Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Until recently, the very first and only Ys game I had ever played was Wanderers from the Ys on the SNES, when I was a wee tiny The Mimic. I didn't get far, and I didn't really enjoy it deeply so I never tackled the rest of the series. Until now. I grabbed Chronicles+ on Steam, and marathoned Ys 1 in two sittings. My god, that was fun as hell! The music was perfect, the graphics and art were perfect, the gameplay was perfect. The only thing that soured it is a bit of backtracking in the tower, but otherwise it was fantastic start to finish.

I figure I'll play Ys II when I can and move on to... Oath in Felghana, which is a remake of Wanderers and next in the series? On Steam, there's also Origin, I understand. And there seems to be a PC version of Ark of Nephistim, but it isn't on Steam? It sounds like it'll be a pain to get, and the OP gives good reason to avoid the PS2 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Looks like today's Steam sale is for Ys: Origins, for anybody that was on the fence about trying the series (or who otherwise doesn't have it yet).

I wouldn't have noticed this without you. 60% off is kickass. Thanks very much.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The thread should be re-titled "Everybody Loves Dying".

Dogi Souls.

Red Mundus posted:

Alright, just got to the final boss in Ys 1 and between laughing fits over how loving stupid this all is, I gave up.

I actually thought the boss was really sly and entertaining, although I died a poo poo-ton of times myself. I'm not sure if the rings made a difference, but when I switched to Power, I won. The floor is really the final boss, here. When I wasn't dying from standing where the floor fell out, I was dying because I hemmed myself in. If you'd like to see a newbie to the series dying repeatedly, I went so far as to record my last three or four tries, to document my suffering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0CgBuoIjh0 The trick is to try to run along with him, not against him, to score multiple hits in a short time, I guess.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah. And level 48, so 255 hp/mp. Still using the super slicer or whatever the name is, the one-step up from the Tulwar, but I just put fireball after fireball into the bats that fly around and they won't die. Even did a full exit of the game and reloaded, and they're still seemingly invincible.

I had this problem earlier, but I was only level 38 and I suspect I wasn't doing any appreciable damage. Once I hit 45 (which was insanely quick with the enemies outside) they went down easy. Are you doing charged blasts? That seems to make a difference.

I just beat Ys II now and man. After that much gameplay (between I and II) that was a surprisingly satisfying ending. Ys II's final boss was far more interesting than I's, too, though I enjoyed both. Now, do I go to Origins, or Oath in Felghana? Hm.

Edit: I was going to say "but holy crap, I'm not going to play through it again, because I spent most of Ys II terribly lost" - then I thought about it, and I'm pretty sure I have the entire game mentally mapped now. Also, would have helped if I didn't completely miss the Spirit Cape.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

I've now played Chronicles+, Oath, and Origin (as Hugo & The Claw) and I can't quite believe it, but I think this is my favorite series ever. Playing Chronicles+ then Origin was fantastic; the games support each other so well. I think my favorite bit from Claw's ending in Origin was showing the reason for the silver sword being there in Ys I, heh. When I played that, I was all like "who buried a sword under a talking tree, and what for?" I didn't expect an answer.

I'm suspiciously out of Ys games to play now, especially without a PSP. I'd really like to try Seven, too. One thing I'm wondering though; the storyline involving primarily Ys itself, Ys 0 -> Ys 1 -> Ys 2: does it stop there? Do later games chronologically ever return to Ys or is that it? Or, do any descendants show up anywhere? I'd be wondering if there are any other Facts roaming around, since Hugo was left on the surface.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Thanks for the information. It's a little overwhelming to understand the direction of the series.

Xanadu: is that from the series where it's sort of a platformer, and characters can age? If it's what I'm thinking of, it always reminded me of a RPG/Platformer Wizardry. Nice find, that couldn't have been easy to get.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

I found Hugo's shield spell to be extremely useful. Going from Hugo to Claw made it a little harder, although Claw's wind spell is definitely amazing in its own way.

unimportantguy posted:

Every time I read this thread, I find myself considering a PS Vita, pretty much just for Ys games. I may eventually end up going that route, because it looks unlikely that the more recent games (7, Celceta) will show up in an un-hosed form on another platform any time soon.

Every. Single. Time. I'm so close to just ordering one now. Especially with stuff like Soul Sacrifice coming out for it, too. I'm just afraid the whole platform is going to go belly up due to the poor sales.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Oh, those sales aren't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. Didn't the 3DS sell poorly too, for a while?

Azaael posted:

I totally know what you mean. I loved his human boss fights too. I also found I looked forward to those little intermission-stories with him every level.

Everything about Claw plays amazingly. Particularly how cheap his wind-dash is and how it acts as a moment of invulnerability. And how if you leave the stick neutral and use it, you'll often teleport behind the nearest enemy and turn to face them again.

Beyond just the combat, I also liked his story, a lot. He was refreshing to play as after Hugo, and I liked his personality a lot, too. I can't think of another character from another game that was quite like him, in terms of situation and the way he approached it, either. I haven't played as Yunica yet, because I thought she'd be too much like Adol from Oath and I had just played that through.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Azaael posted:

I noticed that with Claw too-even though some of his aspects had things that could have been used in a JRPG type situation, he did approach them differently. I mean He didn't 'wangst', he didn't QQ, and while he did push some of it down he was essentially doing anything he could for Reah. Which, of course, ends bittersweet for him. I loved finding out the story about the Silver Harmonica, the Black Pearl and hell, all the books, and how the Sanctuary of Toal got its name. Also-and this isn't particularly happy for him-it highly points that Kishgal, since he survives, had lost control of his power and becomes Tyamalth(sp?), the Ice boss of Ys 2.

Yunica's game really is probably 'textbook' in a lot of ways. I mean she's the Adol-style character and they didn't really do much with being creative with the story. 'True power comes from within', 'plucky hero continues on' and other such things. It had a couple of 'd'awww' parts, but otherwise, yeah. It's not BAD I felt, and I mean I'm a fan of the other Ys games so I can accept a bit of textbook-ness with this series, but I do think it's the overall weakest of the 3.

Hugo's story, I admit-I thought plot-wise it was in the middle because it had more overall story relevance to the canon storyline, but at the same time Jesus, did I want to choke Hugo. I think I literally facepalmed a few times, like 'what is WRONG with you?!' Then it came together a bit more later, but yeah, it had it's moments.

That bit about Claw is what made me like his story so much. My favorite part was how he was always lying to his former comrades, trying to convince them that he really did switch sides, and as the story goes on, they don't even believe him anymore. It was also a shock to see him eventually turn over to being an Adol-style hero who wants everyone to survive, despite the odds. Even after Feena and Reah's fate in the end he's still optimistic sounding, if not a bit down. My absolute favorite thing though, is learning why the silver sword was buried there. Having just played Chronicles+, that was awesome. I'm sure if I had played it in the 90s I'd find it even more amazing.

Hugo was amazing to play; filling the screen with bullets all the time, and his Boost was particularly amazing, especially combined with his Fire skill. Surprisingly melee-centric after that. I really liked his attitude early on, when he was simply insulting his enemies (particularly Epona) and when he predicts that a boss is going to drop down from above and so on. Of course, after he loses his cool and just starts yelling at everyone, he was irritating as hell. By the end, when he calms down and after resisting the demon essence, he's cool and calm again. Actually, after that bit, he's a LOT like his brother.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

kthegreat posted:

I've beaten Yunica and Hugo's paths in Origin and I'm debating playing a little bit of Oath before playing the Claw to break up the monotony of doing the whole tower for a third time. Is there anything I should know before getting to deep into Oath? Like, is there anything missable?

Yes, there's a couple of quests that are missable too, if I'm not mistaken. One involves Elena and starts at a certain point, the other starts outside of the castle at a certain point. The castle one is the easiest to miss, I think. Basically, after every major event, check around with the NPCs, I suppose. There's a guide on GameFAQs that highlights the few missable things, as well.

The bump system is a little archaic feeling at first, but if you give it a little time to sink in, you'll probably love it. It's simple, but it means running through an area literally means running through the area, with bodies exploding the whole way. Ys II has more to do, combat-wise, as well. It's really not a bad system, but I'm glad they moved away from it. If every Ys game played like that, I'm sure it would get stale eventually.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

I've experienced this as well, with the blinky enemies, but also in Oath during the second fight with Chester. Leveling up a few times in a Ys game alters the difficulty so drastically. I had come from Dark Souls, so I think I was still thinking levels didn't matter THAT much and I could get away with being underleveled.

That being said, the bosses in Oath seem way more ridiculous than in Origin. It's like most have an attack where they fire projectiles high into the air that home in on you from above, and they always do it while doing something else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

Did anyone catch this recently? http://www.esterior.net/2013/04/pc-...ven-in-english/

I kind of hope this means we can get the game on Steam here, they're even using XSEED's translation for it...

Yeeeeeesssssss! I was debating buying a PSP cheap and used somewhere, but I'd really have no other use for the thing. This is fantastic news! Now, maybe by some miracle we can get the vita one on the PC, as well.

That iphone case is pretty awesome, but I use a Nexus 7. I guess if it was big enough to fit that, the price would be considerably higher.

• Locked thread