Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
If I were to pick up one of the two modern Y's games on Steam, which would be a better choice: Oath in Felghana or Origins? Last one I played was VI on PS2 and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Suaimhneas posted:

Obviously the right answer is to wait for a sale and buy both

That's usually my plan. I overlooked them last big sale but playing Trails has rekindled my interest in all things Falcom.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just beat Trails in the Sky and I can see why everyone held it up as a fantastic game. It's a slow start and burn, but events progress and the world is built until it all comes together in a really believable way. The stakes ramp up in the last two chapters to a well earned climax. The ending was a bit of a gut-punch after everything though. That said, I actually fist pumped when Cassius showed up to save the Colonel. . It just felt like the end of the journey, in a good way. So, final verdict: Good story, fun characters, great world building. It's going to be a long wait til the sequel.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ryuga Death posted:

Oh yeah, you're here. Here's what I thought of the ending, if you still care at all. Even though I was able to predict most of the twists of this game like Kloe being the princess/someone of royalty, Richard not being the real mastermind behind everything, etc, I admit that I didn't see the twist of the professor being anything more than a bumbling idiot. Is it silly of me to say that I felt sad about the whole ending thing between Joshua and Estelle? :smith:

All in all, I really enjoyed the last chapter. The final dungeon was a lot of fun and was waaaay too short for me.

Regarding your spoiler: I felt like an idiot for not thinking more of Alba, but I guess that was the point. I probably said "Holy poo poo" out loud at the reveal. And no, It was pretty heartbreaking that the confessions of the two characters would end on such a down note. I honestly didn't expect either of them to tell the other what they were each hiding but even more so I didn't expect it to lead to their separation. They did such a good job building the two of them as likable individuals and a solid team that it felt like such a downer for things not to work out for them. That may have also been part of the emotional nature of the ending: the whole game was so bright and cheery and light that the dark turn it took in the ending was a total surprise.

The final dungeon was pretty boss but you are right about it being short. I ended up skipping most of the map battles though, so that was probably part of it. I did all the chest battles and that was pretty much it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How is the third Trails game? I don't hear much about it when people talk about the Trilogy. I know the soundtrack is all kinds of great, and that Estelle is not the main character but that's it. Is that coming out here after SC?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

The third trails game is weird. It's basically a bunch of more self contained chapters that tie off minor loose ends of SC and lay the groundwork for the next game. Estelle isn't the main character because SC ends her story and Joshua's. 3 is more of an extended epilogue for them and most of the SC party.

Xseed has basically made it clear that if the other two sell well they'll look into getting the third.

Awesome. I don't know why it took me so long to play Trails since I do own a PSP but beating it has made me a fan of the series and I want more. There's something about it that grabs me. That said, I'm kind in a Falcom mode in general right now, at least til Destiny hits. I really hope we see SC this year. I didn't expect to get so excited about it but here we are.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tamba posted:

I'll try

It's basically like this (no story spoilers only game mechanics/flow):
The whole game takes place in this multi-floor dungeon/illusionary dimension-thing (one floor per chapter) and it's basically
- Traverse the current dungeon floor
- (Possibly fight some bosses on the way)
- Fight a boss at the end of the floor, story happens
- Move on to the next floor, repeat
Spread throughout the floors are doors just standing around. Each door has a condition to open it. For most of them it's just "have character(s) X in the party), but there are some like "have a certain amount of money", or "have fought x battles"...etc).
What's inside the doors varies.
The character doors usually either continue that characters story (i. e. Tita/Agates door is about what those two did after the events of SC) or provide more backstory (Shera's door is about her time as a Junior Bracer, Estelle gets a really adorable childhood story, ...).
The non-character doors are mostly worldbuilding (reading some documents about the Epstein Foundation, the history of Orbments, stuff like that) or minor characters (the Capua family, those gang members from Ruan,...).
There are also some doors that contain minigames.

Some doors introduce/hint at things that will become relevant in the later games, and if you've cleared all of them, you get a final door that's more blatant about it...

Like Spacedrake said, SC nicely finishes Estelle's story, while The Third tells us more about all the other characters and the world while setting up stuff for the later games.

That sounds pretty cool to me, honestly, especially if it means we get the later games. I really just want more Trails.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

For the final bosses I basically just gathered everyone in one place and had Olivier and Scherazard continuously cast Earth Wall and thus never get damaged at all :frogbon:

I found that out right at the final boss through sheer luck and desperation. I'm kind of glad because the rest of the game isn't really hard enough to use it but it's so easy to use I probably would have.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Koguma posted:

That Lorence fight in TitS can go straight to hell. Took like an hour and a half to beat that guy. He wasn't even killing my party, just healing himself every other turn and muting my mages.

I can't remember how I did it but I think I had like 200 CP or whatever, used the Earth shield spell to protect my party and went apeshit with super moves. I'm pretty sure I gave Estelle the weapon from turning in all 10 books to that guy so she was about as strong as I could make her. I also made Time orbments for everyone to cut down on cast time and such.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Finally picked up Origin for 6 bucks. They really need to release VI on Steam.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

I think they said they were looking into that, although that was a while ago so who knows what came of it.

anyway, Origins is good, enjoy gamer

Origins is really very good. I think the pacing is a lot better than Felghana out of the gate and the soundtrack is better too, but that's personal preference.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpaceDrake posted:

I've mentioned this before, but the problem with Napishtim is that, since the extant script is owned by Konami, they'd need to re-translate and re-insert the script, plus bring the game up to spec; basically it'd be as much work as any other game. So it's really a matter of finding time in the schedule.

That sounds like it'd be very back-burner at best.

Similarly, I bought a PSTV largely to play Celceta; imagine my dismay when I found out it wasn't compatible. XSEED seems optimistic Falcom will find time to update and patch the game to be compatible but I wont hold my breath.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Renoistic posted:

If I'm only getting one Ys from the Steam sale, should I go for Origin or Chronicles? I've only ever played Celceta, which was great if a bit on the easy side.

Origin is probably the most polished. I think the pacing is a lot better than Oath. It is a bit easier on the same difficulty though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Oh poo poo! My body is prepared

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

They decided to be dicks and only check a certain thread. They also haven't started handing out keys yet.

So if I did what they said originally and followed the game, that doesn't count? Where is this thread they never mentioned originally?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Volt Catfish posted:

Ys VI, April 28th, Steam.

I will enjoy this as the only fan of napishtim :clint:

Not the only, dawg. :hfive:

Gonna buy this right off. I also have a soft spot for the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Overbite posted:

Does the story in TitS ever pick up because I'm about 11 hours in and I'm just getting to the point where I have to find an airship and nothing really happened so far. How long is this game?

The game is a lot of different threads that come together late in the game. The real "Oh poo poo, this is happening" doesn't really hit til I think the end of Chapter 3. You have to understand it's a game less about an epic story and more about the world and the characters involved. By the end you know them so well that the story matters because they do. If you're not into the slice of life character stuff it might take a really long time to click for you, if it ever does at all.

EDIT: Is there any word on the new PS4 Ys game? The last I saw was the announce trailer from last year and I can't find anything new on it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just finished Napishtim for the first time in ten years? I dunno. I sure do love the game but man is it shorter than I remember. Probably because of the lack of teleporting in the original.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I wish Celceta would get patched to play on PSTV. I loving love Ys and it's the only one I haven't played. The party based combat of Ys Seven was pretty good for how different it was.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

That release date basically confirms that Sky SC will be out in the next two months, right? Would they release Cold Steel first?

Maybe it will release during or shortly after E3.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hoohah posted:

Nope. I think the game warns you a million times before you get there that you can't go back. I tried on the steam version with warping and its disabled there as well.

I've been replaying Ys Seven since last week and I'm not sure why people feel its the weakest game. I'm not including games that have been remade, and I think Seven is still far more playable (and replayable) than 1, 2, 6 and maybe even Origins. Sure its unpolished compared to Celceta but so was Napishtim compared to what followed. PPSSPP fixed most of the earlier bugs with it (the minimap being a black square, a dungeon being entirely in the dark when it should very clearly be lit up, etc) and I'm contemplating giving it a go for an LP.

The only things that irritate me about Seven is the button combination for guarding and Aisha's attack voice. At least you can turn the latter off or just not use her.

I think how much you like Seven is dependent on how much you like the break from platformer-Ys to party RPG Ys.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

queeb posted:

Hey guys how long of a game is trails in the sky, I just grabbed it since I've heard really good things. The PC controls are actually pretty good, but I have like 2 weeks until the FFXIV expansion comes out, just wondering if I'll have enough time to get through it.

Pretty long. I think my clock read like 40ish hours by the time I beat it?

EDIT: Just checked Steam - 46 hours.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

Have some e3 Cold Steel clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WwHknto90 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_rlrhGg5E Battle Clip, shows off some translation for you people who are insufferable spergs about that.

This looks good and I want to play it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zombie Samurai posted:

I don't really play JRPGs outside of older Final Fantasy games (and Skies of Arcadia), but I felt compelled to pick this up. Really hoping it's as good as everyone says, because it looks like it has a lot of meat to it.

I say this a lot, but the thing to remember is it's not entirely like other RPGs in that it's very (almost exclusively early on) character focused. The events and the story take a long time to get going because the game takes its time establishing the characters which in turn lends the events more weight. By the time it starts feeling like a JRPG story, events hit home way harder that you'd anticipate. You kind of have to meet the game halfway on that, but it's completely worth it in the end.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I hope we hear about Trails SC soon. I want it. I want it now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

the booty in this case is Trails SC

Cake Attack posted:

the booty in this case is Trails SC

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paperhouse posted:

Oath in Felghana is the best Ys game and that's a fact

Origins is better though

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paperhouse posted:

It's too easy m8

This is true, but I feel like some of the difficulty comes from a lack of polish compared to Origin. If you're looking for a tougher experience though, I can definitely seeing Felghana as the go-to. I just played both back to back (again) and I just enjoy Origin more, personally. Yunica is great but Number 3 is just on another level of fun to play.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Patter Song posted:

I was seriously thinking of picking up a PS TV the other day but luckily I stopped and checked to see what Vita games it could actually play.

Is there any chance that the PS TV will be able to play Memories of Celceta? It'd probably push me over the line into getting the system...having two different Ys games I've not played on it. (Ys 7 is not enough on its own)

(The other game that PS TV doesn't play I'm very disappointed in is Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, but Konami's gonna Konami and I've given up on that)

Celceta was the game I bought mine for and it's still not compatible. Nearly everything else is though, so if you don't have a Vita is a cheap way to get one.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

So wait, all that needed to be done was to change the whitelist file and Celceta becomes playable? What the gently caress, Falcom?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Erpy posted:

In other news, apparantly the latest firmware update for the PSTV allows people to play Memories of Celceta without needing to apply a hack.

Wow, really? That's the game I bought my PSTV for back when it was new. Is there a confirmation somewhere about it?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

i have no idea how legitimate these people are but this is where i heard about it

https://twitter.com/vitareviews/status/650680601729703937

Well that's awesome news! I wonder if it works for the PS Store version or just the physical copy. I don't see why it would be different but I dunno. It's been a mess up til this point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Falcom went pretty silent on Ys 8 after the reveal last year. Did they show anything at TGS this year, or even mention it? I want some next gen Ys.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

Isn't Memories of Celceta a remake of 7?

No, of 4. Seven is just Seven.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Oh gently caress i'm crying

EDIT: I'm vibrating like Sakurazuka's av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Erpy posted:

Quick Estelle, verbalize our thoughts into one universal statement of joy!

Yeah, that'll do. :)

not emptyquoting

• Locked thread