Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I've spent the last month playing through these games on steam and was pleasantly surprised by how great they were. I played through 1, 2 and oath so far and starting origins soon. The only gripes I had were that the final area in Ys2 was a bit too mazelike and confusing, and the final area in oath was not mazelike and confusing enough :v:.

My favorite thing in YsII was the roo spell and how many uses and flavor text there were for it. I was kind of let down that oath didn't have anything similar, and just the one hub town. It almost felt like a step back to me.

My other favorite thing in YsII was that one of the villains basically had no purpose except for being a supreme magical rear end in a top hat. Every time you did something noteworthy, he would just teleport in, tell you you sucked, and then would freeze everyone in time, turn you into a monster, or do something else that screamed "Magical rear end in a top hat". He did this like four times across the game.

I really liked the simplicity of the story and focus on the gameplay. I feel like my rpg tolerance has just plummeted in recent years. I tried to play tales of xillia recently and hated every second of it until I quit about 5 hours in. The gameplay was fine, but every 5 minutes the characters would basically stop to spout anime tropes and cliches at each other until I wanted to strangle every member of the cast myself and save the villain the trouble. This game was cool because every time someone had a problem, Adol just nods as if to say, "yeah cool, I'll do it, no bigs." and goes out to hit stuff with a sword. There was exactly enough story, setting, and npc chat to give it a nice pace between dungeons without feeling bogged down by a stupid melodramatic storyline.

So after origins, I'm looking into 7 and cecelta. Do you think playing cecelta first is a decent idea, or will 7 feel really ugly, dated, and like a lesser version of cecelta if I do that? I doubt I'll see a digital sale on cecelta anytime soon, so I figured I might as well get that first while it's the new hotness and then hope 7 goes on sale at some point.

On that note, should anyone be finishing their game and looking to trade/sell their copy of cecelta, I have a few ps3 rpgs and steam games I'm trading/ebaying soon, so if you're interested in a legendary edition tales of xillia, ni no kuni, disgaea4, or a bunch of steam Bundle fodder, let me know.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Ys Celceta: Can anyone with a completed list help me figure out which items I'm missing? I'm at 99.5% chests, so hoping what I missed overlaps and gives me a place to start looking.

Halbred: #3, 4 and 8

Spears: #5, 6 and 10

Gauntlets: #7, 8 and 13

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

That's right, thanks. I didn't realize the blacksmith quests counted at 2 weapons. Well poo poo. Looks like I have to go chest hunt.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Nope, it was in frogs inn. I actually got all the chests and map completion within about 30 minutes, only to be stumped by 98% harvest points before getting mad at video games and deciding to forget going for platinum. It was a pretty fun ride though, just wish like 95% of the dialogue didn't exist. How does Ys 7 stack up?

• Locked thread