Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

JTDistortion posted:

Has anyone has issues with getting a black screen right at the start of TiTS? The game launches, I can hear sound just fine, and I can even hear it taking my inputs in the opening menu, but I get no visuals whatsoever?

In configurations, do you have Device (just to the left of resolution), set to REF instead of HAL? When I was messing with configurations at launch I managed to produce your exact problem by setting Device to REF, and just now I was able to replicate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed? Try downloading that.

If not I really have no idea because you should have the option.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Imagine if you'd beaten Trails when it first came out in 2011.

It'll be out in under a year, you've got nothing to complain about.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

This is really interesting. Whats the difference? I always thought that section at the end seemed a little off.

Tbh the plot gets across either way, the new translation just makes it a lot more clear. Basically, the new translation makes it more clear that (massive spoilers for FC)that Joshua's memory had been hosed with so he wouldn't recognize Weissmann, that Weissmann deliberately left Joshua's memories of Lorence intact, and that Joshua had been unknowingly reporting intel on Cassius and the guild to various members of Ouroboros who then used that to get him out of the country and out of their way.

Also I think in the original he says that they've completed the first step in opening the gate to the Shining Ring, while in the new one he says opening the gate to the Shining Ring was the first step of many.

e: I'm bored, give me 10 minutes and I'll post a exact comparisons of the scripts.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 11, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If anyone's curious as to the changes made to the translation of the last scenes of the game, I made this:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20147

Spoilers obviously.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Just tab to the left/right on the analog select and you can select the buttons like so.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

look it pains me to say it because I think I've made my fondness for Trails more than clear, but dude probably isn't going to like the game. He pretty much dislikes everything about a cornerstone of the game's story.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah you can setup Hell Gate in the Prologue and White Gehanna in Chapter 2.

I know this because both are way earlier than you can set up similar magic of different elements. Time magic rules.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Barrage is 24, Black Fang is 22 (meaning Joshua is probably 21 or else he'd already have it).

How is Hard, by the way? Does it require NG+ bonuses, or is it something you can do fresh? I don't think I could manage another playthrough right now, but if it's any good it might be nice to try later if I decide to replay the duology.

e: Earth Wall is pretty broken, but it might not work well for that fight since you're so outnumbered.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 14, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Nope, both were level 22.

Huh guess the FAQ was wrong. It's 23, checking my lp.

Anyway, good to know about Hard, I might try it someday. I like the combat system a fair bit so it'd be nice to be forced to strategize a little harder.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 15, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think Ys' typical music would have been pretty out of place tonally for your average fight.

Also Sophisticated Fight rules. It's sophisticated.

I think the only battle theme I'm indifferent to is To be Suggestive (the standard boss theme), the non-standard themes are great (Silver Will, Ancient Makes, Silver Will, etc.)

e: Also it's dungeon music but Fading Light of The Sealed Land is very great.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 15, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hey don't say things about guitar with synth violin you can't take back.

that's my jam

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The reward is exceptionally mediocre. Its a quartz that increases the drop rate by 30% as I recall, which is both a pretty low increase and kinda pointless since there arent really any interesting drops anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Those HD portraits look way better, wow. Kinda wish I hadn't already beat the game.

Hopefully they'll be implemented at launch for SC since apparently the hold-up was getting Falcom to send them over.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The dialogue in Trails is very good and charming in my opinion, although I do recall the prologue being a little weaker on this front. It pretty much has to be, because there's a lot of it :v: I like anime though, so that should tell you a lot about my opinions (i.e that they're good).

honestly a part of me views Trails as some bizzaro actually good Golden Sun, with the duology and the cliffhanger and the lots of dialogue and the magic system where elemental macguffins are equipped in different combinations to learn different spells.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 25, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Do you mean the start where Joshua gets brought home to an angry Estelle? I loved that part. I saw that in a screenshot LP in the LP subforum and that convinced me that I had to get this game even though I've never played a jrpg game before.

Sorry for going on, I didn't expect to be hooked onto Trails as much as I got hooked onto Ys Origin and Chronicles.

Nah that part owns, also that was my LP :v:

The prologue is the first chapter of the game, everything in Rolent.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I like it too, such a large emphasis is placed on worldbuilding and making the world around you seem alive that I think taking an easy pace and slowly marinating you in the setting works well, but it's undeniably a little slow and is kinda dull to replay.

Also post your reactions when you beat the game because I like it too much as well and so I like reading them.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 25, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Did you beat Lorence?

Also a word of advice for the final dungeon - it's super big and kind of a slog so I'd recommend running past the generic encounters, there's like 16 of the guarded chests so you'll get plenty of EXP either way.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

What the gently caress, what did you do :stare:

I restarted that fight once to equip some confusion resistance on my guys, realized all my confusion resistance was equipped elsewhere, and gave up because jesus christ the confuse spam is real. Even beyond that, his numbers are so big that the fight would have taken me forever without needing to unconfuse myself every single turn.

Maybe I was expected to grind more, once I got haze I liberally ran past enemies on the field. I also kind of feel like my orbment setups are unimpressive, I'm in the final dungeon now and Estelle's doing a whole lot of nothing because everyone else does things she does but better.

Just a heads up for anyone in the same situation, you can buy the accessory that nullifies confuse (and other stuff) from the NPC near the airship the first zone of the area this fight goes on in.

Also unless you got her ultimate weapon by collecting every chapter of Carnelia, Estelle really is best using her turns to cast in the endgame, followed by a Barrage whenever you get 100CP since her magical and physical stats are about even and magic is better all else being equal.

e: Best spell to cast is White Gehanna. Oh, and if you're curious about your levels, I was level 36 I think by the end of the final dungeon, and level 29 (for Estelle, Kloe and Schera will be 32/34 regardless) for Lorence.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 26, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I still haven't played them but I haven't heard good things. Not especially bad things either, I think they're supposed to be mediocre?

What I do know is the translation for the Ghargav Trilogy (LoH 3-5) was super bungled by Namco, to the point where the games aren't even numbered right.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

A subtle detail I liked concerning (ending stuff) Weissmann is if you talk to Alba in the History Museum with Joshua at the front of your formation, he'll comment on how Joshua looks stressed and ask if he's feeling alright.

But yeah, nobody sees that one coming even though it's foreshadowed pretty well (the part in the Prologue where Joshua feels sick right after you meet him is pretty blatant in retrospect.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I seem to remember that the issue with the third chapter is that it mostly serves as a lead-in into LoH VII: Zero no Kiseki. So if Zero isn't also localized it wouldn't serve as much of a purpose.

Yeah this is what I've heard. Mainly that FC and SC are pretty much self-contained while The Third opens things up again to set up the rest of the series, so SC is a better point to leave off the series, if need be.

Who knows, maybe it'll come over regardless, there's no way The Third is as bad a place to leave off the series as FC would have been.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The issue is that Zero and Ao are kinda in a bad place platform wise. There's the vanilla version on the PSP and the evolution version on the Vita, and that's it. They came after Falcom moved off the PC. And I don't think I need to say the Vita and PSP aren't exactly the healthiest of platforms, especially by 2017 which is the earliest they'd possibly come out.

I mean, FC's great launch is pretty great news, but it's less reason to be optimistic and more reason to not completely dismiss the idea out of hand.

(Apparently there was actually a PC port in China but who knows if that changes anything.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you've got to get with the times, no one plays video games anymore.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, there's a new game+, and you would be able to get everything in it regardless of your first playthrough (I think that's what you're asking).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I was linked to an article about a survey done for the Kiseki series' tenth Anniversary that people may find interesting. It's generally written without spoilers for stuff past FC, but there's some things that they couldn't really get rid of so I'll just summarize the most interesting stuff here:

http://www.esterior.net/2014/10/final-results-for-the-kiseki-series-tenth-anniversary-national-survey/

Favorite Title:

1. Trails SC
2. Ao No Kiseki
3. Trails FC
4. Zero No Kiseki
5. Sen no Kiseki
6. Trails 3rd
7. Nayuta no Kiseki

Favorite Male Character:

1. Olivier Lenheim
2. Lorence Belgar(Article uses his actual name, which is one of the things i was referring to earlier)
3. Joshua Bright

Favorite Female Character:

1. Estelle Bright
2. Omitted
3. Tio Plato

The last isn't in FC, you shouldn't recognize them.

Also proud of Olivier for beating out every single male lead.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 28, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ah really? I'll take that out then

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ha, I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided "gently caress it". I don't think I ever even used the monster guide.

if anyone really wanted to check they could see if they still have Schera giving you the monster guide in the prologue, since they'd probably axe that if they were giving up on it.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 8, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

since trails updated like a week ago maybe it's something with all the games that use that engine?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't know if this was already asked, but does anyone know who the American voice actor is for Elena of Ys: The Oath in Felghana?

she sounded like colette from Tales of Symponia iirc, which would make her Heather Hogan

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what level are you? if you're below 35 you're underleveled

otherwise not sure what to say, never had too much difficulty with him. If estelle and joshua aren't doing physical damage have them cast, and olivier is a caster so he should always only be doing that

if you're having lots of trouble make sure the retry offset is turned on, it'll make the battle easier if you retry after you lose.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Joshua/Estelle are both lvl 33 I think, Zane's 35 and Oliver 34. I restarted the battle like four times already. The offset option is really cool and maybe it will make the fight winnable if I get to ten failed attempts.

Can't really cast anything because the robots have that interrupting attack and they're really fast.

Oh man, these fights take forever. And there's like ten chests on the last floor alone.

One quirk of how the system determines battle order is that if you cast and get interrupted, since you never actually cast anything, your next turn isnt delayed nearly as much. So if you get interrupted, immediately start casting again and it tends to go through

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

For the final bosses I basically just gathered everyone in one place and had Olivier and Scherazard continuously cast Earth Wall and thus never get damaged at all :frogbon:

Oh yeah lol. Earth wall is broke, use that

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, the game is mostly easy if you don't do something really stupid but I'm pretty bad at boss fights. Thanks for the tips, will try to beat him later today.

Was the combat system changed for SC or any further games?

There's some tweaks but the fundamentals are the same in SC, later stuff evolves further on the same base, I think

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Honestly I really like the combat system. It's pretty simple but stealing/manipulating turn order is fun to mess around with and battles are over pretty quick.

You're talking sense endorph. That said, you start with way too few options so starting sc at level 35 is cool

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

The battle system gets so much better when you can spam white gehenna I agree.

look if they didn't want me spamming it they wouldn't make it so easy to set it up by chapter 2

i more meant starting with more than a single craft apiece tho

im looking forward to spamming Silver Thorn in SC. aoe confuse + damage, it'll own

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 24, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

really you should replace sophisticated fight with sophisticated fight zanmai, if you must replace it at all

it even has cool cover art

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 25, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah the Ys games are 50% off, buy them if you haven't already

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

can you gift things on Gog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010