son both die, leaving his daughter Yvon heir to Egypt. Guy quickly manoeuvres to have Prince Roger marry the young queen.

While the marriage is fortuitous, it also presents problems. If Roger inherits the throne of Sicily and produces an heir, that son would unite Sicily and Egypt under one crown, creating the same problem that the Sicilian lords previously had with the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

In order to address the issue, Richard and Guy look to the Curia Regis for advice. The first plan proposed is that of King Richard, who, while open to hearing the opinion of his councillors, is reluctant to disinherit Roger, even if his eldest son already has a kingdom. He would see succession by primogeniture firmly established as the law of Sicily.

The Egyptian lands are far off, but not so far as to make governing them impossible, especially with the help of King Robert. Whether said help would be granted is another question, however, considering his encroachment upon Egyptian territory.

Queen Wulfhilde, on the other hand, would prefer that their second son Robert inherit. At the moment Robert is betrothed to the child queen of Aragon, and Wulfhilde believes that uniting Aragon under the Sicilian crown would be the most practical course of action.

With her homeland of Provence joined to Sicily as well, it would be unchallenged for dominance of the Western Mediterranean.

Duke Guy has his own proposal, however. He argues that Roger and Robert should be left their kingdoms through their wives and that Prince William, Richard’s third and perhaps most promising son, should be named heir. While William is unlikely to happen upon a marriage as beneficial as those of his brothers, Guy believes Aragon to be as poor a long-term prospect for expansion as Egypt. Rather, he still dreams of the North African invasion he proposed to the Curia Regis so long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

William inherits. This is CK2 and I fully expect one branch or another to dry out and cause a rejoining of kingdoms anyway. Let's not waste a top-notch heir.

This isn't necessarily an endorsement of the North Africa plan, though. I'd rather see King William focus on expanding north.

To clarify, going with William would not necessarily mean a North African invasion. Guy just really wants that (probably to do with all the gold that comes through North Africa) and he knows that isn't going to happen while the focus remains on Spain.

Readingaccount posted:

Hey, guys, let's vote to have Guy pressure the King to invade North Africa and grant him the Duchy seized. He's been a good and loyal servant and he keeps whining about North Africa, who better to serve as our local strongman?

You guys should feel free to suggest stuff like this, by the way. It won't be binding the way votes are, but I like getting suggestions in the thread and I will take it into account in future updates if something gets a lot of support.

• Locked thread