Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I finished Origin with Hugo yesterday. I think I came away from that thinking the same thing as most of the other people in this thread. Playing as Hugo was fun for the catharsis of totally destroying everything that gave me trouble as Yunica but it feels like most of the game was designed around the other characters. I started a playthrough with Toal a little bit ago, and so far I think he's my favorite character. The first two mid-bosses were more fun than just about any boss fight with Hugo.

Toal is by far my favorite of the bunch-I really loved his playstyle and how he almost felt like Ys' first 'proto-monk' with his claws. (Going to start a harder playthrough with him soon.) I also loved his story, like, a lot. He became an utter beast.

How his game is the canon story as said by Word of God, and how you discover the origin of the Books of Ys in his ending. I do admit though, I have to wonder why they had you unlock the main canon character by playing through one of the 'what if' stories first. I think the only other time I saw you having to unlock the actual main character of a game was in one of the Megaman games. It's Origin's only design decision I'm curious about. Granted, I found him the most overpowered at the bunch at the end(huge damage AND fast attack speed), so that might be some of it.

I really like the old Ys games a lot, bumper system and all, but I was already used to it from playing them back in the day. I much prefer the Oath/Origins engine, and I'd love to see the old games done in that style one day, but I am playing Chronicles off and on these days(on the PSP.) The music sounds great,though dare I say I prefer the intro to the Turbo version.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Well, I'm playing through as Claw now, on Hard, and I'm not finding it super-challenging(pleasantly tough), but keep in mind he is a powerful character whose got the highest attack growth and speed in the game. I may actually go for Nightmare on him but I know I'm asking for it there.

I personally found the game easier with Claw and Hugo, but also keep in mind-I'm not great with/don't very much prefer 'Mario' characters, so to speak(aka, the generic 'main' character. I play Adol in Ys games of course, or if they're the only one, but if given the choice I go for some sort of Berserker/Big Guy/Monk type.) Most folks I talked to found it easier with Hugo/Yunica.

If I break all 3 down from what I've studied, Yunica is essentially the 'Adol'. Has a balance of everything.

Hugo plays more like a top-down shmup than a mage, I can say that. If you like shooters you'll like the way he plays. I think he has the easiest time-he's really not that flimsy as a mage(to be honest, most of their defense scores are close)

Claw on the other hand, he's the strongest and fastest character(I mean right now in the game I have, his attack power is higher than the other two at the same level AND he attacks at a stupidly fast speed and moves fast), BUT, really doesn't get anything in the way of ranged abilities for a vast majority of the game. Vast, vast majority. So all the instances where you could, say, rely on the other two's ranged abilities(Yunica's fire, etc), you can't with him-you're in the enemies' face all day every day. That being said, because he plays like a berserker monk I love him but if you are a bit worried about some of the enemies then yeah. But I found him pretty much insane in terms of power if you're good with close melee. If you aren't an in-your-face type, I'd consider Normal with Claw(my first full play with him was on normal.)

That being said, it should note that Claw's story is the *canon* one. In other words, Yunica's and Hugo's are 'what-if' stories; more telling 'okay, so what would have happened if they went through the tower? But the true main character of the game is Claw, so to actually play the game through fully, I highly suggest him, since his story explains a lot about the future games. I also highly suggest him because I found his story seriously one of the best JRPG type stories in a long time. As a character he really fleshes out and by far it's the strongest path in Ys Origins I feel(well, given it's the canon story it makes sense). Anytime someone mentions Origins, I essentially push Claw's path hard due to the quality of the story and how fun he is to play.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Yeah, Claw is by far the most fun character, and he definitely had the best story too. I actually feel a little disappointed that none of the other Ys games seem to have characters that play like him.

I think the human boss fights in Claw's story are the most fun in the game, too, and that's saying a lot.

I totally know what you mean. I loved his human boss fights too. I also found I looked forward to those little intermission-stories with him every level.

I'm holding out some hope that the big white-haired guy in Celceta maybe has some stuff along those lines, at least he might have some fast, in your face melee. I mean the only way I can describe Claw is 'Berserker Monk' (in your face Claw-Fu and an awesome slide kick.)

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

The Mimic posted:

Oh, those sales aren't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. Didn't the 3DS sell poorly too, for a while?

Everything about Claw plays amazingly. Particularly how cheap his wind-dash is and how it acts as a moment of invulnerability. And how if you leave the stick neutral and use it, you'll often teleport behind the nearest enemy and turn to face them again.

Beyond just the combat, I also liked his story, a lot. He was refreshing to play as after Hugo, and I liked his personality a lot, too. I can't think of another character from another game that was quite like him, in terms of situation and the way he approached it, either. I haven't played as Yunica yet, because I thought she'd be too much like Adol from Oath and I had just played that through.

I noticed that with Claw too-even though some of his aspects had things that could have been used in a JRPG type situation, he did approach them differently. I mean He didn't 'wangst', he didn't QQ, and while he did push some of it down he was essentially doing anything he could for Reah. Which, of course, ends bittersweet for him. I loved finding out the story about the Silver Harmonica, the Black Pearl and hell, all the books, and how the Sanctuary of Toal got its name. Also-and this isn't particularly happy for him-it highly points that Kishgal, since he survives, had lost control of his power and becomes Tyamalth(sp?), the Ice boss of Ys 2.

Yunica's game really is probably 'textbook' in a lot of ways. I mean she's the Adol-style character and they didn't really do much with being creative with the story. 'True power comes from within', 'plucky hero continues on' and other such things. It had a couple of 'd'awww' parts, but otherwise, yeah. It's not BAD I felt, and I mean I'm a fan of the other Ys games so I can accept a bit of textbook-ness with this series, but I do think it's the overall weakest of the 3.

Hugo's story, I admit-I thought plot-wise it was in the middle because it had more overall story relevance to the canon storyline, but at the same time Jesus, did I want to choke Hugo. I think I literally facepalmed a few times, like 'what is WRONG with you?!' Then it came together a bit more later, but yeah, it had it's moments.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

The Mimic posted:

Yes, there's a couple of quests that are missable too, if I'm not mistaken. One involves Elena and starts at a certain point, the other starts outside of the castle at a certain point. The castle one is the easiest to miss, I think. Basically, after every major event, check around with the NPCs, I suppose. There's a guide on GameFAQs that highlights the few missable things, as well.

The bump system is a little archaic feeling at first, but if you give it a little time to sink in, you'll probably love it. It's simple, but it means running through an area literally means running through the area, with bodies exploding the whole way. Ys II has more to do, combat-wise, as well. It's really not a bad system, but I'm glad they moved away from it. If every Ys game played like that, I'm sure it would get stale eventually.

I like de-equipping Adol after I max out level and run around the early zone before Darm Tower. It's like Adol practices Hokuto Shinken.

As for Oath before Claw: I say go for it-but absolutely eventually get to Claw's storyline. But a break in the monotony that is Darm Tower isn't a bad idea(I did two back to back, but I had gone Hugo to Claw, took a break for awhile, and then eventually did a Yunica playthrough to see her story. Then broke for awhile and had decided to pick up Claw Hard Mode a couple days ago.)

On one hand, I do think the design decision to unlock the canon story was kind of weird, but if I look at it another way, it's a case of 'Earning your real ending.' And I think compared to other cases I actually felt like it was completely worth extra trips through Darm Tower to see.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 1, 2013

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

toddy. posted:

It's easier to mess up and get hedged in the face when attacking diagonally in Ys I & II. Dawn of Ys was a lot kinder about hitting things diagonally because the game had a hard time working out where you were relative to your enemies sometimes and just gave you the benefit of the doubt for free hits.

The enemies aren't what get you with bump and grind Ys games, it's the bosses. They can get insanely bullshit with hitboxes when you're not supposed to shoot them to death. It doesn't matter where you hit them in boss fights, it's when.

*Remembers Vagullion in the original Turbo version*

:suicide:

Really, that one was terrible with the bumper-car style in the original. Since you got ZERO tells on when he was going to actually reform.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I was chatting with a buddy about Chronicles, and we were talking about Dalles. We noticed how they used his updated Origins artwork in the new game. However, he pointed out that before, Dalles looked pretty monstrous, and he said that he liked that idea that in Origins Toal essentially beat the pretty right out of him.

I got to thinking that it could have been cool if they had marred up Dalles' look with some really nasty looking Claw scars to depict the curbstomping Claw administered to Dalles in Origins all those years ago. I mean we put together that Gelaldy essentially got his head torn the hell off by an angrydemon-man, which is why he's headless(well, a disembodied head) in Ys 2. :eng101:

Dunno why, but I just thought that would be pretty awesome.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I know one thing I'd love is another game focused on Claw. I mean the guy may have gotten to do some fun stuff in his time after Origin...or hell, maybe just a bit of a story with him before Origin. He's easily one of my favorite Ys characters, and IMO, one of the best written ones(if not the best written Ys character-I mean I love Adol but he is pretty silent. I do adore me some Dogi, of course, though.)

Well for now I'll have fun replaying his game in Origin and waiting patiently(or as patiently as I can) for Celceta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Mindblast posted:

Castlevania 1999? Is that the event that was briefly mentioned in a few of the games? Some sort of war iirc?

Yeah, basically when Julius was about 18 or so, he was supposed to off Dracula for the 'final-ish' time to the point where he couldn't come back on his own, but had to use Soma in Aria and Dawn to do so. So 1999

I'm actually not completely out of hope for Iga CV games, especially since Mercury Steam didn't quite revitalize the franchise like Konami wanted to. Plus, we did get the one Multiplayer CV after LoS(which, while not my favorite by far, I had more fun with than I did LoS. Which I actually didn't hate at all but it left me kinda middling.) While I'm not a huge fan of constant remakes, if they gave Iga the chance to remake SotN, 2.5 D style with crisper graphics I'd fund it myself if I had the money. I'd be ALL over that poo poo(and honestly, if they like money, I'd think they may consider that. CV isn't a bazillion seller but I do think an SotN revamp would bring in some bucks and not even be that uber-wallet breaking to produce.)

(Sorry for the slight off-topic.) But yeah, I know sometimes companies get ideas for That Game which would sorta be a 'kinda-sorta series closer' but they want to hold off on it.

Then again, if the series closer for Ys didn't feature Adol as the main character I'd be kinda nerd-ragey about that to be honest. I mean I LOVE Origin, I'd love to see Claw in another game by all means as I said(hell, another 2-3 games, he's that awesome), but a Ys 'series closer' needs to be Adol and Dogi in terms of main characters(with Adol as the main playable, I'd love another round at Dogi playable though). I'm old fashioned like that. :colbert:

• Locked thread