Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

InfinityComplex posted:

How long are those sales lasting? Totally want to get Ys 1&2.

Summer sale lasts until July 22nd. If you're not totally sold on the price, wait until later in the sale to see if it goes lower. Just don't wait too long, or the sale might end first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

8.99 USD/AUD
7.19 Pounds
8,39 Euros
179 Rubles

Yo, this is currently 66% off as a flash sale. Go pick it up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223810/

Ed: Scrap that, all the Ys games are on sale.

All games are now back to normal sale price. If you missed it, keep an eye out of for a daily deal.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 13, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Sure seems to me that this is meant to be the general Falcom thread going off of the OP and thread title. Xanadu Next, Zwei II, etc.

It's probably too little too late but it sure seems like Trails could use more exposure given the sequels haven't made it over stateside.

Yeah, it's supposed to be the General Falcom megathread. I just haven't updated the OP in awhile. I was going to use the TITS LP for resources and info, but I stopped following the LP due to getting on top of real world poo poo. If I get the chance, I'd love to do one, but only if I can do it justice. Alternatively, if somebody wants to write up a little thing on their own, I'd be happy to put it in.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, since Steam is having a midweek madness sale on the YS games, which one should I go for if I've never played an Ys game in my entire life?

Origin.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

I wouldn't count on Ys 6 any time soon. The English version on PS2/PSP was put out by Konami so there may be some legal red tape, or requiring the translation to be entirely redone for Xseed to bring it to Steam. I could see Ys 7 being more likely (assuming nothing's wrong with the PC version. I think it only got released in China?)

Didn't somebody do a translation patch for Ys 6? Couldn't Xseed ask to use that guy's translation instead of the Konami one? Hell, it's probably better than the Konami one.

And I think the PC version of Ys 7 is just crammed full of DRM.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Play Oath first if you've never tried Ys before, telling somebody to start the series off as somebody who isn't Adol Christoffdenson is the most insanely hosed up thing I have ever heard and you won't appreciate anything in Origins.

Um excuse me I think you'll find the adventures of crazy teenager with an axe is much better than some red-haired dude with a sword.

The true answer, of course, is just play all of them.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Please put FC on Steam, please please please please please...

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

This is the best loving news I've heard all day. Added a bit to the OP about it, I'll add a section for the games themselves once I get the chance.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mindblast posted:

:confused: Trails of the what? If this is as good as people claim and we already have this first chapter released is it available for pc as well?

Trails in the Sky, or the Sora No Kiseki trilogy. It's a trilogy of turn-based rpgs from Falcom's long-running series "The Legend of Heroes," which is about as old as Ys itself, give or take. The first game was released on PC in 2004, ported to the PSP, the PSP version was brought over, and the rest of the world saw gently caress-all of the PC version until this announcement.

Also they have a gently caress-ton of unique NPC and story dialogue. How much?

That much.

Ed: That's not including NPC dialogue, BTW.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Thinking of asking for a thread name change. If you've got any suggestions, toss 'em here.

Also if there's anything you want me to add to the LoH:TitS section of the op, just holler at me and I'll put it in.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about a thread name change/purpose change unless you want this to become a general Falcom megathread anyway; once PC Trails FC gets close to release I was planning on making a Trails-specific thread for that release and to lead up to the release of SC. I imagine :trailschat: will move over there once that's up, and this thread will go back to being mostly about Ys.

Honestly, this thread gets so little traffic and the thread is already kind of a general Falcom megathread that we could probably do both without much trouble. I do kinda want to keep the Ys part in the title just because it's kinda the thread focus, but I wouldn't mind adding something about TitS.

Your call, though. You're the one helping get the game out there.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Thinking of "Ys is the TitS - Ys and Falcom Megathread, Starring Trails in the Sky." Or something like that. Trying to fit Trails in the Sky in there without making it too cumbersome is kinda hard.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I like it. Anybody else have any opinions/suggestions? Because if not, I think I'll pm a mod about changing it once I finish playing FFVIX.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ys: Memories of Celceta is going to come out on November 26th. Now if only we could get a release date on Trails in the Sky...

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Updated the OP with info about Ys 5 and Celceta. Also forgot to mention that the Ys games are all 50% off on Steam as part of the current sale.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I mentioned in the Steam thread that I, uh, sort of got absorbed a little into Ys Origins. Ended up sitting in front of the TV for over eight hours straight playing that from beginning to end. Turns out I rather like this sort of game!

I imagine Oath in Felghana is more or less the same deal, just with the mainline characters instead, right? Worth playing if I liked Origins, I assume? Any significant gameplay differences?

Oath is the same engine, but is a little less polished than Origin. Adol and Yunica basically play the same, aside from certain magic attacks not working the same way. The main thing to remember about Oath is that it is harder than Origin and tends to require a bit more finesse to beat. I like Origin more, but a lot of people in this thread swear by Oath.

Bottom line is, if you liked Origin then you'll probably like Oath.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I remember correctly, Falcom used to be a PC developer, until they lost their distributor, which forced them to develop for consoles (PSP/Vita in particular).

Falcom stopped developing for PC because the PSP was mad popular in Japan. I can't speak for the Vita, but I assume it's the same way. It's not entirely impossible for Celceta to make it to the PC, unlike 7, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Oh crud, I just read that there's more to Origins by beating it with more characters. Wwwelp, time to look up what I'm missing, 'cos I'm usually not one to play a game more than once.

Thanks for the info on Oath, I'll give it a look tomorrow.

You can easily skip Hugo. You will want to play third character, as he has some content not in either Yunica or Hugo's story and plays differently from either of them. In addition, his story is the canonical one, complete with the true final boss.

I need to finish my second run of Origin sometime. Never got around to doing that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Just popping by because I found an illustration of Adol from Ys 1 and holy poo poo.

I guess Adol the Brown would've sounded kinda stupid.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

animatorZed posted:

The basic thing I took away is that Yunica is by far the best character in the series, who cares about this boring Adol guy :)

This dude knows what's up.

Last Celebration posted:

Also agreeing that Ys 1 is pretty lackluster. It's kind of bizarre in that it's such a high-effort remake...but doesn't actually do anything to fix the gameplay problems, like the terrible wizard and vampire bosses. Or maxing out your level before you even enter Darm Tower, making all of the bosses feel unrewarding and normal enemies pointless. Which is weird, because Ys is generally really good about putting gameplay first, and Ys 2 is already doing a better job of making enemies react to the player and resembling the boss fights in the latter games from what I played.

I don't know what a not-lackluster version of Ys 1 would look like. I mean, you could fix the gameplay problems and tweak some numbers, but you're not going to fix the major problem: that it isn't Ys 2. Now if only Ys 2 had a map, it'd be perfect.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

victrix posted:

I have been listening to Ys music for almost 20 years

I have never played an Ys game :v:

Hit me up next Steam sale and I might be able to fix that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

victrix posted:

That'd be cool, I'm not sure if I have anything to gift back at the moment: http://steamcommunity.com/id/victrix/

Don't sweat it. I'm getting paid around christmas and the games usually end up as flash sales at some point. I can't afford to do this often, but a copy or so of origin isn't about to set me back. Just don't let me forget when it comes around to it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

animatorZed posted:

Is Ys 6 good? What would be the best way to get / play it right now?
The OP image looks like a PC game, but its not on steam and searching for it on amazon only has a PS2 and a PSP version.

I'll probably pick up Ys 7 since I do have a barely used PSP, for which the only games I own are FFT and ZHP.

If the PSP version of 6 is good I could pick that one up as well, although the only new copies seem way overpriced and I don't usually like buying used.

The PS2 version of Ys 6 was a really weird port done by Konami that adds a lot of weird and unnecessary stuff. I've heard the PSP port was pretty bad (being Falcom's first PSP port), and had really long load times, so I'd avoid that. There is a translation patch of the PC version out if you can get your hands on a copy of that, but that version never got an official English release.

Really, I'm just holding out hope that Xseed brings it over to Steam once they finish off TitS.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Oath is harder than Origin and the enemies in Oath aren't as easy to just blow through as they are in Origin. Start on Hard. If Hard seems too easy, then bump it up to Nightmare. I'd suggest you don't start on Inferno, though. Even people who are really good at Ys have a lot of trouble with Inferno.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 19, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The final boss is way harder, so there's that to look forward to :buddy:

Nah. Last boss is pretty bullshit, but the bat boss is the worst. At least the last boss is always hittable.

Ed: Unless they changed that on nightmare difficulty.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ys II could almost be a modern RPG if it had a map. Aside from that, the game has aged surprisingly well. Much better than Ys1, and significantly better than Ys III.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

So is Origins the best game overall, especially for someone who hasn't played Ys? I'm just looking for most bang for your buck since its on the steam sale, and most of oyu make it seem like its pretty challenging on the hardest difficulty, which is something i might look forward to later.

Oath is the one that's challenging on the hardest difficulty. Origin is probably the better introduction to the series, though, as the gameplay is a bit more polished and it's a bit easier.

Also keep in mind that "challenging" is a huge understatement WRT Inferno Difficulty.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Proto Cloud posted:

You can honestly jump into any of the games without really needing to worry about missing a beat, since they typically are self-contained stories. They just consist of Adol going from one continent to another in search of adventure and there always happens to be some jerk that wants to ruin the continent/island/country for good.

I think the only exception is Ys I/II and Origin, you'll wanna tackle those in that order, as the sequel takes place right after one and Origin spoils I and II. Also, I'd suggest playing the cannon versions of the games since they're usually the best ones.

But yeah, the plots in general aren't exactly phenomenal, but the lore and backstories for the universe are actually pretty cool.

Eh, feel free to play Origin before Ys I and II. The story isn't much to write home about and Origin is just a much better game than Ys I or II.

Ed: If you really care about the story, you can watch toddy's LP of Ys I&II.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I've just learned to do without power attacks, I'm terrible at pulling them off with a gamepad.

Ed: Also Victrix I haven't forgotten about you. I'll send you a copy of oath when I get a chance.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Yo, so in case anybody wasn't aware, Ys & II Chronicles going on sale means every ys game on steam is 75 % off. So if there are any you were missing, now's a good time to pick it up.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

windsor posted:

I'm trying to play Ys Chronicles with this generic USB gamepad (Komodo, TTX Tech). The buttons feel off. I know I could change them to my liking, but could someone share what the default button config should be?

My personal setup on your controller would be:

Ok/Magic - 3
Cancel/Walk - 2
Use Item - 4
Inventory - 1
Quick Swaps - 6 or 7 for either, whichever feels best to you.
Menu - 10
Info - 9

Never played it on the PSP, though, so I can't comment on how "official" my setup might be.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

And we have some news on TitS.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Pray to your deity of choice and try to stick to the edge of the arena.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Try to get multiple hits in on a single pass and don't get trapped. Aside from that, it's just dumb luck. The fight is indeed bullshit, and probably one of the worst parts of the game.

Ys 1 in general is not that great a game. It's not terrible, but it hasn't aged well. Ys II is much better and has a significantly better final boss. If you aren't having any fun fighting Dark Fact, just youtube the ending and move on to Ys II.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So with TitS getting a release date, I figured I'd redo the OP a bit. I'm thinking of reducing the number of screenshots, re-organizing the games so they're sorted by series, then release date, and adding store links to steam/PSN for games available via those services. If anybody has any other suggestions for things they'd like added/fixed, I'd love to hear them.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I think for Ys at least it would be better to list the games in the order they were released, thus moving Origin to be after Oath in Felghana. There are also a few Ys V comments scattered about the thread so you could probably swipe some of them for the Ys V section.

Yeah, I was planning to do that, and expand on the Ys V section. I originally kept it as a joke, since V seemed like the least-played Ys game, but it really should have more info. I was also thinking of adding sections for Brandish and Gurumin, since Xseed is bringing the PSP remake of Brandish to steam, and Gurumin is currently on Greenlight.

Ed: Also I remember somebody mentioning something about the Zwei 2 translation project being put on hold or something like that? Can't remember, anybody know?

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 25, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Whoops, my bad. I misheard, they're localizing it for PSP. Thought I heard something about a steam release, but I guess I was wrong.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

One of the things I'd adding to the OP is a list of remix albums in the second post, complete with amazon/itunes links. I don't have the time or space to list all of them, though, so if there are any you specifically wanna see listed, now's the time to request them.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Alright, finished most of the OP changes. Cut about half the screenshots, removed most of the embedded videos (these should help with loading the page), changed the order of the games so the Ys games are organized by release date, fixed dead links, changed some of the descriptions, included steam/PSN store links, added sections for Gurumin and Brandish, and included a bit about the nightmare that was updating Trails in the Sky's code. I'll add the remix album list in later.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Seriously, the scripts of these games are larger than War and Peace.

This isn't an exaggeration, BTW.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Also I suppose I don't really need to say this but since this is the first time this game has gotten a non-PSP release outside of Japan, please try to avoid spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So are the worst of the bugs ironed out yet? Because if so, I'll remove the warning from the OP.

• Locked thread