Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The concept, premise, and setting here is very cool - I doubt it'll live up to the amazing potential they're hyping it up as, but I certainly hope it can come close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Wolpertinger posted:

The concept, premise, and setting here is very cool - I doubt it'll live up to the amazing potential they're hyping it up as, but I certainly hope it can come close.

I'm genuinely curious, what is especially interesting about it? MMOFPSes aren't particularly new, post apocalypse lost golden age of mankind is a cliche, the loot system is akin to armor unlocks from later Halo games with maybe a bit of Borderlands mixed in... What is enticing about it?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, this is a new thing.

Too bad I stopped caring about first person shooters in 1999. :effort:

I don't get it. What is there to care about in a game where it's mostly about aiming the cursor on the opposite side and pulling the trigger? Does the setting of the whole deal really make a bit of difference anymore? This could be set on the beach of Normandy and it probably wouldn't change how you interact with the environment around you. There's no good point to exploration, because it's all about killing people. That's what these games are about, right? Fast-paced action and fast-paced rewards, with maybe some sort of leveling up system to keep you invested.

And then we have Bobby Kotick, the man who promised to take the fun out of gaming.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what is especially interesting about it? MMOFPSes aren't particularly new, post apocalypse lost golden age of mankind is a cliche, the loot system is akin to armor unlocks from later Halo games with maybe a bit of Borderlands mixed in... What is enticing about it?

The gameplay itself isn't what has me interested, but the setting itself - sure, it's technically 'post apocalyptic sci fi' but it's hardly your standard example of that by any means.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Wolpertinger posted:

The gameplay itself isn't what has me interested, but the setting itself - sure, it's technically 'post apocalyptic sci fi' but it's hardly your standard example of that by any means.

Games like Halo, Tabula Rasa and Mass Effect have had very similar premises of reclaiming ancient technology and discovering the mysteries of ancient races. But hey, if you're excited for the setting fair enough, theres no harm in that.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Games like Halo, Tabula Rasa and Mass Effect have had very similar premises of reclaiming ancient technology and discovering the mysteries of ancient races. But hey, if you're excited for the setting fair enough, theres no harm in that.

Difference being this time that the 'ancient technology' is just Human technology from the relatively recent past that they were cut off from. In those games it's just "Unimaginably powerful race with reality defying technology that somehow died suddenly in spite of this."

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Bland posted:

Difference being this time that the 'ancient technology' is just Human technology from the relatively recent past that they were cut off from. In those games it's just "Unimaginably powerful race with reality defying technology that somehow died suddenly in spite of this."

No, theres also the mysterious alien race(s?) that nearly wiped out humanity and the mysterious alien sphere that saved humanity and gave it magic powers.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ReV VAdAUL posted:

No, theres also the mysterious alien race(s?) that nearly wiped out humanity and the mysterious alien sphere that saved humanity and gave it magic powers.

Very true, but still at least they went with "picking up the scraps of your own interplanetary empire after it got its poo poo slapped" instead of "Woah look at this mysterious planet and it's mysterious dealies that are surprisingly user friendly". And I expect they'll save the mystery of the big sphere thingy for Destiny 3: Return of Destiny

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

ReV VAdAUL posted:

No one has brought all these aspects together well. That's what makes it interesting. These ideas executed on with Bungie's flair and polish is exciting.

Using your own examples:

Halo: Mostly single player experience with traditional PC multiplayer modes.
Tabula Rasa: Garbage.
Mass Effect: Single player game who's mechanics got dumbed down with each new entry. No open world to explore, multiplayer horde mode added in 3rd game.

From the sounds of it Destiny is bringing more MMO trappings to FPS genre than other game has before and it certainly looks to be bringing more shooter staples to MMOs than other games have managed to do in the past.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 18, 2013

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Monster w21 Faces posted:

First piece of music has been released: http://alphalupi.bungie.net/images/results/eighth.mp3

Two new wallpapers:

Bungie really does tease my heart every time they reference the Marathon logo. Just go ahead and confirm that this new IP is all Durandal's end-of-the-universe dream or something and I'll buy a loving console no matter how lovely the game is.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Space Hamlet posted:

Bungie really does tease my heart every time they reference the Marathon logo. Just go ahead and confirm that this new IP is all Durandal's end-of-the-universe dream or something and I'll buy a loving console no matter how lovely the game is.

This kind of consumer whoring is just deplorable. As is people buying Limited Edition garbage and pre-ordering games based on a couple of lovely concept art drawings and a bunch of pictures of the studio's office or just pre-ordering games at all, period. This is the reason gaming journalism is such a joke. It is simply a refraction of the brain dead materialism that has infected the video gaming industry.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Geek U.S.A. posted:

This kind of consumer whoring is just deplorable. As is people buying Limited Edition garbage and pre-ordering games based on a couple of lovely concept art drawings and a bunch of pictures of the studio's office or just pre-ordering games at all, period. This is the reason gaming journalism is such a joke. It is simply a refraction of the brain dead materialism that has infected the video gaming industry.

As opposed to the good old days when video games weren't about owning and playing video games. What?...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

As opposed to the good old days when video games weren't about owning and playing video games. What?...

Listen man, back when I was 13, the games industry was PURE, goddamnit.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Don't be so willfully obtuse. Anyone who pre-orders is foolish but when someone outright states they will buy a product regardless of quality they're wholly deserving of mockery.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Don't be so willfully obtuse. Anyone who pre-orders is foolish but when someone outright states they will buy a product regardless of quality they're wholly deserving of mockery.

Calling that materialism when the games industry has always been solely about materialism is dumb as gently caress, though.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Alouicious posted:

Calling that materialism when the games industry has always been solely about materialism is dumb as gently caress, though.

Good thing I called it brain dead materialism/consumer whoring! It is very hard to be part of modern society and not be materialistic in some way, but there are certainly millions of people who take that beyond any kind of understandable materialism and push it into near mental illness. If you buy video games regardless of quality, if you feel depressed because you missed out on a "limited edition" video game, if you spend hundreds of dollars on a "rare" game which can be bought via digital means for 1/10th of the price then you've got a problem.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Eurogamer posted:

It is quite possibly the most expensive game ever made, with a budget that would make even 343 jealous and backed by a publisher rich off of two of the biggest games in the world: Call of Duty and Skylanders.

Er, is this true? I've vaguely heard of Skylanders before. Is this one of those casual/kids games that quietly becomes superhuge and makes loads of money? Google isn't helping me, and I'm still not sure whether or not it's a Spyro game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Geek U.S.A. posted:

If you buy video games regardless of quality, if you feel depressed because you missed out on a "limited edition" video game, if you spend hundreds of dollars on a "rare" game which can be bought via digital means for 1/10th of the price then you've got a problem.

Well, or a hardcore collector.

Doesn't make sense when it is not a part of a series, though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I, too, long for the halcyon days when games journalism was literally owned by publishers.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Good thing I called it brain dead materialism/consumer whoring! It is very hard to be part of modern society and not be materialistic in some way, but there are certainly millions of people who take that beyond any kind of understandable materialism and push it into near mental illness. If you buy video games regardless of quality, if you feel depressed because you missed out on a "limited edition" video game, if you spend hundreds of dollars on a "rare" game which can be bought via digital means for 1/10th of the price then you've got a problem.

If getting that limited edition or preordering that game does it for them, what's the problem? There's nothing inherently wrong with "brain dead materialism" if it genuinely makes people happy.

Cheston posted:

Er, is this true? I've vaguely heard of Skylanders before. Is this one of those casual/kids games that quietly becomes superhuge and makes loads of money? Google isn't helping me, and I'm still not sure whether or not it's a Spyro game.

They have Spyro in them but they're not Spyro games. They're essentially figurine based. The toys have RFID chips in them and then scan them on this peripheral thing (The Portal of Power!) to bring them into the game. The concept is actually pretty clever, I've never played one of the games though.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Geek U.S.A. posted:

I love Valve. I love Valve games. I love every game Valve has ever shipped. I've also bought every game Valve ever shipped. If Valve announced a new project with a ton of awesome concept art and outlined their goals for the project would I be a consumer whore for pre-ordering that game if it was immediately put up on Steam?

Valve have even gone on record as saying this is a very possible and interesting way of funding projects and I would say Kickstarter confirms it. That doesn't make people stupid for doing it. It shows they have interest in a product and have faith in the developers.

Cheston posted:

Skylanders is crazy huge with kids.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

They have Spyro in them but they're not Spyro games. They're essentially figurine based. The toys have RFID chips in them and then scan them on this peripheral thing (The Portal of Power!) to bring them into the game. The concept is actually pretty clever, I've never played one of the games though.

It's basically expensive on-disc DLC only you have to buy an overpriced plastic statuette to unlock it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
The data is stored on the figure itself too and there's levelling, skill trees and loot in fairness.

Yes it's a plastic thing that you don't really need but then it's for kids and I'm sure we all bought a ton of Pokemon crap when we were younger. I spent hundreds of dollars on Pokemon cards.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I, too, long for the halcyon days when games journalism was literally owned by publishers.

As opposed to today, when the largest print mag by volume is owned by a video game retail conglomerate that pushes preorders as an integral part of their business, and the largest game site is owned by a parent company (CBS) that literally forbids its reporters from reporting on products made by companies it sues.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Well, the space choirs are back at least. :geno:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's pretty disgusting. His Witcher 3 comparison doesn't hold up because CDProjekt didn't make a huge spectacle of the announcement by flying various outlets to their offices to show them that teaser then give them a press package filled with concept art and pictures of themselves doing stock photograph things "Guy points at screen". For such a big event, people have expectations and if they aren't met they will complain. Going off like that because this big things didn't produce anything substantial other than a bunch of concept art and words is just bad form. It's nice he calls them out a little bit at the end, though.

Hey, remember that Ubisoft press conference a few years ago when James Cameron came on stage and talked about Avatar for 20 hours? That's the rough equivalent of this event. Except here they actually talked about the game with sparse details. It's still just words and in an industry of interactive visual media, it's best to show.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just re-read the OP and saw no PC or even Macintosh. What the gently caress Bungie? Get off the fuckin' consoles and make real games thanks.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Activision says the game won't be out this year. This game is going to have the weirdest launch.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The whole event was just a stepping stone for the PR campaign of Destiny. I am not a huge fan of advertising but it was to make people award of the content of the first part of said campaign. The video, the concept art and what they are talking about. It's the official reveal of the game. Unfortunatly, while the concept (of the game) is exciting for me, it is not the best way to do a campaign in my opinion. It is too early and thing will change. I like Berthesda approche best , while a bit annoying, they dont say (almost) anything until they are at 6 month of the release date.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 18, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cheston posted:

It is so huge Disney created Infinity to just try and get in on the Skylander's racket.

Phoix posted:

Activision says the game won't be out this year. This game is going to have the weirdest launch.

I still think the big problem for Bungie is that while they'd like to launch only on next gen only the install base is initially going to be too small to make it profitable and keep it populated. So what they're probably going to try and do is leverage the current gen install base, get them hooked and then hope to get them to shift to the next gen console with the first expansion / sequel. I'd imagine there will be some kind of character or item carryover to further encourage this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It is so huge Disney created Infinity to just try and get in on the Skylander's racket.

I still think the big problem for Bungie is that while they'd like to launch only on next gen only the install base is initially going to be too small to make it profitable and keep it populated. So what they're probably going to try and do is leverage the current gen install base, get them hooked and then hope to get them to shift to the next gen console with the first expansion / sequel. I'd imagine there will be some kind of character or item carryover to further encourage this.

I'm absolutely convinced that it's going to launch on next-gen from day one but they aren't allowed to say that since neither of the platform vendors have started their own campaigns. So they're stuck using weasel language like "all platforms" and dodging any direct questions.

Also, it's all well and good to show low-information teasers, but if they did not modify their PR strategy to account for the leak then they're idiots. They had to show something brand new here and since it wasn't going to be the backstory and concept art, they should have drawn back the curtain further.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

gooby on rails posted:

I'm absolutely convinced that it's going to launch on next-gen from day one but they aren't allowed to say that since neither of the platform vendors have started their own campaigns. So they're stuck using weasel language like "all platforms" and dodging any direct questions.

Also, it's all well and good to show low-information teasers, but if they did not modify their PR strategy to account for the leak then they're idiots. They had to show something brand new here and since it wasn't going to be the backstory and concept art, they should have drawn back the curtain further.

This would make the pulling of gameplay footage all the more understandable.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Im getting real hyped over this. When I see those artwork pictures I just wanna jump into them and start exploring.
Bungie has proved time and time again that they know how to mix good gameplay with an interesting story, so i have no fear i that regard. If anything its a pretty unique take on the "humans looking for anchient alien artifacts" trope.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

This would make the pulling of gameplay footage all the more understandable.

Just show it on a high end PC like everyone else does. The coyness of this industry is utterly perplexing sometimes.

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:
As much as gaming journalists basically serve as PR parrots for the entertainment industry, I can't blame them for wanting to do something more with their work. Even if mainstream journalists are basically PR parrots these days too.

Edit: I have been waiting half of my life for an Oni sequel.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with all the art and music and footage that came out in the years before Halo and Oni were released. And neither of those games lived up to any of the amazing promises that were made. I still loved Oni, but my experience with those tells me that we should really scale back our expectations for this new game.

There was this rear end in a top hat kid of one of the developers who went to Macworld and kicked everybody's rear end in the (extremely buggy) Oni multiplayer demo, I hated that guy. I remember he was even mentioned in some publications because he apparantly travelled around to all the conferences pwning people.

G. Hosafat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 18, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cheston posted:

Its some weird bastardization of spyro. The trailers are shameful, and its supported by a massive toy series connected to the game.

I WANT MY CHILDHOOD BACK,rear end in a top hat.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Pasco posted:

Just show it on a high end PC like everyone else does. The coyness of this industry is utterly perplexing sometimes.

It's legally complex. Also as Bungie have 'no plans' to release Destiny on PC it wouldn't look good to say 'Here's the game running perfectly well on PCs...but we're not going to release it on PCs'.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I just hope this ends up being a fun game to grief with goons in, the last MMO I played was all about the metagame. Otherwise, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be impressed by Bungie's deviantart page; nothing was particularly original or compelling though I suppose the same could be said of Halo, and I loved that series. Still the idea of an MMOFPS is cool if they can make it fun, and since I don't PC game anymore it might give me an excuse to bother with consoles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's legally complex. Also as Bungie have 'no plans' to release Destiny on PC it wouldn't look good to say 'Here's the game running perfectly well on PCs...but we're not going to release it on PCs'.
But isn't that what Watch Dogs did? Why can't they just run it on a PC? Who cares. 2005 E3 most of the 360/PS3 prototypes/demos were running off of computers because the final devkits weren't out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I do wonder how their plans factor in the problem of the majority of online players being total assholes. It's not enough to just encourage cooperation, you have to make it as hard as possible to gently caress around.

Then again, they've spent the last 9 years or so running one of the top games on Xbix Live, so hopefully they picked up a few things.

• Locked thread