Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also Vantage Master had a handful of Ys characters and monsters in it.

Vantage Master is also an incredible game more people should know about and fully available in English for the PC as freeware. https://www.falcom.co.jp/vantage/index_e.html

The music of the Ys series is amazing and if you're a completionist... :negative: Here's an outdated list that now has at least a dozen more entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Oh yeah, another spinoff game that wasn't mentioned.

Ys vs Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga is basically the Dissidia of Falcom games, released in 2011 for the PSP (in Japan only). It uses a modified Ys Seven engine for battles of up to 4 characters and has all the familiar characters and special moves and ~crossover plot~ and amazing music you would expect. Being an Ys game the gameplay is a lot of fun and the Trails in the Sky characters are adapted well to the engine. It was somewhat of a love letter to hardcore fans as it has almost 200 tracks of Falcom music ranging from the very first version of Ys I to the latest JDK Band remixes to completely original tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmcxF1gF78

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Lance Streetman posted:

You can easily skip Hugo. You will want to play third character, as he has some content not in either Yunica or Hugo's story and plays differently from either of them. In addition, his story is the canonical one, complete with the true final boss.

I need to finish my second run of Origin sometime. Never got around to doing that.

Beating the game on some number of routes also unlocks alt-gameplay modes for the characters (Hugo has his laser eyeballs in a column rather than row for instance) and two different versions of Adol playable in Time Attack and Arena. Unless the Steam version didn't include the add-on content for some reason.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Lance Streetman posted:

Just popping by because I found an illustration of Adol from Ys 1 and holy poo poo.

I guess Adol the Brown would've sounded kinda stupid.

Great, now I can never unsee Adol as :madmax:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Hugo's just different from how Ys usually plays. No hack and slash, worse movement options, range completely trivializes a lot of enemies as a tradeoff. I like Hugo well enough but the third character is where it's at.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Agean90 posted:

Chester had a bitchin theme song, he's a good character in my book.

Chester was playable in that Ys vs TitS fighting game and he's hell of a lot of fun. Midair loops all day erry day.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

toddy. posted:

I can't wait for everyone to say "I was hoping Ark of Napishtim was going to be as good as Oath or Origin and instead I had to grind for an hour".

The opposite happened for me, I got lost at some point and nothing in the game could damage me after that :frog:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Saralene posted:

Part of me wonders what it would be like in an Ys Seven/Celceta style with party member switching and more of the search team playable. It'd also kind of get rid of the need for splitting up the story at all, when I think about it.

Please no. The Seven style of party members making everything a chaotic mess, skills having subexperience to grind and forced character switching because you can't damage certain enemies for Reasons is the worst thing to happen to the series since Ys V.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

toddy. posted:

They're clearly too busy fulfilling my dream of a HD remaster of Alternative Saga

Don't even say this :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The Colonel posted:

Specifically, an Ys x Trails in the Sky arena fighting game.

Dogi is the only character you should play as.

You can accurately replicate the Chester 2 boss fight as a playable character though

Except you're in mid-air the whole time :madmax:

• Locked thread