Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first Ys game I played was III on the SNES in the 90's, and you know what? I still like that game. Oh it's definitely the worst of the translated games, but I just got such a kick out of that soundtrack and I guess the combat was good enough for me at the time. I don't think I played any of the other games until a previous megathread here, actually.

My favorite is of course Oath, my beloved Ys III back and better than ever. It beat me to a bloody pulp and I loved it for it. I'm pretty happy with the other games. Ys I & II are classics and I am pretty :swoon: over the Chronicles+ release. The only high profile release I haven't gotten around to is Origins, which has been on my backlog for a while.

Everything I've read on Ys V makes it sound pretty mediocre, though. I wonder there'd be enough demand to get a re-imagination of that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not sure how others feel about it, but after mucking around with Chronicles+ for a while I definitely feel like Complete is the way to go both in character art and in the window size. I don't like how the Chronicles/PSP version zooms in so close; it makes Adol's sprite too big and gives you slightly less of a reaction time. The PSP art also doesn't seem to scale properly at higher resolutions (lots of jagged edges). But that's why the option is there for you to pick which version you want.

Chronicles+ also doesn't have the Turbo CD music, but since it's just .ogg files in a directory it's not hard to "update" it either to utilize them. Hooray~

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only issue I really have with Ys Seven is that there's no reason to not stock up on healing items to the point where it's actually pretty hard to die during boss battles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My only problem with Chronicles+, which will probably get fixed eventually, is that I can't get it to work with either my gamepads (the Saitek doesn't get recognized at all and while the dual shock works in the configuration it doesn't work in-game). For now I've jury rigged some third party software to map keyboard keys to the dual shock and it's working fine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

What is different about Chronicles + from Eternal Complete? I had a halfway-translated EC at some point like a decade or so ago, and from the Stema trailer this looks kind of like it except for the zoom-in mode (which I can't recall if it was in EC or not).

Is there ever going to be a translation of the PC version of Ys VI? I refuse to seek out any of the other versions.
Saralene can probably articulate the differences better than I but the gist of it is that it is Ys I & II Complete, just with a couple of extra hooks. You can set the viewing window to be zoomed in like in the PSP/Chronicles version or use the set-up from Complete. You can also switch between three different sets of music (PC-88, Chronicles, Complete) and two different sets of artwork (Chronicles/Complete). And of course it's also been set-up so that it actually you know works on Windows 7. The only way I can get the original Complete games to run on W7 is to actually kill explorer.exe prior to running them; otherwise the colors get all messed up. There's also a widescreen option though it only really affects the Chronicles/PSP version and the cinematics.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No it doesn't, but if you have the Turbo CD music in .ogg format you can just overwrite the ones in release\music (obviously you'd want to make a back-up of the original files before doing this).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, that seems to have fixed it for me at least. Thanks a lot :toot:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Official support for the Turbo CD music, maybe? Not that that was an original feature in the first place though, and who knows if there are licensing hassles with it. Even the .ogg replacement method results in some tracks not looping properly so having it natively supported would be pretty swell.

Everything else has been great, I'm still kind of amazed you got it working.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming we're just talking the Ys games on Steam and VI/Seven, I don't think there's really a "bad" Ys game to serve as an introduction. For a while it was pretty murky with so few of them translated, not to mention the billion different ports, but it's been simplified rather nicely with these Steam releases. There's even a non-zero chance we'll get VI on Steam as well which is kind of amazing to me. I hope the series is doing well for XSEED.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would say that they are simple but serviceable stories. The worst thing you can really say about them is that they are quite repetitive (basically the same thing happens in every game). One thing that I do think is kind of neat is how famous "Adol The Red" is by later entries. Eventually there will be a Ys game set in not-Rome and everyone will poo poo their pants when he shows up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually I think he means the selection you make when you start a game, in which case the difference is the character artwork when you talk to someone. Ys Chronicles on the PSP had different artwork from the original Eternal/Complete release on the PC. Music is selected in the Options menu where there's a third choice as well (PC-88).

E: If you look here, the first Reah screenshot is Chronicles while the second is Complete. Personally I prefer Complete because at higher resolutions the Chronicles artwork seems more pixelated to me.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 19, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You haven't known frustration until you attempt to beat Zava in Ys II Complete without knowing you could have gotten a better sword from the waterway. I died so, so many times :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of easy final bosses, I just wrapped up a Normal Yunica run in Ys Origin and the last 4 or so boss fights were crazy easy. I think they were the only boss fights I didn't die at least once during.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it's really a big deal having 7 on the PSP. You can probably get that system for pretty cheap these days. As for the Vita, well maybe the Vita doing so horribly will convince Falcom to go back to the PC? Either way I have one for P4G so I'm fine on that front, though I can understand other people being miffed.

For now I'd just be interested in Ys 6 on Steam to see where that differs from the PS2 version.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That boss is basically an endurance run. You try to keep him on the top of the screen, hit him one time from below, then avoid the bats. Rinse and repeat. It just takes forever.

The Mimic posted:

I figure I'll play Ys II when I can and move on to... Oath in Felghana, which is a remake of Wanderers and next in the series? On Steam, there's also Origin, I understand. And there seems to be a PC version of Ark of Nephistim, but it isn't on Steam? It sounds like it'll be a pain to get, and the OP gives good reason to avoid the PS2 version.
As long as you avoid the PAL version, which doesn't have the the cheats to convert the game to "Japanese" mode, the PS2 version is just fine. The 3D models are kind of eh but the gameplay is just fine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Suck it up, equip some silver equipment, and run through that flying fucker :colbert: Though, always good to see others see what's what in Ys I & II. The thread should be re-titled "Everybody Loves Dying".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Ys Origin, although I completely skipped Hugo. It was a lot of fun, though I do think I would've been way too burned out if I had to play through all three characters like you had to in the original. It's not exactly a long game but each character is still pretty much 20 hours of constant battles and dying a lot in boss battles and it can get kind of exhausting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lance Streetman posted:

Speaking of music, I was planning to change the music section of the OP to a "best of" listing of ys songs. I'd appreciate suggestions on what should be in there (please link videos instead of embedding them).
A couple of my favorites would be:

Valestein Castle (Oath in Felghana)
The Strongest Foe (Oath in Felghana)
Ernst (Ark of Naphistim)
To Make the End of Battle (Ys II Complete)

Probably edit in a few more later unless other people beat me to the ones I'd pick.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 1, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'd probably have to play the PS2 version, but Ys VI isn't too far off the mark from Origin and Oath either.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The idea is that you have to try to hit them at an angle, off center, from behind, etc., just never straight-on. It's kind of weird but it just sort of works.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did you get the best sword from the waterway? I tried taking on that boss without it and had the same problem as you, and it made all the difference in the world.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The purple slimes near the end of Origin seem to drop a lot of SP, but I still could never farm enough to get the last few upgrades.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One thing that I always found a bit interesting, but is only minimally touched upon in the games, is that each location in the franchise vaguely corresponds to real-life locations in Europe and elsewhere:

Eresia: The continent is of course blatantly Europe.
Afroca: Hmmmmm
Ys and Esteria: France, specifically Brittany. That's where its real-life counterpart was as well.
Celceta: Northern Spain
Xandria: Alexandria, duh.
Felghana: Germany, though some of the geography reeks of Switzerland.
Canaan Islands: Bermuda
Altago: Algeria
Romn: Rome, obviously.

Have a map.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of future Ys games for her to possibly appear in, they have to one set in not-Rome eventually. I wonder if Falcom is holding that off for the same reason Konami still hasn't done Castlevania 1999.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just a minor observation for the OP: Technically, wasn't Mask of the Sun originally the "official" version of Ys IV instead of Dawn of Ys? A moot point now that Celceta exists of course. Also, we have mentions for the Ys typing game and the Ys/Trails crossover, but nothing for Trails in the Sky itself?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sure seems to me that this is meant to be the general Falcom thread going off of the OP and thread title. Xanadu Next, Zwei II, etc.

It's probably too little too late but it sure seems like Trails could use more exposure given the sequels haven't made it over stateside.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When they're this cheap I don't see why one can't just buy all of them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cephas posted:

Is there any connectivity between Ys 1 and 2? I'm stuck at the final boss and I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind just watching the ending on Youtube, but if my save file carries over then I'll tough it out.
I don't believe anything carries over, though there was a little bit of confusion with this earlier in the thread. Regardless there shouldn't be anything wrong with starting up Ys II fresh.

But just the same, equip that silver equipment and tough it out anyway :colbert: Keep moving, don't let him trap you, and try to run along with him rather than intercepting him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails in the Sky Second Chapter might be coming out in English: http://kotaku.com/oh-my-god-xseed-is-teasing-trails-in-the-sky-chapter-t-1260598555

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WendigoJohnson posted:

Is this coming out on Vita? This means I'm going to have to get a Vita....

Maybe I'll hope beyond hope and this will get released on the Wii-U or some other nitche platform that I already own.
Trails exists on Windows, PSP, and PS3. Xseed already released the first one on PSP, but I suppose they could jump straight into SC on Steam as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Were there any substantial differences between the PSP and PC versions of the first chapter? I don't mind re-buying it on Steam, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure there are no permanently missable elements. You can revisit any dungeon and the chests never go away. To be honest I'm struggling to think of any Ys game that has permanently missable content. They've always been games you can just as well play without a walkthrough unless you physically got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go (Solomon Shrine got me the first time :negative:).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looking it up, are you referring to some NPC quests? Why do I not remember those being in there at all? Were they added in the PSP version?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How long does it take for Vita games to first show up on PSN on release day?

E: There it is
E2: Awwww poo poo that item fanfare :swoon:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wanted to finish up Recettear before diving back in Celceta besides the first few hours I played on day 1. I somehow wound up picking everything but the right path in the forest and mapped out about 25% before finding the right area.

Is there any reason to hang onto materials from beasts or plants? Obviously any kind of ore can be refined and used on weapons, but it seems like plant/animal stuff can just be exchanged and then sold. I can't really remember how it worked in Ys Seven. E: Just found the second village where I can craft stuff, so I guess that answers that.

As for Ys V, the timing can't be a coincidence, can it? I'll definitely give it a look, although a part of me was hoping that was next on Falcom's remake list.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Originally, yes, but the US Steam release was changed so that you only need to beat Yunica or Hugo to unlock the third character.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's worth it, that character is a lot of fun to play as and you get more content than either Hugo or Yunica.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is going to sound silly because well duh but make sure you upgrade your weapons/armor when you find new towns in Celceta. I guess I was thrown a bit by how the main town has separate item/weapon shops but the other towns seem to combine them; just wasn't paying attention. Probably could have made my life a little bit easier in the Ancient Burrow had I bothered to get new equipment.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 5, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Surprised there's been so little Celceta discussion in here. Anyway, I finished it and it was good. I enjoyed Ys Seven but I sort of forgot most of it afterwards; Celceta felt like a much more refined iteration and I think it's one of the stronger entries into the franchise. I still think it's a bit too easy and still kind of miss having only Adol as a playable character. Maybe Falcom thinks they need a party system for handhelds. They also missed out by not having the final scene of the game be Dogi returning with a "Hey Adol, hope you didn't get into any trouble while I was gone!" The story was just begging to end on a note like that. The music was better this time around compared to Seven as well. My favorite probably being Seeking the Vanished Mask.

Time to take on Ys V so I can say I've played every game in the series :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish the Gale Shoes were a passive item rather than something you'd equip. There's pretty much no segment that wouldn't be made better by having the ability to blast through them at 200 MPH, but I tended to equip that urn instead that gives you money because hey free money. Same thing with the artifact that lets you break rocks by tackling them; just have it be a passive upgrade that is always on so I don't have to keep going into the menu.

Did you try killing the Unicorn/Princess Mononoke thing in the east of the forest? I thought he was impossible, but he's actually quite easy to cheese if you're willing to retreat to heal up.

As for items, that's actually the main reason I think it's even easier than Seven. In Seven I did indeed have to use healing items on several boss fights, which at the time I felt made it too easy. But here? I didn't even need to use items for any of the boss fights. I guess I could have handicapped myself by unequipping either the Life Rings or Hero Cloaks (the accessory that gives you a boost depending upon how many enemies you've killed) I had, but I really hate it when games only become difficult when you intentionally make it harder on yourself.

• Locked thread