Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I'm playing Ys 1 and get to the boss that breaks into small bats and I am just about ready to uninstall this piece of poo poo.

It was going so well too, I was really enjoying it up until this point and then this comes along. What's the tip here? I just run around in circles and wait for those two nanoseconds where the boss is vulnerable. Doesn't help that none of the rings work against the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've maxed out everything and have the silver sword, armor and shield. The biggest issue is that the window to hit the boss is so small and when I do hit him he breaks into bats and covers the screen. None of the rings make any difference either.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Alright, just got to the final boss in Ys 1 and between laughing fits over how loving stupid this all is, I gave up. Even 1987-me would've thrown in the towel because holy Christ-eating-poo poo is that bad. The difficulty didn't even bother me. It was the whole yakety sax routine of having to run around in circles.

Doesn't really matter as Ys 2 is shaping up to be much better. Looking forward to playing through Ys 2 and then hitting up the Ys: The Oath in Felghana remake that I heard was really good.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Got all my spiffy silver equipment and boss still gives no fucks.

Oddly enough, I loved Darm tower. I could actually see where I was going and it had those neat little balconies where I could regenerate health. I cackled like a madman when I walked down that one narrow hallway and saw at least seven enemies facing me. It was cool not having to line up my attacks and see how powerful I became by that point. Was bouncing around like a pinball in there though.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

toddy. posted:

If you think Dark Fact comes down to luck then you should probably stop playing the Ys series while you're ahead because 1 out of 5 bosses will probably make you say that. I'm not saying you're correct, you're just kind of complaining for the sake of it, not that you're the first person to react like that to that boss.

I think he's talking about DF in Ys 1 and not Ys:Origin. In Origin, DF and bosses in general were awesome. DF in Ys 1 was just completely laughable. It's basically a Benny Hill skit.

I've almost beat Ys 2 and man what an improvement. Less bullshit overall. I would recommend people just skip the final boss in Ys 1, Google the ending and just move on to greener pastures.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 1, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I just got the ability to talk with demons in Ys 2 and, my God, every game should have this ability. However the more demons I talk to the more uncomfortable I get...

Oh God, I'm committing genocide aren't I? :stare:

Fake edit: As an aside this is the first thing I saw when I talked to the shopkeeper. I still see it if I look at the screen quick without paying attention.

I did the mother of all double-takes the first time I talked to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ys 2 is fun but requires some grinding here and there. Especially near the end and right at the beginning when you need to grind cash. I'd give it a go.

Ys 1 is pretty average and short but has some of the shittiest bosses I have ever seen.

I'd say wait for a sale or just watch a LP.

• Locked thread