Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I picked up Ys Origin and Oath at the Steam Winter sale because I have a thing for older obscure JRPGs. I am now addicted. I hadn't even finished my first playthrough of Origin before I wound up preordering Ys 1+2. Once I'm done with Origin I'm gonna play them in order up to Oath. And there's no way in hell I'm not going to preorder any others that get localized for PC. YS 6 has a PC port that hasn't come our way yet? Make it happen XSEED.

Also did someone say Ys has awesome music? Because drat are they right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, gently caress Dark Fact. People say the bat boss is bullshit (and it is), but beating Dark Fact seems to come right down to luck and pretty much nothing else. loving hell.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

I think he's talking about DF in Ys 1 and not Ys:Origin. In Origin, DF and bosses in general were awesome. DF in Ys 1 was just completely laughable. It's basically a Benny Hill skit.

I've almost beat Ys 2 and man what an improvement. Less bullshit overall. I would recommend people just skip the final boss in Ys 1, Google the ending and just move on to greener pastures.

Yeah I'm talking about Ys 1. If it was Origin I'd just grind two levels then come back and grossly overpower him, but that isn't really an option in Ys 1.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Huge Spatula posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Ys Origin where you have to take on the red enemies in the tower after visiting Devil's Gaze for the first time as Hugo? None of his attacks seem to do more than 1 damage to them, am I just supposed to 1 them to death?

It'd probably be a good idea to grind up a couple levels elsewhere before trying to take them on. At normal levels on that part Hugo has his work cut out for him. I think they set the expected level for that part a little too high.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Last Emperor posted:

To add to what others have said it is much easier in YS II almost to the extent that most of the normal enemies won't really pose a problem. It was really only the final areas where I had to be a little bit more careful in regards to how much damage I was taking. Plus in Ys I it's not hard to hit the stat cap and is pretty much required.

Pretty much this. As long as you're properly equipped enemies in Ys 1 pretty much don't damage you at all and by the time they start to be threatening you have the Heal Ring so you can heal up after any given battle and move on. Unless you go somewhere you shouldn't you really won't die to anything other than bosses. Ys 2 is it seems like enemies deal much more damage but at the same time it's a lot harder to get hit in the first place.

Speaking of Ys 2, Alter Magic is the literal and actual best thing :swoon:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

For the Jenocres fight I just stuck around the perimeter of the area and used the fire skill from a distance. Slow but killing it quickly is less important than doing it safely.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Slur posted:

This tactic will not work with The Clawed Man, for he has absolutely no ranged attacks whatsoever.

He also doesn't fight Jenocres, at least not in story mode, haven't played Time Attack.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I actually did guess that you could cheese Jenocres by sniping him with fire for the whole fight but it did so little damage that I just didn't have the patience to try it for twenty minutes, die, and start over.

What level were you? Fire should've done decent damage and I was level 27-28 for that fight on both playthroughs.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Speaking of spells, is it just me or is Yunica's thunder spell not very useful? The game said you can use it to block certain attacks but I've never seen that happen. It seems like there's no reason to ever use it unless the enemy you're fighting is specifically weak to it, and the wind and fire spells have a lot more utility.

Pretty much from Blighted Blood on (and a bit of Shifting Sands as well) there are enemies where you pretty much have to take advantage of Skill weaknesses. Those undead things you kill to charge the Evil Ring are weak to thunder. Those things that like to spin into you or shoot projectiles in a V shape are weak to fire. There'll be a lot of enemies coming up that'll die really easily to thunder. Beyond that, it's also great for concentrated damage. I like it for Khonsclard quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Well I haven't gotten to Oath yet but in Origin I only really had to grind once. (in order to beat those things that power the Evil Ring as Hugo). Every other time it's like, go top up a level at worst, but otherwise everything's doable just fine. Gelaldy's a wake up call for sure but once you figure him out he's not hard. I didn't even think Jenocres was hard at all. Probably the only bosses I thought were notably hard in that game were Khonsclard and Shion, and even then you shouldn't have to grind for them. Not on Normal at least.

• Locked thread