Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Oath has at least one item you can miss if you happen to just give away the prerequisite to the first npc to show interest in it. It is quite easy to have the rpg mindset that only the proper character responds to a key item and this game will use this against you in that one instance.

The NPC you're supposed to give it to you literally tells you that he lost his wedding ring though. Like, there's another quest that gives a great key item that you'll almost certainly miss without knowing it's there, but it's pretty easy to infer in this situation, especially since the gold you'd get by selling the ring is a pittance at that point IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

OH RIGHT Save points. gently caress. I like being able to save anywhere in Celceta. In Celceta the "save points" still fully heal you (can't heal over time inside a dungeon, just the overworld), and certain ones teleport to certain other ones. But you can save whenever.

If you haven't played Oath yet, you might just want to pick up the PSP version. The sparse save point issue is more or less fixed by the PSP version letting you reload at the beginning of the section you died in, and not reload from the last save. You can get it for Steam for cheaper, but if you want to do anything harder than Normal you'll probably get pissed off real fast.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

animatorZed posted:

I just played through all the Ys games currently on steam, and I'm glad I did, especially since I hadn't even heard of the series when I was a kid.
Started with Oath -> Origins -> Ys I -> Ys II

The basic thing I took away is that Yunica is by far the best character in the series, who cares about this boring Adol guy :)

I enjoyed Origins the most, overall. Very directed and linear, but I thought it worked well. Bosses got easy towards the end, but the basic act of hitting things was the most fun in this game.
Oath seemed competent, and the bosses were fun and demanding, but the story and characters seemed really uninteresting to me.

Actually playing Ys I was kind of a slog, and I'm glad I didn't start with that one. Ys II was really good all around, though.
Also, playing Ys I and II after origins, with a few months gap in between was a little strange. Kind of like reverse nostalgia although I'm sure for most people who played the older games first it was the opposite. Ys II especially, since it felt like it was finishing the story for both Ys I and Origins simultaneously.

I hope more of the games come to steam / pc because I'm not likely to pick up any of the handhelds, although I might now be tempted to at some point.

Yunica is the best Ys protagonist, yeah. :hfive:. And overall, I really liked Orgins too. It's more streamlined than Oath, but since Ys is generally pretty linear it just serves to cut out the bullshit like not getting the quicktravel item until a third of the way through the game and having to run back to town to upgrade your items in the mean time.

Also agreeing that Ys 1 is pretty lackluster. It's kind of bizarre in that it's such a high-effort remake...but doesn't actually do anything to fix the gameplay problems, like the terrible wizard and vampire bosses. Or maxing out your level before you even enter Darm Tower, making all of the bosses feel unrewarding and normal enemies pointless. Which is weird, because Ys is generally really good about putting gameplay first, and Ys 2 is already doing a better job of making enemies react to the player and resembling the boss fights in the latter games from what I played.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You must be unfamiliar with this series. Hard is good enough for challenge, honestly. Normal is probably best for a no-grind run of Oath, and unlike most other games, Nightmare/Inferno are exactly as hard as they sound, at least until you've mastered the games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the only worth Ys 1 besides the music is when you play Origins and see all the little homages to it like the Darm Tower theme and the reimagined bosses. Like, I had problems in Ys 2, but besides the HP regen cloak it was all poo poo I felt stupid about not figuring out myself, like finding the Roo nest.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The level gating is mostly there to make sure you're fighting most of the enemies, since you can run away so easily once you get the dash and double jump. It should be possible to beat most bosses below the "expected" level as long as you don't run from most enemies, at least on Normal and Hard. Although some bosses like the fire dragon are so tedious to wear down over multiple deaths that I've grinded or lowered the difficulty.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Proto Cloud posted:

The level gating wouldn't be such a problem if some of the bosses weren't so drat cheap. There's far too many bosses that are near impossible to avoid taking damage on and/or have a small opportunity to get hits on.

Oath has probably been the worst offender so far with this because while there's some fights like the lava dragon and the first Chester fight which are fair and have clear cut strategies and counters, there's stuff like the Ice Dragon, second Chester fight, lava bat and the last two bosses that get incredibly cheap. They just love throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you, while giving you such incredibly small and/or risky opportunities to get damage in. It's so much so that it really bogs down a potentially great game. It also doesn't help that air combat isn't as smooth as you'd want it.

I'm just glad that the last two Ys games have used just defense systems to avoid cheap situations, but at the same time they do lose the spacial positioning and movement strategies of the previous Ys games.

I'm interested to see where they're gonna go for the next numbered entry as it might be another major engine change.

I fought Gildias (ice dragon) like an hour ago and none of his attacks made me think "how the gently caress am I supposed to dodge this guy?". He hits like a train on Nightmare, but he's boss you fight after getting the Earth magic, so you can just tackle through his most dangerous stuff. Garland is another boss I'm confused on, since he telegraphs basically every move. Galbalan is some bullshit in his second phase though since I'm still not sure how you're supposed to consistently dodge his lasers, I'll readily admit. And the bat-dragon thing is easily one of the worst boss fights Falcom has done on Nightmare, which is a shame, because if its tile-flipping gimmick was handled better it could have been a great boss.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Proto Cloud posted:

My problem with Gildias is that he has a ridiculously small opportunity of attack on him and is a total roadblock because there is ZERO theming to using the earth magic for defense before this. You get it and you're expected to be well versed in its autoguard in no time. It also doesn't help that you're using this for both offense and defense, so I got even less chances to get hits in. The guy jerks you around for the first stage of the fight which is both dull and a total waste of time. The icicle attack is hard to see and drops random icicles to gently caress you over and his swoop is incredibly hard to see coming, while you're trying to dodge his previous attack. He tends to abuse this move while I'm trying to go for the knockdown too. It's just an incredibly dumb fight and just about every fight after getting earth magic is like this because I guess the game figures you can just spam that to victory which isn't the case.

Outside of the last few dungeons, the game is pretty so-so to me. The combat is far too mashy for my tastes and the normals enemies are a total joke for the most part.

My first playthrough of Oath was on Hard because I assumed beating Ys 7 on normal made me a Ys master, so another boss handing my rear end to me a couple dozen times was old news by that point :v:. I guess we'll have to disagree though, because I barely ever touched the earth magic for bosses except for evading two of the second-to-last bosses' moves.

And the first phase bull applies to a lot of Ys bosses in general. Gildias at least has the courtesy to not go Dragonball Z on you like Chester does.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Just freshly started Ys SEVEN and I'm curious if crafting and smithing as useless as it seems? All those mats for just +1 stat is kinda eh...but then again this Ys game feels a like like Felghana where one level can actually make the difference in a bossfight.

Stats are more like a normal JRPG than Oath, so little changes aren't a big deal. You're generally never gonna be needing a lot of crafting material barring super endgame stuff though, and you learn new skills through weapons so it has obvious uses there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure Dark Fact's tile destroying gimmick is a lot more lenient on the Turbografics version, so I'm not even sure what's up with that. They also fixed the low level cap (which also "fixes" Vagullon), so I'm not really sure why they decided to ignore all the cool stuff an oldass port did. Ys 2 is pretty great at least, endgame backtracking through samey corridors aside.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you change the controls on the GOG version of VI?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hoohah posted:

You have to hit both of the shoulder buttons. You know, including the one that makes you use your extra skill, so you have to get into the habit of holding the right shoulder before hitting the left. I played through the game the first time knowing you could somehow do it from watching a video, but it is literally never explained in the game at all so I figured it was something you pick up / learn later, but I got all the way through and they never explained it.

You must have skipped the tutorial, because I'm like 99% sure they make you do it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

toddy. posted:

I'll be honest they're all pretty bad except maybe Pictimos he's almost passable.

Nyltiger is pretty solid. I mean, you probably forgot about him since he dies in thirty seconds, but still.

• Locked thread