Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Adol doesn't play like Yunica because he doesn't get the greatsword. :colbert:

I played Oath and Origin over the last few months and had a great time with both. I was actually pretty impressed with how varied the characters in Origin were; I usually have a super-short attention span in seeing games through but I had fun playing the game as all three of them. Their differing abilities had me adopting completely different tactics for most of the tough enemies (even if, for Yunica, it usually devolved to "use the charged fire skill on absolutely everything"). I only wish that the levels weren't exactly the same across them.

WrightOfWay posted:

His charged fire skill shoots laser beams and is his most reliable source of damage. Mines are better on some enemies but charged fire shreds things up real good.
I found the charged bombs to be really effective against everything that wasn't resistant to their damage. If you lay both of them and then hit the magic button again it instantly detonates the first one you laid (or maybe it's both of them? I can't remember).

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Re: The red enemies with Hugo. I had a ton of trouble on those guys with both Hugo and the third guy. The way I got them with Hugo was like DelphiAegis said, pinning them against the wall with a bomb. What I did was lead them off one of the elevated walkways, then drop and immediately detonate a charged bomb as soon as they got close (that's actually how I beat pretty much every enemy with Hugo). It wasn't as effective as pinning them against an actual wall but it was a lot easier.

With Yunica, of course, you kill them by using the charged fire skill.

Dinky Duck Race posted:

The best Ys Origin music is the Tension remix, and it's a shame it only plays on one boss even though it is the best boss in the game.

I know what boss you're talking about and although I wasn't aware it was a remix, I did think it was pretty cool how Cthulhu suddenly shows up and gets this sweet jazzy tune.

Spruce Zeus posted:

I have not been able to figure out the timing for the lunge attack, I can't get it to happen reliably at all. It just kind of decides to happen every once in a while. Is there any trick to doing it?

The timing is really really precise. I had the best luck (on a gamepad) by flicking the joystick and immediately hitting attack with slight timing variations until it worked.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I was a big enough nerd to play as all three characters and even though Hugo was the least fun to fight as (it seemed to devolve into mashing attack as fast as possible and/or playing Bomberman with his bomb skill) I thought his plot was hilarious because or how much a loving prick he was to everyone.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 2, 2013

• Locked thread