Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i used the $10 i got from Sony for whatever reason and got Ys 7 for my Vita and it's not that bad but i usually end up playing as Adol anyway. I have noticed that there are indeed time where i'm low on Gold because you're always buying new equipment for at least 3 characters Adol, Dogi and whoever is tagging along at the time and Skills need to be at least level 1 before you can equip a weapon that doesn't have the skill attached to it. So far it's not very difficult once you get the third party member since the other members are invincible when you're not in control of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Lance Streetman posted:

So I just got to the Lava Zone in Oath and I gotta say, I think I actually prefer this game to Origin. The leveling is hosed right up the rear end compared to Origin, sure, but I feel like it's forcing me to make use of my character's abilities far more than Origin did.

Ys Origin expects you to grind even on Normal difficulty (eg: 3 lv+ before Gelaldy if you're not awful, another 2 before Jenocres, etc) whereas Oath was designed carefully such that you can go through Normal grind free if you're any bit decent. On Normal you can fight Galbalan as short as Lv46 which is light as heck considering how much exp you get in Genos Island.

I always thought they put more thought into the actual mechanic progression of Oath than in Origin, and I'll always like Oath more for that. I have other reasons but I prefer to reason over gameplay than story/etc in Ys games since that's really what it's about.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Well I haven't gotten to Oath yet but in Origin I only really had to grind once. (in order to beat those things that power the Evil Ring as Hugo). Every other time it's like, go top up a level at worst, but otherwise everything's doable just fine. Gelaldy's a wake up call for sure but once you figure him out he's not hard. I didn't even think Jenocres was hard at all. Probably the only bosses I thought were notably hard in that game were Khonsclard and Shion, and even then you shouldn't have to grind for them. Not on Normal at least.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Yo. If anybody wants to see what other types of games Falcom makes, Cake Attack just started an LP of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538755

:getin:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Yo. If anybody wants to see what other types of games Falcom makes, Cake Attack just started an LP of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538755

:getin:

Oh no, that game looks interesting, too! :ohdear:

Since I've only played Ys Origin, I'm a bit hesitant to pick up Ys Seven because the gameplay is different, so I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much. Hopefully, I'll be able to get Ys I+II soon from Steam so I can see how the bump gameplay goes.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i picked up my Yunica run again and i'm up against Psychmantis and tips? I've gotten all of the upgrades i can so far so should i just dodge all his attacks and spam the Fire Magic or is there some magical easy way to fight him i don't know about.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

What level are you?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lance Streetman posted:

So I just got to the Lava Zone in Oath and I gotta say, I think I actually prefer this game to Origin. The leveling is hosed right up the rear end compared to Origin, sure, but I feel like it's forcing me to make use of my character's abilities far more than Origin did.

Oath is really the better game; although that doesn't mean Origin is bad. They're both great. I don't believe leveling is that much different between the two as long as you're fighting most of the enemies along the way. As you said, one thing that Oath does better is making you use different abilities and the bosses have more ways of being beaten than in Origin where it was almost a requirement to sit back and widdle them down by spamming charged Phoenix Flame over and over.

Edit:

Smornstein posted:

So i picked up my Yunica run again and i'm up against Psychmantis and tips? I've gotten all of the upgrades i can so far so should i just dodge all his attacks and spam the Fire Magic or is there some magical easy way to fight him i don't know about.

Spam Fire Magic. It's the only way to be sure.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 17, 2013

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I forgot Origin likes to make you grind had to get to level 41 to beat the drat thing.

Smornstein fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 17, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you get right up next to the mantis boss you can run circles around it faster than it can turn, jumping when it does horizontal swipes. This is more useful for Toal but it's good to know for the others.

Also to actually fight the final boss in Origin you need to play as Toal, which means no projectile spamming the bosses to death. And speaking of grinding, I beat Nightmare Toal recently. The level pacing slows way down in Nightmare. I had to go back and grind at least one level before every boss. It doesn't help you're SP poor the whole game either. To beat Darm I had to grind enough that beating Dalles would push me up to 51, and at that point all the enemies give crap experience. It sucked more because I could ALMOST beat the last boss at 50, but the very final phase had too many different attacks getting me every time :(

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I finished Origin with Hugo yesterday. I think I came away from that thinking the same thing as most of the other people in this thread. Playing as Hugo was fun for the catharsis of totally destroying everything that gave me trouble as Yunica but it feels like most of the game was designed around the other characters. I started a playthrough with Toal a little bit ago, and so far I think he's my favorite character. The first two mid-bosses were more fun than just about any boss fight with Hugo.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
So is Ys I+II easy and fun to get into? After beating Origin (still replaying it on hard), I want to see how the story connects with Ys 1+II, though I'm hoping for a sale soon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ryuga Death posted:

So is Ys I+II easy and fun to get into? After beating Origin (still replaying it on hard), I want to see how the story connects with Ys 1+II, though I'm hoping for a sale soon.

I found them to be significantly harder to get into due to the differences in the gameplay. I loved Origin, but in I+II you have to deal with this bumper type attack system which not only is a pain to get used to, but even when you do its not half as fun as the hack and slash gameplay in Origin and Oath.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ys 2 is fun but requires some grinding here and there. Especially near the end and right at the beginning when you need to grind cash. I'd give it a go.

Ys 1 is pretty average and short but has some of the shittiest bosses I have ever seen.

I'd say wait for a sale or just watch a LP.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I finished Origin with Hugo yesterday. I think I came away from that thinking the same thing as most of the other people in this thread. Playing as Hugo was fun for the catharsis of totally destroying everything that gave me trouble as Yunica but it feels like most of the game was designed around the other characters. I started a playthrough with Toal a little bit ago, and so far I think he's my favorite character. The first two mid-bosses were more fun than just about any boss fight with Hugo.

Toal is by far my favorite of the bunch-I really loved his playstyle and how he almost felt like Ys' first 'proto-monk' with his claws. (Going to start a harder playthrough with him soon.) I also loved his story, like, a lot. He became an utter beast.

How his game is the canon story as said by Word of God, and how you discover the origin of the Books of Ys in his ending. I do admit though, I have to wonder why they had you unlock the main canon character by playing through one of the 'what if' stories first. I think the only other time I saw you having to unlock the actual main character of a game was in one of the Megaman games. It's Origin's only design decision I'm curious about. Granted, I found him the most overpowered at the bunch at the end(huge damage AND fast attack speed), so that might be some of it.

I really like the old Ys games a lot, bumper system and all, but I was already used to it from playing them back in the day. I much prefer the Oath/Origins engine, and I'd love to see the old games done in that style one day, but I am playing Chronicles off and on these days(on the PSP.) The music sounds great,though dare I say I prefer the intro to the Turbo version.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 21, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm playing Ys Origin with Yunica. This is my first time playing Ys. Not too much trouble so far, except fuuuuuck this arthropod boss. Jesus, what a dick. By the time you get to the last few spikes there's just constant poison eggs all over the ground at all times.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Well i beat Origin as Yunica this morning now to beat it with Claw. I've heard you can unlock Adol somehow is this true because i'd imagine he'd play just like Yunica since they're pretty much carbon copies of each other.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know, from the trailer of Ys I+II, the combat looks fun and simple. :smith: Plus, I want to buy it anyway to show that it'd be nice if they released their other Ys games onto PC.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm playing Ys Origin with Yunica. This is my first time playing Ys. Not too much trouble so far, except fuuuuuck this arthropod boss. Jesus, what a dick. By the time you get to the last few spikes there's just constant poison eggs all over the ground at all times.

I found it easy to just constantly jump around and avoid the gas bombs that way. Then again, I thought all of the bosses were really fun in Origin whereas others hated the bosses, so maybe I'm just dumb. :shobon:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know, from the trailer of Ys I+II, the combat looks fun and simple. :smith: Plus, I want to buy it anyway to show that it'd be nice if they released their other Ys games onto PC.

I found it easy to just constantly jump around and avoid the gas bombs that way. Then again, I thought all of the bosses were really fun in Origin whereas others hated the bosses, so maybe I'm just dumb. :shobon:

I am jumping a lot, but I still get hit because I'm in a pretty localized area when I'm trying to destroy these spikes and the gas bombs literally cover the floor. I did really like the other bosses so far, I'm just kind of stuck on this one. I just found out I missed an axe upgrade, though. Maybe that's the key.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Smornstein posted:

Well i beat Origin as Yunica this morning now to beat it with Claw. I've heard you can unlock Adol somehow is this true because i'd imagine he'd play just like Yunica since they're pretty much carbon copies of each other.

You can unlock Ys 6 and Oath Adols for Arena and Boss Rush mode after you finish with Toal.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Don't let the negative comments stop you from trying it. It's fun, you just have to go in with the knowledge that's it's a remake of a really, really old game. If you find yourself having trouble with the game, just refer to Toddy's LP of it for help.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I am jumping a lot, but I still get hit because I'm in a pretty localized area when I'm trying to destroy these spikes and the gas bombs literally cover the floor. I did really like the other bosses so far, I'm just kind of stuck on this one. I just found out I missed an axe upgrade, though. Maybe that's the key.

If you swap to wind skill, you can quickly clean out a lot of the bombs while focusing on the last part of the shell. I found it a lot easier to blow up the shell parts near the head first, then the tail, but you can always grind a level and make it a lot easier if you want.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just did it. I had no idea you could knock the poison bombs out of the way, or that you could blow up shell parts out of order :stare: I found out both of those things on the same attempt and then killed him the next try.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Does anyone have some advice for Khonsclard on Nightmare, playing as The Claw? I grinded a bit to Level 33 but he starts healing so fast and I have trouble killing the small monsters fast enough. So far my strategy has been to avoid his attacks by going in the upper left or upper right corner and then stun him but I still end up getting hit by that fire attack and he just wears me down slowly.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
I've now played Chronicles+, Oath, and Origin (as Hugo & The Claw) and I can't quite believe it, but I think this is my favorite series ever. Playing Chronicles+ then Origin was fantastic; the games support each other so well. I think my favorite bit from Claw's ending in Origin was showing the reason for the silver sword being there in Ys I, heh. When I played that, I was all like "who buried a sword under a talking tree, and what for?" I didn't expect an answer.

I'm suspiciously out of Ys games to play now, especially without a PSP. I'd really like to try Seven, too. One thing I'm wondering though; the storyline involving primarily Ys itself, Ys 0 -> Ys 1 -> Ys 2: does it stop there? Do later games chronologically ever return to Ys or is that it? Or, do any descendants show up anywhere? I'd be wondering if there are any other Facts roaming around, since Hugo was left on the surface.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm really glad they put these on Steam because holy poo poo these games are fun and I had barely even heard of them before they did that.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

The Mimic posted:

I've now played Chronicles+, Oath, and Origin (as Hugo & The Claw) and I can't quite believe it, but I think this is my favorite series ever. Playing Chronicles+ then Origin was fantastic; the games support each other so well. I think my favorite bit from Claw's ending in Origin was showing the reason for the silver sword being there in Ys I, heh. When I played that, I was all like "who buried a sword under a talking tree, and what for?" I didn't expect an answer.

I'm suspiciously out of Ys games to play now, especially without a PSP. I'd really like to try Seven, too. One thing I'm wondering though; the storyline involving primarily Ys itself, Ys 0 -> Ys 1 -> Ys 2: does it stop there? Do later games chronologically ever return to Ys or is that it? Or, do any descendants show up anywhere? I'd be wondering if there are any other Facts roaming around, since Hugo was left on the surface.

Ys IV: Dawn of Ys has been retconned by the new Ys Celceta, which is an enormous remake of 4 for Vita that completely changes tons of things.

However, Dawn of Ys is actually a direct sequel to Ys II that even begins with killing Darm in this cool rear end cutscene, so if you want to play it go right ahead. None of the later games in the series are directly connected to each other like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvSK4ErPcio

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

The Mimic posted:

Ys IV (SNES and PCE) returns to Esteria at points. They even have Darm Tower in it, but it's far less challenging (save for that loving fight against Garuda, he's awesome but seriously gently caress that fight).

With regards to the storyline chronology technically every single Ys game leads on to one another in some away except for Ys III which happens after Ys IV. It's a massive spoiler for Ys VI if I say how the games are tied together and it's completely out of left field, so just take my word on it.

Or play Ys VI, your choice I guess.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

toddy. posted:

Ys IV (SNES and PCE) returns to Esteria at points. They even have Darm Tower in it, but it's far less challenging (save for that loving fight against Garuda, he's awesome but seriously gently caress that fight).

With regards to the storyline chronology technically every single Ys game leads on to one another in some away except for Ys III which happens after Ys IV. It's a massive spoiler for Ys VI if I say how the games are tied together and it's completely out of left field, so just take my word on it.

Or play Ys VI, your choice I guess.

I thought that with the release of Ys: Celceta and Ys: Oath, this was reversed? At least, that's the impression I got from the ending of Ys: Oath and the story details released so far for Celceta. Though I haven't seen the ending to IV, so maybe that will clear things up.

Ed: I mean Ys VI.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 24, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Oh yeah, this might as well be a Falcom general so I'll just mention that I picked this up since I never got around to it.

The only version that appeared in the States was on the goddamned N-gage, so yeah. Really looking forward to playing this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sandpiper posted:

Oh yeah, this might as well be a Falcom general so I'll just mention that I picked this up since I never got around to it.

It's a pretty good game, especially if you like more story-based Diablo clones like Record of Lodoss War. The translation patch is of fairly good quality, too. The N-gage version is shite, feel free to forget it exists.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Thanks for the information. It's a little overwhelming to understand the direction of the series.

Xanadu: is that from the series where it's sort of a platformer, and characters can age? If it's what I'm thinking of, it always reminded me of a RPG/Platformer Wizardry. Nice find, that couldn't have been easy to get.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Mimic posted:

Xanadu: is that from the series where it's sort of a platformer, and characters can age? If it's what I'm thinking of, it always reminded me of a RPG/Platformer Wizardry.

That would be Sorcerian, I believe.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Falcom really goes all out to make their packaging appealing. I have Felghana PC and the purple marble theme is positively hypnotic.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

The Mimic posted:

Thanks for the information. It's a little overwhelming to understand the direction of the series.

Xanadu: is that from the series where it's sort of a platformer, and characters can age? If it's what I'm thinking of, it always reminded me of a RPG/Platformer Wizardry. Nice find, that couldn't have been easy to get.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/xanadu/xanadu.htm

You're close. This is Xanadu. Xanadu Next, however, is a Diablo-like that strips out the bullshit that plagues the Diablo games and replaces it with good story and a lot more streamlined progression, as far as I can tell. At least from what I know about it.

And yes, it wasn't that easy to get. Quite hard, actually, the copies on Rakuten were either the XP versions which don't run on 7/Vista, or scratched to gently caress, or both. I had to use a proxy service and Yahoo Japan Auctions to get it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

sandpiper posted:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/xanadu/xanadu.htm

You're close. This is Xanadu. Xanadu Next, however, is a Diablo-like that strips out the bullshit that plagues the Diablo games and replaces it with good story and a lot more streamlined progression, as far as I can tell. At least from what I know about it.

And yes, it wasn't that easy to get. Quite hard, actually, the copies on Rakuten were either the XP versions which don't run on 7/Vista, or scratched to gently caress, or both. I had to use a proxy service and Yahoo Japan Auctions to get it.

drat, that's some effort. And yeah, this doubles as a general Falcom thread. If people feel like doing write-ups of other Falcom products, I'm happy to put them in the OP.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Lance Streetman posted:

drat, that's some effort. And yeah, this doubles as a general Falcom thread. If people feel like doing write-ups of other Falcom products, I'm happy to put them in the OP.

Speaking of Falcom products, after playing Trails in the Sky the Sora no Kiseki series has become literally my favorite RPG in all my years of playing videogames so you can imagine my pain at Second Chapter being put on the backburner and given lower priority and slower progress (XSEED's paraphrased words, not mine) while they translate other games.

For those of you that haven't played it because you don't have a PSP, imagine a turn-based RPG with strategic elements that actually uses field placement for strategy as well as elemental attacks/weaknesses and attack radius calculation. Also, certain skills advance or delay 'turns', so part of the strategy is messing with turn orders so you can get a bunch of people in your party to go first. Due to the fact that the player sneaking up behind a monster gives the party the element of surprise, this can give you a big advantage in messing with turn order and the like. (there are no random battles)

On top of that, imagine a game where every single NPC had something interesting to say, and every single one said something new based on something you were doing ingame or the more the story progressed, and a lot of them were connected and had their own little stories to tell depending on when you talked to them and if you talked to someone else first.

Imagine not being the actual center of the plot most of the time but doing things like helping people clear their farms in the very beginning and having it being a really well put together, heartwarming sidequest, or escorting people through dangerous areas, and actually feeling like you're accomplishing something and learning to be a real Bracer (a private organization dedicated to enforcing the law) without it getting monotonous.

Your party is not the most awesome group of people in the world, your father and quite a few other people are, and they get to do the most awesome stuff. This allows the player to feel like the world is enormous, full of mystery, and like you're a small cog in a much larger turning set of machinery that is driving a much more dramatic and mysterious set of events you're not fully aware of.

God, I don't know what it is about that game but it just hits so many of the right notes with me that I can't help but gush about it given the opportunity. The music is loving incredible, because it's Falcom. The plot is great fun and it's like playing a real-deal 90's RPG again, which I thought was a completely dead 'feeling' that no one would ever replicate ever again. The main character, Estelle, is one of my favorite female leads in a videogame. Et cetera.

Man I typed a lot of words about that.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sandpiper posted:

On top of that, imagine a game where every single NPC had something interesting to say, and every single one said something new based on something you were doing ingame or the more the story progressed, and a lot of them were connected and had their own little stories to tell depending on when you talked to them and if you talked to someone else first.

And every treasure chest has a unique line once it's empty. The only equivalents to the battle system I can think of are Wild ARMs 4/5 and Arc: Twilight of the Spirits. So, if you've played either of those you have a bit of an inkling as to what TitS is like.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh god, does this mean I need a vita? I could use it to play those PSP games, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You sure can. 'sides, you need a Vita for Celceta. You need Celceta. Need.

• Locked thread