Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I know exactly what you mean about that loving cave. Every single time I play that game, it drags to a massive halt right around there. And as I recall, your reward for finishing it is that you get to meet Terra again. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

I agree that artificially extending gameplay by - in this case - making the player play through the entire game multiple times is loving lame, but Yunica was fun as hell. She wasn't as fun as Toal, but it was still a really good time.

Hugo is boring to play, that's the real problem.

Yeah, I like Yunica's play style the best actually, but Toal is also very fun. The worst problem with Yunica and Hugo is that they can't even fight the final boss. How loving stupid is that? What's the loving point?

They should have just removed Hugo from the game entirely, made Yunica and Toal available from the start, and they both get to actually finish the game. I feel like they didn't even playtest Origins at all, and didn't bother to fix any of it despite the post release support.

I actually really like the 3-man party style of the new Ys games, it's very different but it works pretty well. I'd love to see a Secret of Mana game done with a style like that.

Things I don't like about the new series? Basically everything else. Terrible stories (and there's way more of it, which is the real problem), increased grind (though Celceta is better about this), poor balance, Flash Guard is a bad mechanic, etc.

The music is at least still pretty good though, and Dogi is generally entertaining in 7.

Then there's Calilica and Lisa. I never thought I'd see Ys characters I hated more than Terra but they managed it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Celceta's grind wasn't bad overall. Getting 100% map was tedious annoying padding though (and also gets you one of the best items in the game). Farming materials is still just minor pointless padding.

7 was much worse, the weapon/skill system was a lot more tiresome and grinding out materials to get characters decent weapons for the end game was awful. And this is actually important because the game requires you to use all 7 characters for the final boss.

Perhaps the bigger problem that's making it feel a lot worse is that both of those games are a LOT longer than your average Ys game. Usually Ys games run in the range of 10-12 hours tops, but 7/C are closer to 30-40.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Is Catastrophe mode it's own difficulty level, or is it an actual 'mode' so you can play it on Hard or Nightmare or whatever?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Volt Catfish posted:

Maybe I am wrong and in reality a bad.

We will be a bad together then I guess, I like 6 a lot too. Which dungeon are you talking about as being so terrible though? My first thought was the Caves but it has been a few years so maybe I'm forgetting something obvious.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Really looking forward to trying catastrophe mode at some point. Not looking forward to buying the game for a 3rd time :goleft:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

His equipment appearance will still change if you have a full set of equipment of a specific type equiped.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Must have gotten Oath and 6 backwards I guess, I even googled to make sure I wasn't crazy and couldn't find anything. Also all my save files for Ys6 appear to have been deleted :confused:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

toddy. posted:

Honestly a lot of my experience with Celceta was soured by very lame bosses and an exceptionally lousy plot. There are threads of a great game hiding in there but some points stick out that made me not consider a second playthrough for a while. I don't know between it and Ys 7 I still kinda prefer 7 and it doesn't come close to being as fun as Ys II or Oath.

Not saying it's a bad game at all I think it's very good just not really high up there in my favorite Ys entries list. Rates higher than Ys VI but lower than Origin, Ys II and Oath in Felghana.

Still beats the poo poo out of Ys V though.

YsC is getting up there with Ys5 in terms of 'so easy you can just mash your face into the boss until it dies'. Though in YsC you at least have to put a little effort into your gear to make it that way and you actually have to press the attack button as opposed to Ys5 where you literally just let bosses kill themselves by running into you.

But mostly I think that's just Karna being busted as gently caress.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hard. I know that apparently Nightmare is where it actually starts getting interesting, but it was a long game and I haven't really felt like giving it another go since then.

I don't actually dislike the game mind you, just don't think it was particularly great.

E: Or if you meant Ys5, I just played the default version, not the Hard one.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If I had to narrow down one reason why Celceta is much better than 7, it's because it has the dash boots and 7 does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

where the gently caress do I buy this?

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Company-Nendoroid-figurine/dp/B007HY3QM6

• Locked thread