Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
SpaceDrake's rough guesstimate on Twitter for part one is Dec/Jan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

How long does it take for Vita games to first show up on PSN on release day?

Normal PSN update time, so 2-4 hours from now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

Mid 2014, apparently. Of course, the previous announcement was Summer 2014, which is more or less the same thing.

My guess is we'll see TitS p1 on PC next month sometime and SC in July/August.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're testing it and stuff still, at least as far as one XSEED'ers tweets go.

They ran into a couple big issues a month or two ago that are the main cause of the delay. On the plus side they will know how to fix them for SC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SC Bracer posted:

Does anyone have a rough ETA on when FC is supposed to come out, so that I don't have an excuse to bust out my psp copy?

According to Hatsuu (XSEED's Production Coordinator,) they're in the "home stretch" on FC. My complete guess would be August/September for a release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well Trails in the Sky PC news is supposed to be coming real soon according to Xseed on Facebook.

Edit: @Hatsuu is putting together a trailer. This could be it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 9, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

What were the PSP extras originally?

Animated portraits, more battle voice acting and some minor animation tweaks besides the bestiary.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you can figure out Ys, you'll be fine. Combat is turn based though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?gamepage-appid-251150

The card images seem to have been data mined from somewhere.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The story and worldbuilding are really good for a JRPG, but the gameplay's not bad either despite being somewhat typical.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

The 3rd game is not getting localized but it's more of a collection of post-epilogue side-stories

XSEED's hinted they have permission from Falcom, but it depends on how well the first two games sell if translating such a massive game is worth it. Seriously, the scripts of these games are larger than War and Peace.

Edit: \/ funny, I read differently. I heard it was a pretty standalone story that just leaves a few smaller plot threads for future games to build on.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 29, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's out on gog here
http://www.gog.com/game/the_legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Is Trails in the Sky mac-compatible?

It's the same engine as the Ys PC games which do apparently run well in wine. No guarantees though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Check your file permissions. The configuration file might be read only.

Apparently capping the frame rate at 30 fixes a lot of the crashing for now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AfroSquirrel posted:

A probable achievement glitch: You get the True Wonder Chef after eating the initial Maple Cookie. Either that's the world's smallest recipe book, or 'oops'?

A bunch of the achievements apparently get awarded early.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

The only cinematics are the opening and closing credits, I'm pretty sure, so yeah. Just look them up on youtube.

Even easier: they're AVIs in the game directory with obvious numbering.

And no, there's no closing AVI. Just the Falcom logo and the intro.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Turn off the high resolution fonts. That'll fix it for now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

Fraid I'm not experiencing any of these, so I won't be of help. Have you had any reports on the configuration acting up in regards to the mouse?

Hope you can one day sit down and tell us the reasons why FC gave you so much trouble - I love hearing things about these from a technical point of view.

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/92769039590/xseed-blog-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky

Sara posted this last week. It's a pretty interesting read.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So does the hires fonts work now? Kept getting crashes with them on.
Also how are the mouse controls? Playing with a gamepad feels off for some reason even after configuring it.

The font thing seems to be fixed.

Mouse and keyboard work really well since the game was originally on PC and designed for it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Maybe the crashing bugs are gone, but the texture bugs are still there. Just started it and got this:

Turn of the vertex option in the config. That fixes it. It's a bug that seems to only crop up with certain videocards.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Botman posted:

I understand how the battle controls would work good, but does the same apply for the field movement? It's sort of important, given the contextual way you get ambushed/preemptive strikes.

Field movement is basically point and click like Diablo games. It works quite well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Patch came out a few hours ago. Unfortunately no info on what it fixed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It would be great if changelogs existed.

This thread is the closest thing we have to one currently:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/251150/discussions/0/38596748671200630/#p1

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

One thing I've wondered about is whether any stink is raised in the Japanese fanbase over the fact that these Steam releases are from a technical standpoint far superior to what is available to them.

I know that a lot of Japanese PC gamers use US/Euro steam accounts since western games can take forever to get over there. English is widely taught so they can handle the localized games.

(Plus I remember reading on the Trails steam forum that with most games on this engine you can drop the Japanese script into the game files and it works seamlessly even with Sara's font changes.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It helped that they poo poo canned the guy behind most of the bad design decisions in the first version instead of sticking to their guns as Japanese devs are known to do.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't worry about it. SC is definitely not a FFX-2 plot as (minor FC/SC spoiler) Estelle and Joshua reunite before the halfway point of SC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The third trails game is weird. It's basically a bunch of more self contained chapters that tie off minor loose ends of SC and lay the groundwork for the next game. Estelle isn't the main character because SC ends her story and Joshua's. 3 is more of an extended epilogue for them and most of the SC party.

Xseed has basically made it clear that if the other two sell well they'll look into getting the third.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 3, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that would be the challenge. PSP (or even Vita) release wouldn't sell so hot and XSEED would have to convince Falcom to do a PC port to bring any future games to steam/elsewhere.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Delusibeta posted:

So, we've established that the only way for Third Chapter to be localised is for FC & SC to do really well.

3rd Chapter really is pointless without the next trilogy at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah the last couple patches appear to be bug fixes, but we haven't had patch notes for them.

Monster guide is apparently delayed by XSEED's coder Sara being shifted to Corpse Party for the time being.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
We have no idea as the date keeps slipping.

Xseed says Q1 2015 but given their recent track record I'd say any time between now and summer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

Hmm maybe I'll go with them then.

The game was originally made for pc so it has very good mouse and keyboard.

It did feel weird at first having point and click controls in a jrpg.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

if you've ever honestly considered them, the suicide thoughts never ever leave you for good. The struggle just lessens, sometimes.

The best you do is figure out ways to drown them out or channel them into something constructive until they fade again.

I've already sent my well wishes towards SpaceDrake elsewhere. Wishing the best for him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

toddy. posted:

No chance. It would take nothing short of miracles and blood sacrifices.

Yeah, Falcom would have to do the port themselves (XSEED don't do the actual porting jobs down to the engine level.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Slur posted:

XSEED doesn't have a PC division of their own either; they usually outsource the code to Sara Leen, who handles the PC versions of XSEED games alone. Recently, Carpe Fulgar were also contracted to do Trails SC.

Or at least, that's my understanding.

Trails FC and SC had PC versions already though as they started on PC. Sara doesn't do full ports from one platform to another.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

I'm struggling to see how FC was made to have a conclusive ending, it's literally got the biggest cliffhanger ending I've ever played

You misread. There was originally supposed to be a single Trails in the Sky game that ended up split into two (FC and SC) due to budget and time constraints.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I find most of those people not worth listening to.

It's a miracle we're getting these games at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

i actually can't think of anything xseed's dubbed that i've actually played, so i have no idea what quality to expect

They're usually pretty solid for the most part. Probably about the level of most of the later Tales games, but with better directing than the last few.

EDIT: /\ Japanese voice acting is usually pretty cheesy itself. It's just the style they use for voice work.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 6, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lord Ephraim posted:

Start with Wild Arms 4 and 5

JUUUUUUUMP, FLOOOOR IT, LET'S TAKE A LITTLE LOOKSIE

To be fair, the writing/script of those was pretty drat awful in the first place. There's only so much VAs can do with that material.

Rune Factory 4's dub is also decent enough, but those games have light-hearted/goofy voicework in Japanese.

EDIT: Another fun thing that Tom didn't mention (but I think SpaceDrake did in the same NeoGAF thread) is that the Japanese VAs are also allowed to dictate non-negotiable rates for outside of Japan. Within Japan, their wages are completely set by the union and they have zero negotiation room. This tends to lead to many VAs trying to squeeze some extra money out of foreign licensees by setting ridiculously high prices.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wendell posted:

It won't be worse.

Let's not start that. Some people do think the Japanese versions are always better and there's no point starting an argument with those types since you'll never, ever convince them otherwise.

• Locked thread