Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

but I can't imagine it's that fun to play a fast-paced action game on the PSP

It is. Not so much on a 1000 because its screen is a ghosty piece of rear end, but on a 2000 or a Go it's fantastic.

Also I'm going to write up some hints for Ys 1 on BeforeIPlay, but I gotta wait to get contributor access. I can pop them here in the meantime, though, if anybody wants that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Right-oh.

• When you first start off, talk to everyone in town, then go and talk to Slaff. He'll give you a Short Sword. Make sure to Equip it.
  • On the field, and in towns, you recover health by standing still. This doesn't work in dungeons, but we'll work around that later.
  • Save early, save often. New enemies will routinely kick your rear end when you encounter them.
  • When you arrive in Minea you'll have to buy a shield and armour to progress. You start off with almost enough money, so buy the armor, equip it, then go out and grind to level 2. Then go buy the shield and continue.
  • After reaching Zepik and being told to go to the shrine, grind up on the undead knights outside until your hit level 4. This will take less time than you think. In doing so, you'll get to about 4000 gold. Go back to Minea and buy the second sword and armor.
  • There's a Silver Shield in the shrine, be sure to get it.
  • In the abandoned mine is a Heal Ring. This allows you to stand still and heal while in dungeons. If you equip it on the field, you heal twice as fast! Note that this won't work during boss battles, so switch to the Power Ring or Shield Ring for those.
  • There's also a Silver Armour in the mines.
  • Once you enter Darm Tower, you can't go back out, so be sure to wrap everything up before you go in.

That should help out those new to Ys I. It is an old game, so it's a little archaic, but still a whole lot of fun.
Also switch to the PC-8801 music for maximum awesome.

Neo Rasa posted:

but there are cheat codes that let you use all the Japanese stuff instead anyway.

They took that out of the PAL version :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

raditts posted:

Don't listen to these lies, everyone knows you buy the Ring first and give it to the guy in the pub who lost it, so you start out with 1500 gold instead of 1000.

Or get the Golden Pot from the pond near the younger Roda Tree and sell it to Pim for 2000/2200 gold. But with how much levels increase your buffness in Ys I I always just grind that first level up. Gets it out of the way, y'know?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I actually played through all of Seven without knowing about the Just Guard/Flash Step thing. If I remember right for some reason I hardly ever stocked up on restorative items either and just stubbornly forced my way through. God knows why.

So I cleared Ys I Chronicles+. Apparently I've played so many versions of Ys I (Master System, TurboCD, Saturn, Eternal Complete, DS in both Japanese and English, PSP and now Chronicles+) that I know the game like the back of my hand. It took me exactly 75 minutes.

Weirdly though, I've never cleared Ys II. I've gotten to Solomon (Salmon) Shrine, which I believe is near the end, but never actually finished it. I plan to rectify that.

Also Vantage Master had a handful of Ys characters and monsters in it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'd say that VI is about the same as Oath, difficulty wise. There's a bit more in the way of tricky jumping bits, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saralene posted:

So hey, I just put out a patch for Chronicles+ to improve the controller support a bit. I'm still not sure about that Saitek (and can't really test since I don't have one) but people who are having controller problems, any improvement?

Weirdly it doesn't seem to like the PS3 controller (Motioninjoy) but switching the driver to 360 emulation mode fixes it, so no real worries there.

Actually while you're here, I did have this happen: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDK-on6CIAAiEC3.jpg

It was only for that graphic, but man, Feena must have been really exhausted.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I actually like Ys Typing. Also for what it's worth the Ys anime wasn't too bad.

I'd forgotten how much I love Ruins of Moondoria's music :allears:

... And how much I hate Rasteenie.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

raditts posted:

I hope one of these is the music from God's One True Ys Soundtrack, the TurboCD version.

Nope. But the music is just OGG files, so if you have a rip of the TCD version you can swap it out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No, that's pretty much spot on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Did the little keychain things from Eternal Complete make it over? Otherwise I can't think of anything that's missing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Baller.

quote:

And I imagine request #1 would be official TurboCD music, but I wonder if those might be tied up in rights issues somehow. I'm not sure they would, since the base melodies are the IP of JDK/Falcom, but music rights can get so weird sometimes.

Yeah I'd imagine the rights are a total mess at this point. If Hudson owned them, then they're now Konami's and I doubt they'd be forthcoming with them. On the other hand, if Ryo Yonemitsu pulled a Yuzo Koshiro and kept the rights himself.. but really, who knows.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Saralene posted:

Basically they're in samples, so making a loop isn't hard at all for someone who knows much about sound file editing.

Ah, yeah, I remember futzing around with that stuff in Goldwave for looping music in RPG Maker. It's.. not hard, but it is time consuming to get right, and not especially fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The one for Ys II is great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm rewatching the Ys anime. Hilariously there's a fair amount of scenes where Adol just runs through the country side slashing enemies without stopping while First Steps Towards Wars plays. And for some reason Luta looks like a thinner Hercule :v:

Also I still love how allergic to boats Adol is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Heads up to any other Australlians, we can now buy Ys SEVEN from PSN for less than fifteen ausdollars. I'm.. really tempted to buy it again, just so I can have it on my Vita :negative:

e: I bought it. I have no self control.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo I need this. 25 Years of Ys artbook.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

How are those other falcom psp rpgs, the legend of something or other series?

Legend of Heroes? The first three on PSP (Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch, A Tear of Vermilion, Song of the Ocean) have rear end-awful translations thanks to Bandai, and very simple gameplay, but there's a little charm there. Trails in the Sky is huge and pretty good and plays a liiitle like an SRPG but not quite.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sethsez posted:

I doubt the DRM would be an issue if it got brought over, but what else makes it bad?

Oh God, don't tell me that Sourcenext ported it. After Gyakuten Saiban, DMC3SE, RE4 and Onimusha 3 I don't think I could take another lovely-rear end Sourcenext port.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

On the note of Ys7, has there been anything in the department of PSP emulation yet?

There's a couple of PSP emulators of varying quality (PCPSP and JCPSP), but whether they'll run Ys SEVEN (or run it at 60 frames like it needs) is another thing entirely.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

toddy. posted:

Or run any game correctly for that matter.

Actually, well over a year ago I ran Another Century's Episode Portable perfectly fine on JCPSP. Which is weird, because of all developers I rank FROM pretty high in the "do wacky poo poo with their code" category.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Mimic posted:

The only thing that soured it is a bit of backtracking in the tower

Having to go back to Luta (I keep trying to call him Luther) was such a pain in the rear end.

The Mimic posted:

I figure I'll play Ys II when I can and move on to... Oath in Felghana, which is a remake of Wanderers and next in the series?

Yessir.

The Mimic posted:

On Steam, there's also Origin, I understand. And there seems to be a PC version of Ark of Nephistim, but it isn't on Steam? It sounds like it'll be a pain to get, and the OP gives good reason to avoid the PS2 version.

Falcom are re-releasing it to be Windows 8 compatible, but that won't (likely) work with the patch due to having different executables. The PS2 version isn't that bad, honestly, especially if you have the US version and use the codes to use the PC stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The thread should be re-titled "Everybody Loves Dying".

So Much For Today - Ys Megathread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I can't remember, is it actually possible to hurt Dark Fact without the Silver gear equipped?

I can't say for sure, but I think so? He takes very little damage though and if you have the Battle Shield/Armor on he'll gently caress you in the rear end right quick he will.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I just played through the Origins demo. I wasn't feeling it at first because the basic enemies felt boring to fight (although I was only on Normal), but the boss was incredibly fun and took a bunch of tries to take down. I'm probably going to buy the game before the sale ends, but I have a few questions. Are non-boss parts of the game more interesting than the demo part, and is there an option to remap the controls? I screwed up a lot during the boss fight because I felt like the jump and attack buttons needed to be reversed, but I didn't see any option for that in the menu.

Yes and yes. There's a config tool that allows you to customize the controls to your heart's content.

Full disclosure: Your heart may or may not be content once you have customized the controls and I take no responsibility for said contentness or lack thereof.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

raditts posted:

The Golden Sun games on GBA had a similar thing, where if you hang onto the Mind Read ability you can get alternate dialogue from every character in the game. Even in the second game where you can only get the ability if you transfer your party from the first game and it serves no plot-related purpose, everyone still has dialogue for it.

Lunar 2 kind of did something similar too, after the game was over you could go around the world and every NPC had something new to say.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure XSEED used clips from that video for their Ys I/II Chronicles PSP trailer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

Ah, boo on 7. :( I have a PSP 1000 (that I haven't touched or anything for over a year or so), is it worth getting despite the screen "being a ghosty piece of rear end"?

Sure. It's still a highly enjoyable game and should be pretty cheap on PSN now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sandpiper posted:

Oh yeah, this might as well be a Falcom general so I'll just mention that I picked this up since I never got around to it.

It's a pretty good game, especially if you like more story-based Diablo clones like Record of Lodoss War. The translation patch is of fairly good quality, too. The N-gage version is shite, feel free to forget it exists.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Mimic posted:

Xanadu: is that from the series where it's sort of a platformer, and characters can age? If it's what I'm thinking of, it always reminded me of a RPG/Platformer Wizardry.

That would be Sorcerian, I believe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sandpiper posted:

On top of that, imagine a game where every single NPC had something interesting to say, and every single one said something new based on something you were doing ingame or the more the story progressed, and a lot of them were connected and had their own little stories to tell depending on when you talked to them and if you talked to someone else first.

And every treasure chest has a unique line once it's empty. The only equivalents to the battle system I can think of are Wild ARMs 4/5 and Arc: Twilight of the Spirits. So, if you've played either of those you have a bit of an inkling as to what TitS is like.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You sure can. 'sides, you need a Vita for Celceta. You need Celceta. Need.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Guys, we're forgetting the best named Falcom game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zeether posted:

How is Sorcerian? I know it actually came out here on DOS but apparently that version is missing stuff from the Japanese versions.

I wish I knew, I've been meaning to try one of the versions out, because it looks like a cool game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Unmature posted:

I was reviewing XSEED's Ys I&II Chronicles when it first came out and couldn't believe how obtuse the game was. Then I discovered one of the greatest treats in game localization history. XSEED actually includes a guide for the whole first game in the back of the manual! Maps and everything. Since most people play the first Ys as a history lesson, it's worth it to use the guide and blast through that game. A lot of people skip over game manuals completely, so I still regularly get to surprise people with this who've had the game since it came out.

Huh. Well, that's news to me. I flicked through the manual a little, but obviously didn't get far enough to see that. A neat surprise, no doubt.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Falcom are releasing a really nice gold aluminium iPhone 5 case for Ys: http://www.play-asia.com/Ys_25th_Anniversary_iPhone_5_Aluminium_Gold_Case-paOS-13-71-1iz-49-en-70-6ih7.html

I got the email about it maybe two hours ago and they've already allocated all their stock :v: but then again, I use a Nexus 4, so I'd have had no real use for it. :retrogames:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Castlevania 1999? Is that the event that was briefly mentioned in a few of the games? Some sort of war iirc?

It's where Julius Belmont sealed Dracula's castle in the eclipse or something, yeah.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

If I remember correctly, Falcom used to be a PC developer, until they lost their distributor, which forced them to develop for consoles (PSP/Vita in particular).

It's not so much that, they still go back and put out new editions of Oath, Origins, etc for each new version of Windows. More that..well, handhelds was where the money was.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Proto Cloud posted:

So, does anyone know the differences in the PC and PSP versions of Oath?

Also, what difficulty should I roll with in Oath? Keep in mind, I do like hard games like Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls, but I don't like totally cheap poo poo like Dark Fact where you gotta win by blind luck.

The PSP version has voice acting and the timers on the multiplier bonuses are longer. That's.. it as far as I know? Oath is a little bit on the tough side at times, I'd go with Hard and see how you fare.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They're testing it and stuff still, at least as far as one XSEED'ers tweets go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

But is it art?

It's ambrosia.

• Locked thread