Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The highlight of Ys 7 for me was seeing a suspicious rock wall and, with no prompting from the game, being able to switch to Dogi and break it to find treasure. It's great when games just work the way they should.

I enjoyed 7, but the perfect guard mechanic was really easy and made a lot of boss attacks trivial to avoid just by spamming the shoulder buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Never mind XSEED, I hope Falcom gets convinced to return to its PC roots. I caved and bought a used PSP for Ys7, gently caress if I have to buy a Vita. I realize Japanese companies have the Japanese market to think of first, but I can dream.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Regarding the moving while attacking, there's some degree of auto targeting. If you don't press a direction while hitting something and just keep mashing attack, it'll try to keep hitting that enemy, even if you go past it and have to turn around.

Also you can charge magic while attacking normally, so stick your magic button somewhere you can always have it held down and always have it ready to go for extra damage.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I just jumped into Time Attack, Normal with Yunica. You should be doing around 50-60 damage per hit. Attacking with wind and melee (remember, you can do both at the same time) he dies without any effort. Just dodge a little, jump over his crap, downstab at him, let go of your charged wind attack and mash attack.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

With a charged wind up and mashing attacks you should be getting a lot more than one or two hits, I'm not sure what exactly you're doing. A good time to attack in the second phase is when he does the tic-tac-toe fire pattern. You can just stand in one of the squares and be safe to attack him.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you get right up next to the mantis boss you can run circles around it faster than it can turn, jumping when it does horizontal swipes. This is more useful for Toal but it's good to know for the others.

Also to actually fight the final boss in Origin you need to play as Toal, which means no projectile spamming the bosses to death. And speaking of grinding, I beat Nightmare Toal recently. The level pacing slows way down in Nightmare. I had to go back and grind at least one level before every boss. It doesn't help you're SP poor the whole game either. To beat Darm I had to grind enough that beating Dalles would push me up to 51, and at that point all the enemies give crap experience. It sucked more because I could ALMOST beat the last boss at 50, but the very final phase had too many different attacks getting me every time :(

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Smornstein posted:

Well i beat Origin as Yunica this morning now to beat it with Claw. I've heard you can unlock Adol somehow is this true because i'd imagine he'd play just like Yunica since they're pretty much carbon copies of each other.

You can unlock Ys 6 and Oath Adols for Arena and Boss Rush mode after you finish with Toal.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

kthegreat posted:

Is there anything I should know before getting to deep into Oath? Like, is there anything missable?

Late in the game if you find a ring the item shopkeeper woman wants to buy, don't sell it to her. There's someone in town who'll give you a much better reward for it. As far as I can remember that's the only outright missable item.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If the PC version of 7 never materializes or is awful, the PSP emulator PPSSPP can play it very well.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I remember how bummed I was when Falcom announced they were focusing on portables because of trouble with PC distributors in Japan when over here Steam had already blown up. It's fantastic they're turning that around in a big way. Thanks for all the work you're putting into this, guys.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I started playing Xanadu Next. Pretty enjoyable, although I am super stuck at this part here:

Can anyone that's played this help a brother out?

You can push boxes up half broken boxes, then hit it once to make it into a stair and climb up. It's been a while so I don't remember if there's anything else to it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

On Nightmare difficulty some bosses gain new attack patterns, but you can also choose to play the main game on Hard or Normal and then do Nightmare and Inferno boss rush modes. Boss rush is how you get to the secret bosses too.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

There's no difference in behavior on Inferno I can recall, it just makes the numbers more stacked against you.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The level gating is real though, and one of the things I really dislike about Ys games.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

KaosMachina posted:

http://www.esterior.net/2014/05/is-xseed-games-going-to-release-brandish-the-dark-revenant/
Man, I really, REALLY hope this gets over to America. Brandish was a really fun SNES game.
For that matter, why hasn't anyone MENTIONED Brandish yet?

It was a top-down dungeon delver. All about going into this mysterious ancient tower, while a sorceress tried to kill you, because apparently, you killed her master.
Honestly, it's been a while, so I don't remember a BUNCH of details about the game. I DO remember that the sequel got a fan translation, though: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1442/
The original Brandish is headache inducing. It was originally a Japanese PC game, so when they wanted to have the camera stay behind the player's back they couldn't use Mode 7 to make a smoothly rotating world. Instead the entire dungeon appears to instantly reconfigure itself around you.

The PSP remake is like Legend of Grimrock in that it replicates the awkward combination of real time combat combined with rigid grid-based movement that was imposed by the technology of the time. It's infinitely more playable due to a real 3D camera though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Reiterating that you need to wear the silver set, not the final set, to be able to survive that fight unless you are a TAS. And the holes appear when you hit him, so you need to not trap yourself while damage-racing him.

Enjoy!

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Can't even get through the here it crashing :saddowns:

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 29, 2014

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

goldjas posted:

Bought the game, but unfortunately it just crashes all the time for me in combat, not really sure why, it's really annoying, I basically have to save before every battle, it got really old really fast, to the point where I don't really want to try anymore. I also can't play in windowed mode, whenever I try it just crashes.

I was having the same problems. Try running it windowed in a res lower than 1900x1080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is Catastrophe mode it's own difficulty level, or is it an actual 'mode' so you can play it on Hard or Nightmare or whatever?

XSeed's twitter said it's a separate option from difficulty level.

• Locked thread