Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I pulled down the Origin demo on steam and loved every 33 minutes of it, even dying a few times to the boss of the demo (Big fire guy in a circular fire pit). I realize there's probably *story* in there somewhere, and starting with Origin is good even though the gametype is different from I and II, but will the story keep me hooked through those games, or is the gameplay the main hook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Fair enough. The gameplay from the demo alone sold me on Origin at least. Now maybe I'll be able to go through this thread again and get all the in-jokes.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Is there something major I'm missing in Ys II? I went through the lava area and it told me "Hey, you might find magic here!" and so I spent like 45 minutes bumping into basically every wall to no avail. So fine, screw it, I go ahead to the next area after burning anyone who doesn't seem to like me then scaring them as a demon, and now I feel like I'm missing something again at the temple. I have the Holy Cup and can get transformed by Dalles, but it still feels like I am missing magic or items or something else. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track and okay, or if I should backtrack somewhere because I missed something? There's a gap in my accessories between the hawk idol and the cleria ring, so I feel gypped. :(

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Huge Spatula posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Ys Origin where you have to take on the red enemies in the tower after visiting Devil's Gaze for the first time as Hugo? None of his attacks seem to do more than 1 damage to them, am I just supposed to 1 them to death?

I used the mines. I found that if you placed a mine such that it would push them towards a wall, you could get a lot more hits in. They kept obliterating me repeatedly, though and it was one of Hugo's hardest parts. If all else fails, go and grind two levels out in the previous area. It's hard, but doable.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SpruceZeus posted:

I have not been able to figure out the timing for the lunge attack, I can't get it to happen reliably at all. It just kind of decides to happen every once in a while. Is there any trick to doing it?

I found it easier to do on Hugo and Toal and it seems to trigger best for me if you tap a direction, wait a beat and then hit attack. The small amount of waiting is what takes getting used to. Sometimes I could trigger it on Hugo by firing one direction, changing direction with a tap and it'd go off.

I don't understand Ys II though. I'm on Zava and I've watched multiple boss videos on youtube and I'm doing the same things.. I'm even overleveled in the game, but no matter what I do, the bats won't die. I put 30 or 40 charged fireballs into them and they just keep flying around. I am at a complete loss.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Do you use the Falcon Idol and have full Battle gear? What level are you at?

Yeah. And level 48, so 255 hp/mp. Still using the super slicer or whatever the name is, the one-step up from the Tulwar, but I just put fireball after fireball into the bats that fly around and they won't die. Even did a full exit of the game and reloaded, and they're still seemingly invincible. :(

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm playing through Origin as my first game and I really dislike how you move around when you attack. When I'm surrounded on every direction by stuff and I just want to stay in a tiny safe spot and hit him, I just want Yunica to stay still instead of moving around to the other side of the boss by herself.

The game is really good though. I thought fighting regular enemies was boring early on, but they've improved a lot over the game, and every boss fight so far is great.

edit: But I don't know about Jenocres, he can cancel his attacks into other attacks instantly and you can't jump out of attacks so I don't think there's a guaranteed way to attack him without getting hit.

You start to get used to Yunica's moving while attacking after a while, honestly. What I loved about Origins is the extra characters that play entirely differently from one another. Doing Hugo after Yunica was just a massive change in how I approached enemies. And then the other. Oh man.

I want to pick up the other ones on steam besides I and II (Oath and Felghana, right?) but I fear my 30+ hours in origin shall ruin my experience of the fighting mechanics. :(

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Well, I did it with the two original to see all the storylines, because I'm like that. I assume Toal's campaign is the "cannon" version of events?

And yeah, the final boss was a joke compared to bosses like the mantis. I was completely confused for the second stage of it though. Never occurred to me to use magic. :v: At least Toal's final final boss was pretty badass in mechanics and setpiece.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm pretty sure he blocks all your magic until those wings of his come up, and you have a very short window of time to get rid of his shield.

Never had that happen. What difficulty are you playing fighting him on? I know there were a few mechanic changes between easy/normal, so I'm just assuming there are between hard/nightmare as well.

e: Oh. Well don't get sucked into the giant purple lazer area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I am jumping a lot, but I still get hit because I'm in a pretty localized area when I'm trying to destroy these spikes and the gas bombs literally cover the floor. I did really like the other bosses so far, I'm just kind of stuck on this one. I just found out I missed an axe upgrade, though. Maybe that's the key.

If you swap to wind skill, you can quickly clean out a lot of the bombs while focusing on the last part of the shell. I found it a lot easier to blow up the shell parts near the head first, then the tail, but you can always grind a level and make it a lot easier if you want.

• Locked thread