Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All those games were still doing the "Move through corridor => grab keycard/flip switch => proceed to next corridor" school of design. They may have had superior graphics and control but Rare's console FPSes had actual objectives and the difficulty levels did more than pump up enemy HP and damage.

Half-life had actual objectives. And besides, that's all nonsense because first person PC games were doing all kinds of crazy poo poo as far back as Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and Pathways into Darkness. Hell, Goldeneye came out a full year after Strike Force Centauri which is vastly more sophisticated.

Funkmaster General posted:

I remember seeing the first Halo running on a GameStop demo booth when it was about to release. I turned to my mother and said "Look at those graphics! I don't think it's possible to make something look better than that without being photorealistic."

People still say this about games :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think it's pretty clever of them to give a glimpse of their next gen game before the consoles are even announced. That way people will immediately be asking about Destiny once the console announcement happens. In the meantime, they drum up interest by being mysterious.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Overbite posted:

Maybe they don't want to make a PC version because of all the competition. The consoles have nothing that compares to a MMOFPS aside from MAG or maybe Dust.

Competition? The only MMOFPS right now that is worth while is PS2, and that in itself is pretty drat buggy and crazy. I do not know what Project Titan is, :iiam:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I think the only "competitor" on PC to ActivisionBlizzards's DESTINY would be ActivisionBlizzard's Project Titan.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poniard posted:

I think the only "competitor" on PC to ActivisionBlizzards's DESTINY would be ActivisionBlizzard's Project Titan.
You mean, the game that we know even less about than Destiny?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Well, they're in the same boat :v:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Amazon allowed me to pre-order on the 360 so I don't know how the gently caress that's gonna work if they announce it for the Next720 or whatever.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm calling capes as the new Hats and I'm realllly excited about it.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Fifty Three posted:

Amazon allowed me to pre-order on the 360 so I don't know how the gently caress that's gonna work if they announce it for the Next720 or whatever.

It'll be the lovely version where you play with the other poor guys that cannot afford the 1000$ new consoles (like me :thumbsup:)

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

E3 is shaping up to be a doozie!!!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

They'll cancel your pre-order since they didn't charge your card and send you a "whoops, our bad" email, would be my guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

doomisland posted:

E3 is shaping up to be a doozie!!!

Now a days E3 is only good for an embarrassing spectacle or two.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Was pretty amused by their statements in the VIDoC.

"We wanted to do something new, ground-breaking, something we've never done before."

*reveals a sci-fi FPS for the console*

That said, Bungie has released loads of great games (though I never played Minotaur, so can't comment on that). I wonder if they're going to make this what they wanted Halo to be when it was originally in development for the Mac.

They should have just remade Pathways into Darkness. That would be awesome.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't help but get the feeling that quote about "nobody wants to do it that way anymore" is being taken out of context or it's a misquote or something. It just seems too overwhelmingly arrogant, a vibe I've never really gotten from Bungie.

I think the contract that came out during the Activision/IW court case said something to the effect of the first game coming out for 360/PS3/PC with eventual ports to PS4/Xbox1080p with all future expansions and games coming out for the next gen consoles and PC, right? Or am I misremembering.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
In honor of this glorious, prestigious announcement I fired up the original Halo. I made an attempt to pay attention to the dialogue, and man, Bungie sure has a long history of basic, idiotic statements sounding like wise statements to them - for example, during the first level when the Covenant are invading the Pillar of Autumn? Cortana, super-advanced AI says "they're using our escape pod ports to get into our ship! We leave, they enter! Smart." which is such a basic, no-nonsense loving space battle tactic that I have just lost any faith Bungie has any sense of humility. It'll be a decent, competent sci-fi console shooter with a crazy marketing campaign, in a market flooded with them.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Jeff Gerstmann posted:

I love that a lot of people on the internet have turned into expert video game analysts, I just wish they had some analysis to offer beyond I AM DISPLEASED SO THERE MUST BE AN INSANELY CONVOLUTED CONSPIRACY BEHIND ALL THIS AND I HAVE FIGURED IT ALL OUTTTTTTTTT

edit: Do you think any of the people I’m describing were also the super-sleuths who were convinced that Sony was paying reviewers off to give lower reviews to Saturn games? Surely it’s a phase that people would have to grow out of at some point, right? Right?

This is an Activision-published game. They call the majority of the shots on the PR plan and, considering we’re talking about a game that isn’t likely to be out until next year, they’re following the standard, boring “don’t give out too much too early” playbook.

Anyone that went into that event expecting there to be a lot of gameplay shown hasn’t been doing this long enough. Activision was actually pretty up-front about that with me in the weeks leading up to the trip, though it was certainly slimmer than even I was expecting.

I love that people are so ready to loving rage about anything now. HOW DARE THEY ANNOUNCE A GAME WITHOUT HOURS OF GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, right? Consider that Destiny, though widely leaked, hadn’t even been announced until today. How many announcements come with gameplay footage? Are you out there saying the same thing about, I don’t know, The Witcher 3? Where is your GRRRRR IT’S A VIDEO OF A LOGO PANNING ACROSS THE SCREEN rage for their “trailer,” huh?

If anything, Activision and Bungie shouldn’t have started hyping this first batch of stuff up ahead of time. They created higher expectations than they should have, and now people are pissed. This was never meant to be some big blowout. By making a big deal about OH MAN THE MEDIA IS COMING TO VISIT they got everyone riled up for something that didn’t exist. Dumb move on their part, I guess.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

This is beautiful. Activision attempted to get a bunch of press and attention and hype for nothing. In waltzes Fatass McGamejourno, who in one post, both insults the community for getting eye-rolly about their stupid PR stunt, while calling out Activision for their stupid PR stunt.

Game journalism remains magnificently terrible.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

bloodysabbath posted:

This is beautiful. Activision attempted to get a bunch of press and attention and hype for nothing. In waltzes Fatass McGamejourno, who in one post, both insults the community for getting eye-rolly about their stupid PR stunt, while calling out Activision for their stupid PR stunt.

Game journalism remains magnificently terrible.

They DID get a bunch of press and attention. In Jeff's defence he's totally right, there's fault on both sides.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 18, 2013

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

They DID get a bunch of press and attention. In Jeff's defence he's totally right, there's fault on both sides.

The biggest publisher in the world successfully manipulates the shameless cottage industry existing as a glorified extension of the larger industry's marketing arm, due to being wholly reliant on said industry for revenue-generating early access/screens/etc.

Clearly, a sizable part of the problem in that equation is the rage of readers (the lot of which would be much better off if the entire sham that is game journalism imploded upon itself, at which point we could get our news and screens and videos directly from publisher marking departments. All we'd be doing is cutting out the ridiculous, posturing middleman.)

I know he gets a whole hell of a lot of hero worship for that time that CNET fired him, but Jeff isn't standing up and "telling it like it is." He's firmly entrenched in the muck and is as much a part of the problem as any other game journalist. "Activision's been telling ME that they were going to play the reveal close to the vest, what are YOU so upset about?" Give me a break.

Between this and the awful white knighting for DmC across the profession, I really do hope 2013 is the year where game journalists finally just lose their poo poo and, rather than play make believe that they're real professionals writing real copy, stick to a barrage of insults and passive aggression in each post.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That's a lot of "talking out the rear end" right there.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

JebanyPedal posted:

That's a lot of "talking out the rear end" right there.

People like Giant Bomb around here, so I will agree to disagree with you on Jeff. Fact remains that by the time Destiny 2 is announced, we will have media junkets and 15 page writeups on IGN and Giant Bomb, all on account of a single concept sketch.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was talking about the PR for Destiny, GiantBomb makes me laugh big belly laughs when I watch their videos so I try not to pay attention to any politics that might reduce my enjoyment of that, regardless of how shallow that sounds.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
To me, the most entertaining article was on the PA report.

This is what he wrote about a video of testers playing the game, not the game itself because the press was only shown about 10 seconds of gameplay.

Ben Kuchera posted:

We were shown video of two players enjoying Destiny during a recent press event at Bungie’s new offices. Destiny is Bungie’s follow-up to the Halo series, and we watched the players as their faces broke into smiles. One player leaned back to try to find the other in the room.

The game had thrown them together, and they began to work as a team without any prompting, and without any menus or party system getting between the interactions. This was the sort of emergent co-op game play that Bungie is looking for, and you could tell how proud they were of this snippet of video.

This is the heart of Destiny: An always-on, persistent, social first-person shooter. There will be no monthly fee. There could be microtransactions. The first game will be available on PS3 and Xbox 360. You need to be online to play it. Welcome to the future.
Right next to that was the "About PA Report" mission statement, bolded for emphasis:

quote:

"Games Journalism" is broken. Many sites suffer from forced output cycles, "news" about cakes, and playing along with the industry PR machine. We can do better.
Yes, indeed. You do a better job of playing along with the industry PR machine, Ben.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

It's disappointing that everyone is focused on this weird media... thing. What I took away from the announcements, personally, was that this game sounds loving amazing.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

bloodysabbath posted:

Between this and the awful white knighting for DmC across the profession,

And the truth in your opinion makes itself known.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

It's disappointing that everyone is focused on this weird media... thing. What I took away from the announcements, personally, was that this game sounds loving amazing.

Funny that you would say that because what I took away from the announcement was that I have no idea what to take away from the announcement. Other than vague promises of gameplay mechanics that is.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

My issue isn't with the press stuff or anything. Its just that it really doesn't sound all that amazing. And I think when its in the hands of the public, it won't be played how they want it to be played.

It sounds like a game that would have been amazing 5 years ago, but now it doesn't feel as epic as it should. Maybe Bungie just over hyped the announcement. I look forward to seeing it in action, I just feel like its a bit late.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The problem isn't so much that the game doesn't look interesting, but rather that there's literally nothing to say about it currently and everything is extremely vague. Games "journalists" meanwhile have dressed this fact up by doing what they always do; covering it in immense amounts of hype, sickly sweet methophors and promises that it is the second coming. Then when they're called out about it - because people rightly this time figure out that there's absolutely gently caress all to say in this presentation - the "journalists" proceed to go into their usual defensive arrogant mode and lash out at their readers for being stupid. After all readers are expendable, but :10bux: isn't.

It worked though! Activision got their hype, the press got their viewing count and the world kept spinning.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
First piece of music has been released: http://alphalupi.bungie.net/images/results/eighth.mp3

Two new wallpapers:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Two new wallpapers:

Lest we forget bungie made halo. I'm sorry but that is just too on the nose.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Good summary of the info released thus far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhysLkKCWdc

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Lest we forget bungie made halo. I'm sorry but that is just too on the nose.

Marathon fans said the same thing about Halo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
At this point I expect the next logo bungie designs to just be a circle with a big 7 in the middle.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
This industry is beyond parody. You have a press conference to show off what? concept art and no actual gameplay footage preceeded by a half hour (I think? hosed if I was going to sit through it) of two guys with stupid beards sitting in an empty office waffling, are they supposed to be journalists? because they just circlejerked about how smart Activision-Blizzzard was.
Also those 'isn't our office the coolest?' pictures are immensely pretentious. we don't give a gently caress what your work spaces look like you massive bellends, show us your poo poo console shooter lol, you make shooty man games in space you aint curing cancer holy poo poo.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

This industry is beyond parody. You have a press conference to show off what? concept art and no actual gameplay footage preceeded by a half hour (I think? hosed if I was going to sit through it) of two guys with stupid beards sitting in an empty office waffling, are they supposed to be journalists? because they just circlejerked about how smart Activision-Blizzzard was.
Also those 'isn't our office the coolest?' pictures are immensely pretentious. we don't give a gently caress what your work spaces look like you massive bellends, show us your poo poo console shooter lol, you make shooty man games in space you aint curing cancer holy poo poo.

Awesome. You don't appear to be able to tell the difference between IGN staff filling time and the first official announcement of a new 10 year franchise from the makers of Halo and the biggest publisher on the planet.

It's also defiantly something you should be getting angry about.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Bungie literally invented the genre of first-person shooters.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Awesome. You don't appear to be able to tell the difference between IGN staff filling time and the first official announcement of a new 10 year franchise from the makers of Halo and the biggest publisher on the planet.

IGN got an exclusive 30 minute period to talk about Destiny before anyone else could. They used that period for nothing of note. Then the reveal itself was a mix of concept art most people had already seen and boastful statements.

That is pretty pathetic for such a hyped event.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
We we're all doing it wrong with more than 2 weapons, circle strafing and rocket jumps before Bungie showed us the light with their boring rear end corridor shooter.

I'm not impressed by the size of a publishing house and maybe the IGN guys could have slipped in a bit of criticism with their fanboyism, like 'It's a bit arrogant and condescending to just assume people are going to buy this for 10 years isn't it?'

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
There's plenty of that kind of stuff floating around, you just won't see it on IGN. Check the Giant Bomb video linked in the OP for a more critical eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ReV VAdAUL posted:

IGN got an exclusive 30 minute period to talk about Destiny before anyone else could. They used that period for nothing of note. Then the reveal itself was a mix of concept art most people had already seen and boastful statements.

That is pretty pathetic for such a hyped event.

It is, it's a special sort of sadness. Blizzard's announcements of Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 came with 30 minute videos of the games themselves. Their new ideas (at the times), the general mechanics, the ambitions of the project, and a demonstration of what the game was supposed to be about in general.

Here we get some concept art and some vague hype-infested crap about something that is apparently quite revolutionary if you'll just wait another few months for two screenshots and a journo calling it mad sweet.

• Locked thread