Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe, i dunno. I stopped following LPs a while ago to be honest. It depends on how I feel once I beat the game really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I loved the one you did of FC. It was amusing to read and I frequently used it as reference while working on my FC NPC-categorization list.

But I get that it's a lot of work. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

Maybe, i dunno. I stopped following LPs a while ago to be honest. It depends on how I feel once I beat the game really

I'd follow the LP if you made another one. Your FC LP was really well-constructed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

Your FC LP is the only reason I even know Trails in the Sky exists.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

yesssssss

this is the best news

hoping for a day one discount though cause the aussie $ is literally poo poo

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Has anyone tested Trails FC or SC in a virtual machine?

Yeah I'm probably going to end up buying SC for both platforms (I already bought FC on both), but I'm curious if running inside a virtual guest is viable, since I'm trying to move away from Windows for the most part and the less I have to hard dual-boot the better.

(Yes I'm already aware of the 'Steam doesn't like running the same account on multiple machines at once so exit it in the host before starting it in the guest' caveat.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 25, 2015

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I checked this thread again because a friend of mine said incorrectly that Cold Steel was coming out next week. I thought I should check here to see if there was any news, and this became the best day in my week instantly.

I expect that status to be immediately supplanted as soon as SC is on my computer.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to end up buying SC for both platforms (I already bought FC on both), but I'm curious if running inside a virtual guest is viable, since I'm trying to move away from Windows for the most part and the less I have to hard dual-boot the better.

(Yes I'm already aware of the 'Steam doesn't like running the same account on multiple machines at once so exit it in the host before starting it in the guest' caveat.)

The game works fine in Wine if that helps, so long as you disable all of the movies. Though SC also has a heck of a lot more movies than FC, so you miss out on all of those.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Aside from what Sara said, the game's system requirements (virtual or otherwise) are still pretty simple, even in HD mode. So long as you can throw a working hardware vertex shader at the game and give it a decent bit of VRAM for the HD assets and the framebuffer, there should be no problems.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So is anyone planning on a new thread? The OP hasnt posted in here since around the time FC came out and given all the falcom stuff that come out in the interim + SC next week we could probably use a fresh coat of paint.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'll do it tomorrow, i guess, although it won't be super indepth or anything because i favor short OPs. RIP lance streetman

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

So is anyone planning on a new thread? The OP hasnt posted in here since around the time FC came out and given all the falcom stuff that come out in the interim + SC next week we could probably use a fresh coat of paint.

Yeah I mentioned before the OP left something awful completely

do it, make the new thread

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I offered to redo it and it was followed by a consensus of "no" but yeah if you need any help putting poo poo together hit me up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

toddy. posted:

I offered to redo it and it was followed by a consensus of "no" but yeah if you need any help putting poo poo together hit me up.

this is not just addressed at your specifically, but rather anyone, but what falcom games are there in english that aren't ys or kiseki?

I can think of Brandish, Xanadu Next, Nayuta no kiseki, Gurumin, LoH 3-5, and i guess alternative saga since it's both ys and kiseki.

also what are considered some of the best ys tracks? i can handle LoH but i get so focused when i play ys i end up tuning the music out and don't remember most of it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I forgot all about Brandish, was that any good? I own pretty much every other Falcom game available in English, so.
E: I mean the PSP remake specifically

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 26, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

this is not just addressed at your specifically, but rather anyone, but what falcom games are there in english that aren't ys or kiseki?

I can think of Brandish, Xanadu Next, Nayuta no kiseki, Gurumin, LoH 3-5, and i guess alternative saga since it's both ys and kiseki.

also what are considered some of the best ys tracks? i can handle LoH but i get so focused when i play ys i end up tuning the music out and don't remember most of it

Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes saw a western release if I recall correctly. Other than that, you have most of it covered from my knowledge.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

Popful Mail. Not that it genuinely matters: the US release was Sega CD.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkDasPSBMms

e: tbh just have this gif be the only thing in the OP

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 26, 2015

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I forgot all about Brandish, was that any good? I own pretty much every other Falcom game available in English, so.
E: I mean the PSP remake specifically

Yeah, it's a good puzzley dungeon crawler. Lots of devious difficulty due to its heritage as an older game. The camera rotation gimmick is still baffling to me though, and is only a detriment in my eyes. If you aren't aware, the world rotates instead of your character rotating.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed Brandish a lot. Some of the later levels sure do get frustrating but not in a bad way.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cake Attack posted:

A couple of memorable ones:

Ys1:
- First Step towards Wars
- Tower of the Shadow of Death
- Dreaming

Ys2:
- Ice Ridge of Noltia
- Palace of Solomon
- To make the End of Battle
- Overdrive
- Termination

Ys Felghana:
- The Boy's got Wings
- Searing Struggle
- Valestein Castle
- Sealed Time
- Chop!!
- Believe in my Heart
- Beat of Destruction
- The Strongest Foe

Ys Napishtim:
- Release of the Far West Ocean
- Quatera Woods
- Ultramarine Deep
- Mighty Obstacle
- Ernst
- The Depth Napishtim
- Spread Blue View

Ys Origin:
- Genesis Beyond the Beginning
- The Guidance of a White Tower
- Scars of the Divine Wing
- Water Prison
- Scarlet Tempest
- Silent Desert
- Samsara and Paramnesia

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cake Attack posted:

The full English release history:

Dragon Slayer 4/Legacy of the Wizard: NES (c. 1989)
Ys 1: Sega Master System, DOS (c.1989)
Faxanadu: NES (c.1989)
Sorcerian: DOS (c. 1990)
Tombs & Treasure/Asteka 2: NES (c. 1991)
Ys 1&2 OG: TG16CD (c. 1991)
Ys 3 Wanderers: TG16CD, Genesis, SNES (c. 1991)
Legend of Heroes 1: TG16CD (c. 1992)
Brandish: SNES (c.1995)
Popful Mail: SegaCD (c. 1995)
[TUMBLEWEEDS]
Xanadu Next: N-Gage c.2005, PC 2016
Ys 6: PS2 2005, PSP 2006, PC 2015
Legend of Heroes 4: PSP 2005
Legend of Heroes 3: PSP 2006
Legend of Heroes 5: PSP 2007
Gurumin: PSP 2007, PC 2015
Ys 7: PSP 2010
Ys 1&2 enhanced: PSP 2011, PC 2013
Ys Oath: PSP 2010, PC 2012
Trails in the Sky: PSP 2011, PC 2014
Ys Origin: PC 2012
Ys 4 Celceta: Vita 2013
Trails in the Sky SC: PC & PSP 2015
Trails of Cold Steel: PS3 & Vita 2015

especially sad: I remember reading about basically all those NES releases at the top in Nintendo Power

gently caress I am old

Erpy basically covered Best Ys Tunes, though the vocal version of Believe in my Heart is especially amazing for sounding like it's straight out of a 90s anime end credits sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yF6kXc3aws

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 26, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

SpaceDrake posted:

Xanadu Next: N-Gage c.2005

This one's always fun to be reminded of

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'll probably not include anything pre 2000 that's not Ys, unless someone wants to provide one or two sentence blurbs for them in my place.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If the "Believe in My Heart"-vocalisation Spacedrake linked to is to be the ending tune of an anime, this vocalized version of "Release of the Far West Ocean" should be its intro.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Also it might not hurt to mention tokyo xanadu and ys 8 somehow.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good news everyone I took next monday off

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Where's the save cake attack

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

I already have Thursday, Friday and Saturday off. :smug:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Do you want a little screenshot too, or just a blurb

Erpy posted:

If the "Believe in My Heart"-vocalisation Spacedrake linked to is to be the ending tune of an anime, this vocalized version of "Release of the Far West Ocean" should be its intro.

p. much, yeah

where is my modern-but-90s-as-gently caress Ys anime, Falcom

where is it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no screenshot really, big giant ops get intimidating and skipped so all I intend to have is a sentence or two about what the game is and the platforms it's on. a bunch of images would get cluttery

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

where is my modern-but-90s-as-gently caress Ys anime, Falcom

where is it

Personally, I'm incredibly satisfied with the hilariously dubbed Ys anime we have now. They had at least 20 different pronunciations for Adol's name and everything!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Re: Music

I only played Felghana kind of recently, and i recognize none of the tracks that the dude up there posted. Well, by name, anyways. I recognize "main adventure theme" as the first one mentioned, and the track Sealed Time is p. good now that i listen to it.
But really the only track i'll never forget from that game is Dark Beasts as Black as the Night.

It's been forever since i played Seven, but i remember it had a few good tracks, too. I'll have to listen to some of them again.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Dragon Slayer 4/Legacy of the Wizard: NES (c. 1989) - Where it began, for America. Giant gently caress-You Maze, The Game. You control four different heroes through a large platforming dungeon broken up into many screens, and each family member can reach different areas due to their different abilities. Noted for being one of Broderbund's only import titles and for the girl and the monsterdog being way OP.

Ys 1: Sega Master System, DOS (c.1989) - Not much to say, it's Ys 1 by itself. Didn't make much of a splash. The DOS version is interesting as it was produced exclusively for the overseas market and was, by appearances, published by a company Falcom was trying to establish as an overseas subsidiary (Kyodai Software Marketing), but Ys 1 was a total flop on the PC due to being a few years late in an era where that meant a lot.

Faxanadu: NES (c.1989) - More side-scrolling ARPG action, and the second Falcom game to come over by dint of being native to the NES and Nintendo themselves being interested in it.

Sorcerian: DOS (c. 1990) - Side-scrolling dungeon action with a party of your own creation. A good LP can be found here. Notable for being the only foray into game importation by Sierra Entertainment (yes, that Sierra) with a generally pretty good translation for the era as a result.

Tombs & Treasure/Asteka 2: NES (c. 1991) - Bit of an oddball adventure game. Came up quite often in Nintendo Power back in the day due to being a little oblique.

Ys 1&2 OG: TG16CD (c. 1991) - The first Ys release everyone remembers. It's bump-and-grind Ys, not much more to say. It does have a real all-star English cast for its day, which leads to the voicework generally being okay.

Ys 3 Wanderers: TG16CD, Genesis, SNES (c. 1991) - The first Falcom game to get a Truly Big Push at the dawn of the 16-bit era. What a loving choice that was - this game is a Not Very Good Platformer with rather janky physics and simple bosses. And since they redlined the VO budget on the previous game, the voicework in this game is hilariously bottom-barrel. LP available here.

Legend of Heroes 1: TG16CD (c. 1992) - MANKIND HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE POISON. The first Legend of Heroes game, which is pretty much a Dragon Quest clone with lots of talking. A long way from here to Trails, for sure. The English version is famous for its legendarily overdone voicework - they were trying to make something cool, but the end result is amazing in a whole different way.

Brandish: SNES (c.1995) - The very first Brandish dungeon crawler. Infamous for being loving terrible, because the implementation of its unique camera system in this version was garbage and made the game a confusing mess.

Popful Mail: SegaCD (c. 1995) - Rescued from becoming Sister Sonic by Working Designs. A fun little platformer ARPG. Being a WD joint, the translation work is pretty solid for the era, and the voices are about what you could expect. Makes pretty good use of the Sega CD to be handsome, too.

Hopefully those aren't too long

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
How is the PSP version of Brandish, anyways? All I've ever seen is the SFC one and it makes my eyes implode.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hivac posted:

How is the PSP version of Brandish, anyways? All I've ever seen is the SFC one and it makes my eyes implode.

Much better. Having an actual 3D camera makes the gimmick of "viewpoint is always slightly elevated above your character, facing forward with him" make at least a modicum of sense and you can now keep track of your direction and where you are due to smooth camera rotation.

It's still a dungeon crawler, through and through, but at least the technology is there to really make it work now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

School Festival in FC is still super good. Should be done this NG+ run well before SC is out at this rate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hivac posted:

It's fun, especially if you like having your wallsballs crushed.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's fun, especially if you like having your wallsballs crushed.

It's Falling Through Pits - The Game. The story even begins with you falling through a pit.

It's loving glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Meanwhile, time for another, more apropos avatar update.

I think this'll do nicely.

Two and a half days, even I'm getting hype.

• Locked thread