Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Here's a question: will Trails work on XP? That's a deal-breaker for me right now since I can't afford to invest into a new OS any time soon (it'd mean investing in a new computer since my current motherboard doesn't support DDR3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Blattdorf posted:

Here's a question: will Trails work on XP? That's a deal-breaker for me right now since I can't afford to invest into a new OS any time soon (it'd mean investing in a new computer since my current motherboard doesn't support DDR3).

Yes it will. I actually use XP32 as my development OS, so if any compatibility problems with XP were to crop up, I'd fix them really quick. But the original Japanese version also works on XP without any problems, so I can't imagine anything too weird will pop up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
CF, too, has a XP testing/development machine we've used for years for backwards compatibility testing. In fact, I'm posting from it right this second. :v:

I should point out, though: at least as far as CF is concerned, SC is likely to be our last certified-XP-compatible game because XP is being EOL'd in April of next year. I would really recommend putting some scratch together for an OS upgrade next year, because any games we accept after that date will not be tested with XP due to it being a deprecated OS.

A number of our games picked up after April 2014 will probably still WORK in XP, mind :v: but aside from SC we won't be doing compatibility testing after that date.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ys ends with an s and if I learned anything in third grade it's that that makes the plural Yi.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just got TitS, is there anything I need to know before playing this game? Any obtuse mechanics or missable items/quests/etc?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
None of the mechanics are obtuse in the slightest. Quests are missable but if you're on the ball and check the bulletin board where they're listed after every plot event, and make sure to explore for secret quests you shouldn't miss any.

There's also a side quest where you collect chapters of a book in exchange for the final weapon of either Joshua or Estelle which you might want a guide for.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

SC Bracer posted:

Missable Stuff
Does anyone know if there is a spoiler-free guide for this stuff?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's not entirely spoiler-free (it has boss names and such), but this should do.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/933329-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/faqs/62079#section40

Just follow it chronologically and you should be fine.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Ys: Memories of Celceta is going to come out on November 26th. Now if only we could get a release date on Trails in the Sky...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
SpaceDrake's rough guesstimate on Twitter for part one is Dec/Jan.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Mokinokaro posted:

I care about this more than any new console coming out or whatever. Good to hear.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Some kind of preorder or price guesstimate would be nice. I can drop 15 euro's sight unseen for a new game every once in a while, but more than that and I'd like to budget for it ahead of time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mokinokaro posted:

That's still super-rough, by the way, and shouldn't be taken as gospel. But I know that is, or was, the initial target date.

Price I have no idea on yet.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Any word on when the EU version of Memories is coming out? I have a feeling it's going to take another year so I'll probably just import it from the states.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Went ahead and put down 20 bucks for the special edition of Memories of Celceta. I shant miss out on these games ever again!

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I just got started on oath in felghana for psp the other day, very impressed with it so far. The first boss (guy throwing magic swords) wrecked me for a good 10 minutes until I left, leveled up and learned his attack pattern a bit better, second boss was just a way to force you to use your new magic bracelet.

Any missable stuff I should keep an eye out for in this game?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure there are no permanently missable elements. You can revisit any dungeon and the chests never go away. To be honest I'm struggling to think of any Ys game that has permanently missable content. They've always been games you can just as well play without a walkthrough unless you physically got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go (Solomon Shrine got me the first time :negative:).

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oath has at least one item you can miss if you happen to just give away the prerequisite to the first npc to show interest in it. It is quite easy to have the rpg mindset that only the proper character responds to a key item and this game will use this against you in that one instance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looking it up, are you referring to some NPC quests? Why do I not remember those being in there at all? Were they added in the PSP version?

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Jade Ring from the ore dude

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Oath has at least one item you can miss if you happen to just give away the prerequisite to the first npc to show interest in it. It is quite easy to have the rpg mindset that only the proper character responds to a key item and this game will use this against you in that one instance.

The NPC you're supposed to give it to you literally tells you that he lost his wedding ring though. Like, there's another quest that gives a great key item that you'll almost certainly miss without knowing it's there, but it's pretty easy to infer in this situation, especially since the gold you'd get by selling the ring is a pittance at that point IIRC.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

This is your reminder that the US is one week away from Celceta fun times.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

iastudent posted:

This is your reminder that the US is one week away from Celceta fun times.

Got my special edition preordered. Picked the free shipping though, so I'll be waiting a few extra days. Reading this thread will be excruciating.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Game is out today! Just got back from grabbing my copy, lady at store needed to explain to her that it was written Ys before finding it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How long does it take for Vita games to first show up on PSN on release day?

E: There it is
E2: Awwww poo poo that item fanfare :swoon:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hows Celceta stack up against 7? I wasn't a huge fan of the "crafting" and materials crap in 7, nor the story, and I also thought the flash guard was way too loving good. Any of that stuff handled significantly better in Celceta?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hows Celceta stack up against 7? I wasn't a huge fan of the "crafting" and materials crap in 7, nor the story, and I also thought the flash guard was way too loving good. Any of that stuff handled significantly better in Celceta?

I heard that the flash guard has a much tighter window in Celceta, so it won't be as easy to abuse.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Mine hasn't even shipped from Amazon. :f5:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

How long does it take for Vita games to first show up on PSN on release day?

Normal PSN update time, so 2-4 hours from now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Unmature posted:

Mine hasn't even shipped from Amazon. :f5:

Did you get a weird message from Amazon about the ship time suddenly getting changed? Because the second I asked their customer service about it, they bumped it up to day one shipping.

EDIT: Also just noticed that all three PSP Ys games are on sale on PSN for this week at $7.49.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 26, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Mine shipped.

This is the only game for my Vita and I don't even care right now. Falcom games are one of the only things I'll buy a console for by themselves.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Did you get a weird message from Amazon about the ship time suddenly getting changed? Because the second I asked their customer service about it, they bumped it up to day one shipping.

It shipped almost right after I posted. Should be here Dec 2nd (picked free shipping).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was one of two people who pre-ordered the collector's edition at my area. The cloth map is really sick; would have been worth the price for that doohickey alone.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I was one of two people who pre-ordered the collector's edition at my area. The cloth map is really sick; would have been worth the price for that doohickey alone.

Look at the back of the art book/manual/strategy guide thing and tell me you don't laugh at the headline for the last section of it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Phantasium posted:

Look at the back of the art book/manual/strategy guide thing and tell me you don't laugh at the headline for the last section of it.

Dogi is the bro-est bro who ever bro-ed. A king amongst men.:allears:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

What does it say?

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

FirstAidKite posted:

What does it say?

Celceta Guide Artwork Section posted:

Drawings commissioned for Me by My Friend Dogi

These were added to this journal toward what I can only assume to be the end of my life, as mementos of the lovely women I've met or read about during my travels. Each was commissioned by my good friend Dogi to help me get through tough times in prison, or at the bottom of the ocean, or trapped in a monster's lair, since such occurrences happen with far greater frequency than one might expect.

I consider these to be among the most treasured gifts I have ever received, as each depicts one or more visions of beauty for whom I bear a deep, personal affection or harbor ran intense, historical fascination.

To any future generations beholding these paintings, it is my hope that they be thought of and appreciated as works of high art, representational of times, places and people that helped shape this world in one fashion or another (and gave this 62-year-old man something to gaze upon, to help him feel young again during these long, cold, lonely nights).

It's a very nice book/guide/whatever. But I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the compass that came in the box, that made me laugh.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've always wanted to see a game with old man Adol ramming through monsters like a freight train.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Marogareh posted:

I've always wanted to see a game with old man Adol ramming through monsters like a freight train.

As long as they let him speak so he can defend himself when everyone calls him "Adol the Gray." :smith:

I'm very happy with Celceta so far, I need more time to play it! It looks like there's a lot more stuff to explore than in Ys7. The flash dodging is fun but it usually gets me killed instead of actually helping me. Nightmare mode isn't as scary anymore because you can carry as many healing items as you want. Not sure how I feel about that really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Once you're done the newly remade Ys IV, you can finally play the just released translation of Ys V on SNES! http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=ys5

• Locked thread