Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
There's a currently a bug with the "Army Boots" chest in Sapphirl Tower. If you try and open the chest after it's already been looted, the game locks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Lance Streetman posted:

You can also see it in Ys: Oath at times, like when you're outside of Valestein Castle.

It happened to me in Ys Origin, in some some of the outside parts of the tower and at the bridge to Rado's Annex, but only as Hugo. When I played as Yunica it worked totally fine. :confused:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've found a bunch of graves in Ys II.

"Here lies Wiseau, a favoured customer."

Somehow I doubt that was in the original translation.

fake edit:

"Here like Eike, the ageless."

Is that a loving Shadow of Destiny reference!?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Suaimhneas posted:

It happened to me in Ys Origin, in some some of the outside parts of the tower and at the bridge to Rado's Annex, but only as Hugo. When I played as Yunica it worked totally fine. :confused:

Because Hugo is awful, and Yunica is the best character in the series :colbert:

Regarding Trails in the sky, the only graphical issue I've seen so far was that Olivier's sprite was garbled for a few seconds in one cutscene in chapter 1, as if his sprite was diced up into squares that were randomly re-arranged.
Went away after a second, and haven't seen anything since.

Been swapping between windowed 1600x900 and fullscreen 1920x1200 and everything maxed with no issues other than the sprite one.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

animatorZed posted:

Because Hugo is awful, and Yunica is the best character in the series :colbert:

Words from a person who has not played Yunica's story on Nightmare.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

Mouse and keyboard work really well since the game was originally on PC and designed for it.

I understand how the battle controls would work good, but does the same apply for the field movement? It's sort of important, given the contextual way you get ambushed/preemptive strikes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Botman posted:

I understand how the battle controls would work good, but does the same apply for the field movement? It's sort of important, given the contextual way you get ambushed/preemptive strikes.

Field movement is basically point and click like Diablo games. It works quite well.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
I just beat the game, and I loved all of it. Thanks for bringing this to PC and I can't wait for SC.

As for glitches, I only encountered one, and it was very odd. During the fight against (heavy endgame spoiler) ____Colonel Richard_____ sometimes the game would play the last audioclip from attacks. So, Estelle would attack, and then the boss would use the same voice clip when they attacked. It didn't affect anything, and it only happened in that fight, but it was a bit strange.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Maybe the boss was just making fun of you.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Suaimhneas posted:

Maybe the boss was just making fun of you.

That would be very impressive, considering during one attack I heard an explosion sound effect. They must have VERY strong vocal chords. Sounded just like the real thing!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm thinking of picking up Trails in the Sky off Steam, but in the past I've had issues with JRPGs being grindy and having obtuse character recruitment requirements that require me to play along with a guide. How much of that bullshit is in TitS?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
None. You can clear the game with next to no encounters fought, from what I remember, and there's no recruitment BS.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Grinding isn't an issue, but there are quite a few easily missable sidequests, so if you're trying to do a 100% run a guide is an absolute must.

The real meat of the game is in the main story and character interactions though, and that works just fine without a guide.

Edit: To clarify on the grinding, experience gain is scaled on level difference between characters and enemies, so if you ever fall behind one or two random encounters will always get you to an appropriate level for the area you're in - the only thing you can really grind is money and spell materials, and you'll get enough to get by from normal play.

fezball fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 4, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Cool. Bought. Anything I should know about mechanics or character progression gotchas?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

pun pundit posted:

Cool. Bought. Anything I should know about mechanics or character progression gotchas?

Nope. Well, time magic owns and is cool and good. The game is very straightforward aside from the missable quests.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are these Shining Pom things I can't hit supposed to be the Metal Slimes of Trails?

Also, I can't find this "Pine Plant" along the Milch main road anywhere, is it not just a regular encounter or something? Nevermind, found it soon as I posted, of course :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Are these Shining Pom things I can't hit supposed to be the Metal Slimes of Trails?

Also, I can't find this "Pine Plant" along the Milch main road anywhere, is it not just a regular encounter or something?

Yeah, Shining Poms are Metal Slimes. You can only kill them by using S-Crafts or instant death effects.

The bounties from the guild are in a fixed location; you can recognize them because they're stationary and when you approach them you'll be given the option to fight them or to ignore them.

The Pine Plant is in the west most zone of Milch Road, just before the Verte Checkpoint.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pun pundit posted:

There's missable sidequests but the game clearly directs you where to go to get most of them and then directs you to where you go to do them. If you put them off you can miss out on the rewards and there are a couple that're hidden/out of the way, but all you get for doing literally everything is overpowered equipment that you don't need. Just do the sidequests you feel like doing and you'll be solid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, Shining Poms are Metal Slimes. You can only kill them by using S-Crafts or instant death effects.

The bounties from the guild are in a fixed location; you can recognize them because they're stationary and when you approach them you'll be given the option to fight them or to ignore them.

The Pine Plant is in the west most zone of Milch Road, just before the Verte Checkpoint.

Got it, thanks.

Also gently caress you Pine Plant, self destructing on me. So that's the kind of game this is, is it t:mad:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

haha, good old self destruct. If you couldn't retry fights it'd annoy me, but as it stands i just find it funny.

A couple of enemies do that but the Pine Plant is the only one that'll wipe you, the rest will do like 100 damage.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Got it, thanks.

Also gently caress you Pine Plant, self destructing on me. So that's the kind of game this is, is it t:mad:

It's Mother 4?!

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cake Attack posted:

haha, good old self destruct. If you couldn't retry fights it'd annoy me, but as it stands i just find it funny.

A couple of enemies do that but the Pine Plant is the only one that'll wipe you, the rest will do like 100 damage.

I found I actually liked having the information quartz on somebody, as it will just tell you things like what kinds of attacks / effects an enemy will have, and other exploitable things. I don't remember if you get that before/after the pine plant, though.
For exploding ones, anyone with range 2+ can safely get the last hit on them if using standard attacks.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Not quite. You can hit them with regular melee attacks too. It just doesn't do much and has a really low chance to hit. So, yeah, if you have no CP when you meet a Shining Pom, you'll have next to no chance of killing it, but a character without CP could potentially kill a weakened one.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Has the Sapphirl Tower chest Softlock been fixed yet? When i finished playing the game that was basically the last big thing people were having problems with.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Patch came out a few hours ago. Unfortunately no info on what it fixed.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm seeing reports that the chest bug was fixed last night, which means basically every major bug had been dealt with in case any of you were hesitating on recommending Trails to your friends.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

It would be great if changelogs existed.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I think they were probably trying to push updates as fast as possible, and didn't want to waste time writing out what was in each individual update. I've sure Sara will give the all clear when she thinks the game is fully patched up.

Also, thinking of doing a character section for Trails in the Sky (just gonna include Estelle and Josh), and I need a couple of profile images for them. I'd appreciate it if somebody could dig up two profile images for them, ideally of equal size.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It would be great if changelogs existed.

This thread is the closest thing we have to one currently:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/251150/discussions/0/38596748671200630/#p1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

I think they were probably trying to push updates as fast as possible, and didn't want to waste time writing out what was in each individual update. I've sure Sara will give the all clear when she thinks the game is fully patched up.

Also, thinking of doing a character section for Trails in the Sky (just gonna include Estelle and Josh), and I need a couple of profile images for them. I'd appreciate it if somebody could dig up two profile images for them, ideally of equal size.
Here and here.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Those are perfect, thanks. I'll get to work on the character section in a bit.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/497154142406979585

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/497154456912683009

:)

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I got this game gifted by a good friend of mine. This is such a fun game! I can't play RPGs to save my life but this game is easy and accessible. The dialogue bits are very enjoyable.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm guessing the game sold pretty well judging by those tweets and the top sellers list at the time. Time to start the speculation as to what else XSEED has in store.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Zero no Kiseki, please.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I'm glad the PC version is selling well. From what I heard, the PSP version didn't sell very well and made it seem like SC wouldn't get a translation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm glad the PC version is selling well. From what I heard, the PSP version didn't sell very well and made it seem like SC wouldn't get a translation.
It probably didn't sell well because it was released for PSP with no fanfare in 2011.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Endorph posted:

It probably didn't sell well because it was released for PSP with no fanfare in 2011.

Pretty much. It was the definition of a cult classic. Considering how much :words: that game had, however, Xseed probably lost money on the PSP version. However, thanks to the forces of capitalism (,ho!), a couple of goons another localiser is willing to translate the second game, presumably for a revenue share.

I'd imagine Carpe Fulgur would assist Xseed translate any future Trails game that gets greenlit for localisation (there won't be, Third Chapter basically opens the door for the rest of the series, and basically would mean that Xseed would be on the hook for basically the rest of the franchise, in a similar manner to the requests for Second Chapter for years).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd like to see Ys VI and Zwei II I guess, the former so that we can wrap up the possible Ys steam releases and the latter so that we can have something to talk about with regards to that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Heavy neutrino posted:

Time to start the speculation as to what else XSEED has in store.

If I were to take an speculative guess the Zwei series should be seeing a release some time in the future. The old patch developers have been sitting at 99.9% complete for over a year now, and many people suspect someone bought the script off them.

• Locked thread