Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I just played through all the Ys games currently on steam, and I'm glad I did, especially since I hadn't even heard of the series when I was a kid.
Started with Oath -> Origins -> Ys I -> Ys II

The basic thing I took away is that Yunica is by far the best character in the series, who cares about this boring Adol guy :)

I enjoyed Origins the most, overall. Very directed and linear, but I thought it worked well. Bosses got easy towards the end, but the basic act of hitting things was the most fun in this game.
Oath seemed competent, and the bosses were fun and demanding, but the story and characters seemed really uninteresting to me.

Actually playing Ys I was kind of a slog, and I'm glad I didn't start with that one. Ys II was really good all around, though.
Also, playing Ys I and II after origins, with a few months gap in between was a little strange. Kind of like reverse nostalgia although I'm sure for most people who played the older games first it was the opposite. Ys II especially, since it felt like it was finishing the story for both Ys I and Origins simultaneously.

I hope more of the games come to steam / pc because I'm not likely to pick up any of the handhelds, although I might now be tempted to at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Is Ys 6 good? What would be the best way to get / play it right now?
The OP image looks like a PC game, but its not on steam and searching for it on amazon only has a PS2 and a PSP version.

I'll probably pick up Ys 7 since I do have a barely used PSP, for which the only games I own are FFT and ZHP.

If the PSP version of 6 is good I could pick that one up as well, although the only new copies seem way overpriced and I don't usually like buying used.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Thanks for the info, all.

I'll probably wait for a potential future steam version then, since I'm in no rush and don't feel like jumping through any hoops.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Not directly related, but the Oath talk reminded me that I for some reason skipped the fire magic upgrade before I got to the first boss.

That...was tedious.

I liked Origins more overall, but Oath was definitely harder, and I thought the bosses were more challenging and fun to fight.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Proto Cloud posted:

Well, either way, moving on Ys II. Hopefully, that's far better on higher difficulties.

I soldiered through Ys I mostly out of obligation, but it wasn't that fun.
However, I really enjoyed pretty much every aspect of Ys II. Its just an order of magnitude better in pretty much every way.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I was also pleasantly surprised at how much dialogue there was in the game. I usually expect older RPG's to be kind of sparse for npc dialogue.
Most characters had several things to say, reactions to story progression (including things that happen near the end of the final area that require you to backtrack quite a bit), extra dialogue for getting gifts (and being fireballed in the face). Add on to that the eventual ability to talk to every single monster in the game, and they all have names :( and NPC's had additional dialog when using that ability.

Definitely way more than I expected, especially compared to my expectations after Ys I.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Max Wilco posted:

I picked up Ys Chronicles from the Steam sale, and I like it a lot. I don't think I've gotten the hang of combat yet. I understand that you have to be off center when you hit the enemy, but it seems like half the time, I still get hit. Is there something I'm missing?

Pushing at enemies by walking diagonally usually works, especially if there is a wall to move them against. The walk button is occasionally useful to make sure you stay aligned correctly.

The level / enemy design in Ys II also tends to make this way easier and less frustrating compared to Ys I.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Delusibeta posted:

Ys 2 is effectively Ys 1 Second Chapter, so play that next.

Ys 2 is also orders of magnitude better than Ys 1 in nearly every measurable way, so definitely that.

I actually played origins before 1/2 which was kind of interesting because all the references/nostalgia worked in reverse.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Suaimhneas posted:

It happened to me in Ys Origin, in some some of the outside parts of the tower and at the bridge to Rado's Annex, but only as Hugo. When I played as Yunica it worked totally fine. :confused:

Because Hugo is awful, and Yunica is the best character in the series :colbert:

Regarding Trails in the sky, the only graphical issue I've seen so far was that Olivier's sprite was garbled for a few seconds in one cutscene in chapter 1, as if his sprite was diced up into squares that were randomly re-arranged.
Went away after a second, and haven't seen anything since.

Been swapping between windowed 1600x900 and fullscreen 1920x1200 and everything maxed with no issues other than the sprite one.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cake Attack posted:

haha, good old self destruct. If you couldn't retry fights it'd annoy me, but as it stands i just find it funny.

A couple of enemies do that but the Pine Plant is the only one that'll wipe you, the rest will do like 100 damage.

I found I actually liked having the information quartz on somebody, as it will just tell you things like what kinds of attacks / effects an enemy will have, and other exploitable things. I don't remember if you get that before/after the pine plant, though.
For exploding ones, anyone with range 2+ can safely get the last hit on them if using standard attacks.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Just finished Trails. Actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Hadn't played any jrpg's in years, but I really liked the Ys games so I gave this one a shot.

Just to check, the ng+ hard/nightmare options only affect enemy / battle difficulty? Nothing new in ng+ other than getting anything you missed the first time around?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cake Attack posted:

Just tab to the left/right on the analog select and you can select the buttons like so.

That said, I still used xpadder to map 1/2/3/4 (the kb shortcuts) to unused buttons on my controller.
I also mapped the dpad to the keyboard arrows, so that I could actually use the dpad for menu's because analog stick through menu's was pretty annoying.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Nate RFB posted:

I'm dealing with it in Trails by just using the digital pad but it would be a nice fix if it's possible.

Not ideal, but you can try what I'm doing which is to use xpadder/joy2key to map the dpad to the keyboard arrows like I mentioned in the other post.

I would prefer it to be built in as you said, though.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cake Attack posted:

I know this because both are way earlier than you can set up similar magic of different elements. Time magic rules.

Chaos brand makes pretty much any non-immune enemy/boss encounter highly amusing. Almost nothing resists it too, until the very endgame.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cake Attack posted:

ultimate weapon by collecting every chapter of Carnelia

I didn't even know this was a thing. I ignored most of the book stuff outside of the news since :effort: and :words:
ng+ I guess.

I handled that fight by keeping the boss at around 3/4 health. Bided time until a critical modifier appeared on the turn list. Morale buff + bird debuff + double tap with estelle and schera's s-breaks with one using the critical was basically an instagib. Don't remember what level I was at, though.

Action 3 quartz were also useful to sneak in extra turns.

Also, not relevant to this one, but chaos brand basically breaks 95% of the boss encounters in the game.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ryuga Death posted:

It does? I've used it a few times as a joke, but never anything more. I should try it out.

For laughs, use it during the tournament matches in Grancel and try to imagine what the crowd's reaction would be :)

Its useful even on single enemies since half the time they just use their turn to move in a random direction.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You'll need a guide for Carnelia, because a lot of chapters have extremely tight timing requirements to acquire, and often require you to go to places well out of your way. Cake Attack's LP will serve as a guide, though.

Good to know. I'd probably need something for 100% jobs too, as there are at least a few I don't know where I missed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Suaimhneas posted:

I still don't think I enjoy this or Seven as much as I did Felghana/Origin/Napishtim.

Haven't played memories, just 7, but I generally agree. I prefer the smaller scoped games that are basically action games with tiny bits of rpg elements like origins.

Ys 7 went full on jrpg with story, items, abilities, etc. I see why that would be appealing and I did actually enjoy Ys 7 and think its a really good game. Overall, though, I think I prefer the plain focused action games over the larger rpg elements.

My perception might be skewed since I played felghana and origins before any of the others.

• Locked thread